• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Producer of James Bond says he will remain male. New characters should be created for women.

I don't see a reason to switch up any established characters' race or gender. James Bond is James Bond, we're happy with that, have been for decades, there's absolutely no reason to alter the character in some radical way. If you want different characters then make new characters, I am glad the producer agrees.

I'm not even white and I could complain about this trend in Hollywood all night if you let me. I mean Mary Jane Watson, the quintessential comic book redhead ..... you know what I'll just stop.

I agree with you. If a character is one way, keep them that fucking way. Make NEW characters if you want something else.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well yeah, it doesn't have to be, but I question what the rationale is, just as many would likely question a hypothetical race swap for a character like Storm who has been black for decades.

The difference between Storm and Bond is that Storm has a long family lineage IN Africa... Long before white colonialism.

Bond is British (though Brosnan and Connery aren't)... Which can be any color in these modern times.

Doesn't matter to me if he stays white or is cast as black or Asian (Asian would be DOPE!) ... AS LONG as the movie is SCORCHING AWESOME!

TheContact

That’s how it should be. If someone wants to create Jill Bond or whatever, more power to them. But don’t change what’s established just to appease SJWs

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It is fundamental, it's part of the basic makeup of the character, and has been since it's inception. Like I said above, you could make him black, but it begs the question, why? Would the story have worked with the character as originally envisioned? Yes? Then what is the rationale for the change. No one would let Storm be tuned into a white woman. We don't hear this argument ever, because no one has the balls to try and pull a black to white race switch (and really, again, why would this be necessary?)

Black to white race switch has happened many times in Hollywood. Shoot, even Angelina Jolie was cast as the wife of a real life reporter who was killed on video by Al Qaeda... The real life woman is black!

Nymphae

Banned
Black to white race switch has happened many times in Hollywood. Shoot, even Angelina Jolie was cast as the wife of a real life reporter who was killed on video by Al Qaeda... The real life woman is black!

But has it really though? With decades old fictional characters? I'm drawing a blank here, help me out.

Bond is British (though Brosnan and Connery aren't)... Which can be any color in these modern times.

Well he's Scottish in the books, which apparently was written in after Fleming saw Connery's portrayal. The Irishman is convincingly playing a Brit, I don't see the issue, still looks somewhat like Fleming's original sketch.

Doesn't matter to me if he stays white or is cast as black or Asian (Asian would be DOPE!) ... AS LONG as the movie is SCORCHING AWESOME!

Sure, a good movie is a good movie. It just to me comes across as gimmicky marketing bs and social justice fueled nonsense to make moves like this, when you could just as easily keep the character the same, and also have writers come up with other interesting ideas for movies that become popular, which are created in those authors' visions.

It's just all so tiresome. It's like, if I asked if there would there be any potential problems resulting from the decision to continue casting the character as a white male, it feels like the answer would logically be no, and yet this would be an unacceptable decision today because progress must be made or something. I don't feel like the onus is on people who are simply wanting characters to remain as they always have been to explain why they aren't haters.

Whatever, sort of a moot point anyway as judging by the producer's comments, the handlers of the franchise seem likely to mix things up in terms of race in the future.

No, we don't. His skin color hasn't changed but the portrayal of the character has changed over the years and thus there's no reason why his skin color shouldn't change either. Yes, the woke Hollywood is an issue however a lot of people, even on gaf, have said many times that Idris Elba would fit quite well as James Bond. Again if you think James Bond should forever remain white then good for you, but to me, it's fucking ridiculous. James Bond as long as he remains a badass male character with class, I don't care if he's black, asian or whatever.

I don't care what other GAF said, so basically culture appropriation is singling out white people, where they can't play non-white characters, but it's ok for color people to play white characters?!?!.....yeah that's fucking bullshit!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom