• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chick-fil-A testing Family Style Meals and new sides

slit

If that's your stance shouldn't you also be okay with people wanting to voice support for their chicken sandwich place against a boycott, especially in a thread about new menu items?

I'm fine with it but still a little interested in the thought process behind caring about a corporation that sells chicken and supports bigotry. Even if you like eating there, It seems borderline neurotic to come to their defense and feel offended by others who criticize them for it.

I'm fine with it but still a little interested in the thought process behind caring about a corporation that sells chicken and supports bigotry. Even if you like eating there, It seems borderline neurotic to come to their defense.

No you aren't. I had a whole post about it that boiled down to you responding to talk about it somewhere else.

Ketkat

No you aren't. I had a whole post about it that boiled down to you responding to talk about it somewhere else.

Do you really not see why LGBT people might bring this up whenever people are bragging about how great chic-fil-a is? You keep going on and on about how great they were to you, but that just seems selfish to only think about how you're treated and not even once put in thought to how it affects others that aren't you.

slit

No I didn't, I said since you were complaining about it being brought up in every thread here you should go somewhere else. Of course it's going to be brought up here.

E92 M3

I'm fine with it but still a little interested in the thought process behind caring about a corporation that sells chicken and supports bigotry. Even if you like eating there, It seems borderline neurotic to come to their defense.

It's neurotic to insult anyone that does go there. Secondly, most CFA I have been to are welcoming to everyone - including the employees. It's a great place to eat and relax.

This thread is about new menu items. If you want to discuss something else, just make a new thread. Every CFA thread doesn't have to be dereailed.

Do you really not see why LGBT people might bring this up whenever people are bragging about how great chic-fil-a is? You keep going on and on about how great they were to you, but that just seems selfish to only think about how you're treated and not even once put in thought to how it affects others that aren't you.

How to tell people don't read posts.

No I didn't, I said since you were complaining about it being brought up in every thread here you should go somewhere else. Of course it's going to be brought up here.
If you're fine with derailments and talks of boycotts why wouldn't you be fine with defenses from people who enjoy their food and customer/employee service.

slit

It's neurotic to insult anyone that does go there. Secondly, most CFA I have been to are welcoming to everyone - including the employees. It's a great place to eat and relax.

This thread is about new menu items. If you want to discuss something else, just make a new thread. Every CFA thread doesn't have to be dereailed.

Yes, I know you are in love with them but some people see a topic about chicken menu items and think there are more important things to discuss concerning this particular company based on their past actions.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Did anyone try it yet? Wonder how the mac and cheese is. Probably goddamn amazing. I was floored by how good their sausage biscuit is considering they focus on chicken.

Ketkat

If you're going to be obtuse, I'll just ignore you.

No, I read your post. What it boiled down to was "I worked there. They were great to me. This thing is bad. But I'm going to continue to support them and the groups they support financially, because it doesn't really matter. Now people need to stop talking about this when we want to talk about how great the company is."

You don't really feel sorry for anything they've done if you continue to give them money and support them. You haven't changed your actions in any way since it was revealed they were doing this stuff 5 years ago. You continue to defend the company, and rationalize it to make yourself feel better. It really doesn't matter what other groups you're donating to. Because you are indirectly donating to anti-LGBT groups that directly harm LGBT people. Maybe you're helping some LGBT people elsewhere, but that doesn't somehow negate the harm you're contributing to.

slit

If you're fine with derailments and talks of boycotts why wouldn't you be fine with defenses from people who enjoy their food and customer/employee service.

I am fine with it, I'm just fascinated that you would care about someone criticizing a place you eat chicken sandwiches at. The way you were defending it, you would think they were attacking your grandmother or something.

E92 M3

Yes, I know you are in love with them but some people see a topic about chicken menu items and think there are more important things to discuss concerning this particular company based on their past actions.

Sure, and that's why multiple threads exist. I don't go into a topic about crazy deals and discuss the influence of our military on other lands. If you're not happy with how CFA conducts certain aspects of their business, then just make a new thread.

--

On another note, I hate mac 'n cheese and will never eat it - even at CFA.

No, I read your post. What it boiled down to was "I worked there. They were great to me. This thing is bad. But I'm going to continue to support them and the groups they support financially, because it doesn't really matter. Now people need to stop talking about this when we want to talk about how great the company is."

You don't really feel sorry for anything they've done if you continue to give them money and support them. You haven't changed your actions in any way since it was revealed they were doing this stuff 5 years ago. You continue to defend the company, and rationalize it to make yourself feel better. It really doesn't matter what other groups you're donating to. Because you are indirectly donating to anti-LGBT groups that directly harm LGBT people. Maybe you're helping some LGBT people elsewhere, but that doesn't somehow negate the harm you're contributing to.

There's really no further point discussing it if this is the track. That pretty much goes for everyone who eats there. I defend the portions of the company I had direct interaction with. I don't defend what the company donates to. None of the good I do is relevant because $0.20 of my bimonthly purchase goes to anti-marriage equality groups. I'm a horrible person.

This is why people turn off when this gets discussed, because there is no reasonable discussion. It's all or nothing.

So reminder a few people took some well deserved shots at CFA and that actually would have been the end of it until some of y'all decided that the honor of your favorite chicken joint had to be defended for some reason.

slit

Sure, and that's why multiple threads exist. I don't go into a topic about crazy deals and discuss the influence of our military on other lands. If you're not happy with how CFA conducts certain aspects of their business, then just make a new thread.

Then talk to a mod about that. I agree it does come up in almost all CFA threads here but obviously the mods think it is okay and to be honest I would agree. Sometimes issues usurp chicken sandwich menu items.

Ketkat

There's really no further point discussing it if this is the track. That pretty much goes for everyone who eats there. I defend the portions of the company I had direct interaction with. I don't defend what the company donates to. None of the good I do is relevant because $0.20 of my bimonthly purchase goes to anti-marriage equality groups. I'm a horrible person.

This is why people turn off when this gets discussed, because there is no reasonable discussion. It's all or nothing.

Of course its all or nothing. Its either you're giving them money or you aren't. If you truly thought it was a terrible thing that they were doing, you wouldn't be giving them money and telling them that its okay to keep doing it because you'll give them business no matter what.

The only middle ground possible would be if someone was ignorant of what they were doing, and you clearly aren't.

I am fine with it, I'm just fascinated that you would care about someone criticizing a place you eat chicken sandwiches at. The way you were defending it, you would think they were attacking your grandmother or something.
I guess I could say the same for you if we're going to categorize the way people are posting because we didn't like the position they took, you must have been so upset.

So reminder a few people took some well deserved shots at CFA and that actually would have been the end of it until some of y'all decided that the honor of your favorite chicken joint had to be defended for some reason.
How dare they.

It's a different animal of talking about what a place does, and then taking that and making accusations or guilt-tripping people who work or visit there. I don't think anyone would have said anything if it was kept to the first.

This happens in every CFA thread though. Every. Single. One. It's never about just the company, people feel the need to make it personal with the posters who will still eat there. In another thread, it wasn't just casual and sly accusations about supporting bigotry, it was outright calling people who still ate there bigots. You can make the point about what the company does without doing that.

The escalation was out of bounds, I'll give you that. Some people don't respond in the best ways all the time. It's not supposed to be personal in either direction. The support for anti-marriage and anti-LGBTQ groups is a black mark on an otherwise stellar organization to work for and to visit. It personally hurts that they do this, because otherwise they were one of the most positive influences in my life, and I'm talking at a store level. Genuinely cared about each other, which is something I can't say I've ever experienced otherwise. I could go back to my first store after fifteen years and the operator would still know who I am and be genuinely interested in how I've been and what I've done with myself. I still remember the names of everyone I worked with, and am still friends with a fair few.

I'm sorry for the support they give for anti groups. I'm sorry someone else made it personal here. I'm still going to go there occasionally, and I'm still going think fondly of the impact overall they had on my life.

That's the thing though, it wasn't CFA haters who made it personal in the first place in this thread.

Context is important. A person making fun of CFA for their bigoted behavior and a person making fun of people upset by that bigoted behavior are not the same or doing a comparable action.

slit

I guess I could say the same for you if we're going to categorize the way people are posting because we didn't like the position they took, you must have been so upset.

I'm not upset at all, you eating at CFA does not bother me but I understand why gloating about it upsets others.

Of course its all or nothing. Its either you're giving them money or you aren't. If you truly thought it was a terrible thing that they were doing, you wouldn't be giving them money and telling them that its okay to keep doing it because you'll give them business no matter what.

The only middle ground possible would be if someone was ignorant of what they were doing, and you clearly aren't.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

I'm not a fan of the beans or the mac and cheese, I can get those anywhere. They really should think about bumping up the amount of nuggs to like 40 or so.

zGHQb4O.gif

I'm not upset at all, you eating at CFA does not bother me but I understand why gloating about it upsets others.
Well, neither am I. I don’t see how posting from a defense position means I’m defending a family member either.

I think if posters open up the floodgates for derailing they shouldn’t be upset at the posts that come as a result but hey it’s a relatively free forum.

Well, neither am I. I don't see how posting from a defense position means I'm defending a family member either.

I think if posters open up the floodgates for derailing they shouldn't be upset at the posts that come as a result but hey it's a relatively free forum.

The post you replied to replied to a post that was criticizing a fast food joint, not people on this forum. It wasn't even expressing that people who enjoy Chick-fil-A are bad, it was just trashing on a restaurant.

You've been here the entire time, don't think you can sneak around

Context is important. A person making fun of CFA for their bigoted behavior and a person making fun of people upset by that bigoted behavior are not the same or doing a comparable action.
I don’t think anyone was making fun of them, just saying they’re buying more food, an apparently vile, disrespectful and toxic action.

NandoGip

Oil companies are destroying the Earth through global warming but you still drive a car don't you?

Anyone who boycotts Chick-Fil-A because the CEO is a dick head, needs to put their money where their mouth is and go vegan due to how fucked the meat industry is.

Oil companies are destroying the Earth through global warming but you still drive a car don't you?

Anyone who boycotts Chick-Fil-A because the CEO is a dick head, needs to put their money where their mouth is and go vegan due to how fucked the meat industry is.

Reminds me of the GamerGate argument of "why criticize X thing when you could be instead doing Y thing"

The post is fraught with issues, because of the three things you mentioned, only one is remotely feasible in our society. Not driving or using public transportation makes it incredibly difficult for one to survive in this day and age, and eating vegan is very expensive and often practically impossible to do so in a healthy manner for many people. Not eating at Chick-fil-A is doable, and a person shouldn't be shamed for not doing more when most people are doing nothing.

I don’t know which posts your talking about, the one that called the defenders neurotic?

The post was "Every fucking thread," which quoted two posters mocking Chick-fil-A using the Family Style name as part of their jokes.

Reminds me of the GamerGate argument of "why criticize X thing when you could be instead doing Y thing"

The post is fraught with issues, because of the three things you mentioned, only one is remotely feasible in our society. Not driving or using public transportation makes it incredibly difficult for one to survive in this day and age, and eating vegan is very expensive and often practically impossible to do so in a healthy manner for many people. Not eating at Chick-fil-A is doable, and a person shouldn't be shamed for not doing more when most people are doing nothing.

The post was "Every fucking thread," which quoted two posters mocking Chick-fil-A using the Family Style name as part of their jokes.
So you’re saying that post I made about buying more nuggets was making fun of people who are boycotting.

mackattk

Beyond the chicken, their shakes/desserts aren't talked about enough. The ice cream cones and shakes are some of the best in the business. Dipping the fries into the shake is actually good as well.

Cookies and cream or peach milkshakes are amazing.

Sometimes I buy a cookie or get a free cookie and use the kids toy trade-in for a kids cup of ice cream and make it a la mode.. Good stuff.
deep life hacks

Calorie count is actually pretty decent as well... I had coupons for a free 8ct nugget for awhile. 4ct kids meal, small fruit cup, diet coke, and free 8 count nugget, along with the free kids ice cream cone... only like 650 calories, and it was a pretty fulfilling meal.

Sometimes I get a free cobb salad from the chick-fil-a one app. I could eat that cobb salad everyday and not get tired of it. Just wish it wasn't so expensive at normal price. Salad and a drink, you are looking at almost $10.

Yeah, I am all about coupons at Chick-Fil-A... I stock up on those calendar cards each year, usually get 5-6 of them.

Are there not poor vegans? Or are you talking about first world vegans where they eat their avocado toasts in their mansions.

This post literally doesn't make any sense. It feels like you're trying to troll or something. But no, when I talk about being vegan not being affordable in the U.S., I am not saying that people eating vegan food in mansions are having trouble affording being vegan. I'm referring to the fact that many common products have dairy content in them, and therefore people have to do specialty shopping, which is almost always more expensive. Therefore, poor people are not likely to go vegan if they can help it. Yes, there are poor vegans, but it's more difficult than not being vegan by a significant margin, both in terms of health and cost.

I bet you can't even explain how a post about buying nuggets relates to making fun of a boycott.

Reductive. The post stated that they bought extra nuggets in response to people not liking Chick-fil-A. The post did not simply say "I'm buying nuggets."

fester

Banned

Yep, "Whataboutism" strikes again, it's just shallow deflection.

People don't like being reminded that their corporate BFF hangs their hat on bigotry.

CFA could create a "Family Style Meal" that sends my taste buds into a state of orgasmic bliss and I still wouldn't spend a dime there. Same goes for Hobby-Lobby or any other corporation that jumps into the Christian culture war bullshit. No company is perfect, but when one blatantly goes out of its way to make life difficult for others, it seems like a brain-dead easy thing to just not spend your money there. No product is worth that kind of compromise, especial not fucking fast food.

Not really, never said anything about their right to protest, but since I thought the jokes and the subject was completely unnecessary in this particular thread, I made my post.

If someone made a Roman Polanski appreciation thread, inevitably it would become at least in part a thread about not appreciating Roman Polanski.

If someone made a Roman Polanski appreciation thread, inevitably it would become at least in part a thread about not appreciating Roman Polanski.
Well since the threads original intention was Roman Polanski appreciation, me making posts continuing to appreciate her in spite of the not appreciating posts should be no problem then.

l2ounD

This post literally doesn't make any sense. It feels like you're trying to troll or something. But no, when I talk about being vegan not being affordable in the U.S., I am not saying that people eating vegan food in mansions are having trouble affording being vegan. I'm referring to the fact that many common products have dairy content in them, and therefore people have to do specialty shopping, which is almost always more expensive. Therefore, poor people are not likely to go vegan if they can help it. Yes, there are poor vegans, but it's more difficult than not being vegan by a significant margin, both in terms of health and cost.

Yeah re-reading it now it doesnt makes sense. It was supposed to come across as, are only rich people vegan?

Now is the only barrier because it is difficult?

Yeah re-reading it now it doesnt makes sense. It was supposed to come across as, are only rich people vegan?

Now is the only barrier because it is difficult?

Generally, people who have more money can afford to be more selective with what they eat. You have to have the time to research ingredients and you have to be able to find adequate sources of nutrition.

Top Bottom