• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

LA is requiring vaccinations at large outdoor events, that means Dodgers and Rams games.
Do they really have the systems in place to do this though? I'm not convinced that anyone has proof that I was vaccinated other than my little flash card thing.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Do they really have the systems in place to do this though? I'm not convinced that anyone has proof that I was vaccinated other than my little flash card thing.

In the US immunization records are recorded and stored by the pharmacies and whatever other health systems administered them, and shared with the state for retention in their registries (the state Dept of Health). If you used any of the official websites to schedule your shots then your state Dept of Health tracked it through there as well.

Jaysen

Banned
Another reason to get vaccinated, significantly betters the odds of your ass staying out of the hospital.

And people mocked Kamala for saying we have to protect the vaccinated from the idiots who refuse to vaccinate or mask up.

And people mocked Kamala for saying we have to protect the vaccinated from the idiots who refuse to vaccinate or mask up.
Exactly. They’ll still take monoclonal therapy even though it has the same FDA approval status as the vaccine. All of it is one giant ODD against the vaccine. It is unreal.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Along that line of thought, a friend asked me (since I work in the field) what I thought about some celebrity going off and saying that the unvaccinated shouldn't be treated (I believe it was Howard Stern). I didn't even care to think about it at the time so I just replied with a shrug emoji - plus it was via text and if I can't answer a text in ten-or-so words I usually won't bother replying. But I later gave it some thought, and this is how I would have answered her if we were actually discussing it face to face:

The dilemma, for me, isn't merely whether or not people who are unvaccinated deserve to be treated. The issue is that we are now being forced to ration very scarce resources.

It's my opinion that not treating the unvaccinated who have severe COVID-19 is more akin to not granting heavy drinkers a liver transplant over those with congenital conditions. You aren't punishing the alcoholic - rather are allocating the resources in a way that accounts for epidemiological concerns. For the public health and not just any individual.

I don't think that the unvaccinated should be mistreated because they made a poor decision. When it comes to rationing care, however, they absolutely should be dead last in the queue. Again not to punish them, but because placing the survival of an anti-vaxxer over the survival of someone who needs a surgery (or any kind of treatment for grave concerns) but has it postponed because of anti-vaxxers is a travesty. It just releases that anti-vaxxer back into the wild to continue infecting others while punishing someone else for not being more immediately ill (but still definitely in need of care).

These are not normal times, and thus we need to ration care more responsibly, which means favoring those who are not actively harming the very healthcare apparatuses that the entire public relies upon.

sackings

Along that line of thought, a friend asked me (since I work in the field) what I thought about some celebrity going off and saying that the unvaccinated shouldn't be treated (I believe it was Howard Stern). I didn't even care to think about it at the time so I just replied with a shrug emoji - plus it was via text and if I can't answer a text in ten-or-so words I usually won't bother replying. But I later gave it some thought, and this is how I would have answered her if we were actually discussing it face to face:

The dilemma, for me, isn't merely whether or not people who are unvaccinated deserve to be treated. The issue is that we are now being forced to ration very scarce resources.

It's my opinion that not treating the unvaccinated who have severe COVID-19 is more akin to not granting heavy drinkers a liver transplant over those with congenital conditions. You aren't punishing the alcoholic - rather are allocating the resources in a way that accounts for epidemiological concerns. For the public health and not just any individual.

I don't think that the unvaccinated should be mistreated because they made a poor decision. When it comes to rationing care, however, they absolutely should be dead last in the queue. Again not to punish them, but because placing the survival of an anti-vaxxer over the survival of someone who needs a surgery (or any kind of treatment for grave concerns) but has it postponed because of anti-vaxxers is a travesty. It just releases that anti-vaxxer back into the wild to continue infecting others while punishing someone else for not being more immediately ill (but still definitely in need of care).

These are not normal times, and thus we need to ration care more responsibly, which means favoring those who are not actively harming the very healthcare apparatuses that the entire public relies upon.
So I guess you would also support rejecting obese people as well? The science is clear that they are hugely at risk, regardless of vaccination status. They bog the entire system down, even outside of covid.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
So I guess you would also support rejecting obese people as well? The science is clear that they are hugely at risk, regardless of vaccination status. They bog the entire system down, even outside of covid.

This feels like a disingenuous and stupid question, but I'll point out the obvious: obesity doesn't overwhelm healthcare systems. It can't be spread and contracted by others in the vicinity of obese people. The effects of obesity cannot be vastly reduced to the point of near immunity with a simple vaccine. Obesity doesn't mutate into more dangerous forms of fatness.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Oh hey it's this argument again.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Triage is a difficult process that involves the allocation of scarce resources. What would you do?

Think about this:

Is obesity curable with a free and easy injection?
Is obesity contagious?
Was obesity ever the cause of hospitals becoming dangerously overcrowded worldwide?

Nobody_Important

This feels like a disingenuous and stupid question, but I'll point out the obvious: obesity doesn't overwhelm healthcare systems. It can't be spread and contracted by others in the vicinity of obese people. The effects of obesity cannot be vastly reduced to the point of near immunity with a simple vaccine. Obesity doesn't mutate into more dangerous forms of fatness.
Exactly. It's a completely ridiculous example.

Jaysen

Banned
Hey look, it’s this horrible analogy again.

Nobody_Important

Hey look, it’s this horrible analogy again.
vin-diesel-the-pacifier.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Looks like CA is going to go to war with Disney.

The outdoor event vaccine requirement applies to theme parks.

Do you think Disney would really fight it? Firstly they'd obviously lose any legal challenge. Second it would cast them in a very bad light, especially as we're just now sliding out of the most recent wave. I don't think family-friendly Disney would want to align themselves with the likes of anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers.

Arcadialane

I wish we could get another lockdown here in the UK as we hit another peak. Governments response is weak, basically plans to 'promote vaccines more' great.

Nobody_Important

Ice Cube Reaction GIF

#Ballgate

So at least she admits it was a fucking publicity stunt. But the tinfoil nutcases won't see it that way.

This is just big government trying to bribe the truthful and the faithful. Trying to silence those who shall not be silenced and those who are definitely not fucking stupid.

Narasumas

I wish I had the twitter clout to force members of foreign government to publicly discuss whether they have knowledge of someone with giant testicles.
Just imagine being the person who told Nikki Minaj this. They must be sitting back, watching/reading the news thinking they’re a world master-class troll.

They say it's able to evade vaccines immunity. Which is true if Delta and to an extent even original recipe Covid. Mu does not appear to be uniquely more of a threat an in fact has been declining in regions where delta is dominant.
Then why are the local news reports in such regions reporting the exact opposite?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Who the fuck is Nicki Minaj? I’m not trying to have an old man out of touch moment but I seriously have no idea who she is or why I should give a fuck

Cyberpunkd

I wish we could get another lockdown here in the UK as we hit another peak. Governments response is weak, basically plans to 'promote vaccines more' great.
Yes, let’s make people lose even more jobs, economy will be hit even harder and the government will have to spend even more money that you and your kids will have to pay back.

Nah, we have a way out of the crisis and it’s called vaccine + pass.

Loki

Count of Concision
There are many similarities between this pandemic and the Spanish Flu. I just made a post that includes data from that period.

N3NY3Ra.png

The number of deaths in England and Wales in 2020 was the highest since the year of the Spanish Flu.

According to history, the Spanish Flu killed 675,000 people in the USA.

Currently, the death toll from COVID19 in the USA stands at 660,000 people, with about 1,500 people in the USA dying every day.

Of course, the numbers now would probably be higher just because there's more people now than in 1918, but the magnitude of death is nearly the same.

We don't necessarily have "bodies everywhere" because our death care and morgues are a lot better than 100 years ago, but they have and are still experiencing a strain.

India doesn't have the standard of healthcare that we do, so they resorted to burning bodies outside because they were so overloaded.

That's not accurate. There are exemptions for people with medical issues.

TLDR: I showed you how this pandemic is similar to the Spanish Flu, so does that make you accept your threshold? I also showed you that there are medical exemptions. Do you accept that?

LOL @ "similar to the Spanish Flu." Wow. Just wow. Around 50 million people died from the Spanish Flu worldwide, with a population of 1.8 billion. That would translate to around 200 million deaths with today's 8 billion population. Even take HALF of that amount (due to advances in hygiene/sanitation/medicine etc.) and you're talking 100M people versus COVID's 4.6M. Hell, even take a QUARTER of it and it's 50M vs. 4.6M. And that's a lot of assumptions, mind you. Once could just as easily argue that the increased population density today in cities etc. and more frequent travel increases spread, as thus the Spanish Flu if unleashed today would kill an even greater percentage of the population than it did. In addition, the mortality curve when plotted against age showed a disproportionate number of deaths in the 20-40 year old range as well as the 65-80 year old range, as opposed to COVID, whose mortality exponentially increases above 65 years of age. Hence the Spanish Flu was not only killing far more people, but also far more of the most productive members of society with a lot of life ahead of them. But yeah - completely similar. :messenger_smirking:

Did you really think that no one would call you out on your nonsensical post?

Last edited:

Toons

LOL @ "similar to the Spanish Flu." Wow. Just wow. Around 50 million people died from the Spanish Flu worldwide, with a population of 1.8 billion. That would translate to around 200 million deaths with today's 8 billion population. Even take HALF of that amount (due to advances in hygiene/sanitation/medicine etc.) and you're talking 100M people versus COVID's 4.6M. Hell, even take a QUARTER of it and it's 50M vs. 4.6M. And that's a lot of assumptions, mind you. Once could just as easily argue that the increased population density today in cities etc. and more frequent travel increases spread, as thus the Spanish Flu if unleashed today would kill an even greater percentage of the population than it did. In addition, the mortality curve when plotted against age showed a disproportionate number of deaths in the 20-40 year old range as well as the 65-80 year old range, as opposed to COVID, whose mortality exponentially increases above 65 years of age. Hence the Spanish Flu was not only killing far more people, but also far more of the most productive members of society with a lot of life ahead of them. But yeah - completely similar. :messenger_smirking:

*facepalm*

Loki

Count of Concision
Did you really not read my whole post because I addressed your very criticism in the same post.

That statement doesn't oveerride the obvious tone and import of your post - you posted reams of data with a clear aim of drawing some sort of equivalence. And your summary statement of "I've shown you how COVID is similar to the Spanish Flu" is simply completely off base.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Let's analyze this.

That statement
My statement, which was an objective fact.

doesn't oveerride the obvious tone and import of your post
The tone and import that you felt and imagined.

you posted reams of data with a clear aim of drawing some sort of equivalence.
My aim was not to draw an equivalence, because if I wanted to do that, I would have, you know, actually drawn an equivalence. Instead, I pointed out a similarity, which is not an equivalence. You can identify this because I literally used the word "similarity", and also because I pointed out a major thing in that post and another major thing in a follow up post that specifically acknowledges the differences between these two time periods, which to most readers, would indicate a similar yet non-equivalent comparison is taking place.

And your summary statement of "I've shown you how COVID is similar to the Spanish Flu" is simply completely off base.
Off base?

Both are pandemics - check
Both are viral in nature - check
Both are respiratory illnesses thus spread in similar ways - check
Both killed 600,000 people in the USA alone - check
Both require limitations on gathering, masking, and other non-pharmaceutical interventions to stop the spread - check
Both have safe and effective vaccines that if used en masse will drastically reduce the death toll - ch...oh wait we didn't have that back then. Good thing we have that now.

Look at all those similarities!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

You missed out on history, and vastly underestimate the impact of a century's worth of advances in sanitation and medicine.

For a brief recap, since we're making comparisons: there were no vaccines against influenza until decades after the Spanish Flu first struck. Mankind wasn't even sure it was a virus until the 1930's - up until then we thought it was a bacteria. There were no useful treatments until the 1930's - not even steroids to help people power through the symptoms. Certainly nothing rising to level of powerful antivirals or immune suppressives (such things would have seemed like magic in the early 1900's). People drank and bathed from sources of water adjacent to cesspools. Their idea of hygiene was washing their hands in a bowl of water with no soap. And on, and on, and on.

For another point of comparison: the Plague, which laid low tens of millions in each recurrent wave throughout centuries, wouldn't even pester a modern society, just as it had not much bothered societies come the time of the Spanish Flu. Because of sanitation and medicine.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's clear you missed out on a lot of historical and scientific learning that I suppose many of us here take for granted.

Last edited:
does an argument that invokes other diseases ever boil down to anything more than a justification for a let-the-weak (and unlucky) die form of Social Darwinism?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is there an argument that invokes other diseases ever boil down to anything more than a justification for a let-the-weak (and unlucky) die form of Social Darwinism?
Most of the ad hoc and post hoc rationalizations coming out do seem to tend that way.

Anecdotally (and also ironically), I've seen a lot of "we should take the warning labels off of everything and let natural selection do its work" Facebook posts by those who also succumbed to natural selection.

It's tragic to see how so many are actively contributing to their own hastened demise while also putting their friends and family in danger too.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Most of the ad hoc and post hoc rationalizations coming out do seem to tend that way.

Anecdotally (and also ironically), I've seen a lot of "we should take the warning labels off of everything and let natural selection do its work" Facebook posts by those who also succumbed to natural selection.

It's tragic to see how so many are actively contributing to their own hastened demise while also putting their friends and family in danger too.

Lockstep over the cliff and into the beyond they go, hand in hand, all the while sharing the same ten of fifteen boomer memes and equally nonsensical idioms. Could have just taken a shot. Instead it's prayer warrior time, then Gofundme.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You missed out on history, and vastly underestimate the impact of a century's worth of advances in sanitation and medicine.

For a brief recap, since we're making comparisons: there were no vaccines against influenza until decades after the Spanish Flu first struck. Mankind wasn't even sure it was a virus until the 1930's - up until then we thought it was a bacteria. There were no useful treatments until the 1930's - not even steroids to help people power through the symptoms. Certainly nothing rising to level of powerful antivirals or immune suppressives (such things would have seemed like magic in the early 1900's). People drank and bathed from sources of water adjacent to cesspools. Their idea of hygiene was washing their hands in a bowl of water with no soap. And on, and on, and on.

For another point of comparison: the Plague, which laid low tens of millions in each recurrent wave throughout centuries, wouldn't even pester a modern society, just as it had not much bothered societies come the time of the Spanish Flu. Because of sanitation and medicine.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's clear you missed out on a lot of historical and scientific learning that I suppose many of us here take for granted.
This is a perfect distillation of how a lay person can look at some stats and think they know what they’re talking about, but completely miss the forest for the trees, as you point here.

RAÏSanÏa

Long thread of new stuff in Alberta and their declaring a Provincial Health Emergency yesterday.

Alberta is now asking other provinces for ICU spaces and HCWs because the provincial government didn't enact restrictions in a timely manner like the other provinces did from the same data. They even delayed showing the data that supported their decision to end all restrictions, testing, tracing and isolation at the end of July.
First restrictions showed up in BC on July 29th with more restrictions mid August. Vaccine card announced somewhere in there. By the last week of August BC schools were given provincial mandated restrictions and guidance almost two weeks before school started. Then a vaccine card with QR working this week.

At the same time Alberta reversed course on ending testing, tracing and isolation mid August, enacted few minor restrictions end of August and now almost two weeks after the start of school Alberta gives provincial mandates and a bunch of other measures that could have been taken weeks ago. All very messy and confusing for the province as they try to roll out a vaccine passport they're not prepared to roll out or even call a vaccine passport. It's a 'restriction exemption card' serious...

Besides that trainwreck, back to Alberta asking HCWs of other provinces to come work for them: This is days after the government changed course on reducing pay for their own nurses. And in general outside of this emergency they're very hostile to HCWs there.
Even the antivaxxers being treated are reportedly hostile. Denying they are sick with Covid, lashing out at HCWs.

Asking for ICU space in other provinces takes desperation to overcome the gall considering this problem in Alberta was preventable and plainly seen coming.
Transferring would likely mean highest survival since transferring a Covid ICU patient wouldn't be easy on the patient's recovery. Likely mean they'd have to be double vaccinated. Suppose it would be acceptable to other provinces to take those off Alberta's hands leave the unvaxxed there. Probably take what they can of <12 pediatrics too.
As some point, if not careful, it could compromise care for the citizens in better governed provinces. Alberta's seems on course to ration.

Alberta would be in an even worse shit position if Albertans didn't protest and force the government to reverse on ending testing, tracing and isolating back in early August.

Video showing ICU in Ontario.

RAÏSanÏa

One further note, to trigger the provincial emergency was the announcement the province is 10 days away from its health system running out of ICU capacity. Going by their history that 10 days is probably unrealistically optimistic.
Regardless, it takes about two weeks for restrictions to take effect on cases and a bit longer, about a week, for hospitalizations and icu to go down following data in BC with their restrictions according to their CMOH.

Top Bottom