• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe questions if Sony missteps are down to management (Max_Po tries to create drama, misuses English, new thread privileges at risk!!)

I don't always agree with Jaffe, I think he has gone off the deep end--but he may know some things we don't.

1 - Jim's version of Sony is not as straightforward as they have been from the mid PS3 until he took over recently.
2 - MS has all their pieces placed in a way that they could execute well this time around (not a given, but they do seem set to do well).

Where I disagree is that contrarily to when the 360 was launched MS has no inherent advantage, Sony has a GamePass equivalent, they apparently just need to adjust a couple of parameters (I personally think PSNow is already better than GamePass, it has more games and they are arguably better, games remain day-and-date only for a day)... but anyway, Sony can have their 1st party exclusives day-and-date, etc. that will pretty much settle the score on that level.

I don't think the specs difference between series s and the PS5 is significant (How could it be given how the series s is apparently performing?).

I agree with some of your points, but I would love to know why you truly believe that the XSS' specs are not that much difference from the PS5.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who cares what some old dude on youtube thinks?

Honestly I was mostly surprised by him complaining about the messaging around next gen, particularly not kicking back on the "we believe in generations" line somehow meaning that all Playstation product going forwards was going to be PS5 only. For someone around as long as Jaffe, that's an unforgivable mistake because it was never going to happen for economic and logistical reasons.

Not to mention the fact that its just another in a long line of specious "gotchas" that have been aimed at Sony for the last few years because objectively there hasn't been much of any real substance to complain about.

The reality is that for all the hand-wringing Sony have been under no real pressure to do more than they have done.

DeaDPo0L84

I know news shitting on your console rival is fun to post but I feel like we're now taking everyone out of context to push a narrative. This shit is turning into politics at this point.

Last edited:
Clearly you don't know who David Jaffe is, and I don't blame you since it's been so, so long ago. I wasn't referring to him as a "Youtuber". Google is your friend.

My question stands. How is David Jaffe relevant today?
I know who David Jaffe is.
But then, since everyone can just state his/her opinion on youtube, and sometimes this is being discussed here, how is his opinion any less relevant than anybody else's?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Me: Holy fuck! I got the Mark Cerney special edition PS5!
You: How the FUCK do you know that Jaffe?!?
Me: Cause there's fuckin' CORN in this feces, pal! You know Mark Cerney, the man loves him some corn!!!
main-qimg-8159623dca7e0d520f34f427cde17a5a

Everybody is just hyped off the current news cycle. Emotional. Xbox still doesn’t have any first party launch games. PS5 has 5. In the immediate future too PS5 has a better line up with more games. Xbox is still selling promises, potential, and hopes. There’s nothing tangible like PS5.

^This

People dont realize that while all the moves that MS has made are great they still have a very weak launch line up and 2021.

Sony will be set for this year and 2021 if all of those exclusives come out and turn out to be good games.

We really won’t see the benefits of MS recent moves and acquisitions until maybe 2023.... I don’t believe starfield will come next year.

And this is coming from someone who pre-ordered both systems.

On Demand

Banned
Xbox does not distinguish so the numbers don't exist
But not a single bit of it has anything to do with the argument that anyone who has not been signed up for PSplus which is the numbers provided for years and years, those people do not get anything resembling the value of Gamepass. Going into a new generation having Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield, Future ID games all dropping day one with no cost to you outside an existing subscription is friggen HUGE. that doesn't cut against Sony exclusive games as a new God of War will certainly be worth more than $70, I wouldn't pay that for a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn though (I paid $19 for the first, it was a good looking game that was.. better than average but not amazing)

XBL gold does not have 90M subscribers. Active users are not subscribers. I don’t know what else to tell you.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Something is off at Sony. I will never for the life of me understand why they built a console that requires an odd little stand regardless of orientation. It literally can't stand on it's own.

Still, the games they've shown look good. I will not be cancelling my pre-order Mr. Jaffe.

Seriously? What if the stand somehow breaks? Then you have to buy a new stand for 99 bucks?

What a stupid design seriously.

tryDEATH

1% of all PS5s sold were digital edition so... TV is still a non-factor... always online still isn't required...

USA is the biggest market, certainly is for Microsoft. What does "full game" mean, though? They're charging 20 dollars less for it. Not a remaster... remake... it'd do you well to recognize the difference there. You mention what a majority of people consider but in that case what does the MAJORITY consider that has them considering XBOX over PS5?

The game was delayed because of how bad it looked leaving their launch line-up relatively empty. TLOU 2 and GoT are two record-breaking, well reviewed exclusive games... something XBOX doesn't have much of. What is this laundry list you're hinting at? Games being 10 dollars more, for instance? You really think XBOX games won't be the same? Maybe you mean the pre-order thing which wasn't on SONY but retailers? The only thing I can think of that's somewhat legit is the upgrade path question for Spider-Man but I can't name many remasters with upgrade paths, can you?

So PS5DE didn't sell out?
Consoles aren't used as TV? Netflix, HBOMAX, Disney+, YouTubeTV, and SlingTV
And an online connections isn't required for the aforementioned services and digital game libraries? Me and you must be living in two completely different universes.

Europe is the 2nd biggest market and they are getting shafted for 17 Euro's PER game. Full Game means that it isn't a DLC like Miles Morales is and charging an additional $20 for a Remaster of the original game that released about 2 years ago.

What people consider when buying a console is the price, the eco-system, and power of a console. That combined gives you a value proposition and Xbox simply offers you a much better value. You are getting more for your initial investment in a significantly better eco-system that has GamePass that in itself has an unmatched value, and on top of that a better console that will play all 3rd party titles better.

The laundry list include things like lack of proper Controller support, price hike(currency conversion), Charging extra for "remasters", the whole "We believe in Generations" shtick, Inferior back compatibility, no full cross-generation support, and the atrocious pre-order event there are probably 1 or 2 other things that have happened since the announcement, but this list will suffice. I already know you will ignore all these because they don't concern you thus they are completely and utterly irrelevant to every single person, so you can spare me the excuses.

Last edited:
Reactions: M16

JCK75

XBL gold does not have 90M subscribers. Active users are not subscribers. I don’t know what else to tell you.

The numbers don't matter to the discussion at hand, only numbers we got, so even comparing that to PSN numbers which is the same case, the numbers are not hugely different..
the entire point is that you don't have the entire userbase on PS+ for years to collect 100 games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
^This

People dont realize that while all the moves that MS has made are great they still have a very weak launch line up and 2021.

Sony will be set for this year and 2021 if all of those exclusives come out and turn out to be good games.

We really won’t see the benefits of MS recent moves and acquisitions until maybe 2023.... I don’t believe starfield will come next year.

And this is coming from someone who pre-ordered both systems.

Well the truth is that until stuff actually hits the market, its all hypothetical anyway.

You could have 100 studios pumping out well-built but games, but if they don't catch the public's imagination you're dead in the water. I mean, what was the name of that Ninja Theory arena combat thing? That seemed like a lot of time and care was put into it, but I can't even remember its name because it fell off the map so fast.

The numbers don't matter to the discussion at hand, only numbers we got, so even comparing that to PSN numbers which is the same case, the numbers are not hugely different..
the entire point is that you don't have the entire userbase on PS+ for years to collect 100 games.

If Gamepass really takes off all SONY need to is start offering ALL prior PS+ games at once as part of the PS+ library which receives 2-4 new games per month. But they're probably doing a wait and see.

IT was apparently a “power struggle”. He has a long history with the company and he’s even fluent in Japanese. He is like the perfect employee for Sony. Then you have to consider what happen when they moved their main base of operations to the US. Did that cause upper management to disrupt the culture over at PlayStation? I’m curious myself. Sony had the nice group of people behind them. Andrew House and Adam Boyes left. Layden left right after they showed off that dramatic TLoU2 trailer inside a church.

Exactly. That was a dream team of people running PlayStation during that era, and it's so weird that virtually none of them are there anymore. Then there's the talk of some "discussions" (with potent differences) between the American and Japanese side over where they wanted to take the PS5 in terms of certain features and specs (as well as pricing) and I'm just wondering if there's an ideological clash there at present. If so, to what intensity?

I could make a joke about California in this, something always gets a bit screwy when California's involved these days xD.

NullZ3r0

Banned
This guy hasn't done shit worth playing since the first god of war yet for some reason people still act like what he says matters. Every poll shows PS5 crushing xbox, every social media metric shows a lot more interest in PS5 and more people pre-ordered the PS5 than the xbox.
Polls don't mean shit when its a bunch of enthusiasts, mainly PlayStation fans. If you have been console gaming as long as I have, you've seen powerhouses like Sega and Nintendo relegated to niche products for the hardcore fans of those games. It's all because they got comfortable in their market and failed to innovate.

Fundamentally, the PS5 is no different than the PS4 or PS3. It's a console that mainly plays local games. Sony's very good at that and they make very good games. But eventually the mainstream market will shift and certain strong competitors will be in a better position to capitalize on it.

Sony faces the same problem as market leaders in other industries. Big changes are too risky and could upset their current consumer base. But these changes require short-term pain for long term gain. Few corporate leaders, most of whom have short tenures, are willing to take that hit. So a competitor can assume that risk because they have nothing to lose and end up reaping the reward.

Sony has nothing in the bag. During their successful run, the only times they didn't lose massive market share is when their competitors were either late (Xbox), niche (Nintendo) or incompetent (Xbox One). The one time they had competent competition (Xbox 360), they lost nearly half their market share. The only way they recovered with the PS3 is reversing bad policies, dropping the price and making great games. Also, bad management on the Xbox side decided to invest in a gimmick with Kinect instead of AAA games which caused the Xbox 360 momentum to fizzle out and Sony was able to catch up. But still sold less than the previous generation, which is a big L.

Sony has no such advantage this time. If they fall behind like they did with the PS3, their games advantage will be lost. Because once those MS studios start pumping out AAA titles, it won't stop. MS has 23 studios. The games won't stop coming. On top of that Xbox has the clear power advantage and so these games will start to pull away from PS5 titles visually.

So tone down the fanboy arrogance. If Sony doesn't reverse their course, they're in trouble.

Last edited:

JCK75

If Gamepass really takes off all SONY need to is start offering ALL prior PS+ games at once as part of the PS+ library which receives 2-4 new games per month. But they're probably doing a wait and see.
I agree completely, I'd wager they are already making plans.. I mean I can't blame them if they don't do it right away especially if they have crazy sales at $70 a pop.. I don't know that it will impact the decisions of younger gamers, but me and all my middle aged dad friends really don't rush to buy every game at $70 any more and just having it covered in an affordable service makes it worthwhile. I don't play on consoles much, I still have not finished GOW (and was amazed that I made time to finish spider-man)

jaysius

Banned
I'm not sure why we're still listening to Laffy Jaffe anymore, didn't you know Reeeeee already canceled him ages ago because he sneezed the wrong way? :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

On a serious note, I'm sure he still has valuable industry insight, but his golden touch has turned to shit for his last few attempts at game making... anyone remember Drawn To Death?

I agree completely, I'd wager they are already making plans.. I mean I can't blame them if they don't do it right away especially if they have crazy sales at $70 a pop.. I don't know that it will impact the decisions of younger gamers, but me and all my middle aged dad friends really don't rush to buy every game at $70 any more and just having it covered in an affordable service makes it worthwhile. I don't play on consoles much, I still have not finished GOW (and was amazed that I made time to finish spider-man)

I'm not quite middle-aged but I'm in the same ballpark and also rarely buy games brand new... but I DO buy games brand new, just rare a game commands that from me any more. This year it was just Doom Eternal.

On Demand

Banned

I don’t care about your point. You made some incorrect claims and comparisons and I’m correcting you. Once again

XBL-XBL gold

PS plus- PSN

PSN has over 113M monthly active users across PS4 and PS3. PS plus has 45M subscribers.

MS not separating XBL and gold doesn’t mean anything other than they’re hiding numbers and boasting them up like they always do.

The facts are

XBL has 90M monthly active users across all XBL accounts you sign into on whatever devices. That includes phones, laptops, tablets, games on other platforms like Minecraft on PS4.

Yes PS4 because of the XBL account required is contributing to the 90M monthly active users on XBL. Funny isn’t it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I don't always agree with Jaffe, I think he has gone off the deep end--but he may know some things we don't.

1 - Jim's version of Sony is not as straightforward as they have been from the mid PS3 until he took over recently.
2 - MS has all their pieces placed in a way that they could execute well this time around (not a given, but they do seem set to do well).

Where I disagree is that contrarily to when the 360 was launched MS has no inherent advantage, Sony has a GamePass equivalent, they apparently just need to adjust a couple of parameters (I personally think PSNow is already better than GamePass, it has more games and they are arguably better, games remain day-and-date only for a day)... but anyway, Sony can have their 1st party exclusives day-and-date, etc. that will pretty much settle the score on that level.

I don't think the specs difference between series s and the PS5 is significant (How could it be given how the series s is apparently performing?).

Huh? The difference between the Series S and PS5 is significant. Did you mean Series X?

Hezekiah

Banned
Sony has no such advantage this time. If they fall behind like they did with the PS3, their games advantage will be lost. Because once those MS studios start pumping out AAA titles, it won't stop. MS has 23 studios. The games won't stop coming. On top of that Xbox has the clear power advantage and so these games will start to pull away from PS5 titles visually.

So tone down the fanboy arrogance. If Sony doesn't reverse their course, they're in trouble.
Lots of wishful thinking there. I'll be amazed if Microsoft's first-party games look better than Sony's - never mind play better 😁.

The title of this post is completely wrong.

He does not talk about sales numbers at all. He does not say they sales numbers will be like Gamecube/N64. He was just comparing the reasons why to purchase a PS5. People bought N64/Gamecube (or pretty much all Nintendo consoles since then except for the Wii) just for the exclusives. Nintendo's first party line up is what brings people in, not third-partys. Almost everyone on here agrees with that. He was just stating that he thinks that is the position that PS5 is going to be in. When you attempt to sell a console to someone it is going to be like, "Well you can go with PS5, where their exclusives are amazing and beloved, or got with XSX where you can get Gamepass, some good exclusives, and third parties should run better." Pretty much the arguments that have been said on Gaf since the release of the Xbox One X, except for the potential increase in good exclusives.

Someone wanted to hear negativity,and so they did. Rather than listen to what he was saying and truly think it through, a reactionary post was made. You can disagree with him and think that PS5 has more selling points than its exclusives, but you cannot just make up saying the guy was talking about sales numbers.

Why are fanboys so obsessed with sales numbers?
Quoted again for truth.

It’s sad to think that many of today’s “professional” game journalists are no better than the OP.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
And the SX is ugly and looks silly with it laying sideways so what the point in making it attached?

We can argue semantics all day.

I'd rather have an ugly console than an ugly console that's worthless without a stand that is just fucking stupid. I don't care about either though, my pc is standing nice without any necessary peripherals.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

David Jaffe also told me he is certain Joe Biden will win in November. I think we can trust David Jaffes opinions guys.

tenor.gif

mckmas8808

Polls don't mean shit when its a bunch of enthusiasts, mainly PlayStation fans. If you have been console gaming as long as I have, you've seen powerhouses like Sega and Nintendo relegated to niche products for the hardcore fans of those games. It's all because they got comfortable in their market and failed to innovate.

Fundamentally, the PS5 is no different than the PS4 or PS3. It's a console that mainly plays local games. Sony's very good at that and they make very good games. But eventually the mainstream market will shift and certain strong competitors will be in a better position to capitalize on it.

Sony faces the same problem as market leaders in other industries. Big changes are too risky and could upset their current consumer base. But these changes require short-term pain for long term gain. Few corporate leaders, most of whom have short tenures, are willing to take that hit. So a competitor can assume that risk because they have nothing to lose and end up reaping the reward.

Sony has nothing in the bag. During their successful run, the only times they didn't lose massive market share is when their competitors were either late (Xbox), niche (Nintendo) or incompetent (Xbox One). The one time they had competent competition (Xbox 360), they lost nearly half their market share. The only way they recovered with the PS3 is reversing bad policies, dropping the price and making great games. Also, bad management on the Xbox side decided to invest in a gimmick with Kinect instead of AAA games which caused the Xbox 360 momentum to fizzle out and Sony was able to catch up. But still sold less than the previous generation, which is a big L.

Your whole post is wack. Sony is still innovating. What world are you living in sir? From the controller to still pushing VR, they are innovating just as much as Nintendo and MS. They have their own way of innovation. Their cooling system in the PS5 is literally the first time anything been done this way to cool a system. PSNow has been around for at least 3 to 4 years, whereas Xcloud is just now becoming a thing.

Plus the PS3 didn't fall behind anyone during that gen. The CELL processor and Blu-ray drives just cost too much. And the CELL was too hard to program for, for the first 3 years.

Keihart

Exactly. That was a dream team of people running PlayStation during that era, and it's so weird that virtually none of them are there anymore. Then there's the talk of some "discussions" (with potent differences) between the American and Japanese side over where they wanted to take the PS5 in terms of certain features and specs (as well as pricing) and I'm just wondering if there's an ideological clash there at present. If so, to what intensity?

I could make a joke about California in this, something always gets a bit screwy when California's involved these days xD.
It's funny because i didn't read even one thread or headline talking about this changes but i've been cautiously bringing it up since Shuhei Yoshida 's move over to the indie department. There have been several management changes over the years but Yoshida's presence in WWS was always a constant, so watching him move away from that position makes you question what's going on, he is not retiring and he loves games. Andrew House leaving was weird too not to mention Adam Boyes who was very Close with Shuhei behind the indie love during the PS3/PS4 era.

Weird times for PS for sure, they don't even have a corporate face or messaging towards the community as they used to do.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Lots of wishful thinking there. I'll be amazed if Microsoft's first-party games look better than Sony's - never mind play better 😁.
Wishful thinking? So all these teams that are capable of pumping out quality AAA games are all of a sudden going to go to shit now that they have access to near unlimited funding?

I'm the one wishful thinking? You do realize that even if half of those studios pan out, Xbox will still have better games than the previous 3 generations combined?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

On Demand

Banned

That’s all XB fans and MS have, the potential and promises of the future. Nothing current. It’s laughable they used that as some sort of an advantage. How does that 3 to 5 year off wishfulness help XB now? In that 5 years it takes for those 23 studios to get going at a normal rate, do people really think Sony is going to stand still? Their first party software output and studios will obviously increase during that time and become even better than they are now already.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Don't be a drama queen OP:

Came across this video out of the blue.

- Says New Management is probably going to take some time to settle in.
- Says that why will anyone go to retailer and buy a game when they can get it free (via Active sub of course)
- Says he is 50+ and more into mini/indie style games.
- States that he is getting an XboxS_x

By the way, I feel that this notion of "getting it fee" is a bit of a stretch.

Even on PSN+ there have been numerous hits like Rocket League...

"Came across this video out of the blue."
iu

Iced Arcade

Not that I believe

But... No one expected the N64 traction coming off the heels of the SNES. Sony came in and locked up exclusives.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
Your whole post is wack. Sony is still innovating. What world are you living in sir? From the controller to still pushing VR, they are innovating just as much as Nintendo and MS. They have their own way of innovation. Their cooling system in the PS5 is literally the first time anything been done this way to cool a system. PSNow has been around for at least 3 to 4 years, whereas Xcloud is just now becoming a thing.

Plus the PS3 didn't fall behind anyone during that gen. The CELL processor and Blu-ray drives just cost too much. And the CELL was too hard to program for, for the first 3 years.
Making the system the size of a fat toddler is one way to keep it cool. But I wouldn't exactly call it innovative. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony has dipped their toe in game streaming, VR and a "Netflix-style" subscription service. But neither of these are full commitments. I see Sony's attempt here just like the camera that was supposed to ship with the PS4. It was there just in case that took off. Microsoft went in hard with Kinect with the Xbox One and struck out.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Jaffe reminds me of the giantbomb guys, they had the passion once but they've become old and cynical.

I HAVE become Old(er), for sure. Beats the alternative, sir.

That said, cynical? Not at all. In fact, as I've done less development work these last few years I've fallen BACK in love with the games medium. Amazing how that works.

I'm very excited for this new gen, across the board. And I've been gaming like a fiend these days.

Having an opinion that runs contrary to yours doesn't make one cynical. It just makes one...different.

JAFFE

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Seems to me that PS5 has more innovation in its hardware design than Xbox Series S/X has.

What changes are they supposed to make? Invest literally billions into back-end cloud infrastructure when unlike MS they don't have a server/enterprise market to serve with the same resources because they aren't in that business! What are you suggesting, Sony can only win by becoming MS?

Ummm, every Playstation console run has been successful. PS1 dominant, PS2 dominant, PS3 bad start but recovered to be on par with 360 sales by the end, PS4 dominant.
Not to mention the fact that they shifted a 50m+ PS2's and a load of PSP's post 360 launch. The losses incurred during that period were mostly self-inflicted wounds, like the huge hit they took subsidizing PS3, the security breach. etc. That this did any long-term damage to brand can be disproved by simply looking at the performance of PS4.

This is all patently untrue. This gen is all about continuity thanks to PS4 and Xbox having B/C in both software and services. The online infrastructure is already built and highly profitable, their stable of self-owned IP is at its largest and best in Playstation's entire history, their new hardware is competitively priced, their launch line-up is way stronger than Xbox, they have more momentum and mindshare, particularly globally.

They haven't already overtaxed demand on their back catalog, they have hardware that by all accounts devs find effective and useful to work with, they aren't over-reliant on the proven failed notion that power=sales, they aren't confusing the market with vague naming conventions and annoying devs by forcing them to work on a multitude of SKU's including a base level certain to restrict their options.

Most of all they aren't burning money at nearly the same rate MS are as they aren't trying to fight a battle on multiple fronts simultaneously.

I HAVE become Old(er), for sure. Beats the alternative, sir.

That said, cynical? Not at all. In fact, as I've done less development work these last few years I've fallen BACK in love with the games medium. Amazing how that works.

I'm very excited for this new gen, across the board. And I've been gaming like a fiend these days.

Having an opinion that runs contrary to yours doesn't make one cynical. It just makes one...different.

JAFFE
Whenever I see your name I want to eat jaffa cakes.

mckmas8808

Making the system the size of a fat toddler is one way to keep it cool. But I wouldn't exactly call it innovative. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sony has dipped their toe in game streaming, VR and a "Netflix-style" subscription service. But neither of these are full commitments. I see Sony's attempt here just like the camera that was supposed to ship with the PS4. It was there just in case that took off. Microsoft went in hard with Kinect with the Xbox One and struck out.

Dipped their toe into steaming? LOL!!! They've been doing it for 4 years. All the need to do (and this is a lot of work) is make it work on smartphones again.

This guy hasn't done shit worth playing since the first god of war yet for some reason people still act like what he says matters. Every poll shows PS5 crushing xbox, every social media metric shows a lot more interest in PS5 and more people pre-ordered the PS5 than the xbox.
That’s not really hard when Europe and Japan would buy anything that has a PlayStation logo on it. Doesn’t mean much.

Max_Po

Banned
Hello Everyone, English is my second language. Sometimes I read the posts I make several times to make sense. I did not want to create Drama. When I stated N64/GameCube I took it as David Jaffie was stating that the appeal of N64/GameCube was the first party and as those consoles are remembered today for First Party and they did sell rather low compared to others. So in the sense down the road the PS5 will be less appealing as a value proposition.

Top Bottom