• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

So basically it's amazing and I should stop buying any physical stuff and just switch to digital.

Shit they got Mark Waid's Flash, all of Kirby's New Gods stuff, Suicide Squad, Starman, friggin' Impulse in its entirety is on sale right now. Impulse is one of the best comics of the 90s.

I had to go digital because I was running out of shelf space for books, but it's actually pretty fantastic.

tim1138

So basically it's amazing and I should stop buying any physical stuff and just switch to digital.

Shit they got Mark Waid's Flash, all of Kirby's New Gods stuff, Suicide Squad, Starman, friggin' Impulse in its entirety is on sale right now. Impulse is one of the best comics of the 90s.

They don't have anywhere near all of the Fourth World comics. All they have is the Forever People, no New Gods, no Kirby Mr Miracle (just the DeMatteis run), and no Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen.

Yes, now read Omega Men. You'll love it.

a friend had the issues. they were quite good, though it felt a bit weird how they jump straight into the deep end immediately without really explaining everything. i really liked the covers, they were quite stylish.

i tried googling to find out more about it but like nearly everything else with new 52 i've googled i ended up knowing more than any online source anyways.

was kyle rayner in the green lantern line before and there's backstory how he ended up with the omega men or is this his first appearance? i know the citadel is a big baddie because they showed up in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

edit: read his wiki entry and the section on new 52. shit like that is why i never bothered with gl. all these random constructs of different emotions and random alien names and all this other stuff that's just ugh. explained why people think he's dead, did not explain how he ended up with the omega men.

a friend had the issues. they were quite good, though it felt a bit weird how they jump straight into the deep end immediately without really explaining everything. i really liked the covers, they were quite stylish.

i tried googling to find out more about it but like nearly everything else with new 52 i've googled i ended up knowing more than any online source anyways.

was kyle rayner in the green lantern line before and there's backstory how he ended up with the omega men or is this his first appearance? i know the citadel is a big baddie because they showed up in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

edit: read his wiki entry and the section on new 52. shit like that is why i never bothered with gl. all these random constructs of different emotions and random alien names and all this other stuff that's just ugh. explained why people think he's dead, did not explain how he ended up with the omega men.

Honestly, the pacing is one of my favorite parts; the first issue manages to set up more mystery and up the stakes better than basically any other #1 I've read, or at least that I can remember reading. At the time it was just kinda weird, but looking back I'm seriously impressed.

As to the rest: Rayner is still a Lantern, but White, not Green. He willingly surrendered his ring upon entering Citadel space, at their request; while we know them as the Big Bad, the rest of the galaxy views them as a legitimate (if expansionist) government. The Omega Men then kidnapped him and staged a (fake) live execution.

Owzers

things to possibly buy:

Hearthstone packs :/ - golden legendaries!
Mad Max Fury Road blind bind blu ray since it's not out on Redbox for another 3 weeks.
Metal Gear Solid 5

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm going to be disappointed if i choose hearthstone packs over the other two.

ElNarez

Banned

there's some context in the 8-page preview, which you can get for free on comixology or elsewhere I'm not sure, but otherwise, yeah, it trusts you to be able to piece things together and I love when comics do that

Took a small break from Simonson Thor to read

Thor (v4 Aaron) #1 - #5: The first four issues were pretty interesting and the art was great. Didn't like #5 at all. So heavy handed and seemed to spend more time on old Thor instead of moving on to the new one.

things to possibly buy:

Hearthstone packs :/ - golden legendaries!
Mad Max Fury Road blind bind blu ray since it's not out on Redbox for another 3 weeks.
Metal Gear Solid 5

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm going to be disappointed if i choose hearthstone packs over the other two.

Greatest value per dollah is MGS5, obv.

Also i think there's a version of the Mad Max game where you also get a BD version of the film, so you might wanna have a look at that.

Owzers

Metal Gear is one of those series where i always get hyped for the game but then am kinda disappointed when playing, i don't enjoy sneaking around areas and men screaming my name when i'm killed, it's kinda like Elder Scrolls games. I think i liked Metal Gear 3 and 4 for the most part, i remember hating that city street sneak level in Metal Gear 4. I kept getting spotted in Ground Zeroes and didn't enjoy my time with it at all.

Metal Gear is one of those series where i always get hyped for the game but then am kinda disappointed when playing, i don't enjoy sneaking around areas and men screaming my name when i'm killed

I started Ground Zeroes using stealth, then eventually gave up and by the time I was done, there were 46 dead. Some I used an AA gun on, some I ran over with a truck.

Yousefb

Couple questions for you ComicGAF.

Howard the Duck - worth it? Looks like a fun time, and I can go for a funny book amidst all the more action packed comics.

John Constantine the Hell-blazer - never read the original series but the art on this new series looks incredible. Is it a good jumping on point?

ElNarez

Banned
Couple questions for you ComicGAF.

Howard the Duck - worth it? Looks like a fun time, and I can go for a funny book amidst all the more action packed comics.

John Constantine the Hell-blazer - never read the original series but the art on this new series looks incredible. Is it a good jumping on point?

Yes, and also yes.

Owzers

............ couldn't finish Shadowrun Returns on ios because of a bug. I ended up seeing the ending on youtube instead of trying to reload and hope it decides to not be stuck. Lame.

Squire

Banned
I don't understand why the collected editions are not also on sale.

That basically never happens. Usually they'll put the first trade from multiple runs on sale (you read one, maybe you'll buy the rest of whatever series at full price, obvs). If it's just a single run on sale though, it's usually all the singles for a dollar a piece.

Yousefb

Apologies if this thread doesn't allow for it, but I was hoping you guys would be able to critique a beginner. Now clearly this is very rough and not refined but I'm just trying to practice getting used to the pencil. Any tips, pointers, and critiques are greatly appreciated!

[
iN9QAzR.jpg

IGmicfn.jpg
Edit: sorry for the size, not sure how to resize it from my ipad

last one before i go to sleep, i went through wonder woman up until issue 37 or so. that one run from issue 1 all the way up to issue 35 was so incredible. i'm surprised they were able to keep one arc running for so long, and it all was done so incredibly well that even as someone who hates greek mythology, even I loved it.

...and then it went straight into this really bad, terrible thing where they made ww super weak and baby faced and just terrible. also a jl lite comic...for reasons. i remember reading a long time ago that they gave ww to a husband and wife team where the wife had never written anything of importance before and the husband wasn't that great of an artist. and that the result that the comic was super sexist in a lot of ways.

...i can't disagree.

See, we were alright right up until Enies Lobby. Then it all went to shit.

Curiously, I stopped following One Piece at around Thriller Bark the first time. I'm on Fisherman's Island now.

Just googled her. yes.

I will put OnePiece, from Reverse Mountain through Marineford, as one of the best shonen ever. I will put it up there against anything. Before or after that, though? You're pushing it. I dropped the series during Dressrosa. Oda's writing destroyed me. His pacing...fuck his pacing. Togashi has better pacing on HxH

I will put OnePiece, from Reverse Mountain through Marineford, as one of the best shonen ever. I will put it up there against anything. Before or after that, though? You're pushing it. I dropped the series during Dressrosa. Oda's writing destroyed me. His pacing...fuck his pacing. Togashi has better pacing on HxH

But you see, what OP needs is more characters in the main cast.

Dude, you are 100% correct. The main problem I see is that Oda likes...

But you see, what OP needs is more characters in the main cast.

To jam too many fucking characters in and try to give them all attention, and fails miserably at that. I'm not just talking about MCs; I don't give a shit about the fish people. I just don't. And there are so many of them. He doesn't kill off ANYONE.

This is one of the main problems with shonen on general, just look at Naruto and bleach alongside this. All past enemies become allies, then it's a total shitfest trying to give them all a bit of attention. At least HxH has the decency to introduce a set number of characters and focus on them for an arc. Chimera Ants - bunch of new people, but no Leolio or Killua, and obviously it benefited a lot from that extreme focus. Actually, Chimera Ants is the epitome of shonen storytelling for me. It was so excellent.

reading this last Harbinger trade is filling me with dread.

something bad's going to happen. oh dear.

Yes, but not in the way you're expecting most likely...

Metal Gear is one of those series where i always get hyped for the game but then am kinda disappointed when playing, i don't enjoy sneaking around areas and men screaming my name when i'm killed, it's kinda like Elder Scrolls games. I think i liked Metal Gear 3 and 4 for the most part, i remember hating that city street sneak level in Metal Gear 4. I kept getting spotted in Ground Zeroes and didn't enjoy my time with it at all.

I've never liked those games.

reading this last Harbinger trade is filling me with dread.

something bad's going to happen. oh dear.

I sure would have loved to have been able to read the 4th and 5th yesterday. But not just would CMX not view in the web viewer properly and not just were the downloads painfully slow, but the downloads would go and permanently fail on me after so much time so even simply waiting wasn't an option! I am not a happy camper.

Owzers

omg
u guys
mad max fury road

Wait for the movie to hit blu ray, wait for the movie to be rentable at redbox when you find out they aren't getting it when the blu ray releases.....argh i just want to watch good movies and not netflix horror stuff :/ Instead of Fury Road i'll be renting a zombie movie "Extinction"....

Owzers

The value proposition of buying blu rays is still wayyy too much for me, i'm rarely willing to spend $20 on a movie. Only thing worse is buying comics...

Messi

Wait for the movie to hit blu ray, wait for the movie to be rentable at redbox when you find out they aren't getting it when the blu ray releases.....argh i just want to watch good movies and not netflix horror stuff :/ Instead of Fury Road i'll be renting a zombie movie "Extinction"....

Try the horror movie Lazarus Effect. I really enjoyed it. So did Zombeen and GrandHarrier.

Top Bottom