• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadline: Disney Eyeing Chris Pratt For Indiana Jones Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guardians needed nerd cred, Indiana Jones doesn't. It's never particularly had it. They were huge blockbuster movies and helped cement Harrison Ford as one of the most famous and successful movie stars of the 80's. They don't need to cater to a demographic that has never had a particular association with the character anyway. Appealing to women is more important for a start.

Shouldn't be an issue considering that every woman I know is absolutely drooling over him, and I'm pretty sure he has been in the running for "sexiest man alive" and other things of the sort.

Jurassic World is really his big test for breaking out of the "lovable well intentioned oaf" role. Everything he's done so far has been in that wheelhouse.

Parks and Rec: Andy
Her: Andy as an office manager
Zero Dark Thirty: Andy with a gun
Lego Movie: Andy as a lego
GotG: Andy in space

If he can pull off the strong heroic guy role in Jurassic World, then the sky's the limit for his career.

Lol that was not 'Andy with a gun'. It wasn't by any means a serious role, but let's not get carried away it was more serious than his other stuff.

Vazduh

I'd rather see Matt Davis (Alaric in TVD) as the new Indiana Jones.

page_178827335.jpg

jtb

Banned
Pratt was in Moneyball too, right? Not really enough screentime to be anything other than "not bad" iirc

Blader

Why not Jeremy Renner?

I mean Sam Worthington?

I mean some other actor that was hot for a while and is basically forgotten now, much like Pratt's future.

man, what the hell happened to Sam Worthington's career? Is he just holding out for Avatar 2? Feel like I haven't seen him in anything since Clash of the Titans five years ago.

Lol that was not 'Andy with a gun'. It wasn't by any means a serious role, but let's not get carried away it was more serious than his other stuff.

I thought it pretty much was. In the final raid, sure he's shooting guys, but he's just one dark silhouette amongst a bunch of dark silhouettes in the darkness. When he's actually called upon to act in scenes with dialogue, he's pretty much Andy.

Mollymauk

stop it. fucking stop it.

chris pratt has no charisma. and, independent of my own dislike for him, it can't be good for his career to tie himself to two shitty Spielberg remakes destined to be far worse than the original

Pats fan?

BLACKLAC

oh I agree, I just think it's weird to use nerd appeal as a selling point.

Why would you think using nerd appeal as a selling point is weird in an age where comic book films dominate the box-office and has become mainstream pop culture?

FoneBone

man, what the hell happened to Sam Worthington's career? Is he just holding out for Avatar 2? Feel like I haven't seen him in anything since Clash of the Titans five years ago.

He kept making movies. Most of them haven't done terribly well.

Abounder

Banned
At least it's not the other "nerd appealing" Chris...Chris Pine that is. Other actors like Bradley Cooper would be great but who knows when Indy will return to the big screen; and Pratt is 5 years younger.

Disney should bring back the Big 3 for one last time and do it right (Spielberg, Ford, and John Williams). Have Pratt become the son that Indy wanted or whatnot

jtb

Banned
Why would you think using nerd appeal as a selling point is weird in an age where comic book films dominate the box-office and has become mainstream pop-culture?

because I hope (naively, obviously) that filmmakers want to make good films, not marketable ones.

I don't know who I would cast to replace Ford. Not Pine, though I do think he's charismatic.

The problem is that these days there aren't a whole lot of actors that have an iota of screen presence.

The problem Chris Pine has is he sometimes comes off as the cocky frat boy college dude you didn't want to hang out with. Whereas Chris Pratt is more of the goofy fun-loving college roommate you did want to hang out with.

I have a feeling the hype for this goofy dude is going to die once Jurassic World comes out. It's not that he's bad, it's just that he's Star Lord/Andy Dwyer. He's not Indiana Jones.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I dunno, Ford has an edge that Pratt lacks. Indy does light-hearted, but Han Solo has a dark streak beyond what you see from Star Lord. It's rogue-ish vs. boyish.

overcast

This is going to exist, which sucks. Pratt is okay, but I don't believe he will be up to par.

I'm more concerned by his delivery of the lines in that Jurassic World teaser than anything. Goddamn that was awful.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Good casting choice. He'd be stupid to turn it down. Make two or three movies after Guardians of the Galaxy winds down and voila. Set for life.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Usually GAF consensus on actors are wrong (e.g. Filion as Drake) but this is the first one I agree with. Would be a great fit for Indy. Hope this happens.

Harrison Ford is the only Indiana Jones, any reboot will fail.

What if it's not a reboot, just... a new Indiana Jones movie?

It's not like there's any big overarching continuity anyone's gotta adhere to. Just have there be a thing he needs to go steal, have him go try to steal it, Nazis fuck up his plans, he fucks up some Nazis.

Again - this series was concieved by Spielberg/Lucas as their answer to the James Bond series. There's no reason it can't still BE that. Complete with the recasting of the main actor when the main actor decides its time to go.

And yeah, you COULD just "make a new pulp adventure homage series" - but if you already own the name Indiana Jones, why wouldn't you USE it?

They paid for it. No reason not to use what they paid for.

Makonero

Next up: Chris Pratt as the lovable Marty McFly, going back in time to the year 1985 with Doc (David Tennant) to make sure his mom (Jennifer Lawrence) and dad (Andrew Garfield) get together.

Measley

Hollywood needs to just let some shit die. Seriously, come up with some new shit. We don't need to remake everything!

Tobor

What if it's not a reboot, just... a new Indiana Jones movie?

It's not like there's any big overarching continuity anyone's gotta adhere to. Just have there be a thing he needs to go steal, have him go try to steal it, Nazis fuck up his plans, he fucks up some Nazis.

Again - this series was concieved by Spielberg/Lucas as their answer to the James Bond series. There's no reason it can't still BE that. Complete with the recasting of the main actor when the main actor decides its time to go.

And yeah, you COULD just "make a new pulp adventure homage series" - but if you already own the name Indiana Jones, why wouldn't you USE it?

They paid for it. No reason not to use what they paid for.

Agreed. Indy is more like Bond. No reason not to continue.

As for your earlier comment, who will direct it?

Abrams? He could win the nerd trifecta and do it. :)

Lé Blade Runner;149394557 said:
Chris Pratt certainly looks the part, but I still wouldn't see him as Indy.

It's a reboot. A different Indiana Jones would be fine. They shouldn't mimic Harrison's take. I see no problem with this. It doesn't need to be exactly the same. In fact if they tried too hard to replicate Ford's acting and character it wouldn't feel genuine. The point of a reboot should be to take the original formula and make it new, inject new life into it. Just doing a carbon copy of everything isn't the way to go.

It's a reboot. A different Indiana Jones would be fine. They shouldn't mimic Harrison's take. I see no problem with this. It doesn't need to be exactly the same. In fact if they tried too hard to replicate Ford's acting and character it wouldn't feel genuine. The point of a reboot should be to take the original formula and make it new.

They could probably go the James Bond route with Indiana Jones and I'd be fine with it. Same character, different actor worked for that series and they are both fun action movies.

The worst possible news. Leave Indian Jones alone, first of all. Second, for the love of everything, Chris Pratt should not be an actor... I strongly dislike that guy, fuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom