• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone: They Fought for Diversity in Gaming. Then the Abuse Began

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majormaxxx

That's not what I did at all, but you're just proving you don't get the actual problem, and are indirectly proving my point.

It didn't start with Uncharted, it's just was a popular spotlight effort due tot he change from the first Uncharted 2 the second, and how it was associated by identity with the PS3 and it's turn around.

Uncharted 2 was just the end result of where games like Indigo and others were going.

With that said, the movie approach does harm replay value imo.
The movie approach worked for u 1-3 replayabilty because of the excellent pacing. I played them 3-4 times back to the back, all three.. But if the pacing is broken, replaying is a bore.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Nothing, you don't get the problem I'm talking about because you're 100% disconnected from it.
....you come to that conclusion based on what? Are we just making assumptions about others now?
The issue has nothing to do with the actor. It has to do with the pattern of choice in this type of representation.
This just means you're seeing offense and outrage everywhere; she got the part, the end.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
What? Isn't Forspoken protagonist lady white?

Edit: Just saw protags black, the hair threw me off, as well as the lighting, you know for all these studios talking about diversity and inclusion, they sure like to cement stereotypes and don't want natural hair and limit how the dark the skin is. Unless they're also implemented stereotypically. Seems to be just checklist lip service and they don't really care at all.
I've been waiting for the cultural appropriation crowd to call out the Japanese developers daring to make a game about a black body type 2.

....you come to that conclusion based on what? Are we just making assumptions about others now?

This just means you're seeing offense and outrage everywhere; she got the part, the end.

You literally ignored what i wrote, made up your own words you thought I said, and are now pretending I'm seeing offense. The actor has nothing to do with the problem herself.

You again, are 100% disconnected from the problem, and don't see what's actually not being addressed and what's in reality being harmful, just like the "journalists" in this article. You're trying to pretend you get the issue when you don't.

Same reason there's no point arguing over it.

It wasn't as good, but they still tried with u1. Even the intro level blends the cut scene with the first action scene excellently.

Eh... Uncharted 1 wasn't really doing much different than other games of the time though, and there were some hints of Jak 2/3 sprinkled in it.

Uncharted 2 was a completely different beat and was a continuation of previous cinema attempts like Indigo and others. It's association for pushing those games as an identity of the PS3 and Sony first party after a bad first half really helped grow that type of game design.

rkofan87

Gold Member
“Users were upset that Abby, a woman in a world full of human-eating monsters, has a muscular physique, and turned her character into a transphobic meme.”

100% fact. Idiots here still think she is trans.
gaf as well went ellie is gay wtf boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and i was like did you not play the dlc???????????????????????

Kimahri

Banned
Not saying anything in this particular post. Just sharing a selfie from the article's author. It's better to view the article as the work of its author and not as the product of a nameless rolling stone writer.

I fail to see what you're trying to achieve.

Do you do this when it's a man with a beard looking manly, or just with women?

Contrary to what you said above, she's not hiding behind brand recognition. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but her name is right there above the article.

I might be missing your point in spectacular fashion, but it's really hard to find one, no offense.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
You literally ignored what i wrote
No I asked you based on what.
You again, are 100% disconnected from the problem
Again, what are you basing this conclusion on?
made up your own words you thought I said, and are now pretending I'm seeing offense.
I don't have to pretend, or "make up words", you literally say
they sure like to cement stereotypes and don't want natural hair and limit how the dark the skin is.
bizarre assumptions and bizare outrage
It has to do with the pattern of choice in this type of representation.
Again bizarre assumptions and bizarre outrage
despite the "belief" studios are addressing a problem.
You might actually be an insane person.

She got the part, instead of manufacturing outrage and seeing a fucking boogieman everywhere, cause she doesn't live up to your expectations that stem from being filled with an obvious sad hatred, you could instead just be happy for her.

Get therapy bruv, you're poisoning yourself with keeping that much toxicity in you.

Majormaxxx

I fail to see what you're trying to achieve.

Do you do this when it's a man with a beard looking manly, or just with women?

Contrary to what you said above, she's not hiding behind brand recognition. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean, but her name is right there above the article.

I might be missing your point in spectacular fashion, but it's really hard to find one, no offense.
I don't see what the author's sex has to do with anything. Yes I'd totally share the picture of a male author. Though most of them look goofy, not manly, with beards.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I guess they're prepping for some backlash. Narrative is in place, and they decided to time the release of this now.

Nothing that deep. It's just SEO, everyone is talking about Last of Us right now because of the TV show and since last night's episode deviated from the game and went out of its way to explore a gay relationship outside of what is usually shown in TV there was some reaction in social media. Perfect timing if you want to maximize traffic.

I'm not reading the full article and I don't really care but making it like there wasn't a lot of pissed off people discussing online when the TLoU2's story leaked is just selective memory. Not only it happened but a lot of the discussion was around how stupid it was to kill Joel and how Druckman was pushing inclusion and his own agenda.

I remember because I participated in some of those discussions and can remember people being very offended about Abby and Lev (specially the former one). Not only that but a lot of people really thought the game would be a commercial disaster because of those choices. Now, I'm not saying people on GAF are the same deranged individuals that went to harass naughty dog's staff but let's not pretend it didn't happen.

There is a lot of people that think that way and give gamers a bad rep. It's truly a shame but it does happen. Anything but condemning that kind of behavior will make it keeps happening.

I don't care about identity politics but I do care about creator's right to make the games they want and people exercising their right to spend their money on whatever they want. Anything else is just stupid.

No I asked you based on what.

Again, what are you basing this conclusion on?

I don't have to pretend, or "make up words", you literally say

bizarre assumptions and bizare outrage

Again bizarre assumptions and bizarre outrage

You might actually be an insane person.

She got the part, instead of manufacturing outrage and seeing a fucking boogieman everywhere, cause she doesn't live up to your expectations that stem from being filled with an obvious sad hatred, you could instead just be happy for her.

Get therapy bruv, you're poisoning yourself with keeping that much toxicity in you.

It's amazing how you are just taking my statements out of context, don't understand what I'm saying so creating your own conclusions.
I didn't make any bizarre outrage or bizarre assumptions, you did, again because you are 100% disconnected from the problem. The issue is implementation.

That's why despite mentioning the actress isn't part of the problem, you keep bringing the actress up ignoring that statement each time. Her getting the part has nothing to do with my point. You are no different from the journalist from the article, you have something in your mind and that's what you want to believe without considering any other angle or even asking.

I'm sorry that the actress is not the point of the issue, despite how much you want her to be.

Last edited:
Why is it weird to put a name and a face next to an article instead of just hiding behind the authority and name recognition of Rolling Stone?

Also, have I commented on the author's looks in a positive or negative manner?
Because you shared it with the intention of making fun of her not for any productive reason, hence why it’s weird. What does adding a photo of her do for the on going conversation other than a “hehehe look guys hehehe.”

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It's amazing how you are just taking my statements out of context
I didn't make any bizarre outrage or bizarre assumptions, you did
Lol they are literally your words bruv, you literally state that "they" don't want natural hair and limit how dark the skin is; who the fuck is they and where are your receipts to show that's what happened? If you have no proof they are assumptions, crazy insane bizarre outrageous assumptions, so either produce the proof this is what the Forspoken developers did, or don't even quote me again.
you are 100% disconnected from the problem.
Since you are unable to answer based on what, if not assumptions, it's clear you're not insane, but truly batshit insane; I hope you get well soon bruv.

Fbh

Public figure receives hate by anonymous online idiots:

c8e83aa3-7a3c-4b5f-8392-1fd96e7543e3_text.gif

Who the fuck cares? Using random online hate as the basis of any sort of argument is beyond stupid because pretty much every public figure with a social media presence gets it.
"Omg remember that time people harassed a Stevens Universe fan artist into attempting suicide because she drew a character "too thin"? I guess from this we can infer that a lot fat people are aggressive and abusive. There seems to be a serious abuse problem emanating from the plus size community"

Last edited:
Lol they are literally your words bruv, you literally state that "they" don't want natural hair and limit how dark the skin is;

That's not what I said at all. You're 100% disconnection from the problem is now causing you to misread what was actually written:

they sure like to cement stereotypes and don't want natural hair and limit how the dark the skin is. Unless they're also implemented stereotypically.

You being completely disconnected from this issue within the community you are failing to defend because you don't understand it, is precisely why you keep misunderstanding what the problem is. You also clearly have no interest in learning on what the problem is.

The only lazy assumptions and and bizarre reactions was your near instant snap at me not understanding my point from the first post, and never trying to figure it out because you already came to a conclusion, than immediately tried going after me with something you made up. You keep tripling down on this too, yet you don't have the information to support anything you're smearing me with, all based on you not understanding something incredibly simple.

Last edited:
proceeds to quote himself saying:

I see you got to omit/cut the point out of the statement with your quote so you can pretend you have a argument. If you quote the whole statement your argument falls apart. WHich is based on not reading my statement correctly in the first place and jumping on me with your own conclusions, leaping before looking.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Because you shared it with the intention of making fun of her not for any productive reason, hence why it’s weird. What does adding a photo of her do for the on going conversation other than a “hehehe look guys hehehe.”
I haven't said anything that implies making fun of the author. That's on you.

If you honestly believe that then you are even worse off than I thought mentally; get help.

I've never seen someone so stubbornly wrong, because they had an agenda in their head and misread a post without understanding the issue because they jumped on someone too quick. Then when cornered, they take out one line from a full statement in a quote, removing context, so the entire point of the statement is removed. Even after I bolded the point earlier, which curiously, is the part that was taken out.

What a strange fellow.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It's hard to believe that grown people write this stuff. It's so weird.

Now, she is right about some of it, but it's also so misconstrued and willfully angled and ignoring why most attacked the game.

And I just read an article 10 minutes ago about some guy who was angry that "white men were openly disagreeing with me" at Blizzard.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I don't see what the author's sex has to do with anything. Yes I'd totally share the picture of a male author. Though most of them look goofy, not manly, with beards.

Then why not explain what you're trying to achieve?

You posted a pic with something easily interprited as a snide remark and you got lol emojis for reactions.

What am I missing here? Where is the joke?

There's nothing to misread,

Well, after you took out the part that I bolded earlier from your last quote, yeah that would remove the part you needed to read.

Again, not sure why you're so stubborn on something you are completely wrong on because you jumped too fast without understanding a problem, and then made up your own conclusions. Just very strange and dishonest for no reason.

Again, nothing to misread, whatever you bold or not changes nothing; stop quoting me.

Removing the point of the argument from a quote so you can dishonestly smear me with what you made up, and mislead on what was actually argued changes a lot actually.

Fell free to use the ignore function if you can't explain the reasoning behind cutting the quote in your previous post.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Then why not explain what you're trying to achieve?

You posted a pic with something easily interprited as a snide remark and you got lol emojis for reactions.

What am I missing here? Where is the joke?
There's no joke. This is the author of the piece. Interpret it how you want depending on what the photo evokes for you.

Who stands behind the article matters.

I haven't said that the woman looks smart, dumb, beautiful or ugly.

Majormaxxx

Also starting to think men need an advocacy group too...
I think it's not OK when they use the term white (cis) male as a way to single out a particular group of people.

The same argument was rightfully used when Kanye West singled out an ethnic group of people when he was referring to entertainment execs.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
if you can't explain the reasoning behind cutting the quote in your last post.
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

This is you, full on clown post; you want me to explain something after you've repeatedly refused to explain to me on what your are basing your conclusion of me? fucking lol, fuck off dude; your brain is cracked.

RafterXL

The sweatier online and TLOU PT2 did give gamers a really bad look. I’m a gamer but sadly alot of us to represent the more reactionary nature of our hobby. I don’t think it’s wrong to point out an obvious truth. Many gamers are very anti social and they portray that behavior in the most edgy way possible. Not the majority but VERY vocal online. Normalization of the medium has helped a ton but it’s a wider problem with the current socialization of humans in an every growing isolated world. Gotta be better.
Sure, but literally none of that happened with the first game. They're straight up lying. The fucking game has a 92 user score on Metacritc and you'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING, anywhere, saying something bad about this franchise before the leaks for part 2. Claiming that this happened with the first game and that the second is a directly result of that is pure bullshit. Neither of those things are true, and the only reason why they can get away with saying they are true is because the people who want it to be true will defend these lies and attack anyone saying otherwise. They're literally playing to the audience they gained AFTER the second game was released. They see the tone of social media and the current political landscape and are hamming it up for an audience that loves playing the victim and will eat this up.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Rolling Stone, lol. I bet Slate has a good story on this too.

Matt Taibbi was the best thing with RS and he's been gone for a while. That magazine has zero credibility at this point, it maintains its "status" cause of its former glory.

Also, don't you love that the pop culture icons who set the "racist backward trends" of the the previous decades are now the masters of what is acceptable and what isn't? Pop culture in America is as shallow as its ever been and the commentators live in a gilded bubble. Our rulers deserve nothing but disdain from the masses.

This is you, full on clown post; you want me to explain something after you've repeatedly refused to explain to me on what your are basing your conclusion of me? fucking lol, fuck off dude; your brain is cracked.

Odd, I not only explained the point, but bolded it, and then you quoted my statement few posts back, and removed that part out, and now you are continuing to smear me despite you being wrong and not reading carefully and jumping to attack immediately from the start of this "discussion".

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Sure, but literally none of that happened with the first game. They're straight up lying. The fucking game has a 92 user score on Metacritc and you'd be hard pressed to find ANYTHING, anywhere, saying something bad about this franchise before the leaks for part 2. Claiming that this happened with the first game and that the second is a directly result of that is pure bullshit. Neither of those things are true, and the only reason why they can get away with saying they are true is because the people who want it to be true will defend these lies and attack anyone saying otherwise. They're literally playing to the audience they gained AFTER the second game was released. They see the tone of social media and the current political landscape and are hamming it up for an audience that loves playing the victim and will eat this up.
The only negative press part one got was from polygon, who "dared" give it a 70% (if I recall because it was too dark... And which was unjustifiedly low of a score). This resulted in a backlash... Against polygon.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Odd, I not only explained the point, but bolded it
Are you drunk?
Nothing, you don't get the problem I'm talking about because you're 100% disconnected from it.
I asked you several times what exactly gives you the authority to conclude this with absolute certainty, and you've ignored it several times, so again fuck off, leave me alone.

The post simply said thanks and included the name of the author. Why do you automatically think anyone was making fun of the author? The fact that you assume someone would make fun of her means you inherently believe there is something to be fun of when it comes to the author. SAD

TLZ

Banned
If many men today act like video games belong to them and them alone, it’s because they grew up with a video-game industry that told them exactly that.

No you asshole. It's because assholes like you shat on us in our younger days. Women/girls almost always looked down on and made fun of boys/men who played games. Throwing terms like "nerd" or "geek" or "childish" or "grow up" or just plain laugh at us. I wanna say F U, but I won't.

The irony is coming into this medium now acting the victim. Just lmao.

Are you drunk?

I asked you several times what exactly gives you the authority to conclude this with absolute certainty, and you've ignored it several times, so again fuck off, leave me alone.

I didn't conclude anything you did, you made up your own conclusions and applied it to me because you didn't read carefully from the start, and when I explained what the point was and what wasn't (the actress) you kept bring it up anyway because you had an agenda in your head and wanted to believe so bad you knew what my point was.

When I brought up my point again the 40th time and bolded it, you quoted my original statement, dishonestly removed everything from it but one sentence, including removing what I bolded which was trying to communicate to you the point ou kept ignoring since post 1, and now you're still continuing this circle over you being wrong and misreading my statemet. You've been completely avoiding the point I've been trying to get you to see multiple times, and instead continuing to insult and smear me over a misunderstanding that was entirely your own fault.

The post simply said thanks and included the name of the author. Why do you automatically think anyone was making fun of the author? The fact that you assume someone would make fun of her means you inherently believe there is something to be fun of when it comes to the author. SAD
Good cope but again, given the context and the snarky tone of his comment he was using her photo to emphasize they’re point. But regardless it was bait and I bit. There’s a discussion to be had here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom