• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excess weight, obesity more deadly than previously believed

belmarduk

Excess weight or obesity boosts risk of death by anywhere from 22% to 91%—significantly more than previously believed—while the mortality risk of being slightly underweight has likely been overestimated, according to new CU Boulder research.

The findings, published Feb. 9 in the journal Population Studies, counter prevailing wisdom that excess weight boosts mortality risk only in extreme cases.

The statistical analysis of nearly 18,000 people also shines a light on the pitfalls of using body mass index (BMI) to study health outcomes, providing evidence that the go-to metric can potentially bias findings. After accounting for those biases, it estimates that about 1 in 6 U.S. deaths are related to excess weight or obesity.

“Existing studies have likely underestimated the mortality consequences of living in a country where cheap, unhealthy food has grown increasingly accessible, and sedentary lifestyles have become the norm,” said author Ryan Masters, associate professor of sociology at CU Boulder.

“This study and others are beginning to expose the true toll of this public health crisis.”

University of Colorado Boulder

Skyfox

Gimme that new diabetic drug they're on about! I'm prediabetic anyway I reckon.

Better to prevent this crap in advance but stocks seem to be low :(

cormack12

Gold Member
37712104-9121533-image-a-6_1610008717553.jpg

first we saw skinny women being branded as beautiful and then rightly so we started promoting body positivity. but it's got out of hand.

you are fucking fat/obese. not beautiful. your life is at risk and you need to turn shit around or you will die soon. these cunts promoting obesity need to shut the fuck up.

i know i'm a fat cunt. i know i am at risk and will die earlier. i don't give a shit. but this crap is pure enablement. that women in the photo is seriously obese and yoga ain't gonna do shit for her. hopefully she is also completely changing her diet and doing other physical activities like swimming and walking in order to lose weight!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My BMI was 25.0, just above the normal BMI range which is 19-24.9. 25 put me in the overweight range which goes to 30 before it is considered Obese.

Even at 25.0 I felt like shit. I was tired, exhausted and extremely lazy. I am almost 21 now and feel much better. I think BMIs are doing everyone a disservice by saying 24-25 is normal and anything below 30 is just 'overweight'. It is dangerous just to have some excess weight even if it doesnt show in bloodwork.

Lets hope this study changes some minds. My doctor kept saying im fine. Doctors need to take excess weight more seriously.

My BMI was 25.0, just above the normal BMI range which is 19-24.9. 25 put me in the overweight range which goes to 30 before it is considered Obese.

Even at 25.0 I felt like shit. I was tired, exhausted and extremely lazy. I am almost 21 now and feel much better. I think BMIs are doing everyone a disservice by saying 24-25 is normal and anything below 30 is just 'overweight'. It is dangerous just to have some excess weight even if it doesnt show in bloodwork.

Lets hope this study changes some minds. My doctor kept saying im fine. Doctors need to take excess weight more seriously.
BMI is a load of pish.

At my heaviest i weighted 18 stone (252 lbs). According to my BMI i was meant to be about 11 stone (154 lbs). I lost 70lbs (5 stone) and i was completely fucked in terms of both the will to constantly exercise/diet and energy to function. There were times I could hardly move due to lack of energy and I felt hungry all the time. It took me about 2 years to lose that weight so it's not like I was starving myself. No way I could've lost another 2 stone just to reach the highest point of "acceptable" or "healthy".

anthony2690

Banned
Water is more wet than previously believed.

Is water wet?

Liquid water is not itself wet, but can make other solid materials wet.

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
Is water wet?

Wetness is the ability of a liquid to adhere to the surface of a solid, so when we say that something is wet, we mean that the liquid is sticking to the surface of a material.

Whether an object is wet or dry depends on a balance between cohesive and adhesive forces. Cohesive forces are attractive forces within the liquid that cause the molecules in the liquid to prefer to stick together. Cohesive forces are also responsible for surface tension. If the cohesive forces are very strong, then the liquid molecules really like to stay close together and they won't spread out on the surface of an object very much. On the contrary, adhesive forces are the attractive forces between the liquid and the surface of the material. If the adhesive forces are strong, then the liquid will try and spread out onto the surface as much as possible. So how wet a surface is depends on the balance between these two forces. If the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are bigger than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material becomes wet, and the liquid tends to spread out to maximize contact with the surface. On the other hand, if the adhesive forces (liquid-solid) are smaller than the cohesive forces (liquid-liquid), we say the material is dry, and the liquid tends to bead-up into a spherical drop and tries to minimize the contact with the surface.

Water actually has pretty high cohesive forces due to hydrogen bonding, and so is not as good at wetting surfaces as some liquids such as acetone or alcohols. However, water does wet certain surfaces like glass for example. Adding detergents can make water better at wetting by lowering the cohesive forces . Water resistant materials such as Gore-tex fabric is made of material that is hydrophobic (water repellent) and so the cohesive forces within the water (liquid-liquid) are much stronger than the adhesive force (liquid-solid) and water tends to bead-up on the outside of the material and you stay
TL;DR: Water not wet. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

T4keD0wN

Excess weight or obesity boosts risk of death by anywhere from 22% to 91%—significantly more than previously believed—while the mortality risk of being slightly underweight has likely been overestimated, according to new CU Boulder research.

“Existing studies have likely underestimated the mortality consequences of living in a country where cheap, unhealthy food has grown increasingly accessible, and sedentary lifestyles have become the norm,” said author Ryan Masters, associate professor of sociology at CU Boulder.
I always believed that the importance of these is greatly undestated.
I love these findings.

BMI is a load of pish.
Agreed.
BMI is useful when measuring a large amount of average population, but its pretty much useless for individuals as it doesnt differentiate between muscle and fat (Its possible to have 7% bodyfat and be considered obese, half of the people at my gym would most likely be). I feel like bodyfat percentage is much better idicator. I would trust your doctors opinion over what BMI says.

Last edited:
Fat acceptance is not something that we as a society should have sided with. It's one thing to not shame people or harass people with weight issues. It's another thing entirely to "embrace the fat" which is dangerous, destructive, and dishonest.

Agreed. IDK about wider society, but as far as personal decisions, I've never sided with acceptance. I do have a few friends who I worry about, but unless they specifically confide in me, I don't bring it up, much less publicly shame them.

You’d be surprised what a big difference taking regular walks can do for you, both physically and mentally. I’m sure that regular hardcore gym sessions are more effective but just taking a decent walk most days can really help.
Thing is you don't even need hardcore gym sessions to get in shape - the number of exercises a normal person needs to do to get normally in shape is pretty small. Like you can cover your legs with 3 exercises pretty much. The rest of your body in maybe 6.

Is water wet?

ok boomer feynman

YuLY

Gimme that new diabetic drug they're on about! I'm prediabetic anyway I reckon.

Better to prevent this crap in advance but stocks seem to be low :(
As long as you are relatively young, it can be reversed by losing weight yes. I've done it myself and am back to normal, eating junk food, sweets etc, just watching so I dont put the weight back on. Blood sugar remains in normal limits the next morning and will probably remain like this as long as I dont put the weight back on.

mortal

Gold Member
The ironic thing is that working out actually feels amazing once you're doing it consistently. Being fit can even make seemingly mundane things feel more enjoyable or tedious things more tolerable. By then I'm asking myself "why don't more people do this?"
In my opinion, it's the forming of new habits that proves more challenging. I'd argue it's the mostly lack of discipline, or the willingness, to be more physically active that's the greater contributor to the obesity rates in the USA.

Don't even have to be a gym rat either, as one can get away with eating a surprising amount of food when burning more calories throughout the day or week.
Although when a person isn't physically active nor mindful of their diet, then obesity and other health complications are the logical outcomes.

Last edited:

Jsisto

One of the problems as I see it is how as a society we seem to be equating the acceptance of different body types with the acceptance of obesity, when they are two very different things. There are people who naturally have larger bone structure/carry a bit more weight. There is a big difference between that and being unhealthy overweight and its not hard to tell the difference.

Women biologically tend to carry more body fat than men and that's fine, attractive even. I think this all started a blowback to the legitimately unrealistic body standards of the anorexic looking models that used to be plastered all over magazines. But like all things it went to far and ended up at the extreme end, and now were being told fat people are beautiful, much like emaciated twigs used to be the beauty standard. Hopefully we end up somewhere in the middle.

SaintALia

But MSM told me I was beautiful just the way I am, and that exercise and fitness were toxic and symptoms of white supremacy. Weird
I don't think anyone has actually said this, but if they have, I would like to see it.

Anyway, I think the whole point of 'body positivity' is to be comfortable in your own skin and love your body, for obvious reasons.

I don't think people said NOT to exercise or lose weight, but to love yourself and your body and not shame others because of their weight/body. Essentially, don't be a dick about it.

The problem I saw with that is, it sorta implicitly encouraged people to feel comfortable being 'overweight'. Or overweight in the sense of being morbidly obese or 'unhealthy overweight', I've seen people calling others 'fat' when they're just slightly chubby or whatever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Never mind the fat ugliness and health issues huffing a puffing going up the stairs or jogging one lap around a track.

Dont super fat people ever just take the pragmatic approach and say enough is enough spending so much money pigging out and needing to buy new clothes over and over again? You dont just go from S as a kid to 3XLL as a fat ass. You go through the chain, so instead of stopping at around L size, just imagine the money spent buying XL, 2XL and then topping out at 3XL (or bigger?).

I love eating too, but it gets to a point I dont want to be spending so much $ on food or feeling like throwing up because I stuffed myself again like every day is buffet day or rebuying clothes. At some point it should reasonably level off. No human body says to go to extremes and keep eating until youre 380 lbs.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s amazing how this is one of those instances where we can safely say “the science is settled”, yet somehow we still seem to need more data.
Obesity begets disease. If you’re obese, there’s nothing you can lose by getting thinner except weight. Healthcare systems the world over would be able to do so much more and spend so much less if more people made the effort to just not get fucking obese.

Jinzo Prime

Never mind the fat ugliness and health issues huffing a puffing going up the stairs or jogging one lap around a track.

Dont super fat people ever just take the pragmatic approach and say enough is enough spending so much money pigging out and needing to buy new clothes over and over again? You dont just go from S as a kid to 3XLL as a fat ass. You go through the chain, so instead of stopping at around L size, just imagine the money spent buying XL, 2XL and then topping out at 3XL (or bigger?).

I love eating too, but it gets to a point I dont want to be spending so much $ on food or feeling like throwing up because I stuffed myself again like every day is buffet day or rebuying clothes. At some point it should reasonably level off. No human body says to go to extremes and keep eating until youre 380 lbs.

I really wished it worked that way dude, I really do.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The problem I have with this body positivity movement is that they always choose these shapeless blobs. Very few men find them attractive because they are just a balloon on legs.

I much prefer curvy women but only when they look like this:

Yu5by01.jpg
I Want Need GIF

Also losing weight for me is a must. Even though I am overweight I'm sure my constant walking helps me out. Plus my sporadic walking

Last edited:

Sonik

The problem I have with this body positivity movement is that they always choose these shapeless blobs. Very few men find them attractive because they are just a balloon on legs.

Yu5by01.jpg

Looks airbrushed as hell, when you're this fat your thighs don't look like that

GeekyDad

Good. the sooner i fucking die the better.

Where are the pies?
Let's do this!

Excited Lets Go GIF

Yu5by01.jpg
Come on, man! That's fucking gross!

I'd rather hump this fat kid:

196ogyX.jpg

BossLackey

Gold Member
I completely believe it.

"Healthy at every size" is complete bullshit. Lower body fat and periodic fasting has been proven over and over and over again to be one of the keys to longevity. That's how humans developed. We didn't always have food on hand.

Not eating for a period is built into our immune system. It initiates autophagy, which is very necessary in nipping cancer in the bud and healing in general. There are a million reasons not to be overweight and no good reasons for it.

Top Bottom