• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daniel Craig Says James Bond Shouldn’t Be Played By A Woman

ManaByte

In a new interview with Radio Times magazine, Craig was asked if he would support “a more diverse appointment as his replacement” — like, a woman or a person of color.

Craig replied: “The answer to that is very simple. There should simply be better parts for women and actors of color. Why should a woman play James Bond when there should be a part just as good as James Bond, for a woman?”

Bond is male. He’s a male character. He was written as a male and I think he’ll probably stay as a male,” Broccoli explained then. “And that’s fine. We don’t have to turn male characters into women. Let’s just create more female characters and make the story fit those female characters.”

james bond m GIF

james bond m GIF

Well obviously James Bond isn't a women. It's in the name.

But James Bond and 007 are different things.

You can have a women 007 as that's a job title.

How are people still having this conversation?

ManaByte

Because British tabloids found out about a female 00 agent in No Time to Die and ran bullshit stories that they were replacing James Bond with a woman. Since then Broccoli has had to shoot that down in multiple interviews, and now Craig has to as well.

When there were female 00 agents in both the Connery and Bronsan films, it's not something new. But the tabloids don't care when they're rolling in outrage money.

And EON did make a "female James Bond" movie, no one cared for it:
MV5BZDMyZjQwY2QtYzRhMS00NDBkLWIzZjAtY2I1Nzg3OTEzMDBlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg

JonSnowball

I wonder how the usual suspects are reacting to what is a perfectly reasonable take. On that topic, we've got Black Panther, and Marvel are bringing back Blade - to achieve true diversity I'd surely like to see a Vietnamese gentleman cast as Blade. That'd be some wild shit, and it'd add a level of certainty that what Hollywood executives really want to achieve is diversity as is often claimed, and not an attempt to look progressive to narrow demographics that scream the loudest on social media as is often assumed.

Lupingosei

Banned
Shit must really have hit the fan if Hollywood is finally ready to admit that, what people have been saying for years.

Bond is male. He’s a male character. He was written as a male and I think he’ll probably stay as a male,” Broccoli explained then. “And that’s fine. We don’t have to turn male characters into women. Let’s just create more female characters and make the story fit those female characters.”

Now we only have to agree, that it is better to create more new characters within established franchises and make stories to fit them, instead of changing existing characters to whatever identity group they want to push at the moment.

Woggleman

I am far from somebody who has an issue with women in action movies and strong roles. I enjoyed many of them but part of what makes Bond Bond is alpha male masculinity. It is part of his appeal and that is why he should remain a man.

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Never understood for a second why we’ve never had any spin off movies with other 00s. Do all the shit different with them, and leave Bond as he is.
Because for some reason I think they want the controversy around shit like this, and then people act like we just dont want women leads. Which couldnt be further from the truth look at Westworld. We just want original new stories, dont just replace people with women and think thats progress.

bitbydeath

Can they or would the number be retired upon his death?

Horatius

Can they or would the number be retired upon his death?
whole thing is stupid, it's not a fuckin title or sports jersey or whatever the fuck, you don't get hired to be 007

he is the 7th agent with 00 clearance, that's all it is. in universe they should be up to like 0083 by now

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
They know the fanbase will revolt and the movie will be a box office failure if they go too woke. That said, if they just do another white male bond, the social media nutters will go fucking mental, even though they most likely don't care about the bond franchise at all. My guess is that they'll just wait for this woke movement to come back to the centre a bit before they announce a new bond.

bitbydeath

whole thing is stupid, it's not a fuckin title or sports jersey or whatever the fuck, you don't get hired to be 007

he is the 7th agent with 00 clearance, that's all it is. in universe they should be up to like 0083 by now
That’s what I thought as well but I haven’t read the books to know if anyone else was replaced after dying.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I don't think it was the tabloids pushing the narrative that Bond was being replaced by a woman. Pretty sure it was the wizards who flip a table every time a woman shows up on their screen.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Because we are getting In"Diana Jones" and now they fear we get Jamira Bond

Tams

Gold Member
Of course.

Imagine if Elizabeth Bennet were cast as a man.

If they want to do a spin-off with a female 00 (not 007) as the main protagonist, sure, whatever. Not sure if it'd work out for them though.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I understand the sense of his words. If you want a strong role for a women, it is more respectful to create a new character and a new saga. Put a Jane Bond as 007 is like recycling a role for a woman saying "yeah, now this can be your turn".

SJRB

Gold Member
Peak 2021 where you want to state the most obvious thing in the world but have to thread around like you're walking a minefield because you don't want to aggro the horde.

I'm reading comments like "Oh so Daniel Craig doesn't want people of color to be James Bond??????".. My god, how twisted and warped must your brain be to arrive at that conclusion.

Tschumi

For the record, in addition to my previous post on this thread.. I haven't given a crap about James Bond since the late 90s. And, that spans periods when I was way more into action films than I am now. To this day I've only ever watched Brosnan/Craig Bond films and I don't even watch them anymore. Finished.

MilkyJoe

He's right. But that doesnt mean they cant make a 009 or whatever and give someone their own story

That'll do well...

There already was a female spy movie and no one gave a fuck, even though it was way better than any recent James Bond movie

818lMpNX7FL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom