• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics has announced it is now developing the next TOMB RAIDER

58220-Alison_Carroll-Lara_Croft-gun-brunette-costumes-women.jpg

Should check out the high kicks she did for official promo's... đź‘€

alison-carroll-croft-8118-14.jpg

alison-carroll-croft-8118-111.jpg

alison-carroll-images.jpg

a445kER.jpg

scalman

only now started? man that will be long to wait... u5 is great but not sure about U5 and forest stuff with all those small details on grass and stuff... maybe they will add some of their tech there as well ...
and i would need at least 1 of those every year. like TR, uncharted style and AC and can be more of them. but every year... not every 5-6 years...

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
i just hope they dont hire SAM MAGGS for the developement of this game
Why? You don't want her to be on the project for 9 months, be an insufferable bitch to everyone around her, cry in her office for hours because she wasn't getting her way, make everything about her but claim it was a team effort, complain about Lara having curves and screaming "BIG OL TIDDIES" around the office to make people uncomfortable until she gets yelled at, turn Lara into a lesbian in her own head which everyone else rejects, and then cry misogyny over the whole thing only to immediately get called out by a former female co-worker that she was actually the problem?

mansoor1980

Why? You don't want her to be on the project for 9 months, be an insufferable bitch to everyone around her, cry in her office for hours because she wasn't getting her way, make everything about her but claim it was a team effort, complain about Lara having curves and screaming "BIG OL TIDDIES" around the office to make people uncomfortable until she gets yelled at, turn Lara into a lesbian in her own head which everyone else rejects, and then cry misogyny over the whole thing only to immediately get called out by a former female co-worker that she was actually the problem?
giphy.gif

Airbus Jr

Banned
^that plastic lara with pointy tits and ginormous boobs look so fake and ridiculous and only good for costplay

Aint no way that outfit is comfortable for survival in the jungle

The curent crystal dynamics lara are far superior to that
yCbiYBp.jpg

They just need to improve the graphics for the next game

Last edited:

Fredrik

Rise was by some distance the best TR since the original. Delighted CD are back on board and can't wait to see this on PC. Hopefully the loss of Nixxes to that other mob won't be a problem.
Hmm yeah what will happen to the PC version now? Nixxes was CD’s go to dev for TR ports.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cant wait for them make lara even more ugly, they might as well just use aloys model from horizon, to save a bit of money
its still a better uncharted clone than uncharted is at being uncharted. plus nathan drake is ugly as shit.
Even in thread like this some people still console warring

That jim ryan sony aquitition thread really took a hit on some of you folks huh?

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
^that plastic lara with pointy tits and ginormous boobs look so fake and ridiculous and only good for costplay

Aint no way that outfit is comfortable for survival in the jungle

The curent crystal dynamics lara are far superior to that
yCbiYBp.jpg

They just need to improve the graphics for the next game
How can u say that when she’s only a b cup instead of a g cup?

Reactions: Isa

Papacheeks

Banned
For his sake, I hope he gets along better with this crowd of developers than he did the last one. He didn't adapt very well to his team being over 100 people at Bend. Crystal Dynamics is over 300, I think.

It wasn't that if you knew what happened. It was Jeff and John GARVIN and to an extent davidjaffe davidjaffe are cut from a different cloth creative wise. How it use to be back in the early days of development where one guy had the vision and others worked off of that vision. Now because games are way more complex in terms of animations systems, rigging, scripting, game mechanics itself, physics ect. You have to be able to collaborate since now your going to be making larger projects and working with people who are doing more now.

Jeff, John, Jaffe are super talented guys. It's just not everyone gells with everyone.

So Hoping he brings the heat to Crystal Dynamics.

Varteras

Gold Member
It wasn't that if you knew what happened. It was Jeff and John GARVIN and to an extent davidjaffe davidjaffe are cut from a different cloth creative wise. How it use to be back in the early days of development where one guy had the vision and others worked off of that vision. Now because games are way more complex in terms of animations systems, rigging, scripting, game mechanics itself, physics ect. You have to be able to collaborate since now your going to be making larger projects and working with people who are doing more now.

Jeff, John, Jaffe are super talented guys. It's just not everyone gells with everyone.

So Hoping he brings the heat to Crystal Dynamics.
I know what happened. He mentioned it himself. To David Jaffe and Colin Moriarty. What you described is pretty much exactly what I said he had an issue with. He couldn't adapt to having a bigger team. It required more hands off and collaboration as opposed to smaller teams where tighter control by the directors is possible without bogging down the process. He even mentioned to Jaffe not caring much for how the younger developers he worked with felt about the process he and Garvin had. I don't doubt that there is talent among them but I also see guys who have trouble hanging in the big AAA development scene today. Because these aren't teams of tens anymore. These are now teams of hundreds. In some cases many hundreds. In Crystal Dynamics' case, it's almost 3 times the number of people Bend had by the end of Days Gone's development. It was, among some other reasons, that creative struggle between how they used to do it and how it needed to be done that caused Days Gone to take as long as it did and turned out the way it did. He saw that in himself. He was able to admit his own shortcomings in that regard. And I do feel for the guy because the studio director apparently made him feel like a failure, even though Days Gone sold very well. Even going as far as to deny the sequel he wanted to work on. I hope he finds his footing at Crystal Dynamics. I think he tried moving on to Netherrealm Studios after he left Bend but he didn't last long there.

Orta

Banned
The original painstakingly remade in UE5 would be quite something.

I take it the Nicobass TR2/UE4 remake is dead?

Astral Dog

i really liked the 2012 reboot game,its an awesome action game(that only lacked enemy variety) but much less the 2 sequels,combat was downgraded, more filler areas and annoying mechanics. i wonder what they are gonna do with the next one

Varteras

Gold Member
The stories are usually dumb and take themselves too seriously, and neo-Lara is a whining brat. If they fix those things they'll have a great game on their hands, because the neo-Raider games already have a really solid gameplay loop as a foundation.
What I found hilarious was the response to Lara's character among the ResetEra types after 3 games. They went from praising the fact that she was "more appropriately proportioned" to eventually complaining that her character was bland and they would rather have had "sexy Lara" back because she was a more interesting character. Well yeah, no shit. You wanted a character modeled after what you think you believe is ideal and then you hopefully realized how fucking boring you are yourself.

Rat Rage

Yes i'm hype, Classic Lara and TR games are some of my favorite character and games ever, hopefully it's going back to its roots.

seriously-laugh.gif

The new game is probably going to just be an Uncharted-clone with NFTs (at best) and nothing more. It's gonna cater to the casualest of the casual gamers. The first Tomb Raider games were amazing gameplay-games.

But even back then, the huge success and the following Lara Croft cult/craziness instantly influenced the design concept for its sequel, Tomb Raider II, in a very bad way, trading exporation and isolation and subtle tension for more cinematic-like experiences and shoot-outs with humans and stuff. The dev-team was proably pressured by higher ups to cater to a larger crowd at this point.
It took Core Design another misstep (Tomb Raider 3) to realize how badly they've deviated from Tomb Raider's "core design" and truly went back to the roots with Tomb Raider IV (probably the last good Tomb Raider).

Certinty

Can't wait, 2013 reboot was great. Rise sucked though and Shadow was good with an awful story.

If they can make the good work from those games they'll be a great game to be had.

Even in thread like this some people still console warring

That jim ryan sony aquitition thread really took a hit on some of you folks huh?
They're criticizing the character models, not the console. Plus the latest Tomb Raider trilogy is on Playstation too so it doesn't make since for anyone to start a console war over the franchise.

I agree with your take about new Lara though. The amazing level design and gameplay is what defined old Tomb Raider for me, not Lara or the sexiness. Focusing on Lara and her story is what got us in this mess in the first place.

Top Bottom