• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Were dinosaurs way smarter than we previously thought?

Spyxos

Gold Member
OIG.peEMkxUt2XK0k2Cmm2sw

There does appear to be some relationship between the brain to body ratio and intelligence, the so-called encephalization quotient. Animals with a higher proportion of body mass dedicated to the brain do tend to be smarter, but even this measurement has problems. For instance, recent research revealed that bird brains are both denser and more efficient than similarly sized mammal brains. Which means we can’t interpret intelligence based on size alone.

The more we learn about the myriad ways brains can arrange themselves, the more scientists realized they needed a different way of measuring or estimating intelligence, particularly in extinct species. Considering that theropod dinosaurs are the ancestors of modern birds, it’s reasonable to assume, at least barring evidence to the contrary, that they had similar brain structures. And if T. rex had more densely packed and more efficient neurons, it might have been considerably smarter than we’ve previously supposed.

Suzana Herculano-Houzel, neuroanatomist at Vanderbilt University and author of the new paper, used comparative anatomy to bump up modern birds and reptiles against extinct dinosaurs. They found that some dinosaurs had brain structures similar to birds while others were closer to reptiles. Then, using data about the neuronal density of birds and reptiles, Herculano-Houzel reconstructed the estimated density of neurons in extinct dinosaurs.

According to Herculano-Houzel’s findings, T. rex may have had as many as 3.3 billion neurons in its cortex and might have been as intelligent as a modern baboon. The paper also predicts T. rex would have taken about five years to reach maturity, and would have had a lifespan of about 50 years. It might also have been able to use tools, similarly to the way some birds and primates use sticks to fish for food.

Of course, those are bold claims which would require substantially more evidence, and the responses to Herculano-Houzel’s findings have been mixed.

BlackTron

I'm pretty disappointed that raptors actually had feathers, we've been sold a lie! Not that we ever knew exactly what it looked like, but this is akin to thinking all cats had a hairless appearance -the reality is drastically different from my JP action figure

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Dinosaurs are still around and some of them are incredibly smart. Crows. Those asshole parrots in New Zealand, I think they're called Kea. Regular parrots. Even parakeets are really smart. The last time I visited family in Hawaii I spent a morning catching up on a TV show in the backyard using my iPad. A little parakeet landed next to me and just chilled there watching the show with me for a while. Even dogs and cats are typically too stupid to enjoy a movie or TV show, but this little bird was down.

MrA

Banned
Of course they were they could wear sun glasses, rock out on electric guitars, skateboard , use a fragment of their eggs to travel back in time to teach a life lesson that just happens to align with one teenagers are having an issue with that week and have a friend named shades, which is not only his choice of Eyewear but also his only defining character trait,
Check out this documentary on it

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Of course they were they could wear sun glasses, rock out on electric guitars, skateboard , use a fragment of their eggs to travel back in time to teach a life lesson that just happens to align with one teenagers are having an issue with that week and have a friend named shades, which is not only his choice of Eyewear but also his only defining character trait,

Great now this theme song is stuck in my head. You owe me $5

MrA

Banned
Great now this theme song is stuck in my head. You owe me $5
Whoa calm down there, I think we need to peer into a dinosaur egg shell and be inexplicably transported back in time and we'll learn a really contrived life less that'll some how resolve this conflict

Mikado

Gold Member

I'm not sure I've ever seen that show. It was obviously of my time but I have no memory of ever having watched it.

However

I recall the entire theme song.

There are literally kilometers of neurons in my head dedicated to storing that atrocity - probably something I chanced upon once by accident while trying to find what time slot Robotech had moved to.

So at the end of the day -

Are we really taking advantage of our Big Mammal Brains?

MrA

Banned
I'm not sure I've ever seen that show. It was obviously of my time but I have no memory of ever having watched it.

However

I recall the entire theme song.

There are literally kilometers of neurons in my head dedicated to storing that atrocity - probably something I chanced upon once by accident while trying to find what time slot Robotech had moved to.

So at the end of the day -

Are we really taking advantage of our Big Mammal Brains?
Well you do no rules for headlines ending in a question mark.

As far as Denver the last dinosaur, show is trash with every episode following the exact same beats, every character has a one note personality

Top Bottom