• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics has announced it is now developing the next TOMB RAIDER

//DEVIL//

They just started ?? Ffs this gen gonna sucks waiting for big games on unreal engine 5. See you guys in 2025

And no. I don’t count ps4/Xbox one games on ps5/series x a next gen games . Including halo and horizon forbidden banana

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
They just started ?? Ffs this gen gonna sucks waiting for big games . See you guys in 2025
Not surprising. Avengers was released just a year and a half ago. Then they were contracted to assist The Initiative with Perfect Dark since they've been having employee retention issues. So they were probably doing that while working on a pitch for a new Tomb Raider.

kiphalfton

Played the first and second games, and although I enjoyed them both quite a bit… the gameplay loop of upgrading stuff and crafting got stale. Actually I think those soft rpg elements are in every game now, maybe that’s why it got old? In any case this new game needs to put Tomb Raider back on the map.

ParaSeoul

Leaked screenshots
7457117a8cee5139cfc30f0a1ad2b7e4.jpg

v2O4gZI.jpg
x3S1ebZ.jpg

Darsxx82

It makes a lot of sense.

PerfectDark is UE5 too and both are co/developed by CriystalDinamics. It would have been a distraction an inefficient to work on different engines

It is clear that both developments are going to feed back and there, maybe, the beneficiary (on grade of optimization sense) may be XSeries X/S (specially the XSS) ?.

Matt_Fox

Hang on, Crystal Dynamics announced over a year ago they were developing the next Tomb Raider. Think today's announcement is just that they're doing so on Unreal Engine 5.

So hopefully not 'quite' so far off.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm actually excited to see NextGen Lara
Not so much the game she'll be in, CD has gone a bit woke.
I just want some one on one time with Lara in a Tomb no bullshit story & shitty characters

Fbh

While I enjoy the games I'm hoping for a bit of a soft reboot.
I like a lot of elements in the new Tomb Raider (The awesome visuals and the puzzles in particular) but the new Lara has always been so boring and unlikable, besides Shadow of the Tomb Raider sort of finished her story arc.

They just started ?? Ffs this gen gonna sucks waiting for big games on unreal engine 5. See you guys in 2025

And no. I don’t count ps4/Xbox one games on ps5/series x a next games . Including halo and horizon forbidden banana

UE5 games are probably going to start to come out right in time for Ps5 Pro and Series XX.
The current consoles are the cross gen machines

Varteras

Gold Member
Isn't Microsoft making Perfect Dark internally? Perhaps I am thinking of something else.
The Initiative has been having issues retaining employees. So Microsoft and Square Enix agreed to have Crystal Dynamics assist them with development. It sounds like they're doing the heavy lifting for now until The Initiative can get more people internally.

Top Bottom