• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still love that one from New X-Men.

quitely1.jpg

quitely2.jpg

There are so many little things Quitely does to indicate motion in this inherently static medium, without any motion blur or speed lines. The trail of spit from Hank's mouth, the reflection of the trees and the clouds in the windshield showing us a sense of the speed, the tail light trails showing the quick turns, the smoke and flames from Herman and the car. He doesn't use any fancy panel designs, but he subtlety shifts the panel sizes and positions to lead the reader's eye and give them a sense of progressive movement. The panel where Cyclops on the left side of the scene shoots his laser is positioned on the left, we follow that down to the one of Herman getting hit positioned just to the right(which matches the positions of the two characters in relation to each other), or the panels start closing in when Beast is closing in on Herman and just escapes his grasp.

There are so many little things Quitely does to indicate motion in this inherently static medium, without any motion blur or speed lines. The trail of spit from Hank's mouth, the reflection of the trees and the clouds in the windshield showing us a sense of the speed, the tail light trails showing the quick turns, the smoke and flames from Herman and the car. He doesn't use any fancy panel designs, but he subtlety shifts the panel sizes and positions to lead the reader's eye and give them a sense of progressive movement. The panel where Cyclops on the left side of the scene shoots his laser is positioned on the left, we follow that down to the one of Herman getting hit positioned just to the right(which matches the positions of the two characters in relation to each other), or the panels start closing in when Beast is closing in on Herman and just escapes his grasp.

HELL yes

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
And then you turn the next page and see that everyone has a potato face.

C'mon, son. It's time to retire that awful and shitty dismissal of Quitely's incredible art. The dude is a fucking master.

I think I have to get over my issues being perfect, too many times there's little dings or creases. I think it's only because of the price they charge but they don't really hold value anyhow so I should just get over it. There's probably little to any price difference in the long run.

Anyhow, I'm making my pull list for my comic shop and sending it to them. I think I've finished it but willing to hear any suggestions on changes. I have:

Captain Marvel
Magneto
Amazing X-Men
X-Force
All New X-Factor
Harley Quinn
Wolverine and X-Men
Fuse
Ms.Marvel
Uncanny X-men (Still on the fence but kind of want)

Listacular List for Sunday Listing of List

Veil #1
Swamp Thing #29
Jupiter's Legacy #4
Revival #18
Velvet #4
New Warriors #2
She-Hulk #2
Uncanny X-Men #18
Wolverine & The X-Men #1

Has anyone read Peter Tomasi's Light Brigade?

lightbrigade1.jpg

It sounds cool, and I see it's getting a hardcover release from Dark Horse at the end of the month. I'm really becoming a big fan of Tomasi, with his work Batman and Robin and Green Lantern Corps. I'm going to C2E2 next month and I thought this would be a cool book to get signed.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
1. David Aja, Hawkeye #3
2. Morgan Jeske, Zero #4
3. Wes Craig, Deadly Class #1
4. Tradd Moore, All-New Ghost Rider #1

Needs some of that amazing car chase from Stumptown Vol 2.

The climax to this sequence was so brilliant. Giant, two-page spread with only three colors and super spare, yet as epic as it could ever be.

ReiGun

Special Birthday Edition of THE LIST

Action Comics #29
Batman Superman Annual #1
Earth 2 #21
Forever Evil #6
Green Arrow #29
Captain America #18
Magneto #1
She-Hulk #2

I think I have to get over my issues being perfect, too many times there's little dings or creases. I think it's only because of the price they charge but they don't really hold value anyhow so I should just get over it. There's probably little to any price difference in the long run.

I am the same way. Dings and creases and wear in the edges bothers me. I've learned that with Marvel books, you are fighting a losing battle. The paper is so poor and thin that you just are not going to get a perfect page. It's one of the main reasons I don't buy their books in print. Not because I expect my books to increase in value, mind, just because it drives me nuts.

Books from Marvel and DC will almost always lose value regardless. Big exceptions being things like nu52 Batman #1 first print, etc, because Snyder's run has become highly loved and regarded, beyond perhaps what might have been expected because he wasn't a big name writer going into it. But generally? Collecting big two books should be done for the love.

Image and smaller press books, however, can increase in value. That is still the exception and not the rule, but it will happen more often with indie books. For example, first prints of early issues of Rachel Rising, Day Men, Peter Panzerfaust, and Saga fetch good money. But 3 out of 4 of those have been optioned for film or TV and that's the reason in their case. A book like Saga was just such an astronomical hit that sheer demand lead to an increased value of early first print issues.

tim1138

It's like Quitely is one of the best in the medium or something. Crazy how that works.

Last month I picked up Trillium #6, Pariah #1, and Serenity #2. Both were great. Pariah really has my interest, adding it to my sub-list at my comic shop. ! I was going to get Tomb Raider but I still haven't beaten the game--figured I'd wait on that one for now. Can't even wait for Trillium #7 this month though--it's getting intense

19082295.jpg

This month for me:

Trillium #7
Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #2
Pariah #2
Tomb Raider #1-2

tim1138

Quitely is the only reason I'm even paying attention to Jupiter's Legacy. If it was just Millar and someone else, I wouldn't give two shits.

Not even the siren song of Quitely can convince me to give money to Mark Millar. Is that releasing on anything close to a regular schedule?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
This is Mark Millar's greatest revenge against Grant. Taking his best partner on some shit story that never comes out so he can't finish that Watchmen issue of Multiversity

I wonder if Morrison ever plays the "remember when we made All-Star Superman together, and Flex Mentallo, and Batman and Robin, and new X-men" card when trying to ply him from Millar's rapey hands.

tim1138

This is Mark Millar's greatest revenge against Grant. Taking his best partner on some shit story that never comes out so he can't finish that Watchmen issue of Multiversity

Ugh, it's almost heartbreaking, Blue Beetle and the Question look so damn good on those pages.

What comes first, Multiversity or Wonder Woman: the Trial of Diana Prince? I talked to Paquette at a con last September and he said he'd get the art done for a 2014 release if it killed him, but there hasn't exactly been any recent news about it.

Just finished Six Gun Gorilla. It was a cool story and I'm glad I read it but chalk it up to the incredible amount of hype in these forums and on Twitter to diminish its impact. Would have been better experienced month to month like Maq and Acid did.

tim1138

Just finished Six Gun Gorilla. It was a cool story and I'm glad I read it but chalk it up to the incredible amount of hype in these forums and on Twitter to diminish its impact. Would have been better experienced month to month like Maq and Acid did.

Yep. It was a good read, but had no chance of living up to the hype.

Also, spent the day, redoing my setup. Was running out of shelf space so we bought another bookshelf. not final placement of stuff but we like it. Had to keep a space between them for an electrical outlet.

Dram

Supergirl's uniform looks so strange. Why are her arms completely covered, but her legs are left bare?

The list the story needs.

Veil 1

Action Comics 29
Batman Superman Annual 1
Detective Comics 29
Forever Evil 6
Forever Evil Arkham War 6
Green Arrow 29
Phantom Stranger 17

Revival 18
Velvet 4

where did you get those shelves?

want.

Value City Furniture on left. Walmart on right.

I am the same way. Dings and creases and wear in the edges bothers me. I've learned that with Marvel books, you are fighting a losing battle. The paper is so poor and thin that you just are not going to get a perfect page. It's one of the main reasons I don't buy their books in print. Not because I expect my books to increase in value, mind, just because it drives me nuts.

Books from Marvel and DC will almost always lose value regardless. Big exceptions being things like nu52 Batman #1 first print, etc, because Snyder's run has become highly loved and regarded, beyond perhaps what might have been expected because he wasn't a big name writer going into it. But generally? Collecting big two books should be done for the love.

Image and smaller press books, however, can increase in value. That is still the exception and not the rule, but it will happen more often with indie books. For example, first prints of early issues of Rachel Rising, Day Men, Peter Panzerfaust, and Saga fetch good money. But 3 out of 4 of those have been optioned for film or TV and that's the reason in their case. A book like Saga was just such an astronomical hit that sheer demand lead to an increased value of early first print issues.

It's not so much gaining as it is retaining a certain amount... The reason I collect thing is full stop my personal enjoyment first. I probably have well over 1,000 video games I've collected but it's always been first that I enjoy them and want to play them. The conflict with comic books is they're a huge money sink and almost guaranteed to lose most of it's value. I don't dislike getting them but it seems weird buying them day one for $3.99 or whatever and almost guaranteed to lose all value (similar to $60 games).

Also, the paper is poor, especially on Marvel that I buy the most and so they always have little blemishes and most I don't notice until later. When I finished X-force #1, I noticed that the bottom right corner was creased, on X-Factor #3 there was a crease near the spine that went through the pages, etc.. I like to keep my things in good shape but I also like to share them and I'm afraid they'll easily fall apart. I wouldn't mind this for the $2 or so an issue I buy things for on ebay or what I prefer most is the hardcovers and omnibuses and they have the added value (while ironically much cheaper in the long run) to be able to be passed around. I love letting other people enjoy books and such I collect, it's one of my favorite things. I have a large library of books for that reason and so it's a hard decision between not waiting and also feeling to have some power since storylines and other things I assume are decided on the single issue level and mostly not on the "collections" level well after a run has been created. I want it to be the new stories as they unfold but also prefer hardback collections. :( I'm starting to get a little better with marvel since print and digital are the same price so I can just pretend I'm buying the digital copy and I get this free piece of paper. Maybe I'm crazy. :(

Just feels like a poor use of money when hardbacks are cheaper and I enjoy them more but then I'm also not supporting my local comic shop since I don't want to pay list. :( I like using my money as efficiently as possible to get the most stuff I like with an amount of money.

Yep. It was a good read, but had no chance of living up to the hype.

It was amazing month-to-month. Plus the books are lovely objects. Great covers, great paper.

Still, it surprises me to hear these responses to the story. I think the turns it takes, the creatures and world(s) you encounter, the beautiful messages and themes.. I'd expect it would be incredible to experience all this regardless of the general hype that came before.

Then again, it was exhilarating to feel I was reading something awesome and original as is was being created. And the fact that so few others were along for the ride was as frustrating as is was exciting.

It was amazing month-to-month. Plus the books are lovely objects. Great covers, great paper.

Still, it surprises me to hear these responses to the story. I think the turns it takes, the creatures and world(s) you encounter, the beautiful messages and themes.. I'd expect it would be incredible to experience all this regardless of the general hype that came before.

Then again, it was exhilarating to feel I was reading something awesome and original as is was being created. And the fact that so few others were along for the ride was as frustrating as is was exciting.

I just feel the commentary the book delivers is something, we as comic readers have already thought about. It's why we read comics in the first place. I didn't need that story to get the message, it was already in my head. It's was delivered very cleverly though.

Needs some of that amazing car chase from Stumptown Vol 2.

The climax to this sequence was so brilliant. Giant, two-page spread with only three colors and super spare, yet as epic as it could ever be.
Dan knows what's up. That list is nice and all, but Stumptown had one of the best car chases of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Also, looking at that JLCanada cover, J'onn needs to start wearing blonde hair if he's gonna hang with that crew.

tim1138

Like I said in my earlier post, it was well written and an interesting world, but the actual plot was fairly predictable and nothing that hasn't been done before. No one is saying it was bad just that it wasn't OMG HYPE.

I just feel the commentary the book delivers is something, we as comic readers have already thought about. It's why we read comics in the first place. I didn't need that story to get the message, it was already in my head. It's was delivered very cleverly though.

I guess you're talking about this commentary/message:

What happens in a world without fiction? The story explores what becomes of a world that turns away from creativity and instead prioritizes immediate stimulation. In our world reality TV replaces drama. Talk shows replace soap operas. This is our potential future.

But the series speaks to more than that, like:

What is the point in making ourselves vulnerable to romantic pain? And once we've experienced rejection and pain, what happens if we refuse to take responsibility for it? What if we allow it to outshine the beauty of what came before? And Then how do we find our way out of that dark place?

What does it mean to really mature beyond thinking of yourself as the centre of the world and start to see yourself as a part of it?

I think Six Gun Gorilla speaks to maturity. As a society and as individuals. The way these themes weave into this cool world and how these messages are delivered through these rad characters and events is an achievement.

I guess you're talking about this commentary/message:

What happens in a world without fiction? The story explores what becomes of a world that turns away from creativity and instead prioritizes immediate stimulation. In our world reality TV replaces drama. Talk shows replace soap operas. This is our potential future.

But the series speaks to more than that, like:

What is the point in making ourselves vulnerable to romantic pain? And once we've experienced rejection and pain, what happens if we refuse to take responsibility for it? What if we allow it to outshine the beauty of what came before? And Then how do we find our way out of that dark place?

What does it mean to really mature beyond thinking of yourself as the centre of the world and start to see yourself as a part of it?

I think Six Gun Gorilla speaks to maturity. As a society and as individuals. The way these themes weave into this cool world and how these messages are delivered through these rad characters and events is an achievement.

The first theme, the world without fiction is the only theme that is present with the times. The rest of the themes you mentioned are timeless, but done to death in the realm if fiction. The commentary works both ways when you think about it. The themes of love, heartbreak, maturity have been done to death in fiction, that's why people are turning to reality TV and talk shows to experience them. Thus eliminating "fiction" in the process. Thats why a talking badass gorilla is what the story needs. It needs imagination.

The first theme, the world without fiction is the only theme that is present with the times. The rest of the themes you mentioned are timeless, but done to death in the realm if fiction. The commentary works both ways when you think about it. The themes of love, heartbreak, maturity have been done to death in fiction, that's why people are turning to reality TV and talk shows to experience them. Thus eliminating "fiction" in the process. Thats why a talking badass gorilla is what the story needs. It needs imagination.

Um, hmmm. What?

I don't really understand the emphasis I'm hearing on it lacking originality. Even assuming that it lacks originality and is predictable.. Fair enough, some might find it to be .. So what? As you imply, every story that can be told has been. Storytelling and stories themselves were all sorted out by the Greeks. Everything else has been a copy. You read a bunch of Batman and cape stuff that is a constant rehash of everything before. Not to fight, Korupt, but I genuinely don't understand the criticism. Regardless of Six Gun Gorilla dealing with themes that have been explore before, it weaves these specific themes together and delivers their messages in tandem. And does a beautiful job of it.

Um, hmmm. What?

I don't really understand the emphasis I'm hearing on it lacking originality. Even assuming that it lacks originality and is predictable.. Fair enough, some might find it to be .. So what? As you imply, every story that can be told has been. Storytelling and stories themselves were all sorted out by the Greeks. Everything else has been a copy. You read a bunch of Batman and cape stuff that is a constant rehash of everything before. Not to fight, Korupt, but I genuinely don't understand the criticism. Regardless of Six Gun Gorilla dealing with themes that have been explore before, it weaves these specific themes together and delivers their messages in tandem. And does a beautiful job of it.

????? Why the hostility?

What I said wasn't a criticism at all. I think the authors overall message was one of imagination in fiction. Something not grounded in reality. I think the authors message is the very reason I read cape books. I think the whole story's message comes down to the one line that the Gorilla says when the bounty hunter ask who he is and he said "whatever the damn story needs." I said it was a cool story and I'm glad I read it. Once again, I don't get the hostility.

Uthred

Drifted away from american comics around the time Fear Itself was coming out. Interested in getting back in but Im wondering is it worth it to backtrack and catch up or would I be better off just jumping in? If you had to list the top ten books of the last year or two what would they be?

Has anyone read Peter Tomasi's Light Brigade?

lightbrigade1.jpg

It sounds cool, and I see it's getting a hardcover release from Dark Horse at the end of the month. I'm really becoming a big fan of Tomasi, with his work Batman and Robin and Green Lantern Corps. I'm going to C2E2 next month and I thought this would be a cool book to get signed.

I read it when it first came out and really enjoyed it, its a nice mix of world war 2 war story and some cool occult stuff. If I had to compare it to something then it feels similar to the better Hellboy stuff.

tim1138

tumblr_inline_n1tcqt4DmW1qbujox.jpg

Here's an updated version of the Justice League United cover with the new female Cree character

Seriously, how good does McKone's work look on this cover?

Filthy Slug

Warren Ellis writes some incredible pastiches and integrates so many literary and comic icons/themes in Planetary, but best of all, he has Elijah Snow kicking Dracula's
dick off.
. Still wish this was a Vertigo title, but damn is it good.

tumblr_inline_n1tcqt4DmW1qbujox.jpg

Here's an updated version of the Justice League United cover with the new female Cree character

Seriously, how good does McKone's work look on this cover?

Easily the most anticipated comic coming up. I love everyone on this team, and Lemire/McKone? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Excited to find out more about the new Cree hero too.

tim1138

Easily the most anticipated comic coming up. I love everyone on this team, and Lemire/McKone? Yes. Yes. Yes.

Excited to find out more about the new Cree hero too.

I love that Lemire surveyed schools and children to help come up with her powers. I agree, this is probably my most anticipated upcoming book.

Also, it's good to see you popping in again, it's been awhile.

It sounded like you were complaining that the story themes were tired and played out. And with the last sentence I thought you were suggesting that the plot lacked imagination. Guess I misunderstood?

Anyway, I'm glad that you (and others around these parts) seem to have enjoyed it to greater and lesser degrees.

It sounded like you were complaining that the story themes were tired and played out. And with the last sentence I thought you were suggesting that the plot lacked imagination. Guess I misunderstood?

Anyway, I'm glad that you (and others around these parts) seem to have enjoyed it to greater and lesser degrees.

I think the author to certain degree was saying the same thing. While the story centers around Blue, and his themes of love, heartbreak, and maturity, I still think the main character of the book is SGG. Hence the title of the book.

I will say that this conversation has made me appreciate the book a bit more as I have analyzed it more than I would have normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom