• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| April 2014. Truly, there is no shame in continuing to read awful comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a pretty sweet cover. Was she selling harley prints?

Yeah she did,, they were on a very nice textured type of paper, It was really hard not to buy one,, but it was the end of the day and I had limited money.

I was going to get a 5min sketch from Ryan Stegman ($40) but I was trying to decide between a sketch or 2 Superior Spider-man Prints for $40 ($20 each).. it was pretty funny his wife was like wellllll we will give you a deal.. 2 prints for $20?! Im pretty sure He was exhausted with doing the 5min sketches all day haha it was also like an hour before closing time.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Re: Hawkguy delays, I'm quite happy to wait for what is perhaps some of the greatest comic art ever. Lots of you probably don't remember the bad old days of the mid 00s. Seven Soldiers was months late, All Star Batman was a joke, runs started with a single issue and never continued (Kevin Smith Bullseye, Wildcats got one issue).

I got so used to books being done on Valve time that a month or two of delays can't phase me any more. I'd rather the work be world class and late than on time and mediocre.

So I found that Bendis' Daredevil run has ultimate editions in paperback but so far the deluxe editions of Waid's run is only in hardcover. Is that going to change in the future?

I prefer TPBs rather than HCs if I can help it.

I heard elsewhere that X-23 is showing up in Amazing X-Men when Yost/Kyle take over. Anyone know if that's true?

oh boy. can't wait to see what groundbreaking and not-garbage stories she gets featured in! maybe they'll cut her left foot off this time!

i hope its true, so bendis can be rid of that piece of shit.

Splatt

Re: Hawkguy delays, I'm quite happy to wait for what is perhaps some of the greatest comic art ever. Lots of you probably don't remember the bad old days of the mid 00s. Seven Soldiers was months late, All Star Batman was a joke, runs started with a single issue and never continued (Kevin Smith Bullseye, Wildcats got one issue).

I got so used to books being done on Valve time that a month or two of delays can't phase me any more. I'd rather the work be world class and late than on time and mediocre.

I remember Ultimates 2 delay, goddamn Millar

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

What's the longest delay that you waited for a book that you were reading issue to issue, Jed?

Sandman Overture is delayed as fuck but at least the content is top-notch, so I ain't too concerned.

ReAxion

So, uhh I guess you can still use DC/Marvel apps for IAP and read them in Comixology. Thinking of doing that out of spite for Amazon.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
$5 for an autograph isn't too bad. Especially for somebody I like such as Tony Moore.

It's not about the amount, it's just a gross practice. Let assholes like Mark Hamill charge for autographs at conventions. Actual comics people who are approached by fans, though--fuck off with that.

So I found that Bendis' Daredevil run has ultimate editions in paperback but so far the deluxe editions of Waid's run is only in hardcover. Is that going to change in the future?

I prefer TPBs rather than HCs if I can help it.

The Marvel hierarchy as I understand it:

Premiere Hardcover --> Trade paperback --> Oversized Hardcover --> Omnibus --> Paperback Ultimate Editions/Complete Collections.

Straight-up trades are the only sure-fire release for a series these days. So you'll probably see a Waid Omnibus before the Ultimate Collections.

I went to C2E2 on Saturday. Got a copy of Catwoman #51 signed by Adam Hughes which is pretty cool since she's my favorite character and it's an iconic cover. He charged nothing. Hulk Hogan was charging $100 for an autograph. Absolutely ridiculous.

Best cosplay was seeing Injustice Catwoman and Hawkgirl while I was with my friend who plays Hawkgirl. So we got a picture with our two main characters.

tim1138

I feel like Final Crisis suffered from delays and I know for a fact preN52 Batman Inc did as well.

arkon

It's not about the amount, it's just a gross practice. Let assholes like Mark Hamill charge for autographs at conventions. Actual comics people who are approached by fans, though--fuck off with that.

I guess I just don't see a problem with it. If they're charging and people are willing to pay, fair enough.

I'm not big on the convention-going scene though and don't go in for autographs etc. so what do I know

Wool

What's the longest delay that you waited for a book that you were reading issue to issue, Jed?

Sandman Overture is delayed as fuck but at least the content is top-notch, so I ain't too concerned.

Sandman Overture is next level comics. I've read some other JH Williams stuff, but these first two issues are some of the best art I've seen in anything. Also, the issues are really long. #1 was 36 pages, #2 was 32 pages. It's taking forever to come out, but we have over 3 issues worth of content.

In other news, I'm all caught up on Prophet and Satellite Sam. Does anybody else read either of these? Prophet is really underrated. I think it's my favorite currently ongoing Image book. Satellite Sam has some great comedy.

Messi

I went to C2E2 on Saturday. Got a copy of Catwoman #51 signed by Adam Hughes which is pretty cool since she's my favorite character and it's an iconic cover. He charged nothing. Hulk Hogan was charging $100 for an autograph. Absolutely ridiculous.

Best cosplay was seeing Injustice Catwoman and Hawkgirl while I was with my friend who plays Hawkgirl. So we got a picture with our two main characters.

Are you reading the current Catwoman book?

Filthy Slug

Sandman Overture is next level comics. I've read some other JH Williams stuff, but these first two issues are some of the best art I've seen in anything. Also, the issues are really long. #1 was 36 pages, #2 was 32 pages. It's taking forever to come out, but we have over 3 issues worth of content.

Sure, and one thing I'll say with this delay in comparison to Hawkeye's, there's no real lost momentum. Granted, it's only two issues in, but the way it reads is more like a section in a book, as opposed to the brief chapters in Hawkeye.

But whatever, gotta have that Aja art.

Messi

The Hawkeye delays have killed all it's momentum and I find myself becoming less and less interested in it going forward. Sad because it was a great start.

Filthy Slug

I guess I just don't see a problem with it. If they're charging and people are willing to pay, fair enough.

I'm not big on the convention-going scene though and don't go in for autographs etc. so what do I know

I just think it sets an awful precedent for creator and fan interactions. I understand where you're coming from, totally logical, but if a fan lugs some of his favorite creator's books, which he bought, to a con that he paid to attend, just to say 'what up, love your work, I have a question about this and that, and oh, man, that one page fucking ruled" only to have a paywall thrown between that exchange, it's just sours the experience.

Me personally, I go to NYCC and bring a bookbag filled with my favorite writers'/artists' work and use the signing to both start up a conversation and to have a really cool piece of comics history/memorabilia in my collection.

Good choice. It's real bad.

Yeah I couldn't even follow what was going on in that arc where Selina broke into a vault with some monster in it. Terrible. The first year of New 52 CW wasn't bad. I kept up with it.

I just got volume 3 of Ed Brubaker's CW run. I didn't read them when they were new, volume 1 & 2 were awesome.

Wait so the third Hawkeye trade is going to be all about Kate?

Not sure how I feel about that.

But she took Pizza Dog at the end of the 2nd book so I guess it can be salvaged.

Yeah she did,, they were on a very nice textured type of paper, It was really hard not to buy one,, but it was the end of the day and I had limited money.

I was going to get a 5min sketch from Ryan Stegman ($40) but I was trying to decide between a sketch or 2 Superior Spider-man Prints for $40 ($20 each).. it was pretty funny his wife was like wellllll we will give you a deal.. 2 prints for $20?! Im pretty sure He was exhausted with doing the 5min sketches all day haha it was also like an hour before closing time.
i can understand that, dude busts out crazy good sketches in 5 minutes

kendrid

Banned
Thanks to GAF I just learned that Squirrel Girl exists. Not being a huge comic fan myself I didn't know this.

My daughter loves everything about the furry rodents and she has basically written the backstory of Squirrel Girl. She pretends that she is the master of all squirrels and commands them to fight evil, make lunch, etc.

Are there any books where Squirrel Girls is a 'main' character that are appropriate for a 9 year old?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Thanks to GAF I just learned that Squirrel Girl exists. Not being a huge comic fan myself I didn't know this.

My daughter loves everything about the furry rodents and she has basically written the backstory of Squirrel Girl. She pretends that she is the master of all squirrels and commands them to fight evil, make lunch, etc.

Are there any books where Squirrel Girls is a 'main' character that are appropriate for a 9 year old?

There is a trade called Great Lakes Avengers, this is exactly the comic you're looking for.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Besides the delays killing momentum and all that, Hawkeye is still good though, right? I'm waiting on the oversized hardcover, so the delays and loss of momentum are non-issues for me.

Messi

Besides the delays killing momentum and all that, Hawkeye is still good though, right? I'm waiting on the oversized hardcover, so the delays and loss of momentum are non-issues for me.

Yeah it should read really nicely in HC in 2018

Like Astonishing X-Men and Ultimates before it, it'll read better in that format as one coherent narrative

The current arc has dragged a little, but it feels worse because of the delays honestly. I'm sure it'll be a good read once it's collected.

frye

IM5AU0g.jpg

Nice codpiece, Lex.

I've fallen behind on pretty much all the comics I like, so I'm going to make it a point to read a bunch over the next few weeks. It's time to catch up.

Anyway, my list:

Vertigo
Vertigo Quarterly Cyan - what is this? I don't even...

Black Science #6
Chew #41
Deadly Class #4
Dream Police #1
Southern Bastards #1

Marvel
All-New X-Men #26 - why am I buying this? Close to dropping the series
Amazing Spider-Man #1 - I skipped all of superior, but I'll give PP a shot
Avengers #28 - why am I buying this? Close to dropping the series
New Avengers #17
Silver Surfer #2
Uncanny Avengers Annual #1

Kipp

Yeah it should read really nicely in HC in 2018

Like Astonishing X-Men and Ultimates before it, it'll read better in that format as one coherent narrative

The current arc has dragged a little, but it feels worse because of the delays honestly. I'm sure it'll be a good read once it's collected.

Sweet. Glad to hear it.

Also, am I misremembering, or was it announced that Hawkeye is ending soonish?

I've fallen behind on pretty much all the comics I like, so I'm going to make it a point to read a bunch over the next few weeks. It's time to catch up.

Anyway, my list:

Vertigo
Vertigo Quarterly Cyan - what is this? I don't even...1

Wait, I don't know what this is either, but I think I want it.

JLA Earth 2 had, what I thought, was the definitive panel of Lex Luthor where they show his office.

thciplexluthor.jpg

Besides the Einstein bust, he has no other decorations or furniture, doesn't love anything. He has a giant fuckin' redwood trunk for a desk, because he's just that rich and powerful and he believes there's nothing in the world he can't attain. And he puts himself at the center of it, because he's just that damn arrogant. You see out the window, none of the buildings come close in height, so Lex can look down on everybody("except the alien who flying outside my damn window lookin' down on me")

IDK if Morrison or Quitely came up with the idea, but it was quite clever way to visually introduce a character, I thought.

Filthy Slug

Wait, I don't know what this is either, but I think I want it.

Quarterly short stories from a wealth of creators themed after the the four original print colors. It's a really cool idea, and I'm looking forward to the first installment.

Kipp

The first OHC for Hawkguy had the first two trades in it. I don't even think TPB Vol.3 came out yet, did it?

Nope. It's slated for August 13th. It'll be quite a wait for the second OHC...

JLA Earth 2 had, what I thought, was the definitive panel of Lex Luthor where they show his office.

Besides the Einstein bust, he has no other decorations or furniture, doesn't love anything. He has a giant fuckin' redwood trunk for a desk, because he's just that rich and powerful and he believes there's nothing in the world he can't attain. And he puts himself at the center of it, because he's just that damn arrogant. You see out the window, none of the buildings come close in height, so Lex can look down on everybody("except the alien who flying outside my damn window lookin' down on me")

IDK if Morrison or Quitely came up with the idea, but it was quite clever way to visually introduce a character, I thought.

That's a fantastic analysis of that panel. Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom