• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Aims To Be A “Benchmark” For The Industry Like The Witcher 3 Was, Says Level Designer

well i didn't say open world games. i said open world rpgs. those you mentioned aren't open world rpgs. however i think it feels way better than far cry for sure.
I dunno, I feel like Prey and Far Cry are as much open-world RPG's if not more so than CP2077. Again, I'm not saying this as someone who dislikes the game. I put nearly 150 hours into it, I'm just saying, I just think you could replace the mechanics of CP2077 with Far Cry 5 but add the hacking and you'd have pretty much the same game if not even a little bit better. I dunno if you've played the recent Far Cry's but CP2077 and Far Cry share a lot of the same design and RPG mechanics. Far Cry just has the benefit or being on it's like 7th iteration.

I don't see them as, particularly valid criticisms. CP2077 is attempting to provide you, the player with the freedom to navigate missions using the tools and resources available to you within the framework of an open-world RPG experience. None of the games mentioned, are remotely attempting to do the same. They're enclosed experiences and that's a huge factor. I mean what next? Are we going to have a thread bitching out CP2077 because the driving isn't as great as it is in Forza? No shit Sherlock. How many more asynchronous comparisons do we require?

This whole thing reminds me of people moaning about TW3 winning in GOTG thread because they couldn't wrap their heads around the simple fact that for a great many people malleability of play in terms of the gestalt is far more important than any single aspect.

The game is not beyond criticism (I dislike the general NPC behaviour after a fights broken out and the AI driving behaviour is lamentable). But these are very much temporal issues, that can and will be addressed, through patches and updates over the coming months.

I'm over 300 hours deep now just exploring the game, trying out things and checking out the systems and having a blast. But I'm also submitting a lot of bug reports as well.

I dunno. As someone that does like the game and you go check that Witcher 3 GOTG thread, you'll see me in their championing that game too(probably my single favorite game of all time) I plain just disagree with you.
WBF9YDC.png

But just because I'm a HUGE fan of CDPR, doesn't mean I'll just gloss over the very glaring issues the game has. It's fun for what it offers, but it's half of what was promised. It's not a deep roleplaying game with really ANY kind of meaningful replay value. IF you can reload a specific save point and see 3 of the 4 endings without having to change a thing, then what's the point in replaying it? The criticism goes far beyond the NPC behavior. If you don't see that, than I'm not sure what you are expecting anyone to say. I really like the game, but it's got a lot of issues, and I'm not even talking technical, just plain design decisions that should have been addressed a long time ago. They at a minimum should have tempered expectations. I don't mind that the CP2077 does things just ok in the context of driving, and shooting, but where they should have shined, which is being an RPG, it just utterly fails to be anything other than mediocre.

Last edited:
I'd have loved Hitman style mission design. Having side stories within the gigs that'd unlock more creative ways to inflitrate bases or get to your target instead of just opening another hatch on the roof or finding a crack in the wall or fence for the 50th time

Alebrije

By the time the interview was done he knew the kind of trash Cyberbug was so is the same case as BM from Hello Games saying No Mans Sky had some features that never were implemented on release. Little sweet lies.

The game ended as a buggy GTA copy with cheap NPC A.I. and this guy was talking about Benchmarks...
What a joke.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely a benchmark in open-world environment building. I've never seen such an impressive interconnected and layered city like this in a video game and they give you the movement options to explore it with very few invisible walls. Better yet, none of it is instanced off. All of the stuff you do and placed you go actually exist in the world. It just feels expertly realized. I think the high bar they set with the environment makes the piss poor NPCs that populate it stick out even more.

harmny

Banned
The game ended as a buggy GTA copy with cheap NPC A.I. and this guy was talking about Benchmarks...
What a joke.
"Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…”

developer: we are not trying to be gta
poster: this is just a gta copy and a bad one at that

maybe it's a bad gta copy because they are not trying to copy gta. who would've thunk

the only joke here is your post.

Last edited:
Definitely a benchmark in open-world environment building. I've never seen such an impressive interconnected and layered city like this in a video game and they give you the movement options to explore it with very few invisible walls. Better yet, none of it is instanced off. All of the stuff you do and placed you go actually exist in the world. It just feels expertly realized. I think the high bar they set with the environment makes the piss poor NPCs that populate it stick out even more.
I really hope that now that the foundation has been set, that if we get a sequel, they can add in the RPG elements that they originally wanted. I'm sure it was a very time-consuming process making the city, but now that it's been made, maybe they can focus on building the other elements that would make this game amazing. Night City is probably the single best video-game city ever made probably followed by Novigrad from Witcher 3 and then the small city from GTAV.

Caption is a lie though, it was just those pants. They're special dickpants.

I see it more as a feature than a bug.

Last edited:

Alebrije

"Whilst it’s very humbling to us to have our game be compared to GTA, with Cyberpunk 2077, we are striving for a different, story-driven experience…”

developer: we are not trying to be gta
poster: this is just a gta copy and a bad one at that

maybe it's a bad gta copy because they are not trying to copy gta. who would've thunk

the only joke here is your post.

Still the game got compared to GTA with a futuristic skin....saddly is not even on par with GTA V. The game is a joke as a Benchmark ....NPC A.I. by example is crap. Just the level design saves the day but the rest is lame.

Last edited:
Im playing Witcher 3 for the second time, 5 years later. 30 minutes in i got hooked again like on heroin. No other game did that to me. Its massive and just when you think ok enough for today, something keeps you in for more. The only RPG story wise that is similar was KOTOR 1&2.

CP they better fix but right now i only got time for W3.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Q

Still the game got compared to GTA with a futuristic skin....saddly is not even on par with GTA V. The game is a joke as a Benchmark ....NPC A.I. by example is crap. Just the level design saves the day but the rest is lame.
I disagree, Cyberpunk is an RPG first and it puts storytelling front and center. I mean you say level design, but there are plenty of missions with no real combat to speak of, like just story and interaction.

GTA's missions are mostly excuses to have you get into chases and do fun shit in your car, it's mostly a driving game and the third person shooter stuff isn't very good.

Cyberpunk had only a handful of driving missions in the whole game (which are indeed trash, with teleporting cars and terrible AI). It's really a totally different kind of game, the similarities are really just structural.

Alebrije

I disagree, Cyberpunk is an RPG first and it puts storytelling front and center. I mean you say level design, but there are plenty of missions with no real combat to speak of, like just story and interaction.

GTA's missions are mostly excuses to have you get into chases and do fun shit in your car, it's mostly a driving game and the third person shooter stuff isn't very good.

Cyberpunk had only a handful of driving missions in the whole game (which are indeed trash, with teleporting cars and terrible AI). It's really a totally different kind of game, the similarities are really just structural.

Do you considere Cyberbug as a Benchmark? After Witcher 3 I really wanted it to be but resulted more a joke. GTA is the most similar and used game to compate it regarding open world games but got your point of view.

All is about expectactions after all

images

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Do you considere Cyberbug as a Benchmark? After Witcher 3 I really wanted it to be but resulted more a joke. GTA is the most similar and used game to compate it regarding open world games but got your point of view.

All is about expectactions after all

The only RPG in GTA is one you buy in a gun store or pick up in a mission.

geary

After Witcher 3 I really wanted it to be
Are you saying that Witcher 3 was a benchmark of open world RPG at launch....Why the fuck people compare Cyberpunk with games which are now mature with multiple patches and balancing. How good was W3 and GTAV at launch....? Even R2R was a mess on performance on PC launch

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Are you saying that Witcher 3 was a benchmark of open world RPG at launch....Why the fuck people compare Cyberpunk with games which are now mature with multiple patches and balancing. How good was W3 and GTAV at launch....? Even R2R was a mess on performance on PC launch

Shush you. Don't ruin the narrative people have going on here.

As opposed to what? The narrative that even if Cyberpunk 2077 was completely bug free and ran fine that it would be above average?

The bugs and performance issues are actually overshadowing the major parts of the game that are lacking.
Exactly, I find the fanboys trying to push the narrative that the game is incredible and the only problem is the bug and the glitches funny, in fact it is helping to hide how mediocre everything else is.

Kadayi

Banned
As opposed to what? The narrative that even if Cyberpunk 2077 was completely bug free and ran fine that it would be above average?

Exactly, I find the fanboys trying to push the narrative that the game is incredible and the only problem is the bug and the glitches funny, in fact it is helping to hide how mediocre everything else is.

So let me get this right. Somehow the bugs are hiding its mediocrity? In what universe does that make any sense?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Lol, really? Judging from your post history, the people pushing a narrative aren't the fan boys. The fan boys mostly keep themselves in the OT, while whatever your doing somehow finds its way into every other thread. Funny that.

I guess the hatewagon has run out of steam and now you're bumping articles from over half a year ago to.....make a point? Which is....what? A game developer, clutches pearls, had high ambitions and talked up their game in an interview. I've never seen that in all my time in this hobby! What a disgusting insult upon the completely pure, honest and ethical gaming industry! Something you hate living rent free in your head must be a miserable existence. I pity the bumper, I really do.

Oh god, people actually bringing up Watchdogs: Legions, or any Watchdogs game, as superior. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's a fucking take isn't it. You do you and all, enjoy what you want but stating it as fact is some preem fuckery. I'm very glad a lot of the posters here never played classic games on release, like the first two Witchers, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games or the Gothic games. Your heads would have exploded from raaaaaaaaaage and I'm happy you're still with us here today.

I'm still very confused as to which game I'm supposed to compare this to and why criticisms about Cyberpunk didn't and don't also apply to those games equally. Is it GTA? Is it Dishonored? Is it Fallout? Is it Horizon? Is it Mass Effect? Is it TLOU? GTA and Red Dead are shit because I had no choice on how to plan the meager amount (Rockstar liars! The trailer showed heists and there are barely any in-game! Liars!!!!) of heists, don't affect the world in any way shape or form, and I can't run more than 10 yards without huffing and puffing like a senior citizen with emphysema. Dishonored is crap because there are no cars. Fallout is shit because there are no implants. Horizon is dumb because I . Mass Effect is terrible because I can't stealth. TLOU is crap because I'm forced to go to A when I wanted to go to B, Joel's got a baby dick, and Ellie's ass is a travesty compared to Panam's. ALL of those games are total shit because of cut content.

The game gives a good initial impression. The issue is that after a while the city becomes completely soulless. I just don’t care anymore and just drive straight ahead from point A to B.

I can easily apply this to every GTA, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima.....every open world game ever. To say otherwise is entirely dishonest.

the benchmark was how fast you destroy years of trust with lies in just a day
Nah. They've taken a pr hit, no denying that, but it's far from over and not nearly as bad as what click hungry journos and Youtubers want you to believe. It's sold well and continues to sell well. It's the vocal minority. They'll all be back later or the little tykes will tucker themselves out and move onto the next hot outrage. We know gamers are generally cowards with no convictions and completely unable to follow through on anything. It is known.

By the time the interview was done he knew the kind of trash Cyberbug was so is the same case as BM from Hello Games saying No Mans Sky had some features that never were implemented on release. Little sweet lies.

What a joke.
Riiiight. People only call something a copy when they're unable to actually articulate their criticisms or what they find to be of lesser quality. I really enjoyed all those dialogue options, rpg mechanics, open ended combat scenarios, varied quests, lore and worldbuilding, ripple effects on the actual world (that many of the haters outright ignored or dismiss) and actual character development in GTA. You didn't play the game clearly so why are you even paying attention to it? Weird and sad. Not a NMS situation at all if you actually knew anything about either situation. Post this list of officially confirmed and missing features, please, if you're so well versed with the game.

Oh, the arrogance and hubris in this post is incredible. The only narrative here is the one constructed by the hatebrigade of all the "missing" features. Expand upon what is mediocre in this game and what games do those things better? Without mentioning AI or bugs, which we're all aware of and everyone agrees to varying extents. I don't think you even played the game nor have a clue what you're talking about. Stop using Youtubers to form an opinion. Go play games instead of bitching about ones you had no interest in. This hobby is infinitely more enjoyable when you focus on fun instead of complaining or hating on something.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm still very confused as to which game I'm supposed to compare this to and why criticisms about Cyberpunk didn't and don't also apply to those games equally. Is it GTA? Is it Dishonored? Is it Fallout? Is it Horizon? Is it Mass Effect? Is it TLOU? GTA and Red Dead are shit because I had no choice on how to plan the meager amount (Rockstar liars! The trailer showed heists and there are barely any in-game! Liars!!!!) of heists, don't affect the world in any way shape or form, and I can't run more than 10 yards without huffing and puffing like a senior citizen with emphysema. Dishonored is crap because there are no cars. Fallout is shit because there are no implants. Horizon is dumb because I . Mass Effect is terrible because I can't stealth. TLOU is crap because I'm forced to go to A when I wanted to go to B, Joel's got a baby dick, and Ellie's ass is a travesty compared to Panam's. ALL of those games are total shit because of cut content.

Let me preface this by saying that I liked CP2077 a lot, I placed it in my top 3 this year with a 50 hour play time, because you're obviously very passionate about the game and I can't be bothered getting into a shouting match. I'm not here to call the game bad, it's just very obviously underbaked, and all we can do is take the game as it's currently being sold.

You kinda pointed out the problem, though - Cyberpunk tries to be all of those games at once and ends up being really underwhelming in almost every individual department. The gunplay was surprisingly tight, and I liked a lot of the plot, and characters. But the open world, driving, RPG mechanics, stealth, melee combat, influence on the world, and more, were all really not that great. It really is a jack of all trades and a master of none. It's incredibly ambitious, and I admire that about it, which along with the plot/characters kept me going. But even though I didn't ride the hype train, it still felt as though CDPR overpromised and underdelivered. You don't even have to believe the rumours and speculation, you can go watch some of the old extensive gameplay previews from just a few years back and see just how much didn't make it into the final game, it's pretty wild. That's official CDPR marketing material and it's still up on Youtube. Even without the litany of bugs and borderline criminal console performance, if I was some regular consumer who didn't understand how this industry works and why all this stuff isn't there right now, I'd probably be pretty mad about what I'd been sold on compared to the final product.

Let me preface this by saying that I liked CP2077 a lot, I placed it in my top 3 this year with a 50 hour play time, because you're obviously very passionate about the game and I can't be bothered getting into a shouting match. I'm not here to call the game bad, it's just very obviously underbaked, and all we can do is take the game as it's currently being sold.

You kinda pointed out the problem, though - Cyberpunk tries to be all of those games at once and ends up being really underwhelming in almost every individual department. The gunplay was surprisingly tight, and I liked a lot of the plot, and characters. But the open world, driving, RPG mechanics, stealth, melee combat, influence on the world, and more, were all really not that great. It really is a jack of all trades and a master of none. It's incredibly ambitious, and I admire that about it, which along with the plot/characters kept me going. But even though I didn't ride the hype train, it still felt as though CDPR overpromised and underdelivered. You don't even have to believe the rumours and speculation, you can go watch some of the old extensive gameplay previews from just a few years back and see just how much didn't make it into the final game, it's pretty wild. That's official CDPR marketing material and it's still up on Youtube. Even without the litany of bugs and borderline criminal console performance, if I was some regular consumer who didn't understand how this industry works and why all this stuff isn't there right now, I'd probably be pretty mad about what I'd been sold on compared to the final product.

Some fine points there and I don't want to get into a shouting match either, but can admittedly be prone to engage in one at times lol, and have always wanted to engage in discussion with people who think a game is"shit" or why something is bad or good. I'll give credit where credit's due if someone's opinion is stated well or at least makes an attempt to engage in a discussion. None of my friends play games or just mainly stick to things like Pokemon and Football Manager so I joined here for the discussions, initially Cyberpunk discussions specifically, and to not be judged as a Nazi sympathizer or transphobe or some other incendiary term recklessly thrown around by selectively woke and hypocritical lunatics.

At the end of the day, we all want to enjoy the games we purchase. I'll never agree with the gameplay previews used as a criticism simply because it was clearly and repeatedly stated as a work in progress. I think CDPR learned a valuable lesson, besides delays are better than pushing a release, that they shouldn't release any footage until it's much closer to release and overestimated their audience's ability to understand what a vertical slice/work in progress video is, much as we've seen with many other studios and games in the past. FWIW, that initial 2018 gameplay trailer was never meant for public release until consumers hemmed and hawed about wanting to see it. To your last point, a different perspective is anyone who follows a game's marketing for multiple years should understand how the industry works, at least at a base level. To not understand it or even attempt to is just willful ignorance or pure laziness in my opinion.

Thanks for the detailed post and I enjoyed reading it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Some fine points there and I don't want to get into a shouting match either, but can admittedly be prone to engage in one at times lol, and have always wanted to engage in discussion with people who think a game is"shit" or why something is bad or good. I'll give credit where credit's due if someone's opinion is stated well or at least makes an attempt to engage in a discussion. None of my friends play games or just mainly stick to things like Pokemon and Football Manager so I joined here for the discussions, initially Cyberpunk discussions specifically, and to not be judged as a Nazi sympathizer or transphobe or some other incendiary term recklessly thrown around by selectively woke and hypocritical lunatics.

At the end of the day, we all want to enjoy the games we purchase. I'll never agree with the gameplay previews used as a criticism simply because it was clearly and repeatedly stated as a work in progress. I think CDPR learned a valuable lesson, besides delays are better than pushing a release, that they shouldn't release any footage until it's much closer to release and overestimated their audience's ability to understand what a vertical slice/work in progress video is, much as we've seen with many other studios and games in the past. FWIW, that initial 2018 gameplay trailer was never meant for public release until consumers hemmed and hawed about wanting to see it. To your last point, a different perspective is anyone who follows a game's marketing for multiple years should understand how the industry works, at least at a base level. To not understand it or even attempt to is just willful ignorance or pure laziness in my opinion.

Thanks for the detailed post and I enjoyed reading it.

My issue is more that, to me at least, a "work in progress" should mean "it looks rough now, but it will be better on launch", rather than "the final product you get will be worse in a multitude of areas". No matter the reason for the material's release, they released it. And I get what you're saying, but it's Youtube, it's not the same as a forum like NeoGAF, or even something like a gaming podcast; it was splattered on the front page of the second most popular website on the planet for everyone to see, and they really shot themselves in the foot doing so.

Hopefully, and most likely, the blame can be laid at the feet of the money men at CDPR, and this is actually an opportunity for all developers to show their marketing/production departments the results of pushing things out of the door that just aren't ready. I'm quite happy to play a beautiful disaster like Cyberpunk personally, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else right now, I'd tell them to give it at least six months and see what happens. Sadly, I don't think even time will address some of my deeper issues with the game, but I'm always willing to give something a go when it shoots so dramatically for the stars, even it it explodes on the way there.

So let me get this right. Somehow the bugs are hiding its mediocrity? In what universe does that make any sense?
The game has so many bugs and glitches to the point of distraction and every conversation revolves around it.
Lol, really? Judging from your post history, the people pushing a narrative aren't the fan boys. The fan boys mostly keep themselves in the OT, while whatever your doing somehow finds its way into every other thread. Funny that.
Sorry if my opinion isn't please for you.
I guess the hatewagon has run out of steam and now you're bumping articles from over half a year ago to.....make a point? Which is....what? A game developer, clutches pearls, had high ambitions and talked up their game in an interview. I've never seen that in all my time in this hobby! What a disgusting insult upon the completely pure, honest and ethical gaming industry! Something you hate living rent free in your head must be a miserable existence. I pity the bumper, I really do.

Oh god, people actually bringing up Watchdogs: Legions, or any Watchdogs game, as superior. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That's a fucking take isn't it. You do you and all, enjoy what you want but stating it as fact is some preem fuckery. I'm very glad a lot of the posters here never played classic games on release, like the first two Witchers, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games or the Gothic games. Your heads would have exploded from raaaaaaaaaage and I'm happy you're still with us here today.

I can easily apply this to every GTA, Red Dead, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima.....every open world game ever. To say otherwise is entirely dishonest.

Nah. They've taken a pr hit, no denying that, but it's far from over and not nearly as bad as what click hungry journos and Youtubers want you to believe. It's sold well and continues to sell well. It's the vocal minority. They'll all be back later or the little tykes will tucker themselves out and move onto the next hot outrage. We know gamers are generally cowards with no convictions and completely unable to follow through on anything. It is known.

Riiiight. People only call something a copy when they're unable to actually articulate their criticisms or what they find to be of lesser quality. I really enjoyed all those dialogue options, rpg mechanics, open ended combat scenarios, varied quests, lore and worldbuilding, ripple effects on the actual world (that many of the haters outright ignored or dismiss) and actual character development in GTA. You didn't play the game clearly so why are you even paying attention to it? Weird and sad. Not a NMS situation at all if you actually knew anything about either situation. Post this list of officially confirmed and missing features, please, if you're so well versed with the game.

Oh, the arrogance and hubris in this post is incredible. The only narrative here is the one constructed by the hatebrigade of all the "missing" features. Expand upon what is mediocre in this game and what games do those things better? Without mentioning AI or bugs, which we're all aware of and everyone agrees to varying extents. I don't think you even played the game nor have a clue what you're talking about. Stop using Youtubers to form an opinion. Go play games instead of bitching about ones you had no interest in. This hobby is infinitely more enjoyable when you focus on fun instead of complaining or hating on something.
lol "missing"
Yeah I have played 38~40hrs and did 6 finals, believe or not.

Generic? The game oozes style, and from we've seen, it's environments vary wildly. You've got the hot, dirty and rustic look of the Badlands. The slick, clean and high tech corporate environments. And the brightly colored neon streets of Night City. How does it look generic?
First game in a long time where I have to stop and take in the visuals. Night city is beautiful! They've built a world where they can keep expanding

ZehDon

Gold Member
Sorry if my opinion isn't please for you.
It's not really a matter of disagreeing with ones opinion. People are free not to like any game - despite what some people might suggest. Don't enjoy Cyberpunk? No problem, sorry it wasn't for you, hope you find something better to play, no hard feelings. However, it becomes something else entirely when people are going out of their way to spread bullshit. For example, you said:
The game has so many bugs and glitches to the point of distraction and every conversation revolves around it...
Which isn't really true at all. The conversation around the game is one of two: the first is people playing the game and wanting to discuss it, warts and all. The "distraction" part? Yeah, that's the other conversation: people peddling bullshit and lies for clicks and bandwagons, who feel the need to regurgitate the hyperbolic nonsense because it's a meme. We saw this garbage with TLOUII. It was trash then, and it's trash now. The game has bugs and glitches, no question. But you're just peddling crap - the hyperbole of the game being a non-functional two hour long cash grab with no story, no gameplay, and no redeeming qualities of any kind that's somehow worse than every game ever made before it in every definable way. That's not an opinion: that's "The Quartering" levels of fuckery. You're better than that. Want to actually discuss the game instead of posting memes? Say something meaningful, and I'd be only too happy to reply.

EDMIX

You kinda pointed out the problem, though - Cyberpunk tries to be all of those games at once and ends up being really underwhelming in almost every individual department. The gunplay was surprisingly tight, and I liked a lot of the plot, and characters. But the open world, driving, RPG mechanics, stealth, melee combat, influence on the world, and more, were all really not that great. It really is a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Sums up how I feel about the title.

I was willing to ignore many, many issues if the RPG mechanics were solid, but calling this an RPG is like calling Far Cry one or something. The gunplay feels good, but when the AI is so slow, its like who cares. When you do a mission and get lots of money, not having the ability to buy a property, buy a hair cut, tattoos, upgrading a car etc simply makes the economy of the game even more pointless.

I feel like CP2077 is a game written by writers that had no contact with the people making the actual gameplay elements. The story and world concept isn't bad, its execution is just horrid and I'd feel more comfortable with Ubisoft making this game and CDPR doing its story, narrative etc.

Watchdogs 1 has trains, car chases, hacking etc shit might as well let that team physically make the world and just add in the writers from CDPR. The best part of CP2077 is just like the best part of the Witcher series.....the story, but that excuse is getting a bit old. This is a video game, not a book.

harmny

Banned

I was willing to ignore many, many issues if the RPG mechanics were solid, but calling this an RPG is like calling Far Cry one or something. The gunplay feels good, but when the AI is so slow, its like who cares. When you do a mission and get lots of money, not having the ability to buy a property, buy a hair cut, tattoos, upgrading a car etc simply makes the economy of the game even more pointless.

I feel like CP2077 is a game written by writers that had no contact with the people making the actual gameplay elements. The story and world concept isn't bad, its execution is just horrid and I'd feel more comfortable with Ubisoft making this game and CDPR doing its story, narrative etc.

Watchdogs 1 has trains, car chases, hacking etc shit might as well let that team physically make the world and just add in the writers from CDPR. The best part of CP2077 is just like the best part of the Witcher series.....the story, but that excuse is getting a bit old. This is a video game, not a book.

worst take i've seen but well it's from edmix.

Yep. Story is stellar. Everything else is sub par. Even the mod system is broken. One of the core mechanics on the RPG side.
CDPR have more shit to fix with each passing day.

My issue is more that, to me at least, a "work in progress" should mean "it looks rough now, but it will be better on launch", rather than "the final product you get will be worse in a multitude of areas". No matter the reason for the material's release, they released it. And I get what you're saying, but it's Youtube, it's not the same as a forum like NeoGAF, or even something like a gaming podcast; it was splattered on the front page of the second most popular website on the planet for everyone to see, and they really shot themselves in the foot doing so.

Hopefully, and most likely, the blame can be laid at the feet of the money men at CDPR, and this is actually an opportunity for all developers to show their marketing/production departments the results of pushing things out of the door that just aren't ready. I'm quite happy to play a beautiful disaster like Cyberpunk personally, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else right now, I'd tell them to give it at least six months and see what happens. Sadly, I don't think even time will address some of my deeper issues with the game, but I'm always willing to give something a go when it shoots so dramatically for the stars, even it it explodes on the way there.

Visually it looks better now, though... well... on PC. The stuff that feels demonstrably worse to me is stuff like the chase sequence but those scripted segments feel the least important part of the game, tbh.

AV

Visually it looks better now, though... well... on PC. The stuff that feels demonstrably worse to me is stuff like the chase sequence but those scripted segments feel the least important part of the game, tbh.

You should re-watch the 2018 gameplay video in its entirety when you have the time and laugh at all the stuff the narrator talks about that never made it in. It's a different game almost. I liked this game, but I'd love the game they were talking about.

AV

I have. It's really not very far off from what we got.

Ehh, if that's what you see and hear. Fundamentally, sure, it's the same "walk in room shoot guys" game, but it's missing dozens of details that that footage showed off; the things that are supposed to set a game apart from others. And the amount of things the narrator claims the game will have that it doesn't is just hilarious. Maybe in a year's time we'll have that game, who knows.

Top Bottom