• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin Moriarty - Introducing Last Stand Media (includes new XBOX podcast hosted by MrMattyPlays And Karak)

Episode #4 is out on YouTube

Xbox Live Isn't So Gold | Defining Duke: An Xbox Podcast, Episode 4

0:00:00 - Intro
0:07:23 - Why does Hitman have terrible animations and faces?
0:13:51 - With the current rumors, what other Xbox exclusives could we see this year?
0:18:48 - How do you feel about pizza?
0:23:02 - The Medium Review Discussion
0:47:20 - Xbox tried to increase the price of Xbox Gold. It didn’t work.
1:01:16 - Will GamePass last the generation?
1:02:16 - Is Knights of the Old Republic coming back?
1:18:10 - Should we worry about the quality for Star Wars games going down?
1:20:18 - Microsoft shows big earnings - how much was due to Xbox?
1:26:02 - The Xbox share features are still underwhelming.
1:28:26 - Halo Infinite will deliver development updates every month between now and release.
1:30:54 - Jade Empire needs to return!
1:32:49 - Season 3 Sea of Thieves has arrived!
1:35:29 - Game Pass Picks of the Week
1:41:22 - PC Deals of the Week
1:43:37 - Backwards Compatibility Pick of the Week
1:47:21 - What are our recommendations for games that ARE NOT on GamePass?
1:50:17 - Why is Ubisoft burying their games underneath their other games?
1:54:23 - How does negative Cyberpunk 2077 coverage impact future celebrity involvement in games?
1:59:06 - Why do some games have bad PC ports?
2:01:51 - Will we see an Xbox handheld?

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Episode #4 is out on YouTube

Xbox Live Isn't So Gold | Defining Duke: An Xbox Podcast, Episode 4

0:07:23 - Why does Hitman have terrible animations and faces?
0:13:51 - With the current rumors, what other Xbox exclusives could we see this year?
0:18:48 - How do you feel about pizza?
0:23:02 - The Medium Review Discussion
0:47:20 - Xbox tried to increase the price of Xbox Gold. It didn’t work.
1:01:16 - Will GamePass last the generation?
1:02:16 - Is Knights of the Old Republic coming back?
1:18:10 - Should we worry about the quality for Star Wars games going down?
1:20:18 - Microsoft shows big earnings - how much was due to Xbox?
1:26:02 - The Xbox share features are still underwhelming.
1:28:26 - Halo Infinite will deliver development updates every month between now and release.
1:30:54 - Jade Empire needs to return!
1:32:49 - Season 3 Sea of Thieves has arrived!
1:35:29 - Game Pass Picks of the Week
1:41:22 - PC Deals of the Week
1:43:37 - Backwards Compatibility Pick of the Week
1:47:21 - What are our recommendations for games that ARE NOT on GamePass?
1:50:17 - Why is Ubisoft burying their games underneath their other games?
1:54:23 - How does negative Cyberpunk 2077 coverage impact future celebrity involvement in games?
1:59:06 - Why do some games have bad PC ports?
2:01:51 - Will we see an Xbox handheld?

A dense video here

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Very good Xbox podcast and one of the five that I watch every week.

It's this time of the week again. Episode 5 is out on YouTube.

0:09:50 - The XBS controller and UI didn’t change. How do we feel about that?
0:13:08 - Are there mediocre Xbox games that should get a sequel?
0:16:33 - Was the marketing and advertising for The Medium misleading?
0:23:15 - What is our policy on spoilers?
0:30:11 - Are there other Microsoft exclusives for 2021 that haven’t been announced yet?
0:40:55 - Mass Effect Remastered has been confirmed.
0:58:16 - MLB The Show comes to Xbox on April 20th.
1:07:31 - Stadia is dead. Does Microsoft win the game streaming wars now?
1:15:34 - Microsoft is making moves to close the Zenimax acquisition deal.
1:24:33 - Bleeding Edge will no longer receive content updates.
1:27:20 - Xbox is bringing another exclusive to Game Pass.
1:29:43 - Drew Murray has left The Initiative.
1:32:20 - Game Pass Picks of the Week
1:37:40 - Backwards Compatibility Picks of the Week.
1:45:24 - PC Deals of the Week
1:50:16 - Do we want to go back to the Blades UI?
1:54:14 - Will we ever see a return to Titanfall?
1:58:08 - Is Blue Dragon worth playing? What other older RPGs should you play?
2:06:07 - How does someone make it as a content creator?
2:15:33 - Are developers learning how to make games perform better on Xbox?

GrayFoxPL

It's this time of the week again. Episode 5 is out on YouTube.

0:09:50 - The XBS controller and UI didn’t change. How do we feel about that?
0:13:08 - Are there mediocre Xbox games that should get a sequel?
0:16:33 - Was the marketing and advertising for The Medium misleading?
0:23:15 - What is our policy on spoilers?
0:30:11 - Are there other Microsoft exclusives for 2021 that haven’t been announced yet?
0:40:55 - Mass Effect Remastered has been confirmed.
0:58:16 - MLB The Show comes to Xbox on April 20th.
1:07:31 - Stadia is dead. Does Microsoft win the game streaming wars now?
1:15:34 - Microsoft is making moves to close the Zenimax acquisition deal.
1:24:33 - Bleeding Edge will no longer receive content updates.
1:27:20 - Xbox is bringing another exclusive to Game Pass.
1:29:43 - Drew Murray has left The Initiative.
1:32:20 - Game Pass Picks of the Week
1:37:40 - Backwards Compatibility Picks of the Week.
1:45:24 - PC Deals of the Week
1:50:16 - Do we want to go back to the Blades UI?
1:54:14 - Will we ever see a return to Titanfall?
1:58:08 - Is Blue Dragon worth playing? What other older RPGs should you play?
2:06:07 - How does someone make it as a content creator?
2:15:33 - Are developers learning how to make games perform better on Xbox?

Karak on The Medium:

It's basically find the item game from a mobile device, but there's only one item per room.
Freezing Steve Martin GIF

VAL0R

Banned
They mention some listeners complaining about their swearing and I'm totally one of those guys who finds it annoying. You shouldn't have to resort to repeated cussing to express your views in an intelligent conversation. It sounds ignorant and juvenile. That said, this is one of my preferred gaming podcasts at the moment.

Roufianos

They mention some listeners complaining about their swearing and I'm totally one of those guys who finds it annoying. You shouldn't have to resort to repeated cussing to express your views in an intelligent conversation. It sounds ignorant and juvenile. That said, this is one of my preferred gaming podcasts at the moment.

Let them articulate themselves how they please. I'll take authentic passion over Kinda Funny corporate shilling any day. People swear, get over it.

Thankfully the feedback on Patreon and Discord has shown that you're in a minority.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think you're both right. Swearing often comes off as unnecessary and even distracting, but I wouldn't want to censor the speakers or micromanage their use of language.

So far, while I think this podcast has a lot of potential, I haven't been able to get through an episode. I'm going to attribute that to there just being a lack of news, and look forward to future episodes.

Last edited:

Excess

Colin blocked me on Twitter a few years ago for making fun of libertarians.

I wish him the best, though. Games media needs people that challenge the current orthodox.

Jebron

I've listened to Colin's podcasts for years (back to when Him and Greg were at IGN). I like the guy, and Chris is also great.

I decided to give the new Beyond podcast a listen, and I was so disappointed. The overall awareness of the industry, the relatively objective opinions, and the way Colin isn't afraid to tackle some difficult subjects makes listening to other gaming podcasts quite tough. I got two episodes into Beyond and just couldn't do it anymore, the hosts are awful in comparison. Yesterday, after all three hosts on Beyond didn't know what Smart Delivery was in the most recent episode, I just turned it off and deleted the podcast episodes.

Sausy1987

Ya I do a lot driving and need a lot of podcasts and I find myself consistently throwing my eyes upto the sky if it isn't anyone under the CLS umbrella talking . Lack of knowledge or opinion is shocking .

Bryank75

Banned
I've listened to Colin's podcasts for years (back to when Him and Greg were at IGN). I like the guy, and Chris is also great.

I decided to give the new Beyond podcast a listen, and I was so disappointed. The overall awareness of the industry, the relatively objective opinions, and the way Colin isn't afraid to tackle some difficult subjects makes listening to other gaming podcasts quite tough. I got two episodes into Beyond and just couldn't do it anymore, the hosts are awful in comparison. Yesterday, after all three hosts on Beyond didn't know what Smart Delivery was in the most recent episode, I just turned it off and deleted the podcast episodes.
IGN PlayStation coverage has never been the same since Colin left. Actually they lost a lot of contacts and privileges after they falsely reported that TLG was cancelled.... I think Butts was responsible for that.

I like Dornbush, he does decent reviews and seems like a nice guy and even Lucy has lightened up a bit but most of them consider themselves as internet personalities or present themselves as that more than gaming enthusiasts or professionals. As you say, their knowledge is lacking in many areas and often they don't even seem that enthusiastic about PlayStation. That is in contrast to the Xbox podcast Unlocked.... where Ryan seems to have unfettered access to Xbox executives and reps. Ryan and the other hosts of Unlocked are also super enthusiastic and go to bat for Xbox as a brand but don't shy away from calling things out when needed...to better the brand.

But I personally find Colin and Mystic (Ryan) have the best PlayStation podcasts / videos. Chris is too much of an Xbox guy sometimes and has less to say than I'd like a co-host to say usually though...it's an area they could improve in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

The Beyond hosts are robots. It's just them saying "I like thing. Do you like thing too? Yeah, thing is fun."

CitizenZ

Banned
Was this the remember when/ If podcast. I mean seriously, if there was a way to think of another hobby its looking at the entire discussion.

Roufianos

Discussion on Beyond is very surface level, they never say anything insightful. I stopped listening around 6 months ago.

Reindeer

So a Nazi looking white guy teams up with another two white guys, one that suspiciously looks like a Biker Nazi. I can see someone at another forum being quite upset at this proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiNeMz

Banned
I don't own an Xbox but I really enjoy Matty and ACG. They have a good chemistry happening and as many have said. They aren't fanboys and not scared or be critical. I think it's been a great move for Colin to expand the name. Good moves people's. The last stand podcasts are now my primary unmissables. The only others ones I do add are ACGs and Ham Radio. Everything else is woke pathetic San Francisco takes.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Why are the kinda funny crew like 12 year olds who are on mega sugar rush every time they do a podcast , it's cringe . The Xbox podcast crew are ok but rest them are like giddy children .
Probably because that's how they got to where they are now. I've heard Greg say the KF fanbase "skews older", but I'm highly skeptical. Seems more like it's a show for young teens.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
When he got influencer of the year a few years back on Keighley's show, Greg made a speech praising some random Square Enix employee (a tribute to the behind the scenes) of a Tomb Raider game. It's fairly cringe. A few years prior he said in front of Camilla Luddington to Google her naked during his IGN interview. He is a sad sack.

Is this the Greg and Kinda Funny discussion thread or something?

I would suggest that they do something so that when I search for "last stand media", it brings up all 3 podcasts. I think generally (at least what IGN has confirmed) that most people listen to podcasts rather than watch the videos of them, so it'd be good if they had more discoverability.

Karak

I don't own an Xbox but I really enjoy Matty and ACG. They have a good chemistry happening and as many have said. They aren't fanboys and not scared or be critical. I think it's been a great move for Colin to expand the name. Good moves people's. The last stand podcasts are now my primary unmissables. The only others ones I do add are ACGs and Ham Radio. Everything else is woke pathetic San Francisco takes.
My thanks I am glad you are digging it

Last edited:
I used to listen to like 5 video game pods a week. I was listening to KF, Xcast, podcast unlocked and a couple of others. Defining duke is now the only video game pod I listen too.

I actually here original takes on the show which no where else did. As much I love Gary whitta every other show is a mainstream echo chamber. Meanwhile acg has given me game recs and opinions I would have never thought of. Love the pod. Although I do think they should alternate back compat and game pass pics of the weeks other wise they will run out.

Karak

I used to listen to like 5 video game pods a week. I was listening to KF, Xcast, podcast unlocked and a couple of others. Defining duke is now the only video game pod I listen too.

I actually here original takes on the show which no where else did. As much I love Gary whitta every other show is a mainstream echo chamber. Meanwhile acg has given me game recs and opinions I would have never thought of. Love the pod. Although I do think they should alternate back compat and game pass pics of the weeks other wise they will run out.
THANK YOU on that last bit. I am already running out lol

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Colin mentioned something recently about how some (I think studio?) the video game company he bought wanted to work with Colin’s company on a game and they sent Colin’s partner and email and said they didn’t want their name associated with his so they were hoping they could block it out in the credits or something.

Colin terminated the project, and told them to go fuck themselves.

The video game industry has treated Colin horribly and for no reason. Merely because the guy leans conservative. It’s insane and he’s a good guy who deserves none of it. I don’t know what it is about the video game industry but there’s so many petty, angry, nasty, and vindictive people. There’s also a lot of really cool and good people too, but there seems to be so much more of the former in comparison to other industries.

Colin mentioned something recently about how some (I think studio?) the video game company he bought wanted to work with Colin’s company on a game and they sent Colin’s partner and email and said they didn’t want their name associated with his so they were hoping they could block it out in the credits or something.

Colin terminated the project, and told them to go fuck themselves.

The video game industry has treated Colin horribly and for no reason. Merely because the guy leans conservative. It’s insane and he’s a good guy who deserves none of it. I don’t know what it is about the video game industry but there’s so many petty, angry, nasty, and vindictive people. There’s also a lot of really cool and good people too, but there seems to be so much more of the former in comparison to other industries.
That's why it's so cool that even against the hatred he faces his channel has grown the biggest gaming channel on Patreon 💪🏻

Sausy1987

I basically discovered karak & matty through CLS and I'm so happy I did because both are highly knowledgeable and have great voices listen to.

Both Sacred symbols , both defining dukes & Since karak and Matty joined Iv added Ham radio to my favorite podcast rotation .

I also listen to podcast unlocked kinda funny xcast, giant bomb & minnmax ( Iv flirted with ditching the latter ) I'm very close to ditching podcast beyond for same reasons outlined above

I ditched easy allies lately & really can't bear listen to PS I love you much cos of who does be on it 😅

Another week, another episode

0:12:58 - What’s going on with WB Montreal?
0:18:32 - Will Rare share their IPs?
0:24:49 - Have Matty and Karak loved any games that everyone else hates?
0:32:47 - Any fun exercise activities?
0:41:21 - Why are brussel sprouts the best vegetable?
0:47:59 - Will Microsoft buy Discord?
1:06:22 - The next-gen Avengers update works smoothly on Xbox.
1:15:51 - Xbox has announced their ID @ Xbox Showcase.
1:27:06 - Xbox Live is now Xbox Network.
1:34:28 - Mech Warrior 5 will be released on Xbox consoles May 27th.
1:39:26 - NieR: Automata runs better on Game Pass for PC than other PC versions.
1:43:31 - Bloober Team is putting out physical releases for The Medium and Observer.
1:46:18 - Atlus will continue to bring ports of their games to other platforms.
1:47:55 - Fallout 76 continues to update their roadmap.
1:51:10 - Game Pass Picks of the Week
2:01:53 - Backwards Compatibility Picks of the Week.
2:11:26 - PC Deals of the Week
2:15:04 - Mario Rabbids or Gears Tactics?
2:23:25 - So how does backwards compatibility work anyway?
2:28:10 - What Xbox 360 games should I get for my collection?
2:33:32 - Are there must-play Xbox exclusive games that I missed since Halo 3?
2:37:21 - Is it wrong to use HowLongToBeat?

Karak Karak keep up the good work!

That's why it's so cool that even against the hatred he faces his channel has grown the biggest gaming channel on Patreon 💪🏻

This is pretty cringe, are you actually bragging for someone else right now?

"Against the hatred he faces" lmao dude makes like 30 grand a month. Colin doesn't care about you. He doesn't care about gamers, and he doesn't care about the environment.

Top Bottom