• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cat people are smarter than dog people, new study shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cagey

Banned
I'm not much of a pet person. My family had dogs my whole life.

Fiance wanted a dog, I said too much work plus too mean in NYC to have so little space to romp around. So she surprise adopted a 7 year old black cat 18 months ago.

I go back and forth between resenting and loving his existence. Cuddly affectionate little bastard, when I sleep in on the weekends he sleeps in the bed next to me until I wake up, and then he moves.

He also pees on my couch and wakes us up when he's hungry because he's a grumpy old dickhead.

Cats. Confusing.

riotous

Banned
Recent studies have shown cats have a much wider range of emotions than any researcher ever believed in the past.

I won't say "anyone whose owned cats" would know this, because I've witnessed cat/owner relationships that suck.. but anyone whose been around certain cats would certainly question any "classic" research on their behavior.

But I do treat my cats a bit like I would a stripper. I'm apprehensive of the attention they show me and why, lol.

Zaptruder

Banned
ITT, dog owners get offended they're been 'called stupid'. Cat owners boast that they're 'recognized as smart'.

Reality: owning a pet doesn't *make* you dumb or smart.

StarLord

Banned
That's funny since, you know: Your cat doesn't love you.

Pffft, that study blows. Why does my cat literally sleep on my computer desk all day every day if she does not love me? Why does my blind cat follow me room to room every day? In fact they are both right here with me as i am typing this. Cat > Dogs. The only dog i ever had would always try to hurt me when my parents we're not in the same room as us. I spent many a Saturday morning having to hide behind the couch hiding from my dog while my parents slept, all i wanted to do was watch cartoons.

mkenyon

Banned
Pffft, that study blows. Why does my cat literally sleep on my computer desk all day every day if she does not love me? Why does my blind cat follow me room to room every day? In fact they are both right here with me as i am typing this. Cat > Dogs. The only dog i ever had would always try to hurt me when my parents we're not in the same room as us. I spent many a Saturday morning having to hide behind the couch hiding from my dog while my parents slept, all i wanted to do was watch cartoons.
Love is when another person's happiness is essential to your own. Your cat doesn't care about you. It cares what you can do for it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ITT, dog owners get offended they're been 'called stupid'. Cat owners boast that they're 'recognized as smart'.

Reality: owning a pet doesn't *make* you dumb or smart.

I mean, yeah, it's not like taking that pet home will suddenly *make* you smart, but the pet you choose is a very good indicator of your level of intelligence to begin with.

Cat people are more insecure than dog people, need this shit to feel good about themselves, new study shows.

I mean, yeah, it's not like taking that pet home will suddenly *make* you smart, but the pet you choose is a very good indicator of your level of intelligence to begin with.

Very good indicator? Where do you get this from, certainly not the op, which provides mixed data.

Layell

SimpsonsCatLady.jpg

If this scales then she is the smartest of them all.

These arguments are so dumb. I've owned both and they have their own pros and cons. Cats are more self sufficient and less needy but dogs can be more rewarding if you're willing to put the effort in. Which to get largely depends on your lifestyle. If you're not at home much or not going to be able to take it out frequently don't get a dog. Owning a dog can go wrong much more easily than cats so I'd definitely recommend a cat if you're not going to do your research or willing to put effort into training them.

Avixph

This research was clearly done by a cat person, as dog people don't give much of a fuck about cats.

My high school Lit teacher always flaunted how much smarter cats were than dogs. "You have to win the affection of your cat". I already have a wife for that, I don't need another, am I right?
You were married during high school?

C4Lukins

Yeah cat people watch a ton of television. As their 37 cats rub up on their legs, they are watching the Discovery channel. Cat people know more about bigfoot then dog people will ever know.

What if I fit more the description of the cat lover in terms of personality traits and intelligence but I'm actually a dog lover? I'll just have to live with it I guess.

KrellRell

Same reason why you would want an animal where you have to clean their litter box, I suppose :p

It's more of an effort vs results sort of thing for me. Yes, I have to scoop a litter box, but I can do that once every 2 days (that's with two cats) and it takes about 20 seconds. Total time to walk dog and pick up droppings over two days? It must take at least 100x the time/effort. I strive for efficiency, cats are an efficient pet.

Astral

Cats are wonderful and adorable. They are a more passive pet and thats the kind I like. Im bouncy enough myself. I dont need a pet that is an attention whore, so cats work perfectly.

This is why I prefer cats. I like dogs too but I'd much rather have a cat because they're more independent. I just leave my cats outside and they do whatever the fuck they want. Most dogs I've met are too playful. I just don't like it when dogs try to jump on me or lick me. The most my cats do is rub themselves all over me and my stuff. Oh and walk on my keyboard. That I admit is kind of annoying.

UberTag

SimpsonsCatLady.jpg

If this scales then she is the smartest of them all.
This is actually true. Crazy Cat Lady is extremely intelligent.
Here's her Simpsons Wiki entry...

When she was eight, Eleanor Abernathy was a smart and ambitious young girl who wanted to be both a lawyer and a doctor "because a woman can do anything". She was studying for law school at 16, and by 24, she had earned an MD from Harvard Medical School and a JD from Yale Law School. However, by 32, suffering from burnout, she had turned to alcohol, became obsessed with her pet cat, and would randomly take to cutting pieces of her own hair. By the time she was 40, she had assumed her present state as a drunken, raving lunatic.
So yeah... she's a double law school & medical school graduate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom