• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Reuters] More than a billion people worldwide are obese, WHO study finds

Raven117

I didn't say they gained weight because of trauma, but normalizing obesity is a response from the years of bullying and abuse these people got. People with similar trauma sometimes connect, organize and push their agenda. Then you have some companies that have a lot to gain through that and their message gets boosted.
You missed my point. That said, you perfectly engaged in “internet social bullshit” that changes the issues away from the underlying issues.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I clean eat with a cheat meal once a week. I do CrossFit weekdays and and hour an a half of ultimate frisbee on the weekends. Also training for a marathon in April. Just got back from my PCP visit. Bloodwork is prefect. BMI lists me as obese.

Not saying that people are not getting fatter, just saying that the BMI metrics they are using are off. Percentage of bodyfat is a better metric.
If your BF% is <20% and your BMI is >30, you’re an extremely muscular outlier. BF% is definitely the marker to go by, but BMI is good for the vast majority of people

Imagine if we could harness all that fat for energy?

Unfortunately this is too lucrative of an industry for govts i mean corps to really do anything about.

Vyse

Gold Member
BMI is horrible when it comes to people who have built a solid amount of muscle.

Have you done that?
I’m pretty fit. Most people in my gym are in the same place as me. Not a concern from my doctor, but I work for a healthcare company and this puts me in a risk category for wellness credit.

DavidGzz

I'm 5'9" 205 so I am doing my part. But most people don't have the drive or even want to be as muscular as me, so BMI overall is helpful. I do want to drop about 10 pounds. It's too bad it keeps getting worse.

Raven117

5’8. 175 lbs.
Case why BMI is just stupid....You aren't either overweight or obese.

Im actually the same on BMI (low end of overweight). But I strength train and have put on alot of muscle over the last year. I don't look "overweight" at all. (Though, admittedly, I'm a Liiiiiitle soft around the middle, but that comes with the territory if you are wanting to gain muscle and strength).

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Case why BMI is just stupid....
BMI isn’t stupid, it’s a good rule of thumb for the vast majority of people. It’s useful if all you have is a balance and some measuring tape. If you’ve got something that can get accurate BF%, great, that should be the gold standard. But you could accurately assess that the vast majority of people >190lbs are overweight

Last edited:

Raven117

BMI isn’t stupid, it’s a good rule of thumb for the vast majority of people. It’s useful if all you have is a balance and some measuring tape. If you’ve got something that can get accurate BF%, great, that should be the gold standard. But you could accurately assess that the vast majority of people >190lbs are overweight
Let me rephrase. BMI is somewhat of a useful guide for average white men, but VERY quickly is useless when it comes to athletes, women, and other ethnicities who often carry fat in different places than their waist.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Let me rephrase. BMI is somewhat of a useful guide for average white men, but VERY quickly is useless when it comes to athletes, women, and other ethnicities who often carry fat in different places than their waist.
BMI is a ratio of length to mass, so no it’s not going to account for an assortment of other variables. But it is a good rule of thumb for the vast majority of people, with the exception of Dwayne Johnson and NFL linebackers. Ethnicity is irrelevant and I believe it does adjust for women.

I’ll put it this way: my best friend in high school and college played football and he had a legit gripe about BMI because he was shredded at 5’10” and weighed 195. I know zero other people that could legit say they’re on the wrong side of the BMI scale despite being jacked, my fat ass self included

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
Case why BMI is just stupid....
BMI is extremely useful to assess weight trends across a large population. It can also be useful as a screening tool since the majority of people are sedentary and it costs next to nothing to calculate BMI.

However, it is not a replacement for individualized assessment. Like any tool, it has a specific purpose that requires the user to understand how to best implement it.

Vyse

Gold Member
You do CrossFit, you have muscles. I do endurance running, I’m 5’8” as well but 64kg/141lbs. I run 6 times per week.
That is so cool my friend. I was 147lbs when I finished boot camp back in the day. Recently ramped up my running. Training for a half marathon in April. You are so right. It is so hard for me to maintain muscle mass when I did my full marathons. Couldn’t eat enough. Thankfully my knees haven’t given out yet. Can still show up for the Spartan races and Tough Mudders.

Cyberpunkd

That is so cool my friend. I was 147lbs when I finished boot camp back in the day. Recently ramped up my running. Training for a half marathon in April. You are so right. It is so hard for me to maintain muscle mass when I did my full marathons. Couldn’t eat enough. Thankfully my knees haven’t given out yet. Can still show up for the Spartan races and Tough Mudders.
I cut my marathons to once a year, can’t maintain 3 months continuous build up for each.

Raven117

BMI is a ratio of length to mass, so no it’s not going to account for an assortment of other variables. But it is a good rule of thumb for the vast majority of people, with the exception of Dwayne Johnson and NFL linebackers. Ethnicity is irrelevant and I believe it does adjust for women.

I’ll put it this way: my best friend in high school and college played football and he had a legit gripe about BMI because he was shredded at 5’10” and weighed 195. I know zero other people that could legit say they’re on the wrong side of the BMI scale despite being jacked, my fat ass self included
You really don't know much about the issues with BMI. That's very clear. Try googling it.

BMI is extremely useful to assess weight trends across a large population. It can also be useful as a screening tool since the majority of people are sedentary and it costs next to nothing to calculate BMI.

However, it is not a replacement for individualized assessment. Like any tool, it has a specific purpose that requires the user to understand how to best implement it.
What about my clarifying comment insinuates that I don't agree with this? (Other than it being "extremely useful" it can give a point in the right direction often enough, but as you said. NOT a replacement for individualized assessment. And thats more my point.

Raven117

It is VERY difficult to maintain muscle mass while endurance training. They are very different adaptations.

Vyse

Gold Member
It is VERY difficult to maintain muscle mass while endurance training. They are very different adaptations.
Think that’s why I like CrossFit. Can do my Olympic lifts, but still have a level of endurance. Also harder to maintain muscle mass as you get older. Thankfully managed to not injury myself and I try to be realistic with myself.

Raven117

Think that’s why I like CrossFit. Can do my Olympic lifts, but still have a level of endurance. Also harder to maintain muscle mass as you get older. Thankfully managed to not injury myself and I try to be realistic with myself.
Thats awesome and glad you are seeing some benefit!

(I, myself, am not much of a CrossFit fan...I just assume go straight up strength train...get some numbers up and go from there, but to each their own).

Pop

This is what happens when you call Fat, Overweight and Obese people "Plus-size" and congratulate them on spreading body positivity images.

Saw a video where a mother was feeding her kid donuts for breakfast and then you wonder where all the sugar addicts are coming from.

Imagine having kids with that. And to make it worse, her saying this shit

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The health crisis and the unsustainable expenses tied to it could be alleviated by a hefty percent if only enough people stopped eating shit food, and so much of it. You don’t even really need to make the recommended light physical activity, let alone be in top shape. Just. fucking. stop. eating. Universal healthcare systems will die because of obese people. But before they go, the governments will squeeze all the taxes they can from not-obese citizens to sustain the unsustainable until they raise the white flag.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
You really don't know much about the issues with BMI. That's very clear. Try googling it.
What will googling BMI do to change my mind that it’s an imperfect, but generally useful, metric? I’d say I already understand the issues (e.g. why it’s imperfect) but still think it’s a useful metric for the vast majority of people

Raven117

What will googling BMI do to change my mind that it’s an imperfect, but generally useful, metric? I’d say I already understand the issues (e.g. why it’s imperfect) but still think it’s a useful metric for the vast majority of people
Well, you clearly don't if you thought ethnicity is irrelevant. Your words. "irrelevant." That is absolutely not the case.

Its a useful guide, sure. Im not posturing otherwise. But its typically given more weight than it should.

WoJ

I've gained 40 pounds since Covid and was slightly overweight before. Now I'm just a fattie.

But I do want to get healthier. Just taking it slowly. I may be changing jobs and be back in the office soon full time. That would probably be good for me weight wise.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
But its typically given more weight than it should.
Stop It And You GIF

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I just meant in general. My BP is slightly high but seems normal with my age range. I was just blown away to see something at 50% for sodium intake.

There is no ”slightly high but normal for age range” anymore. Some older people who are particularly prone to hypotension from blood pressure drugs are “allowed” to go as high as 150mmHg of systolic pressure, under medical control. For everyone else, 140/90 is the limit set in stone. An American doctor will easily try to put you on medication with even lower values, especially if you have other risk factors.

Nah, i don't buy this, people are intelligent enough to know that being obese is bad for your health and even in this fucked up bizzarro world i bet there is no important channel on tv straight up saying that being obese is better than being in shape, it would be a lie as big as smoke and alcohol are good for you.

But even if there is someone saying that without repercussion on national tv, my first point still stands, you have to be straight up retarded to think that being obese is not gonna kill you sooner or later.
Knowing is one thing. Giving a shit about it is another.
It’s just like smoking. Every idiot knows it has zero benefits. We still have millions of smokers afoot.

The mind is extremely good at protecting itself from change and trauma. If you grew around an obese family, good luck not getting obese yourself before adulthood. For most obese people, loss of weight is loss of identity. Most of them know perfectly well obesity is going to kill them. And they’ll still rather live in pain and die from diabetes and cardiovascular disease than make the necessary effort.

I would absolutely fine parents whose children are obese for not-medical reasons.
Child obesity is abuse, and an almost one-way ticket to early death and never ending health issues.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Looked it up. You are correct. Has me in the overweight category. Still, I am not overweight.
Hmmm.... Pics?

Peoples definition of overweight has gotten skewed over the years

I would think if you are 5'8 175lbs even if you are carrying a ton of muscle you are still probably slightly overweight

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Having done both (legal, fun) drugs and sugar, my personal experience is that they're comparably addictive and hard to quit.

I don't struggle with weight because I'm active, but if I weren't, I'd be right there with the obese because I loooooove shitty-for-you food.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Bit off topic but can y'all do the sit to stand

Most ppl my age can't and it's really sad

Wtf, my BMI is 23, I run about 20 miles a week, and I can't do this without tapping my hand on the ground. I felt like I was going to tear something otherwise.

Dang.

Vyse

Gold Member
Hmmm.... Pics?

Peoples definition of overweight has gotten skewed over the years

I would think if you are 5'8 175lbs even if you are carrying a ton of muscle you are still probably slightly overweight
You’ll have to buy me dinner first.

Top Bottom