• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| March 2014. Longshot and Domino are hogging all the four-leaf clovers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I'm digging the miracleman re-releases. The Warsmiths story was difficult to follow with their odd language.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
It's disappointing, occasionally there will be a good value for a deluxe edition, but now it's rare. They raised the price for the daredevil waid ohc too between volumes, 34.99 for the first and then 39.99 for the second.

I just finished reading the first Daredeivil OHC and ordered the second--the only reason I can see for an increase in price would be an increase in paper quality. The quality of the first is bad, thin pages and glue binding. I wonder if anybody with the second OHC can chime in about the quality of the pages/binding?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
You know what, I sort of hope Batman & Robin never comes back. The current stories are amazing.

I almost pounced half-way through that sentence...phew. Yeah, the book found its footing once Damian died, and all of the post-death stories have been excellent. When a new Robin gets introduced, it really should be in this book, though--Tomasi and Gleason have earned it.

Owzers

I just finished reading the first Daredeivil OHC and ordered the second--the only reason I can see for an increase in price would be an increase in paper quality. The quality of the first is bad, thin pages and glue binding. I wonder if anybody with the second OHC can chime in about the quality of the pages/binding?

i have both, though i only opened the second one. Bindings look the same, page thickness of vol 2 is fairly poor.

IrishNinja

there is so much wrong with that list. How you going to list Skaar before Hiro?

i forget which thread, but i wanna say you, Manmademan & others were establishing the levels of marvel cosmic, from tribunal on down..like none of those names are in this either, just dudes that can barely affect things on their own plane/dimension. i can't even say "maybe cosmic didn't count here" cause there's odin, galactus etc.

How come no mention of the Captain Marvel relaunch out March 12?

Arp7sbe.jpg

I said I was excited for it last month because I liked the one they cancelled.

KidDork

How DOES one break into the industry? I'm assumin you got to know peeps.

To get into DC or Marvel, either do an indy comic that gets a lot of critical buzz and/or sells enough to make Editorial notice. Or be a notable writer in another field. Or be married to someone already working at Marvel or DC.

Unai

Guys, I just read Green Lantern #20. My God, what an epic end! I'm speechless. If the book had ended there the Green Lanterns would still be the best super hero book to me.

Guys I want to read more Wonder Woman stories. What are the best WW trades I can get?

Before you even THINK about doing anything else make sure you read the currents series starting from #1 all the way to the most recent issue plus the 0 issue. You can get the trades at Amazon or (maybe) at your local library: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s&field-keywords=Brian+Azzarello+Wonder+Woman

Next read all of this http://www.amazon.com/Wonder-Woman-Comic-George-Perez/lm/R1QEXVUJEVPP7N

then check out Gail Simone's run on the book: http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Wonder.../lm/R2387Z3HY6785X/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt_2

At this point you will have read all of Wonder Woman's finest stories

Thank me later :)

SSJLuffy

I know this is the only thing I ever talk about on Comics GAF, but I can't stress my love for The Walking Dead enough. Issues 34 and 35 have been nothing short of awesome and the Prison/Woodbury arc is only getting better. I've been reading this series insanely slow for the past few months, but I think it may be time that I binge read... I'll probably regret catching up when I do though, waiting monthly is gonna be a pain.

I'm not surprised. DC hates finished stories that they can't add onto for additional milking. Before Watchmen is evidence of that. No wonder their canon is such a mess.

Honestly I didn't like what Geoff did to the GL mythos so i'm happy DC tore that shit up

IMO, he should have ended his run before The New 52 started. Having his story continue into the reboot was just awkward.

So I just read Batman Annual #1 and am FURIOUS at Snyder for shitting all over Bruce Timm and Paul Dini's handwork at making Mr.Freeze an A-tier character. According to Snyder it turns out that
Nora isn't really Mr.Freeze's wife but rather some lady that was cryogenically frozen in the 1940s that Mr.Freeze has been obsessing over this whole time. He's basically a friendzone'd gaffer in love with a girl that doesn't even know him.
Shame on you Snyder. Liefeld was right to call you out.

Slayven

i forget which thread, but i wanna say you, Manmademan & others were establishing the levels of marvel cosmic, from tribunal on down..like none of those names are in this either, just dudes that can barely affect things on their own plane/dimension. i can't even say "maybe cosmic didn't count here" cause there's odin, galactus etc.

yeah that is why you got quantify it better, there is a lot of nuance to most powerful.

Loona

If anything, Johns needs to write a Shazam series. The best part of JL was those backups.

From what I saw of the New 52 Shazam under him, he shat all over what made the character work.

The animated "Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam" does a brilliant job of establishing Billy Batson as a character in a modern setting, yet the reboot makes him an unsympathetic mercenary prick - that's John Constantine's job in a bad day, now that he interacts more with the rest of DC.

From what I saw of the New 52 Shazam under him, he shat all over what made the character work.

The animated "Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam" does a brilliant job of establishing Billy Batson as a character in a modern setting, yet the reboot makes him an unsympathetic mercenary prick - that's John Constantine's job in a bad day, now that he interacts more with the rest of DC.
Shazam ain't getting a book. You can't do a weekly with him. We probably get a Power Ring series or Owlman depending how Forever Evil ends.

I liked the New 52 version of Billy. Yeah, he starts out in a rougher place, but by the end of the origin you see that he is still the same good hearted kid and his connection to his family feels earned rather than expected.

Filthy Slug

OK, Zero is great. The 3rd was as good as the second.

Right? And you were all like "man, that one page showing the kids playing in a tree and being sweetly morbid was bad" and then you hit that part in three and... Issue 4 is probably the most intense fight I've read through in comics outside of Aaron's Punisher Max books.

Messi

Right? And you were all like "man, that one page showing the kids playing in a tree and being sweetly morbid was bad" and then you hit that part in three and... Issue 4 is probably the most intense fight I've read through in comics outside of Aaron's Punisher Max books.

Issue 3 man...

So iI finished the last two issues. I don't even know where they are going or what I just read. I just know I dug it. Issues 2 and 3 were spectacular. Will we see any more of the art from those issues going forward?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Oooohhhhhh man. Just started The Black Beetle. This is god-tier stuff. I knew at least the art would be incredible, but EVERYTHING about it is amazing. Francavilla is the man.

Also, I finished Miller's Martha Washington yesterday. I loved it from start to finish. Most of the reviews I'd read seemed to say that the quality drops off as the book progresses since it was written over such a long period of time and Miller-insanity starts to take over a bit, but maybe I'm just not too bothered by Miller's descent into madness, because I enjoyed the last stories as much as the first ones.
I'd highly recommend picking up the paperback collection.

And now I'm even more excited for Big Damn Sin City to come out in June. It's one of the few famous Miller books I haven't read yet, and everything else I've read by him I've absolutely loved, so I'm very much looking forward to picking it up.

Owzers

I cancelled my Marvel Unlimited sub before it renews.

i'll resubscribe when:

- comics are in a better resolution to get closer to my comixology superior reading format.

- i finish my backlog of print comics

- there is a sale so i'm not paying $70/year which is too much for 14 comics a week in a slightly good reading format on ios ( i don't think they ever fixed their android app so that comics aren't just 2/3rds of the screen)

Tizoc

Just quoting one of my fav. comic book moments

Rorschach: I heard a joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life is harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

noquarter

I'm going to try to keep more up with these threads, don't read as fast as I want to be able to.

Picked up Deadly Class 1 and 2 the other night, just saw they had 1 and 2 and wanted to read something new. Really enjoyed the art in the serires, the writing is alright as well. The layout and colors in issue one really look good though. Series seems pretty fun and looking forward to 3, guess this week?

Also, decided that instead of getting big on current comics, going to collect some stuff I wanted to when I was younger, but broke. Started an Amazing Spiderman collection. Been getting some silver age stuff and it has been pretty fun to read. Never read any of the Masterpiece collections or anything, so most anything prior to 320 or so is new to me. Think so far, my favorite issue has been 41, just because of the way it is opened, saying it trusts the reader to not need action right away and goes straight to Aunt May.
7d2fafcfa3b34429ecee9d05e38c2621_m.jpg

Filthy Slug

Has anyone gotten the newer sandman comics? Are they any good? I think a new one comes out this month IIRC.

The first and only Overture issue released was damn good, but it was really just set-up and a bunch of "hey, here's Destiny, and oh, there's Death, and hey, motherfucking Corinthian!" Beautiful art and a cool reveal at the end, but the next one is coming out whothefuckknowswhen. This may be a multi-year 6 issue series.

The first and only Overture issue released was damn good, but it was really just set-up and a bunch of "hey, here's Destiny, and oh, there's Death, and hey, motherfucking Corinthian!" Beautiful art and a cool reveal at the end, but the next one is coming out whothefuckknowswhen. This may be a multi-year 6 issue series.

There has only been one lol

Lol ah, ok. A kid I haven't seen in a while told me about it and he wasn't sure when they were released but they were going to be spread out. I guess that was an understatement. I'll have to see if the first is still available.

1. David Aja, Hawkeye #3
2. Morgan Jeske, Zero #4
3. Wes Craig, Deadly Class #1
4. Tradd Moore, All-New Ghost Rider #1

What a wonderful dang post. I love comics.

I cancelled my Marvel Unlimited sub before it renews.

i'll resubscribe when:

- comics are in a better resolution to get closer to my comixology superior reading format.

- i finish my backlog of print comics

- there is a sale so i'm not paying $70/year which is too much for 14 comics a week in a slightly good reading format on ios ( i don't think they ever fixed their android app so that comics aren't just 2/3rds of the screen)

Agree with all these points. It's a solid idea, but until it's up to snuff on my Retina, no doy le gracias, Señor Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom