• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear 3rd-parties: If you can't port games to Switch without going super low res, don't do it

What's more important to you?

• Clean image

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Graphical details

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

DiscoJer

I have the Call of Cthulhu on the Xbone S and IMHO, it's just an ugly looking game, period. To me it looks like a 360 game.

The one I'm more interested in is The Sinking City

Azurro

Banned

Well, no, it can't, at least not from current gen games. There's always a huge resolution drop, texture quality reduction, reduction in geometry complexity, visual effects. They are all basically demakes, they can't keep the original quality.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Switch can't do good ports, devs need to chop, reduce and drop so many things to make games even run. Are you saying that it's ok for ports to be kinda shitty, but if they are TOO shitty then that is unacceptable?

Between a port that runs in low resolution and not being able to play the game at all, methinks I'm gonna pick the low resolution variant.

bronk

Banned
Just make a crappy switch version that is completely different like they did with all the wii ports.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How about watching (high quality user) videos before buying stuff rather than wanting your particular tastes and tolerance thresholds to be applied system-wide so nobody has options you don't want but can't decide to not buy but they may enjoy and wish to have, lol. Even you can look shit up.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, yes, since you also praise Witcher 3 in the OP as pointed out by others already, it's taste that apparently changes per title even, yet you propose applying it to all titles equally, contradicting your own self before you even begin making a half coherent point. Lol.

DESTROYA

Look OP most publishers want a quick cash in and don’t always have the resources to do a proper port.
You say you don’t put too much emphasis on graphics but then complain how games look :/

Last edited:
Ah, I meant from current gen games. Wii U ports on Switch are basically less dramatic remasters. :)
You seriously meant current Gen games?
ohyou.jpg

tassletine

Well switch is about 1/4 of xbox one performance when docked, so it can be impossible to port "big games" and have res+graphics on acceptable level.

Dont blame devs, blame nintendo.

Devs could just not make ports because switch is too weak, better than nothing?

I just dont get stuff for switch because most interesting ones arent even 720p.

Also, witcher 3 doesnt look good on switch. It looks like blurry shit. Or at least werent on native res on release.
No, blame Publishers, then the devs for accepting the bundles of cash. Or not.

Well switch is about 1/4 of xbox one performance when docked, so it can be impossible to port "big games" and have res+graphics on acceptable level.

Dont blame devs, blame nintendo.

Devs could just not make ports because switch is too weak, better than nothing?

I just dont get stuff for switch because most interesting ones arent even 720p.

Also, witcher 3 doesnt look good on switch. It looks like blurry shit. Or at least werent on native res on release.
The Witcher looks fine on Switch. Thinly veiled console fanboyism is the worst.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Not everyone has time or the ability to play these games in the optimal environment. I have a PS4, Xbox One X and a Switch and when I do have sit down time in front of the 55" 4K I will enjoy what I can but that is few and far between. With Switch, the ability to actually play a game is more important to me that having it be the most perfect version. I own Doom on both Xbox and Switch and I have put far more time into the Switch version. It's not the better version but it's the one I need right now. I have a bunch of kids, a wife a job and other things to do through out the day. Being able to play for 30min while waiting for the train is a far bigger joy.

KINGMOKU

I have an X1X and still buy games on the switch if I feel it's going to be a better on the go experience.

So dev's, make the cuts needed to get these games to run on the switch as there are far more people like me who want this type of experience then those who complain about graphics.

I feel every single console should be just like the switch. It's an absolute game changer.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
looks fine eeh!.... well then keep accepting downgraded ports years late ... @ FULL PRICE ... ROFL

I honestly think the Witcher 3 on Switch does indeed look fine. There is not a person worth their salt going to tell you it looks better than any other version however, good does not become bad simply because better exist.

Guys, I' complaining about games running in such low res it's a strain on the eyes. Pls check out the Disaster Report 4-demo on the Japanese eshop, then return to thois thread ...

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I weigh up the port quality versus convenience when buying for Switch. Sometimes I just don't want to sit in front of my PC for hours with certain games/genres.
Reality of the platform is it seemed to catch a lot of devs by surprise and they didn't factor Switch in at the stages of development where it is easier to cater for the requirements. Thus, usually inefficient ports mostly outsourced for development after the fact with teams that are going to have an easier time dialing down graphical settings than tailoring the game and environments for the handheld.

I don't think there is going to be a sudden point where that changes.
I'll be interested to see how Doom Eternal compares to Doom 2016 on this front.

Well, both are mutually exclusive to me. If I can't have both I'd rather wait a generation or so until the hardware is powerful enough, or I choose another platform 🤷‍♂️

Or just skip the game altogether.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
core gamers are such sissys. complain till the end times and probably even further. meanwhile I'm still completing my 360 collection and have the fun of my life, often with games that don't even look good. :messenger_relieved:

Shaqazooloo

It's always about you isn't it OP. What about those that like these ports even if extremely flawed?

Not everybody cares about this crap you know and if people are still buying and enjoying them, then it's best to have them then not.

Just because they port it, doesn't mean you have to buy it. These are companies generally looking for financial gain, so a shit port shouldn't be surprising. Burns are great scars for learning lessons.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I love DF, but i dont really like their Switch coverage. They are always so blown away that the Switch can run some games (Doom, Wolfenstein, Witcher 3 etc) that they completely forgive the shortcomings. Its like they are in a constant trance when it comes to Switch.

DOOM2016 was an eye opening review... super blurry resolution, missing effects, botched sound/music quality, and halved frame rate with drops (which on a game like this matters a huge deal, it is a gameplay altering change)... sigh 😔.

Cattlyst

Switch certainly can handle good ports. But an example of a bad one (visually) is Observer. I mostly played it in handheld which was fine, but the first (and only!) time I tried playing it on the TV, it was so blurry and lo-res I couldn't tell where I was going!

Just so you know, Disaster Report 4's demo runs horribly on PS4 as well. I think that game just wasn't put together well enough, so I was surprised to see it come to the Switch.

Haven't tried the Switch demo but based on what you said, it seems "the miracle never happen".

Just so you know, Disaster Report 4's demo runs horribly on PS4 as well. I think that game just wasn't put together well enough, so I was surprised to see it come to the Switch.

Haven't tried the Switch demo but based on what you said, it seems "the miracle never happen".

I don't know the PS4-version, but I'd bet my life that the PS4-version does *not* look like that. Again, all of you who reply 'not everyone cares about the same things, op' or 'better to have a bad port than none': go play that demo and come back :/

Kenpachii

Needed to get this off my chest.

I got Call of Cthulhu for Switch today. As a big Lovecraft-fan I really love the atmosphere so far (I'm at chapter 3), and the reviews saying it starts slow, well, so do Lovecraft novels.

But there's one big issue: The image quality is SUPER UNSHARP. It's so low res that it permanently looks like It's out of focus. Clearly that's because it's a quick and dirty port, just lowering resolution and calling it a day.

This isn't the first time. God Eater 3 Switch is similar, its resolution is so low you can't even see a character's face unless you force the camera closer by standing next to a wall. The worst example, however, would be that upcoming Disaster-game (forgot the name) that's coming for PS4 and Switch. The Switch-version is a joke. Go download the demo from the Japanese eshop if you don't believe me. Nobody should buy that version.

I'm not a graphics guy, you know. After all, I'm a Nintendo-fan. But the one thing important to me is a clean, crisp image. Drop poly count, details, shadows, whatever. But resolution us important. And it can bedone. Skyrim looks nice. Assassin's Creed 4
, too. Witcher 3 also. Clearly the issue is that some publishers just take a PS4-game, lower resolution until the game runs and that's it.

Please stop doing that. Thank.you.

Switch ports are just cash grabs there is no money on that console for devs to care for. If it takes them any effort where they actually have to rebuild assets and area's instead of just dropping settings to the point it runs, they probably don't even bother with it, because why not spend that time in additional content for the game for platforms u got audiences for.

It's either u get a shit version or u get nothing.

If nintendo wants to change this, they need to actually start spending some cash and create a platform for 3rd party's to care for or start to deliver a platform that's on par with competition.

Last edited:
Well, if it was close in power to something like xbone or ps4, you would see more good ports.
You can't expect 3rd party devs to allocate additional time and resources to make a switch port on par with ps4/xbone versions.
And even if they do, the port would still be inferior compared to ps4/xbone because there simply isn't enough power in Switch.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
They do it because they expect people to play it docked which hides the resolution on the smaller screen.
Sadly, this makes me think they’re never tried to play aim intensive game’s on handheld given the analog sticks are horrible.

royox

If you want current gent games running on switch at AT LEAST 30fps better get ready for low res, no AA, low draw distance, lots of popping, low shadows and bloom, loads of bloom and blurry details.

I don't know the PS4-version, but I'd bet my life that the PS4-version does *not* look like that. Again, all of you who reply 'not everyone cares about the same things, op' or 'better to have a bad port than none': go play that demo and come back :/
Hey now, don't throw your life away for a game that couldn't even be bothered to run decently on PS4 haha.

Joking aside, yea I'll try it out on Switch for the lulz. My previous reply was just meant to let you know the game isn't a case of "good elsewhere, bad on Switch".

Only way it'd run well was to get completely rebuilt, which would be a miracle of sorts, especially since it's probably a budget title to begin with.

I think only DQXIS comes close to being rebuilt and that's partly the devs honouring Iwata's request.

Edit: Or maybe it's possible for more technically savvy programmers to dive in and fix it, like what Panic Button did with Warframe. Either way, I wasn't expecting it to run well on Switch.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

At this point, publishers are more concerned about cashing in on the Switch's attach rate and loyal fanbase that seems to rebuy old games or never acknowledge a game until it's in the Nintendo ecosystem. Port quality is secondary.

Erm, as I said earlier I'd try the demo...

I don't think the main issue is the resolution, which I'm guessing is around 720p (could be lower) though if you're focused on the protagonist's facial features it does look like it's being blurred to hell while in motion. The game also has temporal AA that takes a while to kick in on certain edges.

The real issue is the framerate which is probably around 15fps and also something about how UE4 renders stuff: there's this blurry afterimage as you rotate the camera and the lower the framerate, the worse that effect feels.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's the kind of shitpost I expected. "lol Switch weaksauce accept it dude". 🙄

No. It's perfectly possible to make games with clean resolution on Switch. It either takes more effort ... or shouldn't be done. No Nintendo's fault, not the hardware's fault. Some 3rd-parties are greedy and *choose* to make these bad ports.
Are you trolling rn?

Top Bottom