• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ANXMEN2012016008-col-e2a1f.jpg

Panel 1:

"X-Men! We are--"

"Let me guess bub, you're the X-Men of the future, right?"

Panel 2:

"Wow, t-thats..wow" (bendis dialog)

"How did you guess that?"

"Time-travelling X-Men are kinda our speciality these days"

Panel 3:

"Now..." *snikt*

Panel 4:

"since this is a Bendis comic book..."

Panel 5:

"I'm gonna rage out and attack you for no reason because I'm Wolverine RAAAAAWRGH!"

Spot on, haha

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/preview/ul/ANXMEN2012016008-col-e2a1f.jpg

Panel 1:

"X-Men! We are--"

"Let me guess bub, you're the X-Men of the future, right?"

Panel 2:

"Wow, t-thats..wow" (bendis dialog)

"How did you guess that?"

"Time-travelling X-Men are kinda our speciality these days"

Panel 3:

"Now..." *snikt*

Panel 4:

"since this is a Bendis comic book..."

Panel 5:

"I'm gonna rage out and attack you for no reason because I'm Wolverine RAAAAAWRGH!"
...And he's even f*cking slobbering. :|

Bendis, stop. Immonen, stop. Please, both of you stop. It's not funny anymore, and all you're doing is reinforcing every half-baked, negative opinion of Wolverine you see writ large on every message board out there. STOP.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So ANXM is a soap opera? Dammit, I like soap operas. Have I missed the start of the Battle of the Atom event or whatever it's called?

No it's not started yet. Honestly, you could probably just jump in wherever, the story isn't too complex.

X-Men books are fucking KILLING IT this last couple of years. I've never been super into them, but read the Morrison and Whedon runs over the past decade which seems to be, along with the cartoon, was plenty good a primer when I jumped on just before Schism. Everything since has been brilliant, and they are really embracing the soapy nature of the franchise. Less of the dumb comics supervillains doing things for no reason, instead there are just lots of tangentally related groups all doing their own thing and interacting, with the occasional conflicts that have come up very organically.

ANXM, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, and Wolverine and the X-Men all seem to be cut from the same cloth right now, and it makes for a very satisfying weekly read. I'd say my favourite is still WatXM, I just love the characters and the book has such a light and fun tone to it. ANXM is close behind, fantastic artwork all round and the soap factor is through the roof.

Actually really excited for this Atom war thingy, can't wait for all the books to be crossing over and crazy shit to be going down.

I don't know wtf is happening to me. Down to about 3 DC books but lapping up everything Marvel is doing. They seem to have cracked the code for modern comics right now.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
...And he's even f*cking slobbering. :|

Bendis, stop. Immonen, stop. Please, both of you stop. It's not funny anymore, and all you're doing is reinforcing every half-baked, negative opinion of Wolverine you see writ large on every message board out there. STOP.

He looks max constipated. Like his healing factor met a burrito that finally got him.

Riptwo

Are there any sites that sell DC's Absolute Editions at reasonable prices? I'm hoping to find Absolute Batman & Robin for less than $70 shipped, but I'm not having any luck thus far. Shipping to Canada would be a nice bonus too!

Owzers

Marvel Unlimited filled the gap in the Journey into Mystery/Everything Burns ending arc so i finally got to read the last JiM issue....i'm torn. I liked it a lot but the connecting piece didn't strike me as that remarkable.
I didn't think much of kid loki's connection to the fear crown, its' been awhile since i read that arc so that being the major transition event in the final issue felt like a callback that didn't matter to me, much like every issue of Morning Glories.
Other than that, it was a great send-off that makes me wish Young Avengers involved more loki saga and less....young avengers.

^^^ is shipping to canada required or just a bonus? If it's not necessary, instocktrades.com is the best place to get absolutes right now, but they don't ship to canada.

Just finished the first x-men legacy(NOW) trade.

This book I so under the radar. It's really good stuff. Legion trying to master his personality aid great .

Legion thumping the xmen is great.

Read it

tim1138

The art work in Superboy 22 is bad :( like really bad.

When Bleeding Cool tried to make a big deal out of Justin Jordan leaving the book before SDCC, the bigger shock to me was that there was still a Superboy book to leave. I read the first tpb awhile back and promptly forgot it even existed as a title.

Duress

Should I try to get Absolute Sandman Vol. V? I have the rest. I'm just wondering; if it's worth the money.

In other news I changed my Amazon order for the Animal Omnibus to InStockTrades. I saved a few bucks. :)

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Should I try to get Absolute Sandman Vol. V? I have the rest. I'm just wondering; if it's worth the money.

In other news I changed my Amazon order for the Animal Omnibus to InStockTrades. I saved a few bucks. :)

And you've insured your very important Animan Omnibus arrives at your door with not a ding, scratch, or scuff. Fuck Amazon (for comics).

tim1138

And you've insured your very important Animan Omnibus arrives at your door with not a ding, scratch, or scuff. Fuck Amazon (for comics).

I see this all the time, yet I've never had any problems with stuff coming from Amazon. I guess living an hour from two of their warehouses helps? Who knows.

Acid08

Banned
I see this all the time, yet I've never had any problems with stuff coming from Amazon. I guess living an hour from two of their warehouses helps? Who knows.
Yeah probably :lol.

Every trade/hardcover I've ever gotten from Amazon has had at least one bent corner or light cover scratch.

When Bleeding Cool tried to make a big deal out of Justin Jordan leaving the book before SDCC, the bigger shock to me was that there was still a Superboy book to leave. I read the first tpb awhile back and promptly forgot it even existed as a title.

I don't think it's an awful book, it's worth reading though it does have it's problems. The current one though is that the art was awful, I mean high school level, not professional comic artist level.

I don't mean to sound mean, but I don't understand how some folks get work in this business, and others who are 10x more talented can't get shit.

Bii

Yeah probably :lol.

Every trade/hardcover I've ever gotten from Amazon has had at least one bent corner or light cover scratch.

Geez, I thought I was the only one. :/

Just ordered a number of trades recently and a few have bent corners.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I ordered it from InStockTrades. :/

No, sir, that's a good thing. You did the right thing. Instocktrades is the best website to buy comics from if you're in the US. It's Amazon that stinks for anybody ordering comics--except for Tim who has Amazon employees drive to him and hand-deliver trades on fancy red pillows.

Owzers

I tracked down the Animal Man Morrison trades awhile ago but haven't read them yet, is there any reason to buy the Ominbus at IST for half off and sell the trades? Is it so good it demands an omnibus and selling effort? There's no way i'll be able to read the three trades before the half off sale ends.

Filthy Slug

I tracked down the Animal Man Morrison trades awhile ago but haven't read them yet, is there any reason to buy the Ominbus at IST for half off and sell the trades? Is it so good it demands an omnibus and selling effort? There's no way i'll be able to read the three trades before the half off sale ends.

I mean, Morrison's Animan is a hell of a read. The threads he plays at, especially towards the end of it, are deeply psychological and meta and you can see his early weirdness/greatness. Also, Instock will keep that price, as far as I know, forever, so I don't think you need to fret too much.

I think it's more a personal preference--I love Omnibi and love showing them off on my bookshelf.

edit: also, he does get a bit preachy with some of the animal rights stuff BUT I think he realized that and somewhat leaned off that "no cheesbugers/meat is murder" angle.

tim1138

No, sir, that's a good thing. You did the right thing. Instocktrades is the best website to buy comics from if you're in the US. It's Amazon that stinks for anybody ordering comics--except for Tim who has Amazon employees drive to him and hand-deliver trades on fancy red pillows.

Even with Prime, sometimes I wish I could just drive over and pick my stuff up...

To change subjects, if any of you (other than KoruptData) live within driving distance of Cincinnati, we are having two cons this September. One with primarily Marvel talent (Aaron, Remender, Stegman, but also Chris Burnham!) and headlined by Arthur Adams. The other is primarily DC talent and is headlined by Mahnke and Lemire.
Check 'em out - www.cincycomiccon.com and www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com

Even with Prime, sometimes I wish I could just drive over and pick my stuff up...

To change subjects, if any of you (other than KoruptData) live within driving distance of Cincinnati, we are having two cons this September. One with primarily Marvel talent (Aaron, Remender, Stegman, but also Chris Burnham!) and headlined by Arthur Adams. The other is primarily DC talent and is headlined by Mahnke and Lemire.
Check 'em out - www.cincycomiccon.com and www.cincinnaticomicexpo.com

Damn, Cincy Comic-con has an impressive lineup, especially for a first year con. I like the guest list better than that of most cons in southern California.

Filthy Slug

Damn, Cincy Comic-con has an impressive lineup, especially for a first year con. I like the guest list better than that of most cons in southern California.

I was just gonna say. It's like a group of creators I'd like to grab a beer with.

That's what happens when Tony Moore is involved with organizing it. He actually used to live near me and go to the same LCS as I did.

Paul at Comic Book World was going on about them him and the organizer of the other one. Saying that their egos are too high and the cons should be more spread apart. Benefits the normal person IMO.

Hey tim, ever goto comics2games on 42? I went in there yesterday because CBW did not get Collider and I liked that store way more. People were friendly, even the customers. They had more cool stuff to look at and the store felt more organic compared to the sterile enviroment of CBW. CBW almost breeds an enviroment of get it, get your comics and get the hell out.

Paul at Comic Book World was going on about them him and the organizer of the other one. Saying that their egos are too high and the cons should be more spread apart. Benefits the normal person IMO.

Yeah, it's weird that they're a week apart. Makes little sense.

At least our cons in SoCal (Comikaze and Long Beach CC) are like 3 weeks apart! Which i don't get either, they were two months apart last year.

tm24

I saw a cover of Venom on someone's pull list this week. Does anyone keep up with this series? It looks like it got great reviews on Amazon (the paperbacks), but it doesn't seem like many people here keep up with it. Is it worth starting? I love me some spider-man.

Also, I just got the Nood HD+ and am trying to get used to reading comics on there. Does anyone else read it holding it horizontally instead of vertically and then scroll through? I need seeing the detail and the screen isn't quite big enough to see it all on the 9" screen. Maybe I just need to get used to it.
A lot of people dropped it after Remender left dropped the book.

tim1138

Hey tim, ever goto comics2games on 42? I went in there yesterday because CBW did not get Collider and I liked that store way more. People were friendly, even the customers. They had more cool stuff to look at and the store felt more organic compared to the sterile enviroment of CBW. CBW almost breeds an enviroment of get it, get your comics and get the hell out.

Oh yeah, the whole being a week apart is a total pissing contest between the two of them. The one nice thing is that it forced the Expo guys to step their game up in getting big name creators.

I haven't been to comics2games since they expanded the store, their old space was tiny. I agree with you about CBW, the people there are nice but it never felt like a place to chat and hang out. If you haven't been there yet, check out Arcadian Comics in Newport, I wanna say it's on Monmouth. It's a bit on the small side but the staff are super cool and friendly.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Chew is getting a second attempt at making a show! They are going to make an animated film first and then a show. I'll post a link later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Chew is getting a second attempt at making a show! They are going to make an animated film first and then a show. I'll post a link later.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/image-comics-chew-getting-a-598022

Interesting strategy. The article makes it sound like the animated project is a more fleshed out thing than what they apparently did for Peter Panzerfaust, but I wonder if it would be a standalone thing or if it will feel more like a weird proof-of-concept.

Too bad both Ken Leung and Josh Holloway might be busy with other shows.

Wool

I'm starting to dislike Bendis more and more, but I really liked Uncanny X-Men #9. I agree with you guys about the soap opera aspects. The 90's animated series was great because it was a soap opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom