• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe questions if Sony missteps are down to management (Max_Po tries to create drama, misuses English, new thread privileges at risk!!)

Mr Branding

This guy hasn't done shit worth playing since the first god of war yet for some reason people still act like what he says matters. Every poll shows PS5 crushing xbox, every social media metric shows a lot more interest in PS5 and more people pre-ordered the PS5 than the xbox.
So what you're saying is that if he isn't relevant in the 'scene', he's not supposed to express his opinion? I find his views on this valid.

Dargor

Man, this Bethesda acquisition really did destroy some people's brain.

Ps3 with one of the worse lead ups to launch, overpriced as fuck, barely any games, worse multplats, sells ~90M units.

PS5, same price as competition, a boring but not bad lead up to launch, has a decent line up of games on launch, multplats are still unkown, but it definitely won't be as big a diff as in the beginning of ps3/360 era and he thinks its gonna sell ~22M?

I dunno what to say, but hey, if he gets that right, we know who can replace Pachter when hes out.

Last edited:

farmerboy

6R1gOZL.gif

I love this gif.

ruvikx

Banned
Man, this Bethesda acquisition really did destroy some people's brain.

Ps3 with one of the worse lead ups to launch, overpriced as fuck, barely any games, worse multplats, sells ~90M units.

PS5, same price as competition, a boring but not bad lead up to launch, has a decent line up of games on launch, multplats are still unkown, but it definitely won't be as big a diff as in the beginning of ps3/360 era and he thinks its gonna sell ~22M?

I dunno what to say, but hey, if he gets that right, we know who can replace Pachter when hes out.

Watch the damned interview, he never, ever said PS5 will sell Gamecube/N64 numbers. The thread title is a lie, literally.

What he did say is the PS5 will be comparable to those Nintendo eras where the console is famous for its great exclusives, but the Xbox will now be the go-to console for multiplats. That's it. No talk of sales figures at all.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Sales prediction is incorrect but he's bang on about their messaging right now.

Miles away from the calm clarity they had around the time of the PS4 launch.

Jim Ryan has a lot to answer for.

Last edited:

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
I never said Sony management was 'incoherent'. That doesn't even make sense. What, you think I'm suggesting when they speak no one understands what they are saying?!?

I'm not 50+. I'm 49.

To those going on about 'being relevant': most who talk about such things have yet to be relevant in their own lives. As someone who has been very relevant in games at one point I can assure you, it's fun for a few months and then it's whatever. It's not something most people chase or cling to. When you have it you are no more or less happy than before you got it; when it goes you don't really care if you've got your shit together. One day- if you become relevant too- you will learn that it (like fame) isn't something worth chasing.

Jaffe

Kagey K

Banned
He's delusional.
Sony executives could personally shit in every retail box and the PS5 would still sell gangbusters.
It may not affect them as short term as he predicts, but let’s see them keep going for a bit.

They may prove him right.

- Says that why will anyone go to retailer and buy a game when they can get it free (via Active sub of course)

Mainly because a lot of games are not included in Game Pass day one and because to keep them you need an ongoing sub.
If you are someone who just buys Call of Duty and FIFA (which makes up a LOT of the market, at least in the UK), then neither will be on Game Pass right away, and the cost of Game Pass each month even if they were would be much higher than what you would spend just buying those couple of games each year.

Tschumi

The huge amount of false hype bring birthed at the moment by Xbox fans is really striking.. next thing you know someone is going to post saying that this is the generation that killed Sony.. and I'm like, what incredibly egregious thing has Sony done to make xBox suddenly go from an overpowered battle royale mule into the herald of PS doom?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Bass

The huge amount of false hype bring birthed at the moment by Xbox fans is really striking.. next thing you know someone is going to post saying that this is the generation that killed Sony.. and I'm like, what incredibly egregious thing has Sony done to make xBox suddenly go from an overpowered battle royale mule into the herald of PS doom?

It’s just video game fandom run amok. Look at the numbers the switch is doing. Based on this forum that system would be an also ran. Most “hardcore” gamers are completely detached from reality and don’t really understand that the general public wants fun games and that’s it. They don’t obsess over the absolutely ridiculous stuff many do here.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't know what kind of insider info he has anymore, but let's recap publicly known facts :

They gonna release a weaker gpu than Microsoft, after the power delta helped immensely last generation.

Their pr has been weak after a generation of winning the public opinion with superbly managed pr.

They've showed 0 agility changing decisions or with surprise moves like the famous ps4 game sharing video.

They've had 0 megatons for the lead to pre-release unlike Microsoft and the zenimax acquisition.

Pre-order process has been a hot mess and has resulted in bots and scalpers catching a good number of the limited available launch units.

Yeah, they don't look good.

Zoro7

Banned
Didn't watch the video but does he mention how amazing 2021 looks for PS5? And how it doesn't for Xbox?

DinoD

Something is off at Sony. I will never for the life of me understand why they built a console that requires an odd little stand regardless of orientation. It literally can't stand on it's own.

Haha. Perhaps an embodiment of Sony. They also seem like they can't stand on their own. To much expensive vino?

You do realize that we're - on a global scale - a tiny minority of a couple million hardcore hobbyists? All that's happening right now is us making little waves for the marketing depts to pick up. There's more than ten fold that amount of casuals who haven't even heard of new consoles being released, yet.

Sorry but PS5 is all over social media etc it's not unknown and casuals are never early adopters so that really doesn't matter anyway. Actual analysts have PS5 beating Xbox often times by margins even bigger than current gen, the Bethesda buyout won't really make any difference for a few years as Bethesda isn't even close to releasing Starfield or ES6 and their second tier games aren't selling all that well these days.

PlayStation is just a much stronger global brand than xbox and it always will be.

bender

What time is it?
Didn't watch the video but does he mention how amazing 2021 looks for PS5? And how it doesn't for Xbox?

Yup. He said Phil is doomed and then took off his sweater to reveal a café press t-shirt with Craig on it.

hemo memo

Gold Member
- Says New Management is probably going to take some time to settle in.

I’ve been saying this for a while now. No wonder key figures left. They are dragging this to the ground with awful business decisions on top of awful anti-consumer decisions and PS5 is going purely of the goodwill of the PS4.

I don't know what kind of insider info he has anymore, but let's recap publicly known facts :

They gonna release a weaker gpu than Microsoft, after the power delta helped immensely last generation.

Their pr has been weak after a generation of winning the public opinion with superbly managed pr.

They've showed 0 agility changing decisions or with surprise moves like the famous ps4 game sharing video.

They've had 0 megatons for the lead to pre-release unlike Microsoft and the zenimax acquisition.

Pre-order process has been a hot mess and has resulted in bots and scalpers catching a good number of the limited available launch units.

Yeah, they don't look good.

Pretty much.

Kagey K

Banned
It
It won’t be one thing, it’ll be death by a thousand cuts. But just keep ignoring it and pretending it won’t happen.

Instead of asking what have Xbox done to make it happen, maybe ask what have Sony done to prevent it?

They certainly aren’t the company that was 4the gamers that win the hearts and minds at the beginning of this gen.

Last edited:
The weird fanaticism/loyalty to these multi-billion dollar corporations is and always will be super weird to me. The fact that people have come in here and acted personally attacked by this dude’s opinion is pretty cringey. Either way PlayStation will sell a lot - but yes the marketing has been kinda off during this whole thing he’s not wrong about that.

Last edited:
He sounds like he wants Microsoft to buy him, could he get any further up there ass.

The PS5 will be fine, it has a much better Microsoft this gen to go against but this will make Sony up there game.

And the ps5 will outsell the gamecube next year. Just because he likes playing indies doesn't mean everyone else does.
At the end of last gen he was complaining on one of those E3 interviews because the game he was making had to be shown after a trailer for Battlefield and he knew his game couldn't compare. graphically so he was a bitch about it.

bender

What time is it?
I hope people actually watch this before commenting.

His Gamecube / N64 claims are ludicrous, as was his downplaying of PS5 exclusives, but he makes a lot of very good points.

He just seems excited by Game Pass and the value that Microsoft is offering which is understandable.

And maybe Sony's $40M every 3-4 year projects are going to Media Molecule. If it inspires tomorrows designers it's a good investment on their part. I also have no idea how you market Dreams to the masses.

bender

What time is it?
The weird fanaticism/loyalty to these multi-billion dollar corporations is and always will be super weird to me. The fact that people have come in here and acted personally attacked by this dude’s opinion is pretty cringey. Either way PlayStation will sell a lot - but yes the marketing has been kinda off during this whole thing he’s not wrong about that.

The trap we fall into is that we notice Sony's missteps because we care enough about the industry to post on a video gam message board. These recent blunders are minor and your average consumer isn't even going to be aware.

Grinchy

Banned

Roufianos

I never said Sony management was 'incoherent'. That doesn't even make sense. What, you think I'm suggesting when they speak no one understands what they are saying?!?

I'm not 50+. I'm 49.

To those going on about 'being relevant': most who talk about such things have yet to be relevant in their own lives. As someone who has been very relevant in games at one point I can assure you, it's fun for a few months and then it's whatever. It's not something most people chase or cling to. When you have it you are no more or less happy than before you got it; when it goes you don't really care if you've got your shit together. One day- if you become relevant too- you will learn that it (like fame) isn't something worth chasing.

Jaffe

Not watched the video yet but I'm getting some really bad vibes from Jim Ryan, especially the £70 RRP for Sony 1st party games here in the UK.

Anyway, sorry that you've had to read some of the insults here. People should debate the points made not attack the individual.

Enjay

Banned
The thing to remember about davidjaffe's opinions on things is that his last few games were so good he's become a blogger. Now he's chasing the sjw market and has no credibility because he's fishing for subscribers.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
He's delusional.
Sony executives could personally shit in every retail box and the PS5 would still sell gangbusters.

Until it doesn’t. We have many examples of previous consoles thankfully but go ahead continue your delusional thought. Not even Nintendo with the strongest IPs in the business could carry a console to success.

100+ games on day 1 not even before 2021 starts. It’s not the 360 and Xbox One days and clearly Sony underestimates how a fantastic deal Gamepass is for consumers especially casuals just joining the ecosystem.

GymWolf

I think ps5 is gonna be fine.

I would be happy if all the crossgen titles would sell like shit just to send a message, but it's not gonna happen...

Zoro7

Banned
Until it doesn’t. We have many examples of previous consoles thankfully but go ahead continue your delusional thought. Not even Nintendo with the strongest IPs in the business could carry a console to success.

100+ games on day 1 not even before 2021 starts. It’s not the 360 and Xbox One days and clearly Sony underestimates how a fantastic deal Gamepass is for consumers especially casuals just joining the ecosystem.
But these 100 games you can play on Xbox one? Its not underestimating at all. These are all games people have played already.

nush

Jaffes chasing some of that "Fuck you" Microsoft money. It's just a hyperbole statement to get noticed.

Top Bottom