• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its lame imo, but ill keep an open mind

How is ultimate iron man? Like can someone give me a good review on it?

I wanna collect as much ultimate marvel in completion that i can
I can't give you a review because I haven't read it, but apparently the Orson Scott Card stuff was so weird they actually reconned all of it IIRC

Protag

Banned
I can't give you a review because I haven't read it, but apparently the Orson Scott Card stuff was so weird they actually reconned all of it IIRC

Yeah i noticed how Stark didnt have blue skin like he does in Cards story, and thought that was odd, maybe that retconn explains it

Got my first digital comics ever. Both on Comixology. That Winter Soldier for $1.99 and that Nova for $1.99.

I hope they aren't terrible.

Can't go wrong with DnA stuff. Definitely check out Annihilation and their run on Guardians of the Galaxy if you wanna get more into Cosmic Marvel. They did a great job with it and had the perfect ending with The Thanos Imperative.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember From Hell was super cheap in comixology last time I looked, wanted to use my $5 on that but I see they jacked the price up :( Any suggestions for good cheap stuff in that Alan Moore-y vein?

I might be getting that Darkness compendium from the comixology sale, can anybody talk me out of it?

Southern Listards
BATMAN ETERNAL #4

BLACK SCIENCE #6
DEADLY CLASS #4
SOUTHERN BASTARDS #1
UMBRAL #6

ALL NEW X-MEN #26
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1
AVENGERS #28
AVENGERS WORLD #5
NEW AVENGERS #17
SILVER SURFER #2
UNCANNY AVENGERS ANNUAL #1
WOLVERINE #5
X-FORCE #4

Can't go wrong with DnA stuff. Definitely check out Annihilation and their run on Guardians of the Galaxy if you wanna get more into Cosmic Marvel. They did a great job with it and had the perfect ending with The Thanos Imperative.

That Annihilation Book One is on sale for $1.99 on comixology. Is it worth it?

EDIT: Bought it anyway. Hopefully it's good haha

sca2511

That's basically what the new epic collections are. They're collecting stuff up to the modern era with ~20 volumes mapped out for each book in the line.

So they're starting from the first issue? I'd love to get them to replace my Essentials.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I remember From Hell was super cheap in comixology last time I looked, wanted to use my $5 on that but I see they jacked the price up :( Any suggestions for good cheap stuff in that Alan Moore-y vein?

Not for cheap.
And that's the price that From Hell is normally at. There are Top Shelf sales a few times a year and that's when it's cheap.

I'd say check the Comixology front page every day, but that's dangerous.

Just read through some issues.

All-New Ultimates #1: Eh. Only reading it for Spider Man, and it was pretty dull.
Original Sin #0: I'm not caught up with the new Avengers, but this story seems rad.
Loki - Agent of Asgard #1: Oh, wow. I'm liking where this is going already.
Ultimate FF #1: Ugh. No thank you.
Daredevil #1 - 2: It's alright. Nothing too crazy about it. The art style is neat, at least.
Iron Fist - Living Weapon #1: Eh. Not my cup of tea.
Deadpool vs Carnage #1- 2: My first Deadpool series, and it seems like a good time.

MG310

Have a huge pile of books all spread out to organize/Ebay/Goodwill Making a personal note to just organize them as I get them rather than have to deal with this again once the shelves fill up. All recent stuff, some seem to sell pretty well like the set of Spider-Man "New Ways to Die" variants as a set for 50.

That Annihilation Book One is on sale for $1.99 on comixology. Is it worth it?

EDIT: Bought it anyway. Hopefully it's good haha
Sorry for the late reply, but yes, it's good. It sets up everything for modern Cosmic Marvel.

Even if you don't like it, it was only $1.99. That's a steal considering how expensive it is to buy physically since volume 1 is out of print and the omni is gonna be retailing for $125.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Connor's anti-nu52 rant on iFanboy this week made me chuckle, I was actually thinking the very same a day earlier wrt Zero Year. They really did fuck up Batman with the relaunch didn't they? Connor's arguement was that DC want to have point A and point B operating at the same time - new origins, and "everything is different" BUT the present day continuity is much the same as it used to be until they decide it isn't any more.

IMO they really cocked up the Robins situation (not to mention Damian's timeline). The more I think about it, the more I wish they'd have had something like Zero Year as the very first arc on Batman at the nu52 launch and then went from there. Introduce the Robins separately, let the universe grow into new directions from the old one.

Comics and timelines have always been flakey (I spent many an hour trying to parse out Batman's 12 year history when I was a kid - turns out years 10-12 really put Gotham through the wringer) but the way it is now Batman (Superman too) falls entirely apart with any scrutiny at all. That's just bad storytelling and it's a shame.

Consider Superman, actually. The Doomsday story they're doing right now (which btw is mad since they already did a woefully underwhelming Doomsday story just before the nu52) - did Superman die in the nu52? Did it happen the same as it did before? So what about Superboy and Steel? And Dubbilex and the Cadmus project? Or was there a version of the story with all the cool shit ripped out? How long had Clark been superman when this happened? How long ago was it in-universe? If he was newer, did Metropolis care the same way? Did coast city still get blown up to make Hal Jordan Parallax? What a mess.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Beast lost his fur in X-Factor #3.
It was the result of a guy using him as a guinea pig in experiments done trying to find a cure for mutation.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
General rule of thumb: If it's been referenced, it happened, unless it didn't. If it hasn't, then it didn't, until it did.

I see there's a Batman vs Bane comic coming up - does that mean that Knightfall still happened? JPV was still Bats for a bit? How many years ago was that? Who was Robin at the time? Was it Tim? His solo book co-starring Spoiler spun out of that.

Anything Batman vs Bane is trading off of the Knightfall history, but if it didn't happen the same (or at all) what are they referencing?

I'm betting in nu52 that No Man's Land didn't happen any more because it's so similar to Zero Year. Does this mean that Gordon was never married to Essen? Actually if they bring her back and don't murder/rape/turn her into a super villain that would be cool.

I see they've bought the Roman back, that means Year One kinda happened. Did Long Halloween happen too? Most of the dynamic between Bats, Roman and Selina was built up there.

Son I am confuse.

ElNarez

Banned
Yeah I've never understood why people worry so much about continuity when most of is irrelevant to the stories currently being told, and can be reinterpreted at will. Like, if you think about it, Morrison's Batman run can't work, but if you think about it a little more, it completely can if you allow it to.

TAJ

LIST:
BOOM!:
CLOCKWORK ANGLES #2

DC COMICS:
BATMAN ETERNAL #4
FOREVER EVIL BATMAN VS BANE #1

IMAGE:
BLACK SCIENCE #6
DEADLY CLASS #4
DREAM POLICE #1
SOUTHERN BASTARDS #1

MARVEL:
AMAZING SPIDER-MMAN #1
DISNEY KINGDOMS SEEKERS OF THE WEIRD #4
SILVER SURFER #2

VALIANT:
RAI #1

So I listened to the episode in question, Jedeye; people like the hosts of the show want a document that lists, written in stone, what events did and didn't happen and how they happened when in reality you have to look at it all as possibilities. Every event could have happened, in some form or variation, until conclusively ruled out but to never assume anything actually happened until specifically mentioned.

I'll admit that I don't have continuity hangups most of the time though, so this stuff just doesn't bother me. I know there are connections between stories and events but I don't need exact details. Just hand wave any inconsistency away (similar to the Marvel sliding time scale method).

DC's vast continuity actually is what got me interested in them and probably superhero comics as a whole, but that was right around the time the new 52 was announced. So now I don't care about continuity and I hate everything

V_Ben

Banned
Finally got around to reading Superior Spidey 31, pretty great ending for that series. Particularly good set of panels in that goblin site, with the purse comment and the realization. Loved it.

Mindwipe

Amazon pulling region shenanigans was the exact thing I was dreading as soon as this deal got announced. Kinda shocked how quickly they pulled this still.

They had no choice, it would have happened anyway - there are a bunch of legislative changes to VAT happening in the EU this summer, and running it the old way was going to be illegal for any company with European operations.

Not that that excuses the shitty exchange rates or how half assed the sites are.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I listened to the episode in question, Jedeye; people like the hosts of the show want a document that lists, written in stone, what events did and didn't happen and how they happened when in reality you have to look at it all as possibilities. Every event could have happened, in some form or variation, until conclusively ruled out but to never assume anything actually happened until specifically mentioned.

I'll admit that I don't have continuity hangups most of the time though, so this stuff just doesn't bother me. I know there are connections between stories and events but I don't need exact details. Just hand wave any inconsistency away (similar to the Marvel sliding time scale method).

I don't think I follow your reading of that conversation, I don't think they want an entire timeline plotted out at all. Connor's point was interesting I thought - at the start of the new 52 (and now) they're doing origin stories (Moz Action, Year Zero, Secret Origins etc), some of which are quite bold and different. But they also have stories set 'now' in an improbable 5 years later. These stories rely as much on pre52 continuity as they do new stuff. This makes stuff like the Robins really messy - are they the same characters shaped by the same or similar events, or are they new characters? If they are 'new' I think they should be treated as such IMO. My dream Robin Academy book would be so badass - imagine all the Robins being or training to be Robin at the same time. That would be brilliant.

I had pretty much the same thoughts while thinking about Zero Year. It's been great, but as the story progresses it's become apparent that this is a very different Batman and Gotham from anything we've seen before. I want to see what THIS Batman does next. I want to see the origins of his new rogues gallery. At this point, it feels like Zero Year and current day Batman are very different characters.

I'm not so much "give me back my old continuity" so much as I am "commit to your new one". When they launched the 52 they should have parcelled off Morrison's Batrun into it's own pocket universe (so we could have had more of Steph and Cass) and started fresh with the 52.

Outside of Justice League and sort of Action Comics, most of the books around the launch of New 52 were set in the 5+ years after the Apokalips invasion. Right off the bat you had a period of time where anything could happen and over time they've gone back and started to fill them in. I personally don't have a problem with this method as it let's you establish a certain baseline of characters and villains without having to retell their origin until you want or need to.

On the issue of Robins, this too doesn't bother me, as it's not impossible to work it through: Dick was Robin for a time, then became Nightwing. Jason was a terrible Robin that got killed rather quickly. Tim went straight to Red Robin and Damian is a clone baby. The smartest thing they did with the Robins, IMO, is to more strongly associate them with the personas they took on after the mantle. Now it's not 4 Robins, but Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, and Robin.

Messi

Annie Wu's Hawkgal Kate looks like Katy Perry. I love it but can't unsee it. Also that last issue was suuuuuper dark. Odd change from the usual wacky hijinks.

Annie Wu's Hawkgal Kate looks like Katy Perry. I love it but can't unsee it. Also that last issue was suuuuuper dark. Odd change from the usual wacky hijinks.

Messi, you overthink, always speak critically.
I should know that, you're not good for me.

But hasn't Hawkeye been on this tonal shift for the last few issues?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Outside of Justice League and sort of Action Comics, most of the books around the launch of New 52 were set in the 5+ years after the Apokalips invasion. Right off the bat you had a period of time where anything could happen and over time they've gone back and started to fill them in. I personally don't have a problem with this method as it let's you establish a certain baseline of characters and villains without having to retell their origin until you want or need to.

On the issue of Robins, this too doesn't bother me, as it's not impossible to work it through: Dick was Robin for a time, then became Nightwing. Jason was a terrible Robin that got killed rather quickly. Tim went straight to Red Robin and Damian is a clone baby. The smartest thing they did with the Robins, IMO, is to more strongly associate them with the personas they took on after the mantle. Now it's not 4 Robins, but Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, and Robin.

how old is Dick now? 24? 20? 19? How old was he when he became Robin? Was he part of the Titans for the change from Robin to Nightwing? What IS Tim now? Bratty boarding school orphan? How did his parents die? Was he ever even Batman's partner? Or Tim Wayne? How did Jason have time to be Robin, die, be reborn thanks to Superboy Prime's reality punch that never happened now, and then come back as Red Hood aged about 25? Did Bruce impregnate Talia when he was in junior high, or was Damian a flash-grown genetic experiment?

The trouble is, it's not internally consistent any more. There are too many questions for handwaving to fix it. Yeah comics is comics but I at least want it to feel like somebody has thought about these things. Comics fans are notoriously OCD about this stuff, it's unsatisfying to have it held together with so much sellotape and gum.

how old is Dick now? 24? 20? 19? How old was he when he became Robin? Was he part of the Titans for the change from Robin to Nightwing? What IS Tim now? Bratty boarding school orphan? How did his parents die? Was he ever even Batman's partner? Or Tim Wayne? How did Jason have time to be Robin, die, be reborn thanks to Superboy Prime's reality punch that never happened now, and then come back as Red Hood aged about 25? Did Bruce impregnate Talia when he was in junior high, or was Damian a flash-grown genetic experiment?

21ish. 16. No Red Robins Titans were the first. Tim is a charge of Bruce' while his parents are in protective custody. Yes. Maybe. Jason came back via Lazarus pit. One would assume Damian like the other clones was tank bred and grown to later childhood quicker.

Most of these were answered in issues.

Tizoc

Connor's anti-nu52 rant on iFanboy this week made me chuckle, I was actually thinking the very same a day earlier wrt Zero Year. They really did fuck up Batman with the relaunch didn't they? Connor's arguement was that DC want to have point A and point B operating at the same time - new origins, and "everything is different" BUT the present day continuity is much the same as it used to be until they decide it isn't any more.

IMO they really cocked up the Robins situation (not to mention Damian's timeline). The more I think about it, the more I wish they'd have had something like Zero Year as the very first arc on Batman at the nu52 launch and then went from there. Introduce the Robins separately, let the universe grow into new directions from the old one.

Comics and timelines have always been flakey (I spent many an hour trying to parse out Batman's 12 year history when I was a kid - turns out years 10-12 really put Gotham through the wringer) but the way it is now Batman (Superman too) falls entirely apart with any scrutiny at all. That's just bad storytelling and it's a shame.

Consider Superman, actually. The Doomsday story they're doing right now (which btw is mad since they already did a woefully underwhelming Doomsday story just before the nu52) - did Superman die in the nu52? Did it happen the same as it did before? So what about Superboy and Steel? And Dubbilex and the Cadmus project? Or was there a version of the story with all the cool shit ripped out? How long had Clark been superman when this happened? How long ago was it in-universe? If he was newer, did Metropolis care the same way? Did coast city still get blown up to make Hal Jordan Parallax? What a mess.

I often give continuity the middle finger for the sake of my sanity.
All the events of the DC verse take place within 10-15 years. Likewise for the Marvel-verse.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I don't think I follow your reading of that conversation, I don't think they want an entire timeline plotted out at all. Connor's point was interesting I thought - at the start of the new 52 (and now) they're doing origin stories (Moz Action, Year Zero, Secret Origins etc), some of which are quite bold and different. But they also have stories set 'now' in an improbable 5 years later. These stories rely as much on pre52 continuity as they do new stuff. This makes stuff like the Robins really messy - are they the same characters shaped by the same or similar events, or are they new characters? If they are 'new' I think they should be treated as such IMO. My dream Robin Academy book would be so badass - imagine all the Robins being or training to be Robin at the same time. That would be brilliant.

I had pretty much the same thoughts while thinking about Zero Year. It's been great, but as the story progresses it's become apparent that this is a very different Batman and Gotham from anything we've seen before. I want to see what THIS Batman does next. I want to see the origins of his new rogues gallery. At this point, it feels like Zero Year and current day Batman are very different characters.

I'm not so much "give me back my old continuity" so much as I am "commit to your new one". When they launched the 52 they should have parcelled off Morrison's Batrun into it's own pocket universe (so we could have had more of Steph and Cass) and started fresh with the 52.

Yo, Snyder and Capullo put out an official statement on DC's behalf:
obVPoc9.png

I see there's a Batman vs Bane comic coming up - does that mean that Knightfall still happened? JPV was still Bats for a bit? How many years ago was that? Who was Robin at the time? Was it Tim? His solo book co-starring Spoiler spun out of that.

Anything Batman vs Bane is trading off of the Knightfall history, but if it didn't happen the same (or at all) what are they referencing?

I'm betting in nu52 that No Man's Land didn't happen any more because it's so similar to Zero Year. Does this mean that Gordon was never married to Essen? Actually if they bring her back and don't murder/rape/turn her into a super villain that would be cool.

I see they've bought the Roman back, that means Year One kinda happened. Did Long Halloween happen too? Most of the dynamic between Bats, Roman and Selina was built up there.

Son I am confuse.

General rule: NOTHING happend like it happend in the old DCU. There are similarities. Events that may mirror each other. But nothing of the old DCU happend like it is printed.

We don't know the new fates of all those characters. We will find out. Give them time to tell the stories. Read the old ones as stand alones, etc. But don't try to figure out which panel may work and which won't. It will drive you crazy. ;)

I know we were talking about a new artist taking over for She Hulk. I was talking to Charles Soule at C2E2 and asked him about that,, he said "the new artist is only doing a couple issues then Javier Pulido will be back,, so don't worry"

I forget who the guest artist is. but I wanted to tell Soule, can you let Pulido know them damn eyes creep me out. lol.
I do like the rest of the art tho.

Messi

I know we were talking about a new artist taking over for She Hulk. I was talking to Charles Soule at C2E2 and asked him about that,, he said "the new artist is only doing a couple issues then Javier Pulido will be back,, so don't worry"

I forget who the guest artist is. but I wanted to tell Soule, can you let Pulido know them damn eyes creep me out. lol.

michael-scott-no.gif

He's not that bad. Just fix the faces please.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

It's Ron Wimberly, and he's rad as fuck:

Y'all fellas with that eye shit. Get over it you perfectly symmetrical, beautiful babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom