• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty - Introducing Last Stand Media (includes new XBOX podcast hosted by MrMattyPlays And Karak)

Take a chill pill and go to bed.

toss rage GIF by South Park

I hope that you achieve some kind of success and stop thinking this way. I truly wish you that.

Also, 30k/ month is nothing.

$30K is quite a decent amount, especially compared to most of the USA but I'm glad Colin makes a lot of money and you help him. I'm definitely not THAT successful but I'm doing very well for myself. Again, you are directly paying this man's bills. It's a cuck thing.

Last edited:
$30K is quite a decent amount, especially compared to most of the USA but I'm glad Colin makes a lot of money and you help him. I'm definitely not THAT successful but I'm doing very well for myself. Again, you are directly paying this man's bills. It's a cuck thing.
By posting this here you're automatically a cuck and pay EvilLore's bills. Enjoy being a cuck, you cuck.

Well in a sense, isn't someone else also "paying your bills"? I don't know your profession, but usually in trade economies people pay for services.

Colin makes entertaiment which the Patreon subs pay for. Just like people who buy video games (yes most people pay for them) to be entertained.

So in your logic buying an indie game which was made by a person makes you a cuck?

Why do you waste your energy by commenting in such a way in this topic?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Recent (still unsubstantiated) rumors indicate Sony may be considering a full shutdown of its digital stores for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, and -- perhaps most tragically -- PlayStation Vita. While we don't yet know what Sony's plans are (if any!), such a possibility raises a lot of interesting philosophical and practical questions, particularly this one: Who's watching out for the digital-only games that may be lost to history? Today, let's delve deep into the PSN, the digital ecosystem more widely, and the industry's history of piracy-for-good, as well as rampant piracy-for-piracy's-sake. Right or wrong, is it the only way we'll have access to many games in the future? Plus: News! Housemarque's Returnal has gone gold, a Ghost of Tsushima film is in the early stages, Media Molecule's Studio Director is receiving a very prestigious award, and more. Then: Listener inquiries! What did we think about Six Days in Fallujah's gameplay reveal, and the new fiasco(s) that came about as a result? Where are the PlayStation 5 firmware updates? Should Sony seek a partnership with Google's Stadia? Will Colin ever one time comprehend a technical question?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

The words are hard to type, but they must be typed nonetheless: Sony is pulling the plug on PlayStation Vita. Beginning in late August, you won't be able to buy any games anymore (though you'll still be able to download what you own). The same goes for PlayStation 3, though its ignominious date comes even sooner, in early July. Thus, we are left with more questions than answers, and a lot of emotion, too. And so we spend a lot of time talking about the PlayStation Store shutdowns for these platforms (and PSP) this week, and work through all of the philosophical, commercial, and other relevant ramifications that this major move presents. Other news this episode involves fresh PlayStation Plus games, an unfortunate AAA delay, more nonsense from CD Projekt, and much more, and we round it all out -- as we always do -- with questions, comments, concerns, thoughts, and ideas from the audience. What's the best time to play during any given title's day/night cycle? Which games would be best for someone new to the shooter genre? Is there any hope for relationship co-op, or will the likes of Overcooked forever ruin love? If you were offered $1,000, would you eat a random person's boogers?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Colin mentioned something recently about how some (I think studio?) the video game company he bought wanted to work with Colin’s company on a game and they sent Colin’s partner and email and said they didn’t want their name associated with his so they were hoping they could block it out in the credits or something.

Colin terminated the project, and told them to go fuck themselves.

The video game industry has treated Colin horribly and for no reason. Merely because the guy leans conservative. It’s insane and he’s a good guy who deserves none of it. I don’t know what it is about the video game industry but there’s so many petty, angry, nasty, and vindictive people. There’s also a lot of really cool and good people too, but there seems to be so much more of the former in comparison to other industries.
The video game industry attracts beta males like a moths to flame. That is your answer.

MacReady13

2016 Election Colin is still my fav Colin. Wish he’d get into politics more on SS but I get that it’s game focused.

Look how pissed Gettys looks. What a bitch 🤣

It's funny cause, apart from Colin, the other guys have ZERO ideas on anything related to politics. Makes me laugh how they were trying to get political this last election but come across looking like complete phony idiots who had no idea what they were talking about except for spewing forth the same media rhetoric in regards to the 2020 election. They miss Colin so much on that shit site, and I'm so happy for Colin that he left and is having more success without those fake ass fuckers.

Enjay

Banned
The words are hard to type, but they must be typed nonetheless: Sony is pulling the plug on PlayStation Vita. Beginning in late August, you won't be able to buy any games anymore (though you'll still be able to download what you own). The same goes for PlayStation 3, though its ignominious date comes even sooner, in early July. Thus, we are left with more questions than answers, and a lot of emotion, too. And so we spend a lot of time talking about the PlayStation Store shutdowns for these platforms (and PSP) this week, and work through all of the philosophical, commercial, and other relevant ramifications that this major move presents. Other news this episode involves fresh PlayStation Plus games, an unfortunate AAA delay, more nonsense from CD Projekt, and much more, and we round it all out -- as we always do -- with questions, comments, concerns, thoughts, and ideas from the audience. What's the best time to play during any given title's day/night cycle? Which games would be best for someone new to the shooter genre? Is there any hope for relationship co-op, or will the likes of Overcooked forever ruin love? If you were offered $1,000, would you eat a random person's boogers?
Great humor. Great essay just to say "ps3 and vita storrs are closing."

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

"Journalism is broken, full-stop. Not just enthusiast press; journalism, generally. The evidence is all around us. What's interesting, though, is that its breakdown may have at least partially begun in our very own industry, and that's perhaps why today's games media is completely unrecognizable when compared to five years ago, no less 10 or 20. To talk through what's happening out there, I (Colin!) invited Nick Calandra on the show. Nick is the newest Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist, a website that's trying to make its way in a world where a never-ending game of musical chairs gives those who can succeed fewer and fewer places to sit. So, let's discuss the decay, its provenance, and what (if anything) can be done to fix what's so obviously in staggering disrepair."

This should be a cool discussion. Giving it a listen now.

"Journalism is broken, full-stop. Not just enthusiast press; journalism, generally. The evidence is all around ius. What's interesting, though, is that its breakdown may have at least partially begun in our very own industry, and that's perhaps why today's games media is completely unrecognizable when compared to five years ago, no less 10 or 20. To talk through what's happening out there, I (Colin!) invited Nick Calandra on the show. Nick is the newest Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist, a website that's trying to make its way in a world where a never-ending game of musical chairs gives those who can succeed fewer and fewer places to sit. So, let's discuss the decay, its provenance, and what (if anything) can be done to fix what's so obviously in staggering disrepair."

really want to listen to this. Colin is one of the few journalists today who tells it like it is .

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

"Journalism is broken, full-stop. Not just enthusiast press; journalism, generally. The evidence is all around us. What's interesting, though, is that its breakdown may have at least partially begun in our very own industry, and that's perhaps why today's games media is completely unrecognizable when compared to five years ago, no less 10 or 20. To talk through what's happening out there, I (Colin!) invited Nick Calandra on the show. Nick is the newest Editor-in-Chief of The Escapist, a website that's trying to make its way in a world where a never-ending game of musical chairs gives those who can succeed fewer and fewer places to sit. So, let's discuss the decay, its provenance, and what (if anything) can be done to fix what's so obviously in staggering disrepair."

Gonna listen to it but wanted to give my take before I do.

The rise of streamers and influencers combined with stuff like ad block just murdered the "traditional" field of games journalism. Publishers would rather partner with someone they know is going to talk about their game in a positive way that has a huge reach vs an outlet that will be more honest and while they might have a larger outreach than a single content creator, the amount of people the influencer will reach in a positive way far out weighs the outlet.

Mid size and smaller outlets stood zero chance.

This resulted in large outlets looking everywhere they could to make up lost revenue and resulted in far more clickbait than ever before. Its not even news anymore. The news cycle is basically dead. If a publisher wants to get the word out they dont need outlets anymore. They simply push it out the way they see fit.

HotPocket69

Banned
It’s shocking to me that places like Giant Bomb are still around. They can’t possibly be pulling in that much revenue.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It’s shocking to me that places like Giant Bomb are still around. They can’t possibly be pulling in that much revenue.
They pioneered video/casting and the premium thing but other people did it better. Having a website as their center hurt them much more than it helped them in the long run as channels centered on YouTube benefitted from the network effects. But what really did them in is that they're older dudes who lost a step after Ryan died and have been going downhill ever since. I could go into how they had one foot in influencer and the other in the older game journalism clique but I don't know how much of the politics affects anything.

As much as I like the Escapist content they're in a similar situation to Giant Bomb where outside of Yahtzee their personalities aren't that compelling and they get thrashed on YouTube by randos making the same type of content. I like their 3 minute reviews of Indy games, however their views are an order of magnitude lower than some guy playing random Indy games he was paid to play

Part of the problem is that if you don't get viewers dedicated enough to give you money directly there's just too many channels for content to support a large outlet.

Ah man. I actually just let my subscription lapse for the first time in years.

The thing with GiantBomb was that they for the most part pioneered the long form video content when it came to games. Quick Looks weren’t really a thing back then and most video content was short form and less then 10 minutes. They also had personalities on the site, and with their experience in the industry had opinions you didn’t really find elsewhere. Premium was also kind of not done as much as it is now with twitch and YouTube subs, patroon, etc.

COVID really killed the site for me. They barely put out any content nowadays, and most of it is boring anyways. This all really sucks because I have a ton of good memories with giantbomb. I started listening in 2012 and fell in love (and I even liked Patrick since he did the horror quick looks which content like that was harder to find), went through the Ryan passing away stage, and ultimately the second “golden age” when Dan came around. That is actually my favorite era of Giant Bomb and i think Dan leaving and the split into east/west (and Dan moving to east) were the start of the downfall.

Stuff like Metal Gear Scanlon, Mario Party Party, Mario Maker streams, Endurance Runs of Shenmue and Personaand the older quick looks were amazing and the best content they put out IMO and most just happened to have Dan. There was great chemistry you don’t generally find.

Sorry for the long post but I have a lot of good memories with them and it’s sad so see them in the current state. I still listen to the Bombcast and ultimately Bombcast and old Podcast Beyond are my favorite podcasts of all time Which is why I love that we have the current lineup and content from Last Stand.

Roufianos

Giant Bombcast is actually a damn good listen. I can't stand their politics, especially O'Dwyer's, but credit where it's due.

Shai-Tan

Banned

The thing with GiantBomb was that they for the most part pioneered the long form video content when it came to games. Quick Looks weren’t really a thing back then and most video content was short form and less then 10 minutes. They also had personalities on the site, and with their experience in the industry had opinions you didn’t really find elsewhere. Premium was also kind of not done as much as it is now with twitch and YouTube subs, patroon, etc.

COVID really killed the site for me. They barely put out any content nowadays, and most of it is boring anyways. This all really sucks because I have a ton of good memories with giantbomb. I started listening in 2012 and fell in love (and I even liked Patrick since he did the horror quick looks which content like that was harder to find), went through the Ryan passing away stage, and ultimately the second “golden age” when Dan came around. That is actually my favorite era of Giant Bomb and i think Dan leaving and the split into east/west (and Dan moving to east) were the start of the downfall.

Stuff like Metal Gear Scanlon, Mario Party Party, Mario Maker streams, Endurance Runs of Shenmue and Personaand the older quick looks were amazing and the best content they put out IMO and most just happened to have Dan. There was great chemistry you don’t generally find.

Sorry for the long post but I have a lot of good memories with them and it’s sad so see them in the current state. I still listen to the Bombcast and ultimately Bombcast and old Podcast Beyond are my favorite podcasts of all time Which is why I love that we have the current lineup and content from Last Stand.

I liked Patrick too and his journalism at the time was good (haven't followed him since - not that interested in the axe grinding from others about it). I think the East-West split was a bigger issue because it spread their good personalities too thin.

I don't listen to podcasts about games anymore which leaves me wondering about how much of it is aging out of the demographic. For me games media is just a way to quickly learn about what games are out there. That's the only reason I sub to the GB YouTube channel (among many others). I'm far more likely to skip through than listen to anyone's schtick

I liked Patrick too and his journalism at the time was good (haven't followed him since - not that interested in the axe grinding from others about it). I think the East-West split was a bigger issue because it spread their good personalities too thin.

I don't listen to podcasts about games anymore which leaves me wondering about how much of it is aging out of the demographic. For me games media is just a way to quickly learn about what games are out there. That's the only reason I sub to the GB YouTube channel (among many others). I'm far more likely to skip through than listen to anyone's schtick
Part of the reason I like/liked GB was because they skewed a little older. When I started listening I was 21 but as I’ve gotten older I’ve appreciated their older perspective on things. If the content was there then I’d still sub.

n0body

Banned

Couldnt agree more re: second 'Golden Age'. The content almost seemed effortless and the dynamic between them all was so well balanced when Dan came into the mix.

Honourable mention for the E3 coverage also. The nightime streams had me in tears with laughter at points.

Bryank75

Banned
Was colin ever here? He doesn't seem like a forum guy to me. Anyway I'm sure Karak can pass on the love from neogaf.
He was here once back before the 2017 thing but he swore he wouldn't come back because of the types that were here back then. You know....

Top Bottom