• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Ok, I said I thought I would be disappointed with Inc 13 but I actually kind of loved it. Great finale.

My main problems with Morrison's Batman (shit artists, beholden to the whims of the shared universe, and being incredibly overlong) were all pretty much solved by Incorporated v2: it looks great, it got to do whatever it wanted for the most part, and it's lean and mean (really really mean).

Shit artists? He's had Kubert, Williams, Daniel (who is good on art and only art), Quitely, Irving, Paquette, and Burnham.

You sound like a crazy person, sir.

Shit artists? He's had Kubert, Williams, Daniel (who is good on art and only art), Quitely, Irving, Paquette, and Burnham.

You sound like a crazy person, sir.

Tony Daniel's early 90s Image art was ass, and sunk RIP, IMO. Terrible at action, terrible at panel-to-panel sequential storytelling, following Morrison's script(he drew an actual murder scene for Joker in the asylum instead of the metaphorical one Grant wanted), just bad.

Then you got 3 awful issues by Philip Tan on Batman and Robin, that one terrible issue with the nine-eyed guy, that REALLY bad issue by Scott Clark about the Internet 3.0, they replaced Cameron Stewart at the last minute for the Cowboy issue and it looked like horse shit...they've been some bad artwork in this run.

Luckily, Batman Inc has been mostly great on that front. And there's still quite a few issues drawn by some of the best artists in the business. But it aint been all sunshine and roses.

Dead

well not really...yet
also that dumb 3D Joker thing way back when

The return of Bruce Wayne was mostly shit art-wise too.

Picked up Collider and The Wake today. Needed some new interesting titles, and I've always liked Snyder's American Vampire series. Collider's concept was interesting. Will be reading them after work.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Tony Daniel's early 90s Image art was ass, and sunk RIP, IMO. Terrible at action, terrible at panel-to-panel sequential storytelling, following Morrison's script(he drew an actual murder scene for Joker in the asylum instead of the metaphorical one Grant wanted), just bad.

Then you got 3 awful issues by Philip Tan on Batman and Robin, that one terrible issue with the nine-eyed guy, that REALLY bad issue by Scott Clark about the Internet 3.0, they replaced Cameron Stewart at the last minute for the Cowboy issue and it looked like horse shit...they've been some bad artwork in this run.

Luckily, Batman Inc has been mostly great on that front. And there's still quite a few issues drawn by some of the best artists in the business. But it aint been all sunshine and roses.

Fair enough. I honestly didn't mind Tony Daniel at all and managed to still enjoy the shit out of R.I.P. As far as errors in scripting, Grant himself says he enjoys when the art doesn't entirely mirror the script, errors and all.

And yeah, that internet issue was bad. Super bad.

Oh right, that really ugly Joker purple prose issue I really don't like. Looked like early 90s CG, like Reboot or some shit

RoBW was mostly straight, Sprouse, Irving, Paquette, Sook, those guys were great. Jeanty was ass, and I refuse to believe they couldn't have found somebody better for the finale then Lee Garbett.

8bit

Knows the Score
FF & X-Men:Legacy have some great 4th wall breaking this week. I wish more of you read X-Men Legacy, it's the most enjoyable book I've read in ages.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh right, that really ugly Joker purple prose issue I really don't like. Looked like early 90s CG, like Reboot or some shit

RoBW was mostly straight, Sprouse, Irving, Paquette, Sook, those guys were great. Jeanty was ass, and I refuse to believe they couldn't have found somebody better for the finale then Lee Garbett.
The Jeanty issue was an atrocity

Cameron fricken' Stewart was suppose to draw that one man...

robw4sketches2.jpg

FUCK

Filthy Slug

Shame Quietly never came back for a few issues.

would have lvoed for him to draw the joker stuff in B&R

I truly love Irving's Joker. I think his art may be polarizing (is it, peeps?) but for me, he's top-tier and has never not made killer art. That said, Quitely is my favorite artist now and it more Quitely, especially with Morrison, is always a great thing.

diaspora

Guardians of the Galaxy #5: Well. At least it's being illustrated by Pichelli I guess. Seeing
one of the deadliest fighters in the galaxy, Gamora,
get jobbed is silly though.

ReiGun

Starting in on my books. Read Batman Inc and enjoyed it, but it wasn't as..."grand" as I was expecting. For this to be Morrison's last issue, it was very unstated compared to the last couple issues.

Quick question: What was the significance of
the open graves? Was it just "someone robbed the Waynes' graves, but that's a story for another time" or was there something else going on there?

Starting in on my books. Read Batman Inc and enjoyed it, but it wasn't as..."grand" as I was expecting. For this to be Morrison's last issue, it was very unstated compared to the last couple issues.

the open graves? Was it just "someone robbed the Waynes' graves, but that's a story for another time" or was there something else going on there?

The two graves were obviously supposed to be Talia and Damian, but it could have just as easily been his parents, metaphorically. "I looked into that hole in things over and over again until it hurt, Jim...and you know what I found there? Nothing...and a space big enough to hold everything." His parents death left a hole in Bruce that he will never fill, but will hopelessly try to fill forever.

frye

that dude that drew the internt issue of inc was really bad.

really only one i can think of

Yeah, these were all guys I was thinking of when I said that. The bad stuff was REALLY bad imo.

I truly love Irving's Joker. I think his art may be polarizing (is it, peeps?) but for me, he's top-tier and has never not made killer art. That said, Quitely is my favorite artist now and it more Quitely, especially with Morrison, is always a great thing.

Nah, Irving's Joker is the tits.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Weren't they
the graves of Talia and Damian
? What I got was
that the fight will never end and the whole thing will just go in a huge circle again and again, hence the ouroboros in the lower right hand corner of the last page
. Basically it was a thematic thing,
someone could pick it up but no one needs to because it doesn't need to be it's own story. It works the way it does

kswiston

Weren't they
? What I got was
that the fight will never end and the whole thing will just go in a huge circle again and again, hence the ouroboros in the lower right hand corner of the last page
someone could pick it up but no one needs to because it doesn't need to be it's own story. It works the way it does

It will get picked up. We'll have a crossover event in Batman a year or two from now involving Ra's. It will spin off into all the bat family books as each character faces off against a Damien clone :p

ReiGun

Weren't they
? What I got was

Yeah I understood the thematic sense of it all
(I don't think someone is really going to pick it up; just saying that's the idea Morrison was aiming at)
, but I was wondering about the graves.
Of course, now that I think about it, it being Damian and Talia makes way more sense considering the last page. So that clears that up. lol

Retreading a lot of old and classic Batman and Hhhooollly shit, I seriously hate when artists give the Joker a super massive Jay Leno pointy chin. I'm cool with his face being weird but I hate when they give him a mutant look, really bugs me. That's also just me coming being new to comics in general though, maybe that's just my problem.

kswiston

Yeah I understood the thematic sense of it all
(I don't think someone is really going to pick it up; just saying that's the idea Morrison was aiming at)
, but I was wondering about the graves.
Of course, now that I think about it, it being Damian and Talia makes way more sense considering the last page. So that clears that up. lol

Also, Gordon talks about their graves about half way through the book. That's why he said that Bruce was wanted for murder.

YaGaMi

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but can anyone recommend me some comic arcs. I used to read comics in the 90's, stuff like Spawn, Death of Superman arc (gonna read this again for the first time since its release), X-Men story when Proffessor X is killed.

I'm a fan of anime too and my favourite manga is Berserk but I'm looking for a non Japanese comic. I've got an iPad plus I'm in the UK so any pointers on where to buy comics is appreciated.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Retreading a lot of old and classic Batman and Hhhooollly shit, I seriously hate when artists give the Joker a super massive Jay Leno pointy chin. I'm cool with his face being weird but I hate when they give him a mutant look, really bugs me. That's also just me coming being new to comics in general though, maybe that's just my problem.

It works for me when Tim Sale does it, but that's it. Everyone else should not do it.

Owzers

Cap 7 and 8 were great despite the events being mostly spoiled by people's reactions to the issues. If you haven't checked the book out yet, give it a try when the trade hits.

kswiston

Another thing I liked about Batman Inc 13
was how generally pleased Ra's looked at the end. Despite what he's saying, he doesn't really give a shit about Talia or Damien dying. He's just happy he can continue his private game of cat and mouse with Batman.

Also, Talia mentioned having to watch her father die over and over again. I suppose it is sort of fitting that trying to step up and fill her father's shoes got her killed in the end.

was how generally pleased Ra's looked at the end. Despite what he's saying, he doesn't really give a shit about Talia or Damien dying. He's just happy he can continue his private game of cat and mouse with Batman.

Also, Talia mentioned having to watch her father die over and over again. I suppose it is sort of fitting that trying to step up and fill her father's shoes got her killed in the end.

A recurring motif of Morrison’s Batman works which culminates in #8 is Damian as a symbol for why proficiency, as polished and impressive as it might be, is not enough to embody the mantle of the Bat. Despite Damian’s hubris and exceptional skill, he is still only a child with a special case of naivete. Though precocious in many respects, his lack of compassion and altruism (qualities his father Batman, and the rest of the Bat-family possess) are his greatest encumbrances. Gotham City goes to hell in 666 world when he's Batman, and he dies here in the present despite his best intentions as well.

His mother Talia goes down a very similar road, as you noticed.

frye

Yeah, that was really great. It feels like where Batman has kind of resigned himself to being Batman forever, Ra's is genuinely really pleased that their fight has resumed.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet, but I also kinda liked the Zero Year reference Gordon drops. Very on the nose, sure, but I dug it.

Tizoc

Just read Batman Inc #13
...I need to re-read Morrison's entire Batman run for this to make more sense, but goddamn it Ra's.

EDIT:
Rw3aaCD.gif

Read both Batman annuals and enjoyed them both.

Read Collider and didnt really feel it. With pull list getting up there I dont know if I will continue. Especially if I like Trillium next week.

mrhGB

Banned
What is considered the best Wolverine series? I have never been into comic books but I'm kinda interested in them and when I get my Nexus 7 v2 it would be the perfect time to start reading some.

kswiston

What is considered the best Wolverine series? I have never been into comic books but I'm kinda interested in them and when I get my Nexus 7 v2 it would be the perfect time to start reading some.

Are you looking for something being released right now, or just general Wolverine stories?

Macam

Banned
Is the Uncanny X-Men Vol. 4 series any good? It seems gimmicky, but I find it strangely intriguing, perhaps because I like Coipel's art and the nod to the throwback costumes.

I also really hate the Vol. labeling of series spinoffs, as I find the whole thing somewhat confusing, especially when collected editions are also using the Volume label.

Ein Bear

I'm loving Ultimates at the minute.

If the rumors turn out to be true, and the universe does end after Hunger, with a few characters being carried over into regular continuity, then I really hope they move evil-Reed into 616. He's so awesome. I really love the stuff the artist is doing in portraying his stretching, with Reed just being this twisted, horrific thing that barely even tries to look human anymore.

Damn, Bats Inc was so good.

Is the Uncanny X-Men Vol. 4 series any good? It seems gimmicky, but I find it strangely intriguing, perhaps because I like Coipel's art and the nod to the throwback costumes.

I also really hate the Vol. labeling of series spinoffs, as I find the whole thing somewhat confusing, especially when collected editions are also using the Volume label.

so far yea! But I love that whole team except Jubilee. (I mean she's alright, I don't hate her or anything like I do Gambit.)

Messi

I would hate to see Saga as a movie, but I can't shake the feeling that Alana and Marko look freakishly like Aisha Tyler and Zachary Levi. Especially Alana.

While I am at it. I am about to start reading the second trade of Saga. Dying to do so. But I would like to know when is the next actual issue coming out. Is it on a break? How many issues do I have to read after the second trade? I am loving this series and fear catching up.

Also I am reading Ultimate Comics Spiderman, I finished the 2nd trade and I love Miles as Spiderman. Please tell me that series is still going. They show
the avengers or the ultimates
in the first or 2nd book. Where can I read more about those specific versions of the characters?

Did I see somewhere that there is an ultimates version of blade?

Uncanny X-Men #8

Fuckin' Mystique, again.

Just coming out of nowhere, why can't the x-men of other super heroes put a priority on her capture and permanent incarceration. Gaddamit

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Did I see somewhere that there is an ultimates version of blade?

Blade first pops up in Ultimate Spider-Man and later on in one of the Millar post-Ultimatum books. Ultimate Comics Avengers maybe? I don't know, the naming got dumb at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom