• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuisinart issues massive recall of products from 1996-2015 after mouth injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Cuisinart-issues-massive-recall-after-reports-of-10792990.php

Conair is replacing 8 million blades used in Cuisinart food processors after 30 people reported mouth lacerations or tooth injuries after eating food that had fragments of metal caused by cracking in the blades.

The recall affects riveted blades manufactured in China for machines sold between July 1996 through December 2015
for between $100 and $350, with model numbers listed online.

Conair and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission are instructing consumers to stop using the food processors’ riveted blades and contact Cuisinart for a free replacement blade at 877-339-2534 from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern Time Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; or online at www.cuisinart.com\recall.

From Cuisinart's website:

SAFETY RECALL - Riveted Blade in the following series of Cuisinart® Food Processors:

• CFP-9
• CFP-11
• DFP-7
• DFP-11
• DFP-14
• DLC-5
• DLC-7
• DLC-8
• DLC-10
• DLC-XP
• DLC-2007
• DLC-2009
• DLC-2011
• DLC-2014
• DLC-3011
• DLC-3014
• EV-7
• EV-10
• EV-11
• EV-14
• KFP-7
• MP-14

The riveted blade may crack and a piece of the blade could detach, which may result in a laceration hazard.

TO DETERMINE IF YOUR FOOD PROCESSOR BLADE IS PART OF THE RECALL:

Recalled

1. Check the blade to see if there are rivets...

nS80I2Q.png

2. If your blade has rivets, check the Model or Series number of your Food Processor, as shown on the bottom of the Food Processor (see below). If the number starts with any of the above (which may be followed by a suffix), STOP using the riveted blade immediately. Call the Customer Service number or register Online to receive a replacement blade.

K4bl58x.png

Not Recalled

1. If the Model number ends in a Y as shown on the front panel of the box ...

i0ysb1n.png

OR

2. There are NO RIVETS on the blade ...

cf2Ow90.png

Your Food Processor is NOT involved in this recall. You may continue to use your Food Processor.

How apropos, just the other day I was cleaning ours and noticed a nicked out piece of metal on the blade--I thought it was designed that way and was trying to imagine what industrial engineering purpose would suit that. Looking at it now I can clearly see the cracks radially in the blade from each rivet. How exciting.

norm9

That's scary as hell. One of my fears is eating chunks of broken machinery and breaking my mouth or more.

Krusty-os.jpg.cf.jpg

zulux21

hmmm I never paid attention
*goes and checks blade sees it has rivits, it does*
well maybe it won't be the model in question
*compares*
huh it really isn't on the model list.

are those the only ones effected?

I'd still be a big old nope about using it.

I had to dig for a bit to find mine as it's the least used tool I have.
I use the bread one and the slicer far more.

This is one thread where a PSA in the title would actually be warranted. Thanks for looking out OP. We have one of these and even though I don't think we ever use it I'll check it tonight.

HOLY FUCK. 3 months ago I almost ordered the famous one. It's said the best food processor you can buy is a cuisinart. it gets the top review from all the sites.

I ended up buying a Magimix instead- The one Jamie Oliver uses in fact.
The plan was to get a blender- the one everyone raves about; The Vitamix. But it's incredible expensive. Upwards 800 dollars in many EU territories after taxes and VAT. My aim was to blend things like frozen bananas, and hummus and that sort of stuff, and people said the Cuisinart was the best product (a food processor) for this.

Actually when it comes to home appliances reviews are really difficult. When it comes to gaming its easier because even though we're frustrated with early games released that needs patches, it's a lot worse with home appliances.

you can risk buying the most expensive vacuum cleaner, fridge, dishwasher and other appliances that end up blowing up or being destroyed a few years down the line. reviews don't reflect that, and its scary to think your top rated dishwasher from samsung with smart technology, build in fleshlight and sodastream dispenser could blow up.

I really hope reviews in the future will be made over long periods of time. Like, long term year-after-year testing will be the norm as to how and what we base our purchases on. We would risk creating an Environment where we wouldn't buy the latest technology, but might opt for going with a product that has many highly favorable reviews over a 1-5 year period instead of the amazon reviews of "i've had this blender for 13 days and my mouth is not yet lacerated".
Long term reviews make sense. particularly as more and more things can be updated with firmware as smart technologies allow new features.

I think I have a Cuisinart stick blender. Better check for rivets.

The plan was to get a blender- the one everyone raves about; The Vitamix. But it's incredible expensive. Upwards 800 dollars in many EU territories after taxes and VAT. My aim was to blend things like frozen bananas, and hummus and that sort of stuff, and people said the Cuisinart was the best product (a food processor) for this.
Vitamix and Blendtec blenders are a world apart in quality from the cheap crap, though. You can get them spinning so fast that they can cook hot soup, and our Vitamix powers through fruits, veggies, and ice like it's nothing, making really smooth smoothies.

zulux21

Yep, and the model isn't even listed. When i check the website, it's saying the model isn't in the recall, but I CLEARLY have a riveted blade...

they might have different tiers of quality for the riveted blades and some of them aren't in question.

I am to lazy to find the actual model number for mine.

either way I imagine I can just request a new one... so I likely will.

if they need proof of purchase or something like that after years... well i guess I will just make sure to check my blade before I eat anything :p

FinKL

they might have different tiers of quality for the riveted blades and some of them aren't in question.

I am to lazy to find the actual model number for mine.

either way I imagine I can just request a new one... so I likely will.

if they need proof of purchase or something like that after years... well i guess I will just make sure to check my blade before I eat anything :p

Yeah, not gonna hurt to request one, but now the website is down.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
That's a pretty massive recall for what appears to be a rather small number of people filing complaints after so many years.

That's a pretty massive recall for what appears to be a rather small number of people filing complaints after so many years.

Do you really think any company wants to take that chance? Better to do this now than have a class-action suit for people with metal shards in their food.

:( Annnnd fuck, mine's included.

Nikodemos

Man, modern kitchen appliances are so shit it boggles the mind.

I'll keep using my 1993 (or was it '94?) Moulinex 750 and 1980s East German hand mixer until they blow up.

Kilau

Gold Member
Thank you for the heads up on this, my model is listed and as I look at the blade it's actually coming apart underneath at one of the rivets.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
1996? Fucking really? So they have no idea when their QC went to shit, if there was ever a time it was otherwise.

entremet

Luckily procrastination saved me here. Never missed not having a food processor.

I have a blender and kitchen aid mixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom