• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| February 2017 All You Need is Love (and Rockets)

Messi

All right ComicGAF friends, I'm leaving in a minute for a job interview for a position that can only be described as the exact job that I've been hoping to get for the last 4 years.

It's just the first round, but it's seriously cool and exactly what I want to be doing with my life.

Think good thoughts.

Pulling for you. Don't do a freeza on it.

Captain America: Steve Rogers #11
A lot of build-up this issue, but it was pretty good as usual. I really appreciated, more than anything else, that
the Guardians attended Jack Flag's funeral. It was a real good continuity touch
. Although, im regards to continuity,
Black Ant should be dead. Illuminati had him as some discount LMD that Mad Thinker blew up. So he should just not even be there, but good on Illuminati for being ignored (too precious for this world). I do like his new design, though

I really need something to happen, though. I love me some good build-up, but Secret Empire can NOT be the big payoff in this book. There needs to be a fucking FIGHT, dammit. I know I sound bloodthirsty, but...nah, I need a fight.

Captain America: Sam Wilson #19
Really straightforward with an expected result. That ending however....there's no way this could possibly go wrong. It's funny, the most recent episode of Black-ish was similar to this (jury duty, in particular), and since I watched that few mere hours before reading this, it felt like serious deja vù

Old Man Logan #18
And all is revealed as predicted. Let it be said that
Glasgow Smile Jean is the creepiest shit I've seen in awhile
. There is a huge problem with the next arc, though:
shouldn't the Wastelands be gone? Erased after Secret Wars? I assumed that Logan coming into this world was a similar case to Miles and the Maker and whomever else came over from there. I supposw this means it isn't?
. Still top tier.

Uncanny X-Men #18
What a bummer. Oh well, at least
Ren shows up. But I guess Archangel can mind-control people?
Whatever. These tie-ins, and my strange obligation to read them, are almost done.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
All right ComicGAF friends, I'm leaving in a minute for a job interview for a position that can only be described as the exact job that I've been hoping to get for the last 4 years.

It's just the first round, but it's seriously cool and exactly what I want to be doing with my life.

Think good thoughts.

Good luck.

I wish there was a job out there that I actually wanted or anything at all I wanted to do with my life.

The Uncanny Inhumans #19
This was a fun issue. I do love me some Maximus. The art change was weird, though. Super weird. Really broke any immersion I had in the issue. That said the ending just got wacky.
Banyan? Really? Why? And also the fish person that either is or is the product of the Unspoken. There also has to be a better reason why Max is keeping Lineage around. Good on Triton for the constant sass, though.

The Ultimates^2 #4
There was some Bayonetta shit un here, and a cool fight, though I really did not like the art at all in this issue. Really distracted me from appreciating the high tier cosmic shit that was happening. Also, I have no idea who
the Queen of Nevers and what she is from, but she seems cool
. Oh Ewing, you make my heart sing.

The Ultimates^2 #4
There was some Bayonetta shit un here, and a cool fight, though I really did not like the art at all in this issue. Really distracted me from appreciating the high tier cosmic shit that was happening. Also, I have no idea who
the Queen of Nevers and what she is from, but she seems cool
. Oh Ewing, you make my heart sing.

She was introduced in Slott Surfer

Messi

Remember that fun Iron Fist dude you were enjoying for the past year or so? Marvel doesn't give a single FUCK about it.

Ewing is overrated

And the Queen of Nevers is from Slott's Silver Surfer.

I am loving this volume of Ultimates. Ewing is basically portraying the creative crisis at Marvel through a bunch of crazy cosmic characters, it's awesome

That said. I am pretty close to dropping USA. I don't think it's nearly as good as New Avengers

PsychBat!

Banned
I am loving this volume of Ultimates. Ewing is basically portraying the creative crisis at Marvel through a bunch of crazy cosmic characters, it's awesome

I think he's doing a fine job with these crazy cosmic concepts, that's my type of comic (me being a fan of psychedelic Jim Starlin Thanos comics) but inserting human characters that are more earth based than cosmic based seems like a big mismatch to me. And I believe it could work if the Ultimates team weren't underused in comparison to these big ideas Ewing has.

But I haven't read Ultimates 2 since the third issue I believe, so my mini rant could be baseless.

Messi

So I am making an early list for the big 3 (DC, Image and Marvel) from the April solicits. I like to feature #1's so I can highlight new books to people and I like to feature arc ends of finales. DC and Image are simple. I get to marvel....how about this month I feature a few books I enjoy and think people would like..Marvel is like...nah:

Secret Empire #1
Secret Empire Uprising #1
Secret Warriors #1
Guardians of the Galaxy #1
Rocket #1
I am Groot #1
Jean Grey #1
Generation X #1
Cable #1
Black Bolt #1
Luke Cage #1
Zombies Assemble #1
Guardians of the Galaxy Mother Entropy #1
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout #1

This is fucking insane. I get 9 books. I am not featuring 9 number ones. Marvel currently feels like a struggle to avoid having their entire section be new titles every month.

I think he's doing a fine job with these crazy cosmic concepts, that's my type of comic (me being a fan of psychedelic Jim Starlin Thanos comics) but inserting human characters that are more earth based than cosmic based seems like a big mismatch to me. And I believe it could work if the Ultimates team weren't underused in comparison to these big ideas Ewing has.

But I haven't read Ultimates 2 since the third issue I believe, so my mini rant could be baseless.

That's a fair criticism, though the most recent issue seemed to intentionally contrast what is going on with the team vs the big picture

Sandfox

So I am making an early list for the big 3 (DC, Image and Marvel) from the April solicits. I like to feature #1's so I can highlight new books to people and I like to feature arc ends of finales. DC and Image are simple. I get to marvel....how about this month I feature a few books I enjoy and think people would like..Marvel is like...nah:

Secret Empire #1
Secret Warriors #1
Rocket #1
I am Groot #1
Jean Grey #1
Generation X #1
Cable #1
Black Bolt #1
Luke Cage #1
Zombies Assemble #1
Guardians of the Galaxy Mother Entropy #1
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout #1

This is fucking insane. I get 9 books. I am not featuring 9 number ones. Marvel currently feels like a struggle to avoid having their entire section be new titles every month.
Those are May book and you should probably just consider the Duggan Guardians and that Mother Entropy from the Guardians line.

tumblr_olsv1cW9DL1vxsk3lo1_540.jpg

Omfg Gabby's new costume

Messi

Those are May book and you should probably just consider the Duggan Guardians and that Mother Entropy from the Guardians line.

The mini's have to go. The list I need to trim to 9 is now 19 books including not new titles.

Is there really any reason we need 5 Guardians books? I know the new movie is coming out, but Jesus.

There is also a Star Lord Annual that month. Mother entropy is shipped weekly and Guardians is double shipped.

No Gamora. Did that book die already? I liked issue #1. It was beautiful :(

Messi

Are comics still a mistake in the future?

As always.

DC's month seems...light. The titans/deathstroke event is on but other than that just good books doing their thing. Hanna Barbera will be cancelled due to lack of books and I am not forcing it.

Marvel: #1's everywhere

Image: Lots of top books returning for new arcs and one book about a serial killer killing people to save his kidnapped blow up doll. So things are looking good.

Sandfox

The mini's have to go. The list I need to trim to 9 is now 19 books including not new titles.

There is also a Star Lord Annual that month. Mother entropy is shipped weekly and Guardians is double shipped.

No Gamora. Did that book die already? I liked issue #1. It was beautiful :(
I would go:
Secret Empire
New Guardians
Venom 150
Strange(end of Aaron's run)
One of the new X-books
Ms. Marvel
Daredevil
Moon Knight
Gwenpool

mreddie

Secret Empire #1
Secret Warriors #1
Rocket #1
Jean Grey #1
Generation X #1
Black Bolt #1
Luke Cage #1

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY ALL #1s, just buy what connects and ignore what doesn't.

Bolded are my picks.

Messi

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY ALL #1s, just buy what connects and ignore what doesn't.

Bolded are my picks.

This is for the OP. I dropped all of Marvel when they dropped digital codes.

Don't worry it wont all be #1's . There might not be any #1's if I am honest.

Messi

For the May OP?

Make it a vote?

Yeah.

A vote in Trumps AMERICA? Not a chance. Only Freeza gets to tell me no and she never has a problem with my picks. I can't live in a thread where Sillymonkey gets a chance to vote.

Spoiler.

Thor is one of the books I picked as it is the final issue of the war and the cover is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Also Wada killed it on this cover.

Messi

Spoiler: Messi picks comics for the OT based on which covers have the best art.

This is so close to the truth that its scary.

See the amount of times I have picked Suicide Squad lol (AHAHAHA its even in this months OP. I picked it simply because I loved the nod to Harley loving Wonder Woman and wearing her tshirt)

Glob better be in that book. My boy glob.

Messi

Isn't Glob suffering from that Phoenix thirst atm?

Yeah Eva should be in this book dammit

Glob can handle it. He just wants love :(

If Eva doesn't show up during the current event then I think I am willing to accept she is gone and stop hoping everytime a new book gets announced. Maybe its time for Blink supporters to do the same?

Messi

Jealous Mark, first my Anna Kendrick takeover and now my Wrestlemania takeover, denied.

I should be running at least one ComicGAF OT

You can be my backup incase I ever get banned. Like that time spike got banned and sillymonkey made the OT in mspaint. I think that was sillymonkey lol.

Is JC still dead?

TheFlow

Banned
Youngblood

in 2017
Can you imagine being in 2012 and someone told you that windstorm, doom patrol, and youngblood would be ongoings. Then they later told you that the flinstones is the smartest comic and power rangers would be a banging comic. 2016-the year anything could happen

Who's the guy with one antler? Why are there two characters with antlers?
Benjamin Deeds. He has chameleon abilities which cause him to mimic the physical traits of those near him. He also exudes pheromones that help calm the person he's interacting with. It's possible he can do more, but we haven't seen it.

So that's why he has horns on one side and white hair on the other

mreddie

Can you imagine being in 2012 and someone told you that windstorm, doom patrol, and youngblood would be ongoings. Then they later told you that the flinstones is the smartest comic and power rangers would be a banging comic. 2016-the year anything could happen

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE

raw

U.S.Avengers #3
I love this book. Teamwork! Action! Wit! I like Gold Skull as a villain and DaniCap so much. Plus I actually enjoy Squirrel Girl quite a bit im this book. I'm also interested in Toni's arc right now.
She keeps emphasizing how her armor and tech is all designed to be non-lethal, yet she seems to be more and more aggressive with it. Something Aikku points out when she says she wants to talk about it and even Dani takes a shot when she calls it a "gunmobile."

Top Bottom