• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read it yet, but if anyone wants my digital code for Guardians of the Galaxy 100th Anniversary just quote me and I'll send it to you.

Guys..... Guys.... I spent $48 on comics today.

HALP.

But I think most of my pull list came out today. Still, time to cut down by another ten or so books, I guess.

Cheska

Haven't read it yet, but if anyone wants my digital code for Guardians of the Galaxy 100th Anniversary just quote me and I'll send it to you.

EDIT: Whoopsies, too late!

Going to start buying all my Marvel comics digitally now using eBay. Half price for the comics means double the amount! :D

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Guys..... Guys.... I spent $48 on comics today.

HALP.

But I think most of my pull list came out today. Still, time to cut down by another ten or so books, I guess.

Girlfriend and I spent about $50-$60 a week on comics. We actually narrowed our list a lot recently, so it was even more a few months ago.

Splatt

So sandman wins all the things. Gaiman/Williams forever and ever 100 years

FACEBOOK-LIKE_2676878b.jpg

So. Out of morbid curiousity I glanced through New Avengers #21 due in part to the previews and what people are saying here.

I'd have probably dropped the book if I was pulling it. Haha. Fuck all those characters.

I could never look at any of them as heroes ever again.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
that's probably when it'll be finished

and probably when the last issue of Battlechasers releases

alongside the final installment of Hawkeye
It'll be worth the wait. The dream story from endless nights is one of my favorites in the whole shebang so I'm super excited to see the next issue.

dan2026

So. Out of morbid curiousity I glanced through New Avengers #21 due in part to the previews and what people are saying here.

I'd have probably dropped the book if I was pulling it. Haha. Fuck all those characters.

I could never look at any of them as heroes ever again.

Somebody's got to make the hard choices man.

Somebody's got to make the hard choices man.

It's just a level of grimdark I don't particularly want from my comics. I want superheroes. The ones who find a better way. Who've dealt with issues and problems far more dire than what I read glancing through that book. I don't know what they've done before but they seemed hell bent on
killing the other team
and
destroying that world than finding a different solution that didn't include what, specicide?

Also, I read somewhere that the other team is supposed to represent the Justice League. Is this Hickman saying that Marvel's characters would straight merc the JL like it was nothing?

dan2026

It's just a level of grimdark I don't particularly want from my comics. I want superheroes. The ones who find a better way. Who've dealt with issues and problems far more dire than what I read glancing through that book. I don't know what they've done before but they seemed hell bent on
killing the other team
and
destroying that world than finding a different solution that didn't include what, specicide?

Also, I read somewhere that the other team is supposed to represent the Justice League. Is this Hickman saying that Marvel's characters would straight merc the JL like it was nothing?
I do kind of agree with you in a way. Its the same reason I hate when they try and make Superman grimdark.

But in this situation I dont mind it. Perhaps its just that it has been written well.

And to be fair the only one who could bring himself to press the switch was Namor.
Who is at best an anti hero and has been cast as a villain more often than not.

killing the other team
and

When did you bail? I think they've done a pretty good job throughout the whole series of trying to find other solutions.

When did you bail? I think they've done a pretty good job throughout the whole series of trying to find other solutions.

I never read it. This was just me picking it up for the first time so I have no idea what else they've done. This was purely the viewpoint of someone with no information outside of the conversations here and the solicits.

I have a similar aversion to Zatanna because of what she did in Identity Crisis, for example. Certain actions are, in my opinion, irredeemable and aren't what I am looking for in the majority of my superhero books.

I have a similar aversion to Zatanna because of what she did in Identity Crisis, for example. Certain actions are, in my opinion, irredeemable and aren't what I am looking for in the majority of my superhero books.

D-did you read Bloodspell?

FWIW I mostly agree with what you're getting at. For the most part, I much prefer lighthearted books. Outside of Remender's stuff I don't really read a lot of serious stuff.

FUUUUUUU

cheapgraphicnovels sent me the wrong order

Was so pumped to read some goddamn Avengers and Black Widow, open the box, and BAM fuckin' transformers looking me in the face.

Worst feeling.

Sadist

Hahahahaha I bailed out at such an amazing time.
Indeed. Dropped. What the hell man. For every fun book the guy writes there is always some steaming pile of shit coming our way soon enough.

killing the other team
and

Well they are Superheroes, but heroes with flaws. I always liked that. Squeeky clean heroes aren't any fun.

As for the story...
It's the newest incarnation of the Iluminati, a group known for making the decisions nobody wants to take. Ever since the first issue (after kicking Cap from the team) they've been franticly trying to research their options, but apparently this is the only option. they don't want to. Panther, Reed, Tony, Hank, Bruce... they don't want to kill a World. Namor would. The not-Justice League had the same idea in the end.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
FUUUUUUU

Was so pumped to read some goddamn Avengers and Black Widow, open the box, and BAM fuckin' transformers looking me in the face.

Worst feeling.

Ouch. Are they going to let you keep Transformers at least?

FUUUUUUU

Worst feeling.

Which book was it? Cause More Than Meets The Eye is awesome.

Sucks that you didn't get your books though

D-did you read Bloodspell?

FWIW I mostly agree with what you're getting at. For the most part, I much prefer lighthearted books. Outside of Remender's stuff I don't really read a lot of serious stuff.

I haven't read Bloodspell, yet, no. I'm quite fond of Black Canary so I will at some point.

Well they are Superheroes, but heroes with flaws. I always liked that. Squeeky clean heroes aren't any fun.

As for the story...
It's the newest incarnation of the Iluminati, a group known for making the decisions nobody wants to take. Ever since the first issue (after kicking Cap from the team) they've been franticly trying to research their options, but apparently this is the only option. they don't want to. Panther, Reed, Tony, Hank, Bruce... they don't want to kill a World. Namor would. The not-Justice League had the same idea in the end.

Thanks for the fill in.

Ouch. Are they going to let you keep Transformers at least?

No idea, waiting to hear back from them. Don't mind sending it back but I have a feeling my order is currently on its way to Alaska where this one was supposed to go.

Which book was it? Cause More Than Meets The Eye is awesome.

Sucks that you didn't get your books though

Some volumes of Transformers: Regeneration, Rat Queens and some other stuff that I already have.

Sadness...was hoping to read up GOTG Vol 1 before Friday.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
No idea, waiting to hear back from them. Don't mind sending it back but I have a feeling my order is currently on its way to Alaska where this one was supposed to go.

Some volumes of Transformers: Regeneration, Rat Queens and some other stuff that I already have.

Well, if you get to keep those books, you can feel free to send the books you already had my way. :p

Cheska

How the hell did you guys spend so much money today? What did you pick up? It honestly seemed like a pretty light week to me.

IHaveIce

Banned
So I completed the Giant reading order pic that was often posted here on GAF for cosmic marvel, but how do I continue? Where do I go to after Annihilators Earthfall, I want to stay cosmic, tried Earth events and comics the last days and they just bore me to hell after Annihilation and GotG

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Hawkeye coming in and doing big things.

Also, I have seriously underestimated Doug Mahnke. Justice League was dope.

Zombine

Banned
How the hell did you guys spend so much money today? What did you pick up? It honestly seemed like a pretty light week to me.

Went super hard on Vertigo and Image. Every single book has been stellar so far. Vertigo quarterly is beautiful. Adrift's art was gorgeous and by the time the short story was over it really hit close to home. Everyone needs to check out this book.

Sadness...was hoping to read up GOTG Vol 1 before Friday.
Well, Rat Queens is great at least! Haven't read Regeneration but I saw it was added to the humble bundle so I have a digital copy of the first volume now along with the mountain of other Transformers comics I have.

Would be nice if they let you keep the books at least. You could always sell or giveaway the ones you already own.
So I completed the Giant reading order pic that was often posted here on GAF for cosmic marvel, but how do I continue? Where do I go to after Annihilators Earthfall, I want to stay cosmic, tried Earth events and comics the last days and they just bore me to hell after Annihilation and GotG
You could try out the current Guardians of the Galaxy series. If you aren't into Bendis, you should at least check out issue 14 since tt has backups by Abnett and Lanning that were really good. Guardians of the Galaxy 3000 starts this fall and is going to be written by Abnett so definitely look out for that.

Rocket Raccoon is one issue in and started pretty solid. I hear Nova's been pretty good ever since Duggan took over but I haven't read it myself. Haven't read Star-Lord.

You don't have to read any of these in any specific order.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Went super hard on Vertigo and Image. Every single book has been stellar so far. Vertigo quarterly is beautiful. Adrift's art was gorgeous and by the time the short story was over it really hit close to home. Everyone needs to check out this book.

Vertigo Cyan was so bad I passed on this. Is it more than one good short story?

Batman Eternal #17
Harley Quinn #8
The Wake #10
Black Science #7
Chew Warrior Chicken Poyo #1
East of West #14
Fatale #24
Low #1
Prophet #45
Hawkeye #19
Guardians of the Galaxy #17
Secret Avengers #6
Uncanny Avengers #22
Uncanny X-Men #24

killing the other team
and

Do you read Wonder Woman?

1mwt.jpg

Wow. Bodies #1 was just what I needed. They got me on board for the series. Think Trillium only with dead dudes.

This has me super pumped to get my copy in. So you really liked it?

Can't believe I forgot about Low this week when I ordered! Guess I'll have to pick it up next week. Pretty sure my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen omnibus came in today so I'm going to Crack that open later.

Here's a look at this week's lot:

Shadow Over Innsmouth One Shot
Deep Gravity #1
Bodies #1
Black Science #7
Undertow #6
Baltimore Witch Of Harju #1
Veil #1
Supreme Blue Rose #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom