• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excess weight, obesity more deadly than previously believed

Cyberpunkd

There are a million reasons not to be overweight and no good reasons for it.
The Big Lebowski Film GIF by The Good Films

Also:
is207 im sorry GIF by truTV’s I’m Sorry

I always believed that the importance of these is greatly undestated.
I love these findings.

Agreed.
BMI is useful when measuring a large amount of average population, but its pretty much useless for individuals as it doesnt differentiate between muscle and fat (Its possible to have 7% bodyfat and be considered obese, half of the people at my gym would most likely be). I feel like bodyfat percentage is much better idicator. I would trust your doctors opinion over what BMI says.
BMI is a perfectly fine metric. The idea that there's a substantial amount of bodybuilders out there skewing the BMI is hilarous. If you tell me youre BMI is 34, I will just assume you're fat and I will be correct 99.9% of the time. That's good enough. You don't throw an indicator like BMI out because there are outliers to it. Clearly, BMI seems to predict mortality quite well as per this study. Bodybuilders aren't the issue, but you do have to control for severe diseases that lead to weight loss of course.

Last edited:

thefool

It all starts with the food. People didn't look like this a few decades ago. Yes, the messaging is horrible (and harmful), yes people need to be properly educated but that doesn't excuse the utter shit food we're giving our population.

lifa-cobex

Anyone working in funeral care will tell you this.
It's a "no shit sherlock" moment.
Since way back when they banned the Beach body ready poster. I've been completely dumbfounded at how thick people are.

This past two months I've been stuck on ambulance duty.
The fucking amount of overweight fat asses from around the ages of 40 to 60 has been shocking for my mentality and my back.

Don't get me wrong it's great for my wallet and it's a great workout for me.
But it's shocking the amount people have put on since Covid.

YCoCg

I unironically love this idea.
The problem with that idea is that you're giving more power to insurance corporations who will then take it further and abuse it because, hell, they can, what's that? You drive a car and don't cycle/walk everywhere, well that's a 20% premium for you and 5% discount for those people. What's that, you drink a beer every now and then, well that's gonna be a 10% premium! etc.

Lasha

I'm 300ish and I'm 5'9 I'm good right?
You're beautiful.

Just charge obese people 500% of health insurance premiums and give healthy people 75% discount and this problem is over in one generation.

The resistance to the concept of insurance is wild. I'm genuinely baffled by people who understand why speeding tickets and reckless driving lead to higher auto insurance premiums yet can't fathom why drinking, smoking, or morbid obesity should lead to higher health insurance premiums.

T4keD0wN

I dont even get how some people can let their health escalate to those levels and stay there, counting calories is just basic math.
BMI is a perfectly fine metric. The idea that there's a substantial amount of bodybuilders out there skewing the BMI is hilarous. If you tell me youre BMI is 34, I will just assume you're fat and I will be correct 99.9% of the time. That's good enough. You don't throw an indicator like BMI out because there are outliers to it. Clearly, BMI seems to predict mortality quite well as per this study. Bodybuilders aren't the issue, but you do have to control for severe diseases that lead to weight loss of course.
Yeah, youd be right 99% of the time.

Thats the thing, they arent skewing the BMI metrics (they are influencing them, but nowhere near enough to make any difference, so they effectively make close to 0% difference). Its just that BMI isnt exactly a great metric for absolutely everyone/some specific people, just the majority while still being useful for measuring large portions of population which can have extreme cases and those should absolutely be included when doing the math. My point was just that those data arent not amazingly useful to some specific individuals.

But i also wouldnt limit BMI not being a great metric to just bodybuilers, but pretty much all non natural people and some athletes, although those are essentially implied by the previous group LOL.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just charge obese people 500% of health insurance premiums and give healthy people 75% discount and this problem is over in one generation.
Anything to do with healthcare and insurance should have these kinds of premiums.

If someone does dumb shit on their own will power leading to stupidity and hospital visits, they should get charged big. It's not a freak accident or cancer out of nowhere I think everyone should get a break in life.

Even moreso important in places with universal healthcare where all of us who dont do dumb shit like pig out, smoke or are alcoholics needing treatment pay for all the slobs who do this to themselves. This is stuff that goes on for years and decades, yet somehow it's tolerated and the rest of us have to pay their bills after they've been asses for 20 years.

At least give us normal folks a break and charge those people $10,000 or $100,000 for their own dumbassery.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Is water wet?

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay

You can't make an analogy where the sky is blue around this guy, because he will get into color wave spectrum bending shit, colorblindness, perception, and will end up answering the meaning of life itself before making it back to the point...

Lasha

The problem with that idea is that you're giving more power to insurance corporations who will then take it further and abuse it because, hell, they can, what's that? You drive a car and don't cycle/walk everywhere, well that's a 20% premium for you and 5% discount for those people. What's that, you drink a beer every now and then, well that's gonna be a 10% premium! etc.

I'm ok with that.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Current stats for American adults (20 and over):

• Men:
    Height in inches: 69.0 (5'9" / 175cm)
    Weight in pounds: 199.8 (90.6kg)
    Waist circumference in inches: 40.5
  • Women:
    Height in inches: 63.5 (5'3.5" / 161cm)
    Weight in pounds: 170.8 (77.5 kg)
    Waist circumference in inches: 38.7

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You're beautiful.

The resistance to the concept of insurance is wild. I'm genuinely baffled by people who understand why speeding tickets and reckless driving lead to higher auto insurance premiums yet can't fathom why drinking, smoking, or morbid obesity should lead to higher health insurance premiums.
I'm not really 5'9" 😢

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Current stats for American adults (20 and over):

• Men:
    Height in inches: 69.0 (5'9" / 175cm)
    Weight in pounds: 199.8 (90.6kg)
    Waist circumference in inches: 40.5
  • Women:
    Height in inches: 63.5 (5'3.5" / 161cm)
    Weight in pounds: 170.8 (77.5 kg)
    Waist circumference in inches: 38.7
My waist size is 31 I weigh 165 I'm 50

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Is water wet?

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay
What about liquids are they wet or not?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To go with Evilore's chart above, here's a chart per country, avg height, weight, BMI for 18-25 year olds. Also some regional charts at the bottom.

Sort by BMI index. The fattest countries are all sorts of island nations (who knows why they are all fat)...... and the US.

No doubt us Canucks skew fatty too, but it goes to show even though we are right over the border, and have similar stores, restaurants, fast food joints we just dont eat as much.

OZ9000

Banned
We live in a society where people give zero fucks and have no personal responsibility to their actions. No one is willing to bear the slightest bit of discomfort either. So yeah it's no wonder why most of the world is fat.

Losing weight is hard yes. It requires discipline. But if you make a complete lifestyle change it will happen.

Like many modern day trends, fat acceptance and plus size models are incredibly dangerous. I preferred it when magazines and the media promoted "unrealistic body standards" of being skinny or girls eating chicken and broccoli only for a model look.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obesity is bizarre that amount of mass on your body the pressure to put on clothes should be a point to lose weight. Then there’s people who harness weight like sumo wrestlers.

big show wrestling GIF by WWE
eric cartman sumo GIF by South Park

Hot5pur

So has anyone actually looked at this at a deep level, are obese people just lazy gluttons? is the real problem an addiction disorder? Are Americans just OK with being obese, given some cost-benefit-burger analysis?
Grocery stores don't make it easy either, unless you stick to the outside aisles where all the more natural? stuff is (dairy, meat, produce) you're basically f'ed.

Jinzo Prime

So has anyone actually looked at this at a deep level, are obese people just lazy gluttons? is the real problem an addiction disorder? Are Americans just OK with being obese, given some cost-benefit-burger analysis?
Grocery stores don't make it easy either, unless you stick to the outside aisles where all the more natural? stuff is (dairy, meat, produce) you're basically f'ed.

It's probably an addiction, I ate an entire can of Pringles yesterday and it did not feel good. I do it every time I buy those cursed things!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm 6'2" and have been anywhere between 165-200lbs my entire adult life. Getting real tired of people commenting on how I'm "skinny" when I'm typically around 180lbs, which is a BMI of 23.5, i.e., the higher end of "normal weight".

There is something very wrong with the US's, and (I assume) all of North America's perspective on obesity.

Funny enough, when I lived in Korea, locals made fun of my belly lol

Kenpachii

Addicted to sugar
No self control
Emotion eaters and are emotional a lot
Shit education
Shit parents.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm 6'2" and have been anywhere between 165-200lbs my entire adult life. Getting real tired of people commenting on how I'm "skinny" when I'm typically around 180lbs, which is a BMI of 23.5, i.e., the higher end of "normal weight".

There is something very wrong with the US's, and (I assume) all of North America's perspective on obesity.

Funny enough, when I lived in Korea, locals made fun of my belly lol
In US youre skinny

In Korea youre fat

Hot5pur

Sounds to me like everyone who is obese should go to therapy or to some 12 step program, or at least get a book to help with it.
But of course, that would stigmatize being obese, so what do we do instead...?
dzm19AT.png

Not trying to put people down, but seriously, life is better when you are healthier, and far less costly.

Bragr

Banned
It's not really about discipline or personal responsibility or anything like that. It's the entire food production system. By the time we are 8, our cravings and dependence on unhealthy sources are already dominating our need to eat.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's not really about discipline or personal responsibility or anything like that. It's the entire food production system. By the time we are 8, our cravings and dependence on unhealthy sources are already dominating our need to eat.
We’re living in a dystopian culture, tbh. Everyone’s working on ways to addict people and distract them from health and meaningful living, and then to produce prescriptions for the symptoms of addiction, obesity, depression, and anxiety created by the same environment.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Gimme that new diabetic drug they're on about! I'm prediabetic anyway I reckon.

Better to prevent this crap in advance but stocks seem to be low :(
My doc told me 10 years ago i am prediabetic. Still going strong. I have lost a ton of weight, but i still eat ton of shit. What do you mean by diabetic drug? Something that can really cure you?

Maybe now we can get these fat acceptance activists shut the fuck up and see that being fat is not something that should be accepted. It should be a warning sign.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We’re living in a dystopian culture, tbh. Everyone’s working on ways to addict people and distract them from health and meaningful living, and then to produce prescriptions for the symptoms of addiction, obesity, depression, and anxiety created by the same environment.
I dont think it's even that complex.

I think the reasons why so many people are fat are because so many people have easy cushy desk jobs and too much junk food is too easy to buy at too cheap prices. All the Ubereats and Skip the Dishes makes it even worse. A fat ass can order Big Gulps, chocolate bars and hot wings from 7-11 if they want to now. And the big surge in dollar stores the past 20 years (full of junk food and low quality products) takes it a step even further.

People only have so much money.

If government classified foods and taxed them according to health, making burger combos $20 and X-large pepperoni pizzas $40 would make junk sales go down the tubes. But I guess the government is fine allowing companie to make whatever junk food they want at rock bottom prices. Pure capitalism.

The US is dirt cheap for bad food. And beers are ultra cheap too. Hop over the border to Canada and fast food and beers are probably 50% more. The average wages are both the same at around $55,000 per person. Case in point. A 20 pc of McNuggets in the US is around $8 according to a google check. In Canada its $13.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
A 20 pc of McNuggets in the US is around $8 according to a google check. In Canada its $13.
$13 CAD is $9.53 USD right now.

But yes, among the many factors contributing to this public health crisis is the price and availability of junk vs healthy foods.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$13 CAD is $9.53 USD right now.
True.

But the average wages in both countries is the same at around $55,000 (give or take). You can get a lot more $8 USA McNuggets than $13 CAD McNuggets.

A case of 24 imported bottles of beer/cans (regular size) like Stellas or Heineken go for about $55-60 CAD. Standard brands like Budweiser, a 24 pack is $50 CAD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom