• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Lead Quest Designer Says No Changes Based on George Floyd Aftermath; Game is “Not a Political Statement, [or] a Political Thesis”

#Phonepunk#

Banned
But it will have parallels to the real world like most political fiction does.
then there is no need to MAKE it "political"

look i agree. everything (barring total abstraction and even then...) created by a human who lives in society will refer to that society. it is literally impossible to not reference society. everything is political just by nature of being a product of society.

that said you can't deny there are people who shove political agendas into things. this is different from all art being inherently political. i find nothing wrong with calling out activist producers.

the meme that all cyberpunk has always been activist and liberal and explicitly political i call bullshit. feels more like an ideology trying to make itself relevant by rewriting history. which is something that ideology does all the time! important to call that out.

Last edited:
The Reeeeetards are up in arms about this.

"NOT GOING TO BUY THIS GAME ANYMORE"

"CANT SUPPORT CD PROJECT RED"

"BUT BU BU MA POLITICS"

Thank God that CDPR don't give a fuck about the vocal minority that seems hellbent on ruining video games. Everyone should stfu and let developers fulfil their creative vision as they see fit, as long as there is no racism. Besides, I only want to play Cyperpunk to have a good time, not to analyse any political undertones - and I certainly don't give two shits about them.

Ironically hasn't this game done more for trans rights than any other game?
I read something about having a feminine body with a deep voice and a penis. I would have thought that would be much welcomed provided it is true.

Inuteu

A not political Cyberpunk story? Worst thing I've heard about this gamd

Do they even understand their genre at all?
8286.jpg

Cyberpunk as a genre in and of itself is political so good luck with trying to make a non political game around that.

Yes, if only they had consulted with Your Brilliancy they might have stood a chance. Instead - go figure - they went with Mike Pondsmith.

Did you read the quote, the interview?
Do you understand the meaning of words such as "Statement" and "thesis"?

Cyberpunk is inherently "political," and pretty much everyone responsible for the genre from Philip K. Dick to William Gibson have been overt in their, generally quite liberal, intentions. But, buy all means, fuck those SJW's ammiright?!

And CD Projekt Red is under no obligation to abide by anybody else's construing of the genre, especially when they have Mike Pondsmith consulting and digesting the specific source material. But even then, CD Projekt has complete creative freedom and sovereignty.

The game is political in the broadest sense. But it won't play like a statement or a thesis where a blinking in-game neon sign will read "Capitalism is baddy. Please Riot.".

This notion is simple to udnerstand.

Ironically hasn't this game done more for trans rights than any other game?
I read something about having a feminine body with a deep voice and a penis. I would have thought that would be much welcomed provided it is true.

I wouldn't call them rights, though. They aren't rights. CD Projekt RED doesn't owe anyone anything. WASPs aren't owed anything, straights aren't owed anything, Asians and Latinos aren't owed anything. Trans people, likewise, aren't owed anything.

Calling them "rights" implies otherwise.

DogofWar

I think every single game made by non-American companies have to have a mandatory segment where you press F to kneel while the American anthem plays and they show pictures of black victims by cops.

Because all the world must care about current events in the US otherwise they are bigoted nazis! Fuck imperialism, but adapt to our culture and news feed or die!

D.Final

Banned

During an interview, CD Projekt RED Lead Quest Designer Pawel Sasko has stated that Cyberpunk 2077 will not be changing any of its content based on the protests and subsequent riots across the US over the death of George Floyd.

Now Polish gaming news website Spider’s Web has interviewed Sasko about Cyberpunk 2077. Therein it was revealed that the game’s length was designed after feedback from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

However this meant doing the opposite of that game; providing non-linear quests, and using a “token system” to dictate when new quests would appear to the player. Events in side-quests can even alter the main storyline, or earn a new epilogue without completing the main story.

Players will also be able to complete the game without a single kill if they desire, though some fights will be inevitable. To prevent players from having a “bad time” players will not be given the opportunity to kill NPCs important to the plot; though other times it will be clearly telegraphed when players can resort to violence.

The origin players choose will also dictate some elements of the plot (such as how they meet Jackie), grant new quests and dialogue options, and different “paths” the player can choose towards the end of the story. Certain choices can even change a player’s “lifepath,” allowing them to finish the game as an entirely different character to their origin.

Sasko was then asked about if any of the game’s content would be influenced by recent events; including the Black Lives Matter movement. Sasko stated the game was almost done, and changing the story would be impossible.

Sakso emphasizes most importantly the game is a piece of entertainment and art. While “elements in the game” touch on certain themes related to Black Lives Matter, “the most important thing is that our game is a closed work and it is not a political statement, a political thesis.”

Interesting choice from the development team

Top Bottom