• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2014. Lots of stores on the way to San Diego sell deodorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messi

Harley #8 was really fun. :D

:(

Wait, that means you
didn't vote for it[/spoilers]? Damn son, you gotta wait until you finish your books before you vote. Harley was good twice this month, especially today.

Is the Black Canary/Green Arrow series worth tracking down ?

Are they reprinting Gail Simones Birds of Prey soon, they have them here and if a reprint isn't coming I'll get some of these. What about her secret six?

Wait, that means you
didn't vote for it[/spoilers]? Damn son, you gotta wait until you finish your books before you vote. Harley was good twice this month, especially today.
XD

Honestly, though, it wouldn't have changed my choices. Image fucking killed it this month.

Secret Six is getting reprinted early next year. No word on BoP

Is that what her pre-SDCC teaser was about, or is this warming up to a new Secret Six series? Please, please, please let it be the latter, because N52 Suicide Squad is no substitute for the greatness that was Secret Six.

PsychBat!

Banned
Jeez I didn't even know Guardians 3000 was a thing. Interesting..... Hopefully its a step to him getting GoTG back

I really hope so, even if it's just Abnett. Bendis' run isn't going anywhere, it's always been aimless. And I bet the reason why Nova (Richard Rider) isn't around anymore will be bullshit. I'm counting on it.

I finally got around to read Trial of Jean Grey, it wasn't fantastic it was just decent stop telling me that it was fantastic.

Wanted to pop in and say that Batman and Robin 33 was pretty great, I liked the Bruce/Clark dynamic and
the forging of the Hellbat was awesome. Forged in the sun by Superman? That's some next level shit

Also, Superman 33 was really touching, I'm enjoying Geoff's work so far.

Messi

XD

Honestly, though, it wouldn't have changed my choices. Image fucking killed it this month.

Is that what her pre-SDCC teaser was about, or is this warming up to a new Secret Six series? Please, please, please let it be the latter, because N52 Suicide Squad is no substitute for the greatness that was Secret Six.

She has all but said she is working in a new Secret Six

Come on, bro. You're joking with me, right bro?

Not at all. It started to annoy me even. I savored Kate issues for that reason.

Wanted to pop in and say that Batman and Robin 33 was pretty great, I liked the Bruce/Clark dynamic and
the forging of the Hellbat was awesome. Forged in the sun by Superman? That's some next level shit

Also, Superman 33 was really touching, I'm enjoying Geoff's work so far.

NEXT LEVEL SHIT. YES.

Bii

You know it'll be 3.99. But in Gail I trust.

Yeah but they abused that joke pretty hard.

Whew, glad I wasn't the only one who grew tired of it.

Someone had asked me for impressions a while back for my acquisitions of the Kotobukiya ArtFX+ statues of Black Widow and Hulk. Let's start with the Hulk. He comes in three separate parts that you piece together (head, torso, lower half) and is very nice and solid. He comes with two stands that are magnetic, so you can place the Hulk on there without him being knocked over so easily. I'm rather impressed with the details and how sturdy it is. I'd recommend it as a buy.

As for Black Widow, well, it fell way below my expectations. It comes in a few separate parts (lower half, upper half, two pistols and two hands) that you have to put together, which takes all of 15 seconds to do. Just like the Hulk, she comes with a magnetic base (just one) but every time I place here on there, she doesn't feel planted enough for me to not worry about her falling over. Since she's a slimmer figure than the Hulk, she does feel a bit more fragile and she has fallen on more than one occasion when my son would bump into the bookcase she's currently on. I wouldn't buy it again if that's what you're wondering, at least not at MSRP.

Now I'm unsure if I'll get the rest of the Avengers given how Black Widow turned out. To be fair, she is probably the slimmest figure of the entire set, so the others might turn out alright. I guess if I feel the need to "complete" the set, I'd get the others once they are released.

1ZMk5Du.jpg

Messi

Speaking of Hawkeye, that Hawkgal trade is out soon. All the best issues of Hawkeye in one book sans the Pizza Dog issue.

Dalek

I wouldn't be surprised if Abnett gets it back sooner or later.

I've felt for a while now the only reason marvel gave GOTG to Bendis was for him to keep the status quo in that book to match the movie (and do his normal act of having nothing happen with witty dialogue). Unlike a lot of other marvel movie properties GOTG is so obscure in the grand scheme of things I could see disney/marvel wanting the comic to seem like the movie in overall tone in case possible movie goers picked the book up leading up to seeing the movie.

Marvel has been pretty good lately letting the writers write their story in spite of movie build up. However, considering GOTG is a movie about a bunch of c (maybe d) listers characters it makes sense to have one message in case people want to see what it will be about.

Yeah but if T'challa killed Namor who would blow the next planet up? Also on another note I wonder how this all fits in with the fact BP and Namor actually watched most of this go down a few hours prior to it actually happening.

Bendis GOTG has totally just been treading water for its entire run. One interesting thing happened recently with the entire team getting separated and kidnapped, and in like one issue, everyone's like "hey we're all back!"

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Bendis GOTG has totally just been treading water for its entire run. One interesting thing happened recently with the entire team getting separated and kidnapped, and in like one issue, everyone's like "hey we're all back!"

Yep that what I mean its like they want to have one message for GOTG across all media leading up to the movie. So they set the comic up to be like the upcoming movie and don't want to rock the boat until like after the dvd's are out. I suspected it when they changed the team's roster to match the movie cast. GOTG under DnA had a massive cast but all of a sudden it was just the characters in the movie on the team.

so is Sunfire
the new captian universe?
or on that level?

idk.....
he might be a cosmic character now. The whole conclusion was rough (like typical Remender) So I was surprised Sunfire survived at all. I know the Axis windup is next but this for the arc while amazing felt inconclusive. I hope they have an issue just to clarify the end results of this last arc

Ok so I'm now up to Marvel's Dark Reign and.....

how the heck do I read this? there's how a whole bunch of different one shots and no main "dark reign" series and I don't know the order, HALP.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ok so I'm now up to Marvel's Dark Reign and.....

how the heck do I read this? there's how a whole bunch of different one shots and no main "dark reign" series and I don't know the order, HALP.

It think that the main story is in Dark Avengers, Avengers and New Avengers. That said almost every Dark Reign crossover is worth reading, especially Spiderman, Deadpool and the Deadpool/Thunderbolts crossover. I think it was more of a new status quo than an ongoing story though. The ending point is Seige FYI.

quickfire13

Neo Member
You're doing good so far! Really, when you are just diving in, you really are best checking out what looks interesting to you to let yourself dabble. Looks like you've got yourself the making of some Damian love. Why not explore more of that? Pick up the Batman and Robin #18 Requiem to round those out then go back and get the rest of New 52 Batman and Robin by Tomasi, as well as the pre New 52 Batman and Robin by Morrison.

A really, really late response by me, but thank you for the encouragement! Thanks for the suggestions- I already have Batman and Robin #18 Requiem and Catwoman #18 Requiem so I got that covered! Batman and Robin #18, even though there's no dialogue, is actually the issue that got me motivated into finally diving into comics; it hit so hard, beautiful. So that storyline and reading more about Damian has gotten to be a thing for me!

But anyway, heading to two comic shops tomorrow to check out some stuff at one place that I've never been to.

Probably picking up:

Bodies #1(the preview I got from my shop for Vertigo was excellent)
Harley #8 (even though I don't have any other issues)
Justice League #32

Any series I should pick up that are not too far in or are starting a new arc that are good reads??

NA #21
what the fuck Strange was that really necessary you had to Cthulhu the mother fuckers to death. I never liked you you fucking nerd.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NA #21
what the fuck Strange was that really necessary you had to Cthulhu the mother fuckers to death. I never liked you you fucking nerd.

My man Strange isn't about to let some 11 year old in a magic helmet show him up. He ain't about that life.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It think that the main story is in Dark Avengers, Avengers and New Avengers. That said almost every Dark Reign crossover is worth reading, especially Spiderman, Deadpool and the Deadpool/Thunderbolts crossover. I think it was more of a new status quo than an ongoing story though. The ending point is Seige FYI.

He should read Dark Reign: The List, too.

Holy shit I had no idea that Remender worked on Dead Space, and was the lead writer of Bulletstorm...

Wellll. Ellis and Remender both had a hand in the original plotting of Dead Space's plot, Ellis on a more world building scale, Remende ron the game's actual plot, but I think Antony Johnston (of Wasteland, Umbral, The Fuse) deserves a lot of the credit and the title as the "writer of dead space". Ellis and Remender just did concept and ideas mostly whereas as Johnston did the actual proper scripting, dialogue, text logs and so on and did a great job imo. He did some great comics too for the dead space franchise, I really liked the first series with Templesmith.

Newsarama: This isn't your first video game, or even your first game with EA. Warren Ellis was the "public" writer of Dead Space, but you did some work on that too, right?

Rick Remender: Well Warren didn't write Dead Space, he did the concepts- cooked up the universe for them basically. He set the stage, and once they had that stuff from him I came in and took his beats and character stuff and concept, and I wrote 6, 7, 8 outlines; I wrote the game out, the ending, a lot of the stuff in there, then Antony Johnston came in, and took the next step. He did all the dialogue and the final script writing, all of that stuff. Antony was the guy whose voice came across the most, for sure.

I'm pretty sure Rick Remender owned Bulletstorm through and through though and did a great job with it. Really funny stuff haha.

So I seem to have an ongoing problem with Deadpool on Marvel Unlimited.

sometimes his speech bubbles are randolmy blacked out so I have no idea what he's saying, what's the deal here, it happened in X-Force and now again in his own comic.

Sadist

Hawkguy was great again.

Haven't read Uncanny X-Men yet, but Scott receiving shit isn't surprising. He's still a dick.

Young Cyclops though...

Finished that Deadly Class trade in bed last night. Really really great book, instantly rockets into my top things right now. Particularly loved the first two issues, and thought #3 was the low point, but it rebounded really well with the trip to Vegas. Probably my only main sticking point (and thus why #3 was a bit of a low point) is the tendency of the characters to get quite philosophical with each other about the nature of teenagers and why they behave the way they do. I just find it unnatural. I know Remender has the lead explain he has an anxiety thing that makes him over analyse stuff, but it's still a little too from his own mouth for me when they do it. It's obviously Remender analysing why he thinks people behave the way they do, but it's just too on the nose at times. This is relatively minor though in the context of the phenomenal read it was. Just a really really great book. Wes Craig is absolutely incredible at every turn, and the colours are jaw dropping.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Uncanny X-Men 24

Seriously, the X-Men treating Scott like shit is getting really old. Specifically Bobby and Beast.

yeah I hope the resolution ends with the majority of the X-Men admitting to some of their own guilt for supporting the phoenix five to begin with. They had no problem hunting the Avengers down until damn near the end of the whole thing. The only one who has any real reason to go after cyke is wolverine and he kills about 5 people a day on average.

jordisok

Well all these New/Secret/Uncanny Avengers black boxes have got me thinking I should try some of these out. Gone completely under my radar.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope so, even if it's just Abnett. Bendis' run isn't going anywhere, it's always been aimless. And I bet the reason why Nova (Richard Rider) isn't around anymore will be bullshit. I'm counting on it.

The next issue blurb at the end misspelling his name as Richard Ryder doesn't inspire me with much confidence.

Hawkguy was great again.

Haven't read Uncanny X-Men yet, but Scott receiving shit isn't surprising. He's still a dick.

Young Cyclops though...

A dick that kept those assholes alive, unite and 2 steps of head of everyone that wanted to wipe them out? How many times has Cyclops tactics and plans saved the planet?

For fucks sake! It's like the X-Men have forgotten every damned thing Cyclops has done for them.

Wolverines goes nuts and kills and bunch of people? Forgiven!
Bobby damn near freezes the entire planet? Forgiven!
Beast brakes the time/space continuum in a passive aggressive hissyfit? Forgiven!
Wanda de-powers 99% of the earths mutants, leading to the deaths of a ton of them? Forgiven!
Hell, They forgave Mag-fucking-nito!

But Cyclops? Cyclops, gets possessed by the Phoenix because of the actions of the Avengers. But he maintains control up until the Avengers and X-men are attacking him on all sides while Professor-X mind raping him. He finally losses it and kills him? Forgiven? Nope!! It's Fuck you Cyclops! even though you and your team JUST SAVED OUR SCHOOL AND OUR LIVES LAST ISSUE!

At the very least Storm should know fucking better!

Wellll. Ellis and Remender both had a hand in the original plotting of Dead Space's plot, Ellis on a more world building scale, Remende ron the game's actual plot, but I think Antony Johnston (of Wasteland, Umbral, The Fuse) deserves a lot of the credit and the title as the "writer of dead space". Ellis and Remender just did concept and ideas mostly whereas as Johnston did the actual proper scripting, dialogue, text logs and so on and did a great job imo. He did some great comics too for the dead space franchise, I really liked the first series with Templesmith.

I'm pretty sure Rick Remender owned Bulletstorm through and through though and did a great job with it. Really funny stuff haha.

That's very interesting. I didn't realize any of that. I loved the first run of comics as well. Have all the issues.

phoenixyz

This weeks books (so many...):
Batman Eternal #17 I'd call it "business as usual". I really enjoyed the Nguyen art.

Detective Comics Annual I didn't enjoy most of the art much. The story was okay although the non-linear narration felt a bit forced to me.

Harley Quinn #8 So much better than the Comic-Con special.
Gnu 52

Justice League #32 So convoluted. The whole
Beacon across the multiverse
thing is intriguing, but other than that?

Low #1 Boom. What a first issue. Better than Black Science and Deadly Class imo.

Manhattan Projects #22 So, now everything is set up for another crazy story. Still going strong.

Outcast #2 You had my curiosity Mr. Kirkman, now you have my attention.

The Sandman: Overture #3 So, if you take the vibe of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and put it in a Sandman story you get Overture, right? Awesome.

Vertigo Quarterly CMYK Magenta I liked most of the stories. Only the second and fourth ("Who is Uber" and "Gem Pockets") were lame. I'd say my favourite was "Captives", but it's hard to choose.

Was that thing ever mentioned before or was it introduced in B&R #33?

The Sandman: Overture #3 So, if you take the vibe of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and put it in a Sandman story you get Overture, right? Awesome.

Oh shit son, don't do that to me. That's the biggest tease I could ever get about a story haha and I suspect this thing is very far away form trade. Dark Tower series is one of my favourite things ever.

Sadist

A dick that kept those assholes alive, unite and 2 steps of head of everyone that wanted to wipe them out? How many times has Cyclops tactics and plans saved the planet?

For fucks sake! It's like the X-Men have forgotten every damned thing Cyclops has done for them.

Wolverines goes nuts and kills and bunch of people? Forgiven!
Bobby damn near freezes the entire planet? Forgiven!
Beast brakes the time/space continuum in a passive aggressive hissyfit? Forgiven!
Wanda de-powers 99% of the earths mutants, leading to the deaths of a ton of them? Forgiven!
Hell, They forgave Mag-fucking-nito!

But Cyclops? Cyclops, gets possessed by the Phoenix because of the actions of the Avengers. But he maintains control up until the Avengers and X-men are attacking him on all sides while Professor-X mind raping him. He finally losses it and kills him? Forgiven? Nope!! It's Fuck you Cyclops! even though you and your team JUST SAVED OUR SCHOOL AND OUR LIVES LAST ISSUE!

At the very least Storm should know fucking better!
You forgot the fact that Cyclops essentially was Magneto light for a while. While he did protect the mutants from Extinction, he did so by using some shady tactics and he admitted that. He fucked Beast over, was responsible for the death of Nightcrawler, started to use younger X-Men as soldiers and was overzealous with Hope being the savior of the mutant race. (Let's not forget he also had team consisting of Frost, Colossusnaut, unstable Magick, Magneto and Namor. Oh and he had Storm so his team "wouldn't look like a team of bad guys".

Plus Cyclops was never in control. He knew what the Phoenix could do and dabbled in it's powers thinking he could control it. He was wrong and let it control him. After he escapes he's still crazy.

But don't worry, none of the X-Men right now are making the right choices.

Zombine

Banned
I took the time to read Overture #3 this morning and I was blown away like usual. This will be my winner of the month. Now I have to decide between Velvet, Hawkeye, Low, Bodies, and Magenta for my #2-3 spots. If I have time to read Black Science that may get on the list also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom