• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe questions if Sony missteps are down to management (Max_Po tries to create drama, misuses English, new thread privileges at risk!!)

Max_Po

Banned
Don't be a drama queen OP:

I never said Sony management was 'incoherent'. That doesn't even make sense. What, you think I'm suggesting when they speak no one understands what they are saying?!?

I'm not 50+. I'm 49.

To those going on about 'being relevant': most who talk about such things have yet to be relevant in their own lives. As someone who has been very relevant in games at one point I can assure you, it's fun for a few months and then it's whatever. It's not something most people chase or cling to. When you have it you are no more or less happy than before you got it; when it goes you don't really care if you've got your shit together. One day- if you become relevant too- you will learn that it (like fame) isn't something worth chasing.

Jaffe

Came across this video out of the blue.

- Says New Management is probably going to take some time to settle in.
- Says that why will anyone go to retailer and buy a game when they can get it free (via Active sub of course)
- Says he is 50+ and more into mini/indie style games.
- States that he is getting an XboxS_x

**Edit**

Hey guys, I want to apologize and edit the OP I have no intension of creating Drama . English is my second language and I try to read my post multiple times so they make most sense.
I have no vendetta against David Jaffe or create a narrative to misrepresent David Jaffe. I love his work from Twisted metal/GoW/Calling all Cars
I think what I meant was he mentions PS5 to N64 and GameCube because after first party XboxGPass might present more value and PS5 will loose appeal (make sense ?)..

By the way, I feel that this notion of "getting it fee" is a bit of a stretch.

Even on PSN+ there have been numerous hits like Rocket League...

Last edited:
This guy hasn't done shit worth playing since the first god of war yet for some reason people still act like what he says matters. Every poll shows PS5 crushing xbox, every social media metric shows a lot more interest in PS5 and more people pre-ordered the PS5 than the xbox.

Last edited:

DarkBatman

- Says that why will anyone go to retailer and buy a game when they can get it free (via Active sub of course)

Those two points are so pathetic, it hurts.
As long as there's a LONG list of publishers who don't just throw their game "for free" on a Netflix like platform, people will buy physical copies.

And I don't really have to comment on the "Im 50+ and don't even play AAA games anymore, I'm more the indie style gamer" stuff... this is just the typical "Well, I don't care either way, I play the little games" BS that only leads to the question why he had to make such a stupid video in the first place.

This guy hasn't done shit worth playing since the first god of war yet for some reason people still act like what he says matters. Every poll shows PS5 crushing xbox, every social media metric shows a lot more interest in PS5 and more people pre-ordered the PS5 than the xbox.

You do realize that we're - on a global scale - a tiny minority of a couple million hardcore hobbyists? All that's happening right now is us making little waves for the marketing depts to pick up. There's more than ten fold that amount of casuals who haven't even heard of new consoles being released, yet.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
6R1gOZL.gif

Kagey K

Banned
It will be closer this gen but Sony are still going to dominate and sell the most consoles compared to MS.
Just like with the PS3/360 gen I’m more interested to see how much MS can pick up and how much Sony can lose.

People were going into this gen with the same attitude as when they transitioned from 2 to 3 and I want to see if the results are similar.

There's no denying that the communication folks at PlayStation need to be looked into. They're making amateur mistakes that you would expect an inexperienced team of 23 year olds to make at their first job out of college.

Outside of them, the rest of PlayStation are doing a remarkable job. I could be wrong, but I think their efforts will lead to another generation where PlayStation performs exceptionally well. In other words, I think Jaffe should pull out another napkin and get to ideating because being a YouTube seer might not cut it.

Dthomp

Nah, he is wrong in that sales department.
He is right that Sony is acting very weird, obfuscating what they are doing even, and not doing the right things lately with the PS5.

Yeah I really don't understand the secrecy at this point, it's beyond annoying from all sides. My I guess...hope? Is that they are just trying to be like Nintendo with keeping stuff to themselves til literally right before launch? I don't know if I even think that's actually what is happening here. Obviously some of the weird is likely covid related across the board but we are in the home stretch and I feel like we are still 8 months out with the limited info from all involved

Bridges

Your thread title doesn't match the content of the video, he says "they're gonna become Nintendo circa Gamecube/N64", and he immediately clarifies by saying it's because the sole reason to buy a Playstation 5 is exclusives, and otherwise there aren't any major selling points that competition doesn't do equally or better.

He never said a thing about sales numbers in that video you posted.

Yeah I really don't understand the secrecy at this point, it's beyond annoying from all sides. My I guess...hope? Is that they are just trying to be like Nintendo with keeping stuff to themselves til literally right before launch? I don't know if I even think that's actually what is happening here. Obviously some of the weird is likely covid related across the board but we are in the home stretch and I feel like we are still 8 months out with the limited info from all involved
It's weird to see how they went from 2013s perfect storm PS4 release and messaging to this weird one where they hold their cards so close to their chests that it feels like they are hiding something from their customers.

Duallusion

Somebody should ping him, he has an account here.

Or better yet, don't; poor guy will be eaten alive here for this lol.

Eliciel

He fights the trolls by expressing emotions. He lost by Default, lol

The stronger message would have been: " You don't Like my opinion then GTFO, Lmao"

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

He has some points. I think the new management isn't so hot either, Ryan is talking out of his ass too much. And yeah, subs seem to be more value for money than buying games separate, same for movies. Why do that for a 10hr single play experience?

But N64/GC sales? Even the PS3 crushed those numbers. Let that sink in. Ps5 is likely outselling the competition, but probably by a lesser margin.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It's weird to see how they went from 2013s perfect storm PS4 release and messaging to this weird one where they hold their cards so close to their chests that it feels like they are hiding something from their customers.
They way they announced all their fine print this time says they are hiding something, they try to make the best face for the videos and announcements and hide the dirt in the followup paperwork they hope nobody reads.

It’s a similar tactic to how they announced no forced online DRM in 2013 and as people were cheering they snuck in paid online.

Last edited:

Mmnow

So you have to have made a game worth playing in the last 20 years to have an opinion on the console wars?

Shut down Gaf.

Sony is going to sell on pure international sales and the momentum from the last generation. It will be a much closer race this time between Sony and Xbox for installed base but when you branch out from first party and hardware Xbox will slaughter in areas Sony isn't in e.g. Gampass, xCloud, PC, mobile, app services, windows, accessibility devices, DirectX, acquisitions etc. Xbox has positioned itself for years leading up to this next generation and to be exactly where they are today; the Netflix of games who also sell their own console hardware with systems catering for own platform or others. Think more of Google phones and Android mobile OS, they support and compete against other handsets.

The strategy for Xbox isn't just vs Sony/Ninty anymore. Xbox plays in multiple sandboxes now, Sony isn't in the same spaces/league for streaming, devices, PC, BC. The Netflix style approach is going to see Xbox far exceed just the console space of the big 3 generationally and historically speaking (including Nintendo). Only Xbox can compete and be a front runner against Google and Amazon, MS saw this coming years ago. Sony and Nintendo just aren't invited or capable of the same moves. Xbox/MS already have massive infrastructure, industry, standards etc in the PC space as well, especially with respect to gaming and developing for PC. The alignment of development and gaming from Xbox to devices and PC as well as consoles is nothing short of brilliant in its execution and symbiotic nature at this point. The strategy out of Xbox/MS is revealed and coming to fruition better than any previous incarnation e.g. Stadia or Valve boxes.

I have no doubt Sony is going to sell great, honestly it doesn't bother Xbox/MS if Sony push 100Mil again and Xbox consoles push second or third place at 50-100Mil range. Make no mistake Xbox will be aiming to push well beyond 100Mil devices this time though. However, It's the services and larger sandboxes they have interest in now. Selling Gamepass, xCloud, partner apps and content across platforms and devices is magnitudes higher revenue of services beyond what Sony can do with a console or what Nintendo can do with a handheld.

One does not have to push Sony numbers down for various areas of Xbox success, they aren't codependent on each other.

Last edited:
Definitely way off on sales projections. PS5 will sell better than the competition by a measure.

Everything else he said was pretty spot on, he's just wrong in that he believes consumers will vote with their feet by switching to Xbox when, mostly, they won't. Sony wins almost by default at this stage, and they know it.

Who? It's been soooo long since God of War came out that I've forgotten who this guy is. How is he currently relevant?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe in the US sure.

But worldwide? Lol.

The Shepard

He sounds like he wants Microsoft to buy him, could he get any further up there ass.

The PS5 will be fine, it has a much better Microsoft this gen to go against but this will make Sony up there game.

And the ps5 will outsell the gamecube next year. Just because he likes playing indies doesn't mean everyone else does.

Last edited:
Top Bottom