• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: Save Files Over 8MB May Become Permanently Corrupt

DonJorginho

Banned
Those playing Cyberpunk 2077 should be aware that if their save files get above 8MB, they may become permanently corrupt and unusable, this can happen to you regardless of the platform you're playing on.

Redditor MagicTacoSauce posted a PSA alerting others to the issue, and GOG.com - which is owned by Cyberpunk 2077 developer CD Projekt Red - offered a response that is not overly promising.

"Unfortunately the save is damaged and can't be recovered," The statement reads. "Please use an older save file to continue playing and try to keep a lower amount of items and crafting materials. If you have used the item duplication glitch, please load a save file not affected by it. The save file size limit might be increased in one of the future patches, but the corrupted files will remain that way."

GOG.com saying that it "might be increased in future patches" may not be the best of news for those who love to collect everything and wish to craft a ton.

A comment from the Don:

Wow, what a messy situation we are watching unfold! Not even Anthem, Andromeda or Fallout 76 had this much publicity around their fuck ups, the positive is CDPR will get it right eventually and Internet Historian will make an amazing video from this.

Sucks though that in a "RPG" CDPR are now recommending users to stop engaging in the RPG elements of the game, on CDPR support forums they're telling users to start new saves once getting an ending to avoid running into this bug, what a shitshow! I must say though it hurts that CDPR keep fucking up as unlike the other three games I mentioned, Cyberpunk is an amazing title, it didn't deserve this kind of botched launch.

Last edited:
Me looking at CDPR right now like

giphy.gif

JayK47

Mine is currently less than 4mb. I just sell everything. Guess my play style is not likely to cause issues. I must be "playing it right".

I can deal with performance issues, but inevitable save game corruption completely invalidates my enjoyment. Why bother putting in the hours if I'll have nothing to return to a week from now?? Players should not have to worry about tiptoeing around issues like this....

Monjiro

Neo Member
Just imagined Winnie the Pooh raging at his desktop after reaching the save limit due to looting as many private details of Night City residents as he possibly could.

Winnie the Pooh is happy, because it seems, he was succesfull to censor almost all nudity in game. I guess cdpr had to do that, as cyberpunk sales in china were considerable. And for china market nudity in video games is a big no-no

Concern

I've been lucky enough to not have a save file corrupt on me since the n64.

This right here is definitely off putting. Guess I'll be waiting for patch 37 just to make sure everything is addressed lol

Grinchy

Banned
Didn’t all the Bethesda PS3 titles have a very similar issue when save files got too big?
Yeah and I always thought it was a ram issue due to its low amount of split pool memory since it was only a PS3 issue.

But with this affecting every platform, it seems like a different kind of problem. This game just can't catch a break :messenger_tears_of_joy:

LordCBH

Yeah and I always thought it was a ram issue due to its low amount of split pool memory since it was only a PS3 issue.

But with this affecting every platform, it seems like a different kind of problem. This game just can't catch a break :messenger_tears_of_joy:

What bugs me is I LOVE the game under all the bugs. But goddamn. Just goddamn lol.

Sejan

This game is a disaster. The most amazing thing about this issue is that it most affects the players that were able to play the game most extensively—the players that weren’t put off by all the other bugs. It’s like thy are going out of their way to systematically offend all their customers. CDPR was seen as the developer that actually cared about players. Now they are the developer that released the smelliest AAA turd of the generation. They aren’t even committing to fixing an issue that shouldn’t be terribly difficult to fix.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
To me this is far worse than sub par visuals, graphic glitches or dropping frames. This is a game-ending bug for people that have save files that are too big and is completely unacceptable. This should be the first thing they get fixed.

I keep getting save bugs since the 1.05 patch, not the same as the crafting bug, but I've had all of my saves corrupted and had to restore from the xbox cloud. I've also had a bug where the save/load menu doesn't show any save slots. So I couldn't save my game, and couldn't load my game. The autosave features also stopped working. I've lost progress multiple times since the patch.

I've been lucky enough to not have a save file corrupt on me since the n64.

This right here is definitely off putting. Guess I'll be waiting for patch 37 just to make sure everything is addressed lol

Same, haven't had a game corrupt a save in a long time. But old habits die hard and I still double save.

As I understand it young folks rely on autosave in the cloud nowadays.

Sejan

To me this is far worse than sub par visuals, graphic glitches or dropping frames. This is a game-ending bug for people that have save files that are too big and is completely unacceptable. This should be the first thing they get fixed.
This bug is a “screw you” to the people that have powered through the bugs and glitches. It’s a glitch that specifically attacks the people that have played and explored the most in their world. This isn’t their first big open world game. An overflow bug in their save format is just bad programming.

Cyberpunk apologists at this point are willfully blinded by their own hype. There is absolutely no excuse for this particular issue to have ever made it into a final release. The fact that they didn’t even commit to fixing it in their statement is inexcusable.

xrnzaaas

This is inexcusable. Many people will play Cyberpunk like they've played Skyrim or Fallout and they will collect absolutely everything they can get their hands on and also craft tons of stuff. You don't create any save limits in a game like that. If you really really have to on the consoles then just limit the number of separate saves or prevent people from creating new ones before they delete the old ones (like the console BioShock 1 and 2 have done). The issue shouldn't be present in the PC version at all.

Top Bottom