• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Holy shit I had no idea that Remender worked on Dead Space, and was the lead writer of Bulletstorm...

Holy dicktits, you must not have read Fear Agent. That game is mad Remender-y. Shame about that cliffhanger ending, though.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Holy dicktits, you must not have read Fear Agent. That game is mad Remender-y. Shame about that cliffhanger ending, though.

Maybe I need to replay Dead Space (and finish it this time, too). I can't recall any of the similarities. I don't really remember much of the story at all though. It's been a while. Haha

Holy shit I had no idea that Remender worked on Dead Space, and was the lead writer of Bulletstorm...

Bulletstorm has plenty of Remender trademarks

-Daddy issues(of a sort)
-Alcoholism
-Characters who are self-aware about their genre staples and cliches ("ah, there's that labored hostility. Little forced, just barely masking your lust, mademoiselle" "Holy Deus Ex Machina!" etc)
-Plants big hooks early on that will have TERRIBLE consequences for the characters later
-Impeccably staged set pieces
-Surprisingly heartfelt under its vulgarity and violence
-Supporting cast members die in shocking ways

Only thing we didn't get was an alternate dimension

edit: oh and EVIL VILLAIN MONOLOGUES. Rick loves a good bad guy rant, especially when he's currently kicking the good guy's ass

Bulletstorm has plenty of Remender trademarks

-Daddy issues(of a sort)
-Alcoholism
-Characters who are self-aware about their genre staples and cliches ("ah, there's that labored hostility. Little forced, just barely masking your lust, mademoiselle" "Holy Deus Ex Machina!" etc)
-Plants big hooks early on that will have TERRIBLE consequences for the characters later
-Impeccably staged set pieces
-Surprisingly heartfelt under its vulgarity and violence
-Supporting cast members die in shocking ways

Only thing we didn't get was an alternate dimension

Yea I am mostly new to Remender's stuff but Fear Agent is on my list. I just didn'wexpect him to write a game, but now it's all very clear.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Maybe I need to replay Dead Space (and finish it this time, too). I can't recall any of the similarities. I don't really remember much of the story at all though. It's been a while. Haha

Nah, that was only in reference to Bulletstorm. But yes, you should play that. Guiding sniper bullets are the best fucking thing.

Zombine

Banned
Nah, that was only in reference to Bulletstorm. But yes, you should play that. Guiding sniper bullets are the best fucking thing.

Selling that game was one of the biggest mistakes I have made. At that time I couldn't help it though. I was jobless and pressed for cash. I think it's time to redeem myself and buy it again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Read Batman 33 the other day, what an ending. Zero Year was the bomb. Also bought the digital version of Seconds today, I'll be reading it soon.

Filthy Slug

I don't think it is really fair to put a 100+ page book up against a 20 page single issues.

Although maybe we should add a book of the month category.

Glad I'm not alone in voting for this
I amusually forget to vote due to my calendar retardation, but i usually mean to send Spike a PM with three votes for Zero.
Just read Black Science. What a cliffhanger.
literally

New Avengers
i6P2EGLjoNGyQ.png

MG310

A vote for Seconds is a vote for freedom.
I don't actually vote because I never actually get around to reading most things in the month they come out

I could vote for Cyclops #3. But then again that's the only comic I got this month.

Speaking of, I was a bit disappointed with it. Only 20 pages and it all felt a little rushed. It finally answered a few questions regarding
Scott's father's sickness
(which I sort of guessed already) but otherwise I was a little underwhelmed. Although I am pretty intrigued
at their new location/situation
. Their family bonding moments were great though.

Question regarding it all though,
Where is all this Vulcan/Corsair's death/revival stuff located?
Where can I read about that?

7/10

Detective Comics Annual 3 was fantastic. The creative team crafted a excellent tie-in to the Icarus storyline. The real star though was some Batman characterization that reminds you why he is awesome.

Messi

Well, I will just echo what most of you said. Zero Year was incredible. The final issue lived up to all the hype here. Capullo continues to knock it out of the park. I hope he stays for Snyders entire run. As for Snyder you can just tell he loves writing batman and you can feel his love for him. All the little winks and nods were great. Riddler was really good. As far as I am concerned this is my batman origin. Fuck. That was awesome.

The ending
was so incredibly bittersweet. I had a lump in my throat looking at the future Bruce could have had.

The smile Batman has at the end was a nice touch though.

Alright, so I heard from my friend that (Bendis GOTG spoilers)
Flash is straight up left behind on a planet by the Guardians? Really? He doesn't even get the dignity of leaving or anything?

Does Bendis just hate the character or something?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I just started Original Sin, and it's great so far (only one issue in, though), but as a Moon Knight fan his appearance here strikes me as weird. It's running concurrently with Ellis' book, but it's clearly pre-2014 Moon Knight. So I have no idea where the hell it falls in his canon. :lol

Also it's going to be fun to see how the Punisher/Dr. Strange pairing works.

Dalek

Alright, so I heard from my friend that (Bendis GOTG spoilers)
Flash is straight up left behind on a planet by the Guardians? Really? He doesn't even get the dignity of leaving or anything?

Does Bendis just hate the character or something?

Bendis to me has always been someone who is the epitome of hit or miss. For All New X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man and his Daredevil run, he's on the top of his game. GOTG just seems wrong in his hands. It's almost as of he has no interest in the series whatsoever and only gives it the minimum required participation. I think of all the books he currently writes, this is the one that he gives the least thought to. I wish they'd put the book back in Dan Abbetts hands. I doubt Bendis would be heartbroken.

Indie books read.

The Wake was a very satisfying ending to the story. With that said, the first arc was very memorable and that fifth issue hit you with the huge surprise. The next 5 I didn't personally connect with the best. I think I need a reread of the whole story to thoroughly enjoy.

Black Science was awesome....again. I still don't think Grant is dead. My god, the art. Can't wait to see his Batman next month.

Outcast 2 was good. I really like this book so far. Lots of mystery.

Messi

Batman and Robin this month was good. Things are building nicely to a massive showdown. It's gonna be awesome. Love getting to see Gleason drawing all these characters. Love his
Batgirl
. But truth be told Bruce's plan is pretty shit thus far lol.

Loooool I Freeza Spoil tagged that shit for a few mins.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Bendis to me has always been someone who is the epitome of hit or miss. For All New X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man and his Daredevil run, he's on the top of his game. GOTG just seems wrong in his hands. It's almost as of he has no interest in the series whatsoever and only gives it the minimum required participation. I think of all the books he currently writes, this is the one that he gives the least thought to. I wish they'd put the book back in Dan Abbetts hands. I doubt Bendis would be heartbroken.

I wouldn't be surprised if Abnett gets it back sooner or later.

I've felt for a while now the only reason marvel gave GOTG to Bendis was for him to keep the status quo in that book to match the movie (and do his normal act of having nothing happen with witty dialogue). Unlike a lot of other marvel movie properties GOTG is so obscure in the grand scheme of things I could see disney/marvel wanting the comic to seem like the movie in overall tone in case possible movie goers picked the book up leading up to seeing the movie.

Marvel has been pretty good lately letting the writers write their story in spite of movie build up. However, considering GOTG is a movie about a bunch of c (maybe d) listers characters it makes sense to have one message in case people want to see what it will be about.

New Avengers
It's gonna feel so fucking good when T'Challa kills Namor anyway. BECAUSE THIS HAD DAMN SURE BETTER HAPPEN HICKMAN

Yeah but if T'challa killed Namor who would blow the next planet up? Also on another note I wonder how this all fits in with the fact BP and Namor actually watched most of this go down a few hours prior to it actually happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom