• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty - Introducing Last Stand Media (includes new XBOX podcast hosted by MrMattyPlays And Karak)

skit_data

Well articulated concerns about Gamepass by Colin at 24 minutes
Yes, they are some valid points. I understand Jaffe as well even though I think i agree with Colin more about the whole ”free market vs megacorporation used as leverage”-aspect. Pretty much the best conversation I’ve heard in a while on many topics as well. These two make a perfect combination.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well articulated concerns about Gamepass by Colin at 24 minutes

Colins point at 40:07 is certifiably insane. It's something you'd read on a fanboy subreddit by a person who struggles with literacy.

Great conversation though. I'll listen to more of it while doing dishes tomorrow. Jaffe has been on fire the last few weeks.

Shmunter

Colins point at 40:07 is certifiably insane. It's something you'd read on a fanboy subreddit by a person who struggles with literacy.

Great conversation though. I'll listen to more of it while doing dishes tomorrow. Jaffe has been on fire the last few weeks.
What point did he make?

skit_data

What point did he make?
He said that there are games in the PS+ collection that are better than anything that will ever be in Gamepass

I don’t agree with him on that. There are certainly some truly great games from last gen, but some of the best games are missing (except for Bloodborne and God Of War, but thats just my opinion) and I wouldn’t count out MS putting out some real bangers this gen

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Trying to work that out. I know some folks would dig that.
Admittedly, I didn't watch the whole thing since it went on really long, but that interview last month with the Days Gone guy was great. I heard maybe half of it tops.

It's too bad there arent more game interviews by industry people with industry people. Because it's 100x better than random game site dude X doing some shitty 9 question Q&A with a gaming employee, where you know it's going to be softball questions and sucking up for brownie points. And they have zero experience to dig into things only game people would know.

Selfishly speaking, I enjoy hearing the business side of things when it comes to industry discussions. It's like watching on Netflix those shows about Toys That Made Us and that He-Man documentary about their history, money, marketing and shit.

Last edited:

MacReady13

And he seems so fake too.
Years ago when I was getting into podcasts I remember my younger brother telling me to listen to podcast beyond. I started listening and loved that guy Colin but found that other guy Greg so fucking fake. Seemed to me like he was putting it all on and didn’t sound genuine at all.
I started watching some IGN videos and saw more of this guy Greg and just thought he was a complete phony. I kept listening to Beyond only for Colin.
When the guys left IGN to create Kinda Funny I followed and enjoyed it. Still found Greg to be a phony and saw another in their midst as a bullshitter know nothing clown- Tim. But I stayed cause of Colin. He was THE point of difference. Always speaking his mind and seemed the most genuine.
Didn’t take long to realize that after Colin’s completely innocent and innocuous tweet and the aftermath, my mind went straight to those 2 phony assholes and I blamed them for what happened without knowing what happened.

Listening to Colin’s chat with Jaffe the other day (possibly the best podcast conversation I’ve heard) my suspicions were founded. I never liked Greg. Always knew he was a guy more interested in pleasing others to get ahead and throwing friends away to try get ahead. Well fuck him- I joined Colin’s Patreon this week after so long and I’m proud to support the most honest guy in gaming circles (well him and Jaffe). I’ll say one other thing- Jaffe, get a fucking Patreon man! People like me will pledge our support. You’re a great guy and you speak YOUR truth.
Also, loved the near 4 hour chat today with Jaffe and Colin.

xBigBeaz

Neo Member
Trying to work that out. I know some folks would dig that.
That would be great. It would be so much more convenient to listen to on my phone and not have to worry about keeping youtube up. Loved you on Colin’s show and can’t wait to listen to him on your show!

xBigBeaz

Neo Member
Wait, I can't like him as I'm President of the Gettys Appreciation Federation or GAF for short. You'll all feel silly when "A Conversation with Tim" is the highest viewed show on MySpace.
The working title is "Some Shilling with Timmy"
I could never stand Tim. It just seemed like he tried too hard when I listened to KF when they got started. I miss the old Beyond Crew and love what Colin has built with Last Stand Media. It is the only Patreon I have ever and continue to support.

AmuroChan

He said that there are games in the PS+ collection that are better than anything that will ever be in Gamepass

I don’t agree with him on that. There are certainly some truly great games from last gen, but some of the best games are missing (except for Bloodborne and God Of War, but thats just my opinion) and I wouldn’t count out MS putting out some real bangers this gen

I wouldn't say that's certifiably insane though. Is it that impossible that MS never has a game as good as God of War or Bloodborne on GP? It's not a question about old games vs new games. It's about prestige, and both of those games are unanimously acclaimed, generational defining games. Maybe a Starfield or Perfect Dark will be just that, but it's on MS to prove that.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I could never stand Tim. It just seemed like he tried too hard when I listened to KF when they got started. I miss the old Beyond Crew and love what Colin has built with Last Stand Media. It is the only Patreon I have ever and continue to support.
He's as genuine as a $2 bill.

I dont even own an Xbox but I love Defining Duke as they love that ecosystem and are not willing to give free passes when Xbox isn't up to scratch. Surprising to see such honesty in games media. If I do end up with an Xbox it's because of them and no one else. Colin found a great duo for the Xbox crowd.

decisions

Microsoft will never be able to make a game as good as the current crop of PS+ titles on PS5. Complete fanboy nonsense. Jaffe shouldn't have let that point slide.

lol MS just said so themselves in their internal review of TLOU2 from the Epic v. Apple case. We certainly have no evidence they can, they need to prove themselves.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

lol MS just said so themselves in their internal review of TLOU2 from the Epic v. Apple case. We certainly have no evidence they can, they need to prove themselves.

This. I don't understand how that's nonsense. It's a bold statement sure, but it's up to Microsoft to prove that they can make a game that is as good and critically acclaimed as GoW or Bloodborne. Until that happens, his point is perfectly valid.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This. I don't understand how that's nonsense. It's a bold statement sure, but it's up to Microsoft to prove that they can make a game that is as good and critically acclaimed as GoW or Bloodborne. Until that happens, his point is perfectly valid.

Microsoft never said "We'll never make a game as good as TLoU2". It's complete nonsense and an unnatural way to frame the future competition between Sony and Microsoft.

God of War, The Last of Us II, Bloodborne etc have diminished pull today in the market, according to just about every conceivable metric. In 2023...2024..., they'll have considerably less.

Shmunter

Microsoft never said "We'll never make a game as good as TLoU2". It's complete nonsense and an unnatural way to frame the future competition between Sony and Microsoft.

God of War, The Last of Us II, Bloodborne etc have diminished pull today in the market, according to just about every conceivable metric. In 2023...2024..., they'll have considerably less.
Isn’t the next God Of War the biggest single title PS users are waiting for? What diminished pull?!?

AmuroChan

Again, you're arguing something completely different. He's talking purely quality and critical acclaim. He made a statement. It's his opinion. By all means, let Microsoft prove him wrong. Until that happens, there's nothing further to discuss.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Isn’t the next God Of War the biggest single title PS users are waiting for? What diminished pull?!?

Colin said the following...

"There are multiple games on PS+ Collection that are better than anything on GamePass and are better than anything that will ever come to GamePass..."

God of War Ragnarok isn't part of what Colin is talking about. He seems to suggest that GamePass is going to run into problems because...Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn etc...are so good.

The whole conversation is centered around the future of both strategies. It's about the next 5 years.

In 2022 or 2024, the public isn't going to be looking at GamePass and thinking to themselves "This looks good but we're really more interested in God of War 2018, Bloodborne, Spider Man 2018 etc...

Tomorrow's hits are what matter. Not old PS4 games.

Shmunter

Colin said the following...

"There are multiple games on PS+ Collection that are better than anything on GamePass and are better than anything that will ever come to GamePass..."

God of War Ragnarok isn't part of what Colin is talking about. He seems to suggest that GamePass is going to run into problems because...Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn etc...are so good.

The whole conversation is centered around the future of both strategies. It's about the next 5 years.

In 2022 or 2024, the public isn't going to be looking at GamePass and thinking to themselves "This looks good but we're really more interested in God of War 2018, Bloodborne, Spider Man 2018 etc...

Tomorrow's hits are what matter. Not old PS4 games.
Ok, I see what you mean. Colin did speculate that he sees the 20 collection getting updated periodically. But who knows.

ZehDon

Again, you're arguing something completely different. He's talking purely quality and critical acclaim. He made a statement. It's his opinion. By all means, let Microsoft prove him wrong. Until that happens, there's nothing further to discuss.
Well said. I think the statement Colin made is a little hyperbolic, but from his individual perspective, it's probably true. And, it's hard to argue against frankly. Microsoft's output this past generation was been incredibly lacking, while Sony has released hit after hit after hit, even if not all of them are to my particular taste. From my point of view, if Microsoft really want to prove their Gamepass model is the future, they need deliver the kind of industry defining titles that the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 did. Sony's proven their model four generations in a row. Ball's in Microsoft's court.

skit_data

I wouldn't say that's certifiably insane though. Is it that impossible that MS never has a game as good as God of War or Bloodborne on GP? It's not a question about old games vs new games. It's about prestige, and both of those games are unanimously acclaimed, generational defining games. Maybe a Starfield or Perfect Dark will be just that, but it's on MS to prove that.
No it’s definitely not insane to suggest this might be the case but I think it’s too early to make a definitive statement on the subject.

I agree that's its about this generation of games and as of now neither studio has released a "God of War" level game yet. Sony has earned the trust and Microsoft has not but to make a blanket statement that there has never and will never be a game on gamepass as good as God of War is just wrong. If we are talking past generations of games and using critical acclaim and wide spread appeal as our barometers than gamepass already has that in Halo 1 2 and 3. And if those don't count because they're old then I really don't think we should be using bloodebourne or God of War either.

AmuroChan

If we are talking past generations of games and using critical acclaim and wide spread appeal as our barometers than gamepass already has that in Halo 1 2 and 3. And if those don't count because they're old then I really don't think we should be using bloodebourne or God of War either.

But it's not "we" who were discussing this topic or defining the criteria. Him and Jaffe were just having a casual conversation on a live stream. It's not like this was some IGN published article stating definitively that MS will never make a game as good as GoW.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And it's also in line with recent evidence. There hasn't been a truly great masterpiece Xbox AAA game in years now (except perhaps Forza).

Last edited:

Shmunter

Saw this also, a preamble to the Colin collaboration….recommended.

Im not finished due to length, but a decent way through.

I’m surprised the basic notion of Colin being under attack from left media and woke SJW’s hasn’t been brought up. It is Simple - he doesn’t tow the line. A free thinker looking to explore difficult issues as opposed to blindly joining the chorus. A Moderate, to right leaning intelligent person is a threat to an ideology built on a house of cards and therefore must be expunged for the risk he poses to expose.

Accusations of racism, misogyny and transphobia are part of the playbook to shut down conversation that is not inline with the dogma.

We look to Gina Carano, Pierce Morgan, countless others. Even Jaffe is accused of such by the intolerant authoritarians.

What amazes me is davidjaffe davidjaffe continued self flagellation of proclaiming all white people are racist. I cannot fathom any critical thinker ever coming to such a conclusion, essentially embracing the exact weapon that is being wielded to bring him down.

There is no end to wokeness till the snake eats it’s tail. It consumes the essence of humanity inch by inch a bite at a time.

Mods, I’m aware of the new site rules on political discourse. If this post goes again the terms, delete and give me the measured penalty.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Anyone else Jackie Chan WTF meme when Colin is talking about cross gen games on the podcast? He thinks Sony shouldn't have released the PS5 yet. Totally ignores PS5 record sales and how dumb it would be to give Series X a 10+ million unit lead (Hello Peter Moore). Then he says Jade Raymond's new studio and Firewalk Studios games are going to be cross gen? Both studios games are late 2023 at the earliest.

Guy has some truly awful takes.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Anyone else Jackie Chan WTF meme when Colin is talking about cross gen games on the podcast? He thinks Sony shouldn't have released the PS5 yet. Totally ignores PS5 record sales and how dumb it would be to give Series X a 10+ million unit lead (Hello Peter Moore). Then he says Jade Raymond's new studio and Firewalk Studios games are going to be cross gen? Both studios games are late 2023 at the earliest.

Guy has some truly awful takes.
I agree with this. The take that PS5 shouldn't have been released is just 100% moronic. The quality of the games on the console justify its release and this PS5 lineup has been miles better than what PS4 had in the same time frame.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Looks like a near 5-hour epic

christian bale kiss GIF by Hollywood Suite

elliot5

i don't listen to Defining Duke too often, but holy fuck.

Karak makes some good reviews and is fairly eloquent, but his little spiel about Halo being F2P and it's always been F2P because you didn't pay extra for it with the $60 games prior made my head hurt.

Last edited:
Top Bottom