• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| August 2015. Overwhelming.

XSoQYTU.gif

VUAqOck.png

MR6n8.png

bciYRoh.jpg

5sE5Cw5.jpg

+Groot #3 by Jeff Loveness and Brian Kesinger (Aug 5). Rocket's been kidnapped, an entire world is in jeopardy, and hero-slash-houseplant Groot is stranded in space! Lucky for him, there's room on the Silver Surfer's board for three!
+Secret Wars #5 by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic (Aug 12). We've already seen how far Doom will go to save existence from the Beyonders. Now, how far will he go to preserve the universe he's made, following the arrival of RICHARDS?
+House of M #1 by Dennis Hopeless and Marco Failla (Aug 19). Having crushed all resistance, the Magnus family lives in peace and luxury, secure in the iron-clad rule of their world. What happens when boredom sets in?
+Secret Wars: Secret Love #1 by Various Writers and Artists (Aug 19). At the end of the world, can love bloom between a stretchy Pakistani Muslim teenage heroine, and a Hispanic street racer posessed by the demonic spirit of his Satanic serial killer uncle? Uhh...
+Hank Johnson, Agent of HYDRA #1 by David Mandel and Michael Walsh (Aug 26). Ever wonder what life is like for the faceless goons of Hydra? It's not all failing to conquer the world and getting punched in the face by Captain America; sometimes, it's about doing paperwork.
+X-Men '92 #3 by Chris Sims, Chad Bowers and Scott Koblish (Aug 26). The X-Men of 1992 have fallen into the clutches of Cassandra Nova, and are in need of extreme rescue! Can the extreme heroes of X-Force '92 save the day?

QV0uw.png

5Lz9voN.jpg

as0CX8i.jpg

+Action Comics #43 by Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder (Aug 12). Metropolis PD is assaulting Superman's new neighbordhood for siding with the Man of Steel! Can Clark Kent uncover the plot against him before the escalating situation turns deadly?
+Batman #43 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo (Aug 12). A new Batman calls for new rogues, and Jim Gordon is about to get his first taste of supervillainy! Who is the mysterious "Mr. Bloom," and what menace does he represent?
+DC Comics Bombshells #1 by Marguerite Bennet and Marguerite Sauvage (Aug 12). As the United States is drawn into a second world war, a new breed of heroine will answer the call to arms! Explore another DC universe, one where the women come first!
+Justice League: Gods and Monsters #1-3 by J.M. DeMatteis, Bruce Timm and Thony Silas (Aug 12, 19, 26). In this prequel to the newly released animated film from DC, three dangerously powerful individuals will join forces for the first time. But are they saving the planet for humanity, or for themselves?
+All-Star Section-8 #3 by Garth Ennis and John McCrea (Aug 12). Sixpack has repeatedly struck out in his quest to recruit the final member of his team. Have Section-8's woes finally come to an end when J'onn Jonzz, the Martian Manhunter, agrees to become the eighth man?
+Harley Quinn Road Trip Special #1 by Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Bret Blevins and More (Aug 26). It's the hottest part of the summer, and for Harley Quinn that can mean only one thing: road trip! She's shoving Poison Ivy and Catwoman into the passenger seat of a convertible, and together they're going to see America!

9sam5.png

aDWS7oq.jpg

yUF2Jqn.jpg

+The Fade Out #8 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Aug 5). Screenwriter Charlie Parish's life has been turned upside down since the night he woke up next to a dead Hollywood starlet. As he continues to unravel the mystery of that encounter, he finds himself in increasing danger.
+Skullkickers #100 by Jim Zub, Edwin Huang and Kevin Raganit (Aug 5). After one hundred issues (really? one hundred? are we sure about that?), the saga of two mercenaries hacking and slashing their way to adventure comes to its skull-kicking conclusion!
+The Beauty #1 by Jeremy Huan and Jason Hurley (Aug 12). Anyone can be beautiful... they just have to sleep with the right person. In a world where attractiveness is a sexually transmitted disease, two detectives will uncover the terrible cost of physical perfection.
+Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl #1 by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie and Matt Wilson (Aug 12). Five years ago, Emily Aster gave a piece of herself away in exchange for the power of phonomancy. Now, in a world where songs have power, learn what that gift has cost her -- and what that missing part has been doing.
+Birthright #10 by Joshua Williamson and Andrei Bressan (Aug 19). Mikey's quest to acquire the daggers that will lead him to his targets has jeopardized the life of his older brother, Brennan. Can the injured Rhodes brothers survive against the full fury of a diviner unleashed?
+Nameless #5 by Grant Morrison and Chris Burnham (Aug 26). Who was the man now known as Nameless? What horrible secrets lie within the Razor House? Only at the very end, will all become clear.

9CWx4.png

er09bGG.jpg

kflOd5u.jpg

+Adam.3 #1 by Scott Kolins (Aug 5). On an island utopia filled with technological marvels, one young man must rise to the challenge and save his world from destruction. Will Adam be up to the challenge of defending paradise from the thread of S.E.E.D.S.?
+King Tiger #1 by Randy Stradley and Doug Wheatley (Aug 12). King Tiger's past comes back to haunt him, and should he fail against the threat of the Dragon then the world will descend into chaos. "Blood of a king, heart of a tiger!"
+Empowered Volume 9 TP by Adam Warren (Aug 19). Less than lucky but always plucky! Suspended from the Superhomies and suspected of hoarding weapons of mass destruction, Empowered finds herself the target of an endless string of villains in search of plundered alien booty!
+New MGMT #1 by Matt Kindt (Aug 19). The war for control of the Mind MGMT agency is over, and the cost has been high. In this series finale, find out who lives, who dies, and what the world has become in the aftermath.
+Grindhouse: Drive In, Bleed Out #8 by Alex de Campi and John Lucas (Aug 26). Britt and Veronica have the power to prevent Earth's destruction within them; a power they can bring forth with each and every orgasm! ...Yeahbuhwhuh?
+Hellboy in Hell #7 by Mike Mignola (Aug 26). Hellboy's journey through the afterlife continues! As he travels the realm he may once have called home, however, he slips further away from the corporeal realm, becoming just another phantom...

ymY7S.png

0HTysxX.jpg

SgXR9Gl.jpg

+Insufferable #4 by Mark Waid and Peter Krause (Aug 5). While Nocturnus and Galahad continue to knock heads, a cadre of St. Barrington's most vile supervillains are gathering together to destroy them. Can't these villains just, I dunno, wait them out?
+String Divers #1 by Chris Ryall and Nelson Daniel (Aug 5). Quantum physics and daring-do collide for bold scientific adventure! The String Divers are a renegade team of scientific geniuses, protecting the universe on the sub-atomic level!
+Uncle Scrooge #5 by Miquel Pujol and Freddy Milton (Aug 12). Scrooge and his nephews face off against dastardly foes in a showdown at the Grand Canyon! Can these fearless feathered fowl pull of an upset and win the ultimate prize?
+The X-Files Season 11 #1 by Joe Harris and Matthew Dow Smith (Aug 12). After the shocking events of last season Fox Mulder finds himself on the run, accused of stealing government secrets by a shadowy figure. Can Scully save Mulder before it's too late?
+TMNT Amazing Adventures #1 by Landry Walker, James Kochalka and Chad Thomas (Aug 19). Ever wish you had a modern Ninja Turtles comic that was a little less Mirage and a little more Archie? Something that you could show to your kids who are discovering your favorite heroes on the half-shell for the fist time? You're in luck!
+Drive #1 by Michael Benedetto and Antonio Fuso (Aug 26). REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO REAL HUMAN BEING AND A REAL HERO

4T1fu.png

Ok6knNN.jpg

r091fzU.jpg

+Red Sonja/Conan #1 by Victor Gischler and Roberto Castro (Dynamite, Aug 5). The She-Devil with a Sword and the Conquering Cimmerian reunite for another tale of swords and sorcery! A secret from their shared past returns to haun the duo at the worst possible time!
+Family Pets OGN by Patrick Shand and Sarah Dill (Zenescope, Aug 12). Orphaned since early childhood, Thomasina once believed that something amazing and incredible would happen to her to make up for all that heartache and sorrow. Upon turning sixteen, however, Thomasina discovers that... she was right.
+Welcome Back #1 by Christopher Sebela and Jonathan Brandon Sawyer (Boom!, Aug 19). Mali and Tessa are on opposing sides in an endless war, destined to fight and die and live again, repeating the same cycle in a new body forever. That is, until the day that Mali wakes up in a new body and begins asking why...
+Book of Death: The Fall of Ninjak #1 by Matt Kindt and Trevor Hairsine (Valiant, Aug 26). The Book of the Geomancer has foretold that Ninjak will fall in battle. When an old friend approaches with an offer to cheat fate, however, will Ninjak grasp the opportunity and betray his fallen comrades?
+Over the Garden Wall #1 by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell (Boom!, Aug 26). Based on the hit Cartoon Network miniseries! On their way out of schooltown Wirt and Greg encounter a couple of girls playing by the road, but their giant father might ruin the boys' day!
+Stringers #1 by Marc Guggenheim and Justin Greenwood (Oni, Aug 26). Newshounds Paul and Nick are always on the move, following every gang shootout and police car chase in Los Angeles to bring you the extreme close-up. When they capture video of the wrong thing, their luck may have run out.

SpD81R8.png

Spoilers. In the age of digital comics, they are increasingly becoming an issue in these threads, as the drive to be first to discuss the week's releases overrides common sense and good posting etiquette. So over the coming weeks and months, the members of Comic GAF will be collaborating on and will eventually be implementing a system of general rules for avoiding spoilers on new comics in the Comics OT thread. But for now, please abide by the temporary guidelines outlined below. And remember, you are being watched and judged by your peers.

1. Discussion of newly released comics that involves specific plot details shall be accompanied at all times by the appropriate use of the
tag function.
2. Direct posting of full-page images from newly released comics using the tags is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
3. Direct posting of images or spoilers from comics that have yet to be released is strictly prohibited, and outgoing links to such should be accompanied by the appropriate spoiler warnings.
4. Covers, solicitation copy, and/or promotional materials shall not be considered spoilers and are allowed, unless their content involves specific plot details; in those cases, outgoing links with spoiler warnings should be used.
5. The unmarked posting of spoilers related to comics will be allowed after a period of one week (Wednesday to Wednesday) from that comic's release.[/b] ([u]NOTE:[/u] Longer? -Spike)
[b]6. Members of Comic GAF are expected at all times to exercise common sense and polite discretion as a matter of courtesy to fellow posters. I know, tough one.
7. If you are unsure of whether or not posting something would constitute a spoiler, err on the side of caution and use the [SPOILER] tags.[/b]

In short, don't be Stephanie Brown. Don't be... The Spoiler. For one thing, [b]you're[/b] not that loveable. >:|

Happy reading!

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Spike, you the best. I thought Sillymonkey was making the thread though.

I've never gotten a first post in a Comics OT before. Big day for me.

Secret War sucks.

WAIT...

+Over the Garden Wall #1 by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell (Boom!, Aug 26). Based on the hit Cartoon Network miniseries! On their way out of schooltown Wirt and Greg encounter a couple of girls playing by the road, but their giant father might ruin the boys' day!

HOLY SHIT

July Wall of Shame:
Messi 1,250
Freezasaurus 1,121
Zombine 880
LaunchpadMcQ 816
ViewtifulJC 521
GAMEPROFF 494
Kipp 462
sillymonkey321 419
Tyrant Rave 378
Rhaknar 322
Coriolanus 297
PsychBat! 289
WadiumArcadium 276
BenjaminBirdie 276
gketter

Messi wins again. No one can keep up with that kind of spam.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Awesome thread! I'm fucking stoked for Nameless #5! That series is so cool I was sending pics of panels to like everyone I knew (No spoilers for them because they don't give a fuck). My kids were like "Oh, there's dad with his dumb weird stuff again!" but it was just so cool!

I just want to say I noticed a saddening lack of discussion on Chilling Adventures of z Sabrina #4 in the last thread. Now, these threads move fast and I probably missed it but what did you guys think? I was fucking jaw on the floor shocked.

Sandman Oveture #5 - this book is so beautiful. I can't wait to get this in a deluxe edition once it wraps up. It's crazy when CMX lists it started in 2013. But the wait will be worth it. Williams III is putting out the best work in his career. The long gaps are hurting my understating what's going on in the book. It's dreamlike to begin with but the long gaps aren't helping.

Baltimore is the fucking best. It starts out where he's this grizzled motherfucker trying to avenge his family who got killed by a vampire because Baltimore hurt him while defending himself. It gets so much bigger and more epic though. At one point you think you're getting to the end of it all but, man, you've barely scratched the surface. The writing and art are excellent, and there is much more to the story than I dare tell you here.

As much as I love the Archie Horror books, Hellboy, and Hawkeye, I was so fucking excited when Dark Horse had that half price sale recently and I bought every issue of Baltimore currently available and I'm going to buy the graphic novel it's all based on, too.

If you love monsters, monster movies, Gothic fiction, weird fiction, all that excellent shit, I can't recommend Baltimore enough. It seems like the forgotten book that nobody talks about. Maybe it's not sexy and popular like Hellboy, but I just feel bad for people who don't give it a shot.

Excellent, thank you! I'll be sure to check it out once I'm done with my journey through Hellboy and BPRD... Which is moving much faster than I planned and it's kind of terrifying. I can't believe I bought three Library Editions while I still have two BPRD omnis unopened :(

Anyways, gonna read more of that to try and knock out at least one more of those omnis before my Hellboys show up in a few days. I'm going to listen to some idols while I do so.

Messi, tell me about Twitch. Or Switch. Or whatever it's called now. I was looking at the art on Sejic's dA page and I'm very interested. Sell it to me.

frye

yo JC you probably haven't picked up T v GI Joe yet since it's delayed on comixology but the third page is lifted straight from the last page of Elektra Assassin

BPRD just keeps getting better. Finished up BPRD: The Dead and that was just awesome. Daimio was hilarious throughout, especially his interactions with Roger (who has also become quite the character in this series) and I thought his obsession with using guns was great. The villain was pretty freaky and Guy Davis is amazing at drawing all of those scratchy and gross details on monsters and the environment which helped even more. The stuff about Abe was really interesting as well.
Dunno if you saw, but a couple weeks ago when I read some of that Kevin Smith Spider-man mini I said his writing was whatever, but Terry Dodson's art is good and Terry favorited the tweet, haha.

I think I was talking to you, but I'm not sure.

I DID see that! I guess Dodson is a name searcher just like Stegman lol

Messi

I am sorry, I don't like being an asshole.

To the best of my knowledge and what I have parsed from what Sejic has said about Switch is that it is going to be a fresh start in its own universe for the Witchblade. A girl finds the witchblade and it attaches itself to her and Sejic style hijinks insue. He says he will pull in a few other characters along the way from other top cow series but no prior knowledge is required of top cow stuff. Evil forces vs good and all that jazz. He says it will be like Death Vigil in that it is epic, exciting and funny. I am down for it obviously and I hope he gets to continue death vigil also as he has created a wonderful set of characters there too.

Switch #2s cover is cool
tumblr_ns5iwdDVHn1sfabsto1_500.jpg

To the best of my knowledge and what I have parsed from what Sejic has said about Switch is that it is going to be a fresh start in its own universe for the Witchblade. A girl finds the witchblade and it attaches itself to her and Sejic style hijinks insue. He says he will pull in a few other characters along the way from other top cow series but no prior knowledge is required of top cow stuff. Evil forces vs good and all that jazz. He says it will be like Death Vigil in that it is epic, exciting and funny. I am down for it obviously and I hope he gets to continue death vigil also as he has created a wonderful set of characters there too.
it's too late for the sales pitch, Messi. the damage to Freeza's been done.

Messi

it's too late for the sales pitch, Messi. the damage to Freeza's been done.

She started it.

Also sejic needs all the sales help he can get. This book just like most of his other books will be great but it will sell fuck all and people will complain about not being able to find it in stores because they didn't order past the first issue. Then they drop it as they missed issue 2. This has happened nearly every one of his books and it is why death vigil is going to die :(. Comic stores don't order many of books like his without preorders.

--

Hmm Kieron Gillen and Tula Lotay are doing a signing in Dublin at Big Bang in August. I should go right ?

Yooooo

Got me some Bendis DD volume tres. Finally. And some All-New X-Men volume quatro.

We gon read some comics tonight

Been thinking about picking up that trade of Greg Rucka's Cyclops.

That sounds really neat. Witchblade never struck me as the type of thing that could be a hijinks book. But it makes sense to give the thing a fresh start since Witchblade itself is ending in October with #185. I wonder why they didn't decide to go to 200.

Hmm Kieron Gillen and Tula Lotay are doing a signing in Dublin at Big Bang in August. I should go right ?

You should ask Tula Lotay to be your waifu.

Messi

That sounds really neat. Witchblade never struck me as the type of thing that could be a hijinks book. But it makes sense to give the thing a fresh start since Witchblade itself is ending in October with #185. I wonder why they didn't decide to go to 200.

You should ask Tula Lotay to be your waifu.

Sejic is pretty good at making things hijinxy. I am curious how he will pull it off though. I can't imagine it being anything like regular Witchblade. I get the feeling it's going to be its own story that just happens to feature the witchblade.

My waifu heart belongs to Olivia Wilde. Olivia Wilde could be an awesome Zatanna.

Sejic is pretty good at making things hijinxy. I am curious how he will pull it off though. I can't imagine it being anything like regular Witchblade. I get the feeling it's going to be its own story that just happens to feature the witchblade.

I looked at a lot of the pics he had up and it looks like he hijinx'd a bunch of established characters. Should be pretty fun.

Ya sold me

Do those series have pre-established lore that I should invest in? By that I mean The Darkness and Witchblade?

Messi

Ya sold me

Do those series have pre-established lore that I should invest in? By that I mean The Darkness and Witchblade?

He says it's not necessary as he is starting fresh as if it is a new universe but I am sure it wouldn't hurt. Witchblades series is pretty long though. I've never read the Darkness.

He put the first 13 pages on his deviantArt which is kind of crazy. Here are the first 3. I love the art.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So I finally saw JL: Gods and Monsters.

If you are relatively knowledgeable of the DC Universe, it's pretty cool. Brutal, some cool fights, some solid moments. If you aren't, there is still a decent core to that movie, but a lot of the wrapping and context in that movie might be lost on you.

As far as the comic goes, there's a lot of potential for making that universe interesting. I'm curious as to see what else they do with it. I think it was a conscious effort to avoid showing any potential Green Lanterns, any potential Flash characters, etc. They can explore that stuff in the future.

If you are relatively knowledgeable of the DC Universe, it's pretty cool. Brutal, some cool fights, some solid moments. If you aren't, there is still a decent core to that movie, but a lot of the wrapping and context in that movie might be lost on you.

As far as the comic goes, there's a lot of potential for making that universe interesting. I'm curious as to see what else they do with it. I think it was a conscious effort to avoid showing any potential Green Lanterns, any potential Flash characters, etc. They can explore that stuff in the future.

it made me miss bruce timm more than anything else. even though it was such a departure from the justice league we're used to i enjoyed it much more than the last bunch of dc animated movies.

Zombine

Banned
it made me miss bruce timm more than anything else. even though it was such a departure from the justice league we're used to i enjoyed it much more than the last bunch of dc animated movies.

There was a sense of fluidity to the moment and the battles looked very organic and seamless. It's something that a lot of these things are missing. Dialogue was hammy as shit, but nowhere near as bad as some of the other movies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
There was a sense of fluidity to the moment and the battles looked very organic and seamless. It's something that a lot of these things are missing. Dialogue was hammy as shit, but nowhere near as bad as some of the other movies.

Me and my girlfriend had a good laugh at "Trevor, you ass!"

Squire

Banned

Real talk: Kirk is the best Batman in a minute. Dude could carry an ongoing, easily.

Hagi

So is Gambit gone forever?

Gone but not forgotten. Wherever there is someone holding a negative opinion on the Ultimate Universe he will be there..just eh not on this forum.

I've never read anything Witchblade related before but I think I'll give that Switch a try it looks fun.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Gone but not forgotten. Wherever there is someone holding a negative opinion on the Ultimate Universe he will be there..just eh not on this forum.

I've never read anything Witchblade related before but I think I'll give that Switch a try it looks fun.
He is like Batman? D:

Top Bottom