• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibranium

Banned
When does everyone wanna do the Skype chat today?

I will be out at work tonight, sorry guys!

Eric are you reading Velvet? If you like espionage books it is one of the top ones out there today. I'm trying to rally more people to support the un-nominated Brubaker and Epting, since the Eisner snobs ignored them.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
This might be the most 90s thing this side of DC Comics

Deadpool-vs-X-Force.jpg

A liefeld styled gun without mc escher physics? Do wonders never cease?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
AFAIK, the .eu and .fr sites both use the same terrible conversion rate anyway, so you can avoid the terrible .fr layout but you'll be paying more than on .com anyway.

As an example, the Superior Spiderman bundle is $70 (~50€) and that ends up as 63€ on comixology.eu and .fr, unless I'm missing something.

Amazon pulling region shenanigans was the exact thing I was dreading as soon as this deal got announced. Kinda shocked how quickly they pulled this still.

arkon

Adventure Time 2014 Annual #1
Black Science #6
Deadly Class #4
Egos #4
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #4
Silver Surfer #2
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #28
Umbral #6
X-Force #4

maybe dexter's lab too.

Protag

Banned
Man, the graphic novels for marvel sure are convuluted to follow.

They need to make it easier to follow trades

For instance, i want to read the clone saga, but its apparently out of print.

And amazing essentials inly goes up to volume 11, why? Where is the other 300 issues of amazing and why arent they printed?

arkon

Man, the graphic novels for marvel sure are convuluted to follow.

They need to make it easier to follow trades

For instance, i want to read the clone saga, but its apparently out of print.

And amazing essentials inly goes up to volume 11, why? Where is the other 300 issues of amazing and why arent they printed?

The new Epics line will probably sort this out, although it'll be a while until all the material is printed in that format.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Oh, man, Southern Bastards #1 out this week? I've been waiting for Aaron to get back to some darker, creator owned stuff since the last issue of Scalped hit. It doesn't hurt that it also got the Ales Kot sexy seal of approval.

Vyer

Looks like people noticed comments disappearing from the app announcement on the Comixology Facebook page. Comixology said they were just 'hiding' posts to make it easier to find support questions or something and started bringing them back after getting called on it but....what a mess.

Protag

Banned
Because they're cheaper that way. They give you 20-30 issues with old school coarse matte paper in black and white. 400-600 pages for $15 bucks, not a bad deal if you can get it.

True, im just so used to seeing marvel art in color that this will be jarring.

I just went to cancel my order, but the seller shipped it already. Same day. Places that order like 2 hours ago, thats crazy.

Ahhh its kravens last hunt so i guess its worth a read.

True, im just so used to seeing marvel art in color that this will be jarring.

I just went to cancel my order, but the seller shipped it already. Same day. Places that order like 2 hours ago, thats crazy.

Ahhh its kravens last hunt so i guess its worth a read.

I think some of the older comics look better in black and white because the coloring techniques they used back then were shitty and actually made the art look worse in a lot of cases. It varies by comic though really.

Ephidel

Little late, but my list for this week.
Avengers #28
Black Science #6
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe #12
New Avengers #17
Rai (Pullbox Plus) #1
Tales of Honor #2
Uber #12
Umbral #6
Vertigo Quarterly #1 Cyan
Cardfight Vanguard Vol.1
Vinland Saga Vol.3
xxxHolic Rei Vol.1

I really need to get around to actually reading the Vinland Saga hardcovers instead of just buying them because I was reading the scans years ago.

Messi

Finished Batgirl Year One. Yeah that book is great. Shame they didn't go anywhere after that.

Edit : Isint that Spider-Man variant like $40?

frye

I really need to get around to actually reading the Vinland Saga hardcovers instead of just buying them because I was reading the scans years ago.

This is me with Vertical's Gundam: The Origin releases. I read the first one and all of a sudden I have 5 of the damn things

Anyone in this thread read comics on the Kindle Paperwhite? Been thinking about picking one up due to the current promo. Is it a good experience? Does it accepts all formats or do they need to be converted?

Thanks!

sca2511

Does anyone have any cool old issues they've bought for collection? I'm thinking of trying to get the original Nova issue 1 which is his first appearance and Uncanny X-men #129 which was the first appearance of Emma and Kitty.

I've got as a gift The Amazing Spider-Man #121, 122, and Secret Wars #8. I don't think I have any more than that.

Chorazin

Anyone in this thread read comics on the Kindle Paperwhite? Been thinking about picking one up due to the current promo. Is it a good experience? Does it accepts all formats or do they need to be converted?

Thanks!

I love my Paperwhite, but I tried reading some free manga from the Kindle store and it wasn't a great experience.

Protag

Banned
Its lame imo, but ill keep an open mind

How is ultimate iron man? Like can someone give me a good review on it?

I wanna collect as much ultimate marvel in completion that i can

Onemic

How was Jean ressurected in uncanny xmen and how did beast go back to his original human looking form?(in fact it's not even explained how beast got all fury) I'm assuming its explained in xfactor, but comixology doesn't have issue 1, the earliest issue they have is 10.

How was Jean ressurected in uncanny xmen and how did beast go back to his original human looking form?(in fact it's not even explained how beast got all fury) I'm assuming its explained in xfactor, but comixology doesn't have issue 1, the earliest issue they have is 10.

That's not really what happened. Beast felt the X-men lost their way, so he time-jumped the actual original team into the present day. So right now we have multiples of certain team members running around.

All-New X-Men is the book which covers most of this plotline.

arkon

I thought they were planning to release books that were similar to the essentials, but in color.

edit: ehp. forgot I just posted.

That's basically what the new epic collections are. They're collecting stuff up to the modern era with ~20 volumes mapped out for each book in the line.

Which book are you reading?

I don't remember when (or if) they explained the Beast thing (Maybe in Avengers?). But Jean returning to life happens in the first issues of X-Factor if I'm not wrong. (Check Wikipedia though, I read those some while ago)

Boogiepop

Finished Batgirl Year One. Yeah that book is great. Shame they didn't go anywhere after that.

Like I said earlier, it's actually pretty much a sequel to the similar(ly awesome) Robin Year One, which compliments it well. I actually read them in a trade together which made for a very nice experience.

Onemic

That's not really what happened. Beast felt the X-men lost their way, so he time-jumped the actual original team into the present day. So right now we have multiples of certain team members running around.

All-New X-Men is the book which covers most of this plotline.

I mean uncanny xmen and xfactor in the 80's. Unless all new xmen connects that far back

I don't remember when (or if) they explained the Beast thing (Maybe in Avengers?). But Jean returning to life happens in the first issue of X-Factor if I'm not wrong.

I thought so, but like I said, comixology starts at issue 10 of xfactor and I can't find a good summary of it on comicvine.

ElNarez

Banned
Last week of April, and an urgent housekeeping matter: considering the comics come out on the cutoff date for this months' votening, could it be possible to move the cutoff for April's comic of the month a day or two so everyone can read all the books in contention? Thanks in advance.

And now, a list:
Batman Eternal #4
Vertigo Quarterly #1: Cyan

Black Science #6
Deadly Class #4
Southern Bastards #1
Uber #12

All-New X-Men #26
Avengers #28
New Avengers #17
Origin II #5
X-Force #4

Last week of April, and an urgent housekeeping matter: considering the comics come out on the cutoff date for this months' votening, could it be possible to move the cutoff for April's comic of the month a day or two so everyone can read all the books in contention? Thanks in advance.

I was going to post about this Friday but forgot.

The new OT will go up on May 1st as planned, but because the last day of April is a Wednesday I am going to extend voting until Friday, May 2nd, so that people don't feel too rushed into voting for books just to make that deadline.
From a couple of pages ago.

I mean uncanny xmen and xfactor in the 80's. Unless all new xmen connects that far back

I thought so, but like I said, comixology starts at issue 10 of xfactor and I can't find a good summary of it on comicvine.
Here's something of a summary off the Wikipedia article on Jean Grey:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Grey said:
Jean Grey was reintroduced in Marvel Comics six years after the publication of "The Dark Phoenix Saga" in Avengers #263 (January 1986) and was revived in Fantastic Four #286 (January 1986), with the events of "The Dark Phoenix Saga" retconned. The new version of events was that rather than being Jean Grey reborn, Phoenix was actually an entirely separate entity posing as Jean. The new events state that while near-death in Uncanny X-Men #100, Jean made contact with a cosmic entity called the "Phoenix Force".[17] The Phoenix Force offered to save Jean's life and that of other X-Men and took on Jean's form.[17] Jean Grey imbued the copy with her essence, causing the Phoenix Force to believe that it truly was Jean Grey.[17] The Phoenix Force, now in the form of Jean Grey and calling itself "Phoenix", placed the dying Jean Grey's body in a healing cocoon, which sinks in the ocean during the events of Uncanny X-Men #101.[17] The duplicate continued on in the events from Uncanny X-Men #101, all the while believing itself to actually be Jean Grey up to its "death" at the conclusion of "The Dark Phoenix Saga".[17] Future issues would further explore the details of the interaction and connection between Jean and the Phoenix Force.[18][19] The real Jean Grey awoke from the cocoon when her injuries were healed (though without access to her telepathy) and with no recollection or involvement in the events that had occurred after meeting the Phoenix Force.
(...)
In the comics, having been fully established as separate from the "Jean Grey" copy created and taken over by the Phoenix Force, Jean is "absolved" of involvement in the atrocities of "The Dark Phoenix" storyline, and she returned in the first issue of X-Factor (1st Series) only to find that the other members of the original X-Men have retired.[20] Jean convinced the retired X-Men to found a new team, X-Factor, to respond to growing anti-mutant sentiment and reused the "Marvel Girl" codename.[20]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom