• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

High Crimes #1 was okay, i might continue, don't really have strong feelings on it.

Trillium #1: I don't want to flip the book over to read the other half, i should just read half the book?

Oh man, you're just totally enjoying this, aren't you?

Poor Stegman is condemned to be on controversial Marvel titles right now. Alonso should just pack it in after 10 issues and replace Inhuman with Winter Soldier instead. Use the character that they should have marketed way more for the Cap movie instead of trying to create hype for the Inhumans when they hit the MCU by 2018 or something.
Yep. It's legitimately hilarious. Why not just launch the book with Stegman, he is a better world building artist, character and action brah. Marvel and their "creative teams." always get me. But Im sure axel will say it was the plan all along to have Stegman start Wolverine and moveover to Inhuman. Im sure it has nothing to do with the dwindling sales of Wolverine. And with this new mini by Charles Soule you know that Cornell is done and Wolverine will be rebooted AGAIN.

These Original Sin future retcons. Oh my heck. Iniect them in my veins, give me an enema, sniff it, snort it, imagine it. I want them now. They need to update this classified bullshit so I can add them to DCBS. I love how this was supposed to be a "personal" event but they are stuffing tie ins like immigrants in an eighteen wheeler. Damn my Cuban heritage. I want to to write a tie in.

Dead

well not really...yet
Got the email yesterday night while out with friends, now I'm having a really bad morning.
Not only was it convenient and having to open the web-browser although there's a "more books" section in the app feels.. "meh", but I'm also a bit paranoid when it comes to "sharing" credit cards, bank data etc. via the internet. I like to keep the number of services I provide with those to an absolute minimum. Whether or not you think that's rational is up to you, but that's how I feel and until now I could do/buyeverything I wanted with just three services (paypal, click&buy, amazon) using that data and I intend to keep it that way.
tried to link my paypal account, but it still keeps asking for a credit card in addition to that?
maybe I'll give in eventually, but for now I'm pissed/let down enough to replace comixology with comiczeal on my homescreen.
I only ever used iTunes gift cards. Sucks but I most likely will never use the service again.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I've always bought my comics from the Comixology website, mainly because creators get paid a larger percentage since Apple isn't taking a cut.
Whoa, but doesn't using the website along with the app completely DESTROY the entire experience and your will to buy comics? Because that's what I'm hearing in here.

thats my point. they obviously srent doing thr inhumans thing to spite fox, or else they would keep the no more mutants status quo, not add more

exactly.

If we're looking at this purely from a film rights standpoint, Fox is not playing ball with Marvel/Disney. So, the logical thing to do would be to keep the "no more mutants" status quo, and keep the X-men at around a couple hundred worldwide or so.

Introduce "inhumans" within the comics as an analogue for mutantkind, and expand this out to the films, so the explanation for random powers isn't "oh, that's a mutant", but "that's an inhuman."

Essentially, Fox has the right to use anything and everything associated with "mutants" no matter WHEN it was created. Shifting focus to "inhumans" which are functionally the same damn thing would be a giant F-U to Fox. This would probably end up pressuring Fox to be more lenient with rights and crossovers.

As it is though, marvel didn't do this- instead choosing to expand two completely distinct but functionally identical superhuman populations at the same time within their comics. From a storyline point of view it sort of makes the panic about inhumans nonsensical, since mutants have been a thing pretty much forever, numbered in the millions only a short time ago, and have returned to their historic numbers within the MU. Joe average wouldn't be able to tell them apart and would probably use the same word for both.

They can't be serious with this Inhuman shit. If any of this half as good as this Frazier Irving joint awhile ago I'll be shocked.

jGHd1FiU8yskn.jpg

Do people really think Amazon is going to change their mind on in-app purchases? They've had the same policy in place for the Kindle App for a really long time now and if they haven't budged there I would be shocked if they were to budge just for comics.

If I make a purchase through the Amazon Store app, does Google/Apple get a cut of that?

If not why can't Amazon make an app or modify the store app to let you make digital purchases that circumvent Google/Apple?

Owzers

Whoa, but doesn't using the website along with the app completely DESTROY the entire experience and your will to buy comics? Because that's what I'm hearing in here.

I actually enjoy reading comics more when buying through the app, I know that by getting paid slightly less, it keeps creators on their toes.

ComiXology will retain its identity as an Amazon subsidiary and we’re not anywhere near done “taking comics further.” We are confident that – with Amazon by our side, who shares our desire for innovation and a relentless focus on customers – we’ve only just begun.
letter from ceo after being bought from Amazon

Taking comics further? Further away from the app!

500x1000px-LL-dd26c13a_576822-sandw.jpeg

Messi

Catwoman. Nocenti. Nosensi. Harley Quinn lovely faces. Catwomans head sucks. Nocenti, fuck GrandHarrier. Digital is messed up. Why can't Ivy have her own series. Nocenti.

Ok, got all my posts in for today. Won't be around much so whenever you feel like reading one of my posts refer back to this post for the time being.

Thanks for understanding.

Lol no kidding.

The only downside is that sometimes on Wednesday, Marvel books are still preorders after 10am so I just would buy through the app, but I can do that through Marvels anyway. No downside here, for me at least.

I think Comixology have really shot themselves in the foot with this ios thing.

30% to apple sucks, but is it really going to compensate for the lack of sales?

I guess someone must of crunched the numbers and decided it works out.

According to a cnet article I read yesterday they are really banking on loyalty. Which to me translates to "we think people are hooked enough on our service that they'll just have to swallow it."

dan2026

According to a cnet article I read yesterday they are really banking on loyalty. Which to me translates to "we think people are hooked enough on our service that they'll just have to swallow it."

They are playing a damn dangerous game then.
Customers are fickle and lazy.

The first rule of business is 'make it as easy as possible for the customer to give you money'.

They should be making it easier for people to buy comics from them, not harder.

At least that is my two cents.

I'm not going to do as many impulse purchases as I did before, but otherwise I'm pretty much okay with buying through the site.
I... I'm not losing my mind am I? It's schway not sway, in Batman Beyond? Does anyone ever say it sway?! Higgins is running my fucking childhood with this slip up!

Edit: It's an
alternate Earth, forgiven.
FtQOaQF.png

Owzers

The first rule of business is 'make it as easy as possible for the customer to give you money'.

They should be making it easier for people to buy comics for them, not harder.

I don't know, outside of hubris, how they think they can remove the app store with their first big move without simultaneously announcing something good for readers and potential readers. It's baffling. Logically the next move within this context would be a storefront on Amazon.com like kindle books have, but those should be paired, and even then that isn't better than what was the previous app.

If I make a purchase through the Amazon Store app, does Google/Apple get a cut of that?

If not why can't Amazon make an app or modify the store app to let you make digital purchases that circumvent Google/Apple?
They did this with the Android comixology app. It has a cart system and credit card/PayPal now. I assume Apple absolutely requires devs to use their IAP.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Wooo. GoHastings finally had another used sale, so I picked up Batman: RIP (deluxe hardcover), Final Crisis (hardcover), All Star Superman, Dan Dare (the Garth Ennis stuff), 300, V for Vendetta, and the book Eisner/Miller (which seems like it'll be pretty neat). All for $55 shipped. I'm very excited. Except it'll probably be ages before I even read any of those because I still have Colossal Conan and like ten other TPBs to read. Yay for comic-buying addiction!

They should be making it easier for people to buy comics from them, not harder.

I just don't buy it. It's EA-style cynicism: the customer NEEDS our product so it doesn't matter how we treat them. That has nothing to do with loyalty. If they really wanted to build loyalty to a level that this change doesn't sink them, they would a) show respect for the customer by providing notice of this change and b) immediately pass along a small amount of the additional profits on to consumers, through lower cover prices or 10% off when you subscribe to new books.

So, it's not really loyalty they're banking on at all. It's just dependence.

it's list time ya fucks

Image Firsts: Manifest Destiny #1
Southern Bastards #1
Silver Surfer #2
Adventure Time 2014 Annual
Vertigo Quarterly #1 (Cyan)

Catwoman. Nocenti. Nosensi. Harley Quinn lovely faces. Catwomans head sucks. Nocenti, fuck GrandHarrier. Digital is messed up. Why can't Ivy have her own series. Nocenti.

Ok, got all my posts in for today. Won't be around much so whenever you feel like reading one of my posts refer back to this post for the time being.

Thanks for understanding.
didn't even make a list smh

Messi

it's list time ya fucks

Image Firsts: Manifest Destiny #1
Southern Bastards #1
Silver Surfer #2
Adventure Time 2014 Annual
Vertigo Quarterly #1 (Cyan)

didn't even make a list smh

Mehssi list o' Quality books
Serenity #4
Furious #4
Batgirl Annual #2
Batman Eternal #4
Batwoman Annual #1
Black Science #6
Chew #41
Deadly Class #4 last chance before drop.
Amazing Spider-man #1
All-New X-Men

MTMTE will (hopefully) be amazing this week. This issue starts the new season in the book with new crew members and
recently turned Autobot Megatron as the captain
. I believe this might be a good jumping on point but I seriously recommend everyone interested to read it from the start.

ABSTRACT STUDIOS
Rachel Rising #25

DARK HORSE COMICS
Serenity Leaves On The Wind #4

DC COMICS
Batman Eternal #4

IDW PUBLISHING
Transformers More Than Meets The Eye #28

IMAGE COMICS
Black Science #6
Chew #41
Deadly Class #4
Southern Bastards #1

MARVEL COMICS
All-New X-Men #26
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Avengers #28
New Avengers #17
Uncanny Avengers Annual #1

dan2026

So, it's not really loyalty they're banking on at all. It's just dependence.

Exactly. Which is why I think they have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.

I do wish them the best though. Digital is the future.

I also have no love for Apple. They can suck my ridges.

Exactly. Which is why I think they have shot themselves in the foot somewhat.
I don't it's going to be that bad. I was forced to go there the first time last year due to apple censoring books for sale. Once I put a little time with it, I ended up liking it better. Worse case if it doesn't work they just put it back in.

The new app needs to add back the ability to view the next comic at the end or allow you to download the next issue if you own it. Same with the Quick jump to the cloud/store for viewing other issues from the issue. Removing these seem pretty dumb.

Quake1028

Deadly Class #4
Southern Bastards #1

All-New X-Men #26
Amazing Spider-Man #1
Avengers #28
Hulk #2
New Avengers #17
Silver Surfer #2
Uncanny Avengers Annual #1
X-Force #4

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Don't quote me but I want to say that he may have been in early Superboy and Legion Lost around the time of "The Culling" event.

Hmm, I read Superboy for a bunch of issues initially, don't remember Danny coming in until CloneSupes started hanging with the Titans, and then I only remember Danny being in an issue or two of that.

Danny is a really awesome and bizarre character/street.

Unai

Comixology just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about the comic books culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in mangas where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in comics, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the comic book fan base, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase comics from comixology anymore, nor will they purchase anything from Amazon. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Comixology has alienated an entire market with this move.

Comixology, publicly apologize and reopen the storefront on iOS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Hmm, I read Superboy for a bunch of issues initially, don't remember Danny coming in until CloneSupes started hanging with the Titans, and then I only remember Danny being in an issue or two of that.

Danny is a really awesome and bizarre character/street.

I liked the concept as someone who hadn't experienced him before. (Doom Patrol was never a series I read) But yeah, like Skitter and then Bunker, he just sort of stopped being around.

Comixology just shot themselves in the foot.

Trying to hard brah.

I don't get the big deal with the whole Comixology thing. I'm on my iphone, I just bookmarked the site in my browser. Now, I just load the site and browse like I normally would. I bought comics yesterday. Once I was done with the transaction I went to the reader app and there they were in my recently purchased tab. It's not that bad.

Messi

I don't get the big deal with the whole Comixology thing. I'm on my iphone, I just bookmarked the site in my browser. Now, I just load the site and browse like I normally would. I bought comics yesterday. Once I was done with the transaction I went to the reader app and there they were in my recently purchased tab. It's not that bad.

The app was super easy to browse and impulse buy comics.

Do you... read them on your iPhone?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
The app was super easy to browse and impulse buy comics.

Wasnt this also a selling point? I always head, that Comixology was such a hit, because it was so easy to buy a comic.

Anyway, as long as they let me free comics through the Marvel Comic App and dont put Comixology Content on the ordinary Amazon resultlist, I am ok with it. Didnt buy there comics, anyway, I am just downloading the free ones.

Messi

When, I read comics digitally, that's all I have. Don't own a tablet.

I impulse bought 8 issues of Batman Beyond yesterday. It's like one extra step of difference. It's not a big deal.

I can't imagine that is a comfortable reading experience. How do you find it?

oh gooooood. I'm sorry to hear that

I'm phone only too. But I'm only an occasional digital buyer; My collection is really, really random.

I can't imagine that is a comfortable reading experience. How do you find it?

It's fine. I just have to turn the phone landscape off and on.

Again, this would be possibly on iOS Devices. I can buy whole Steam Games via Paypal in the Steam app and there is no 30% Split. Amazon just dont care.

Hmm. Well. Dunno then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom