• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Science has determined which pet is smarter, cats or dogs. It's dogs. By a long shot.

petran79

Banned
If you left most humans in the wilderness they'd fair just as well as said dog. I'm not going to say a cat is more intelligent than a human, however.

Same here, this applies to plenty of humans. Still more intelligent than a cat.

If you mean humans used to urban tech environment, I highly doubt it. Our generation will go hungry.

Solomeena

Banned
Fuck this study. As the resident Cat aficionado on Neogaf and long time owner of many cats i can easily tell you that your average cat is leaps and bounds more intelligent then dogs. I mean i have had multiple cats over the years that figured out how to work a goddamn door knob to a closed off room. A dog would just try to dig a hole under the door.

Ecto311

Fuck this study. As the resident Cat aficionado on Neogaf and long time owner of many cats i can easily tell you that your average cat is leaps and bounds more intelligent then dogs. I mean i have had multiple cats over the years that figured out how to work a goddamn door knob to a closed off room. A dog would just try to dig a hole under the door.
Dogs are known to open doors and do tons of stuff as service dogs. No service cats. Well ones that do shit. They just lick their paws and wait for food.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Don't like cats sorry I know so many people love them but nope not a fan. My friends have them and I never interact with them just not for me

Winchester

As much as I love my yellow lab, she's dumber than my cat. By far. But I still love her more than my cat. Because my cat is a little B.

Or maybe the dog quickly figures out that the doorknob is meant for humans to turn and it will simply ask or beg human to open door when required. Dogs actually understand pointing to objects. Cats do not. So dogs can guide humans to place of interest, such as doorknob.

A crow can do far more complex things with tools than even gorillas. Doesn't make the crow smarter than gorillas.

And now we pay homage to the best domesticated animal of all, the humble goat.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Goats are really cool actually but they get a little ram happy as they mature. I’ve actually wrestled goats that were being territorial and wouldn’t want me to pass some space. It’s like they’re kind of playing but they’re strong as fuck. You’re like, chill, ya goat.

Solomeena

Banned
Dogs are known to open doors and do tons of stuff as service dogs. No service cats. Well ones that do shit. They just lick their paws and wait for food.

Cats have evolved humans to service them, why would cats be "service cats"? I mean, isn't that the ultimate sign of intelligence, that we humans serve cats? I will be right back, my cat needs his weekly cat nip served on fine china.

I think there is a wide range of intelligence depending on the dog. Poodles and German Shepards are very smart. Chihuahuas and bulldogs, not so much.

The cats I've owned that I raised from a kitten seemed to be smarter than ones I acquired later in their lives. I think if they get a lot of human interaction as kittens, they will be more personable and outgoing.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I'd tolerate cats if they didn't make me unable to breathe. As it stands, if you have a cat I'll avoid you. Plus you may be infected with toxoplasmosis. Might as well be a zombie.

And it doesn't doesn't need to be said, but dogs are the best people.

Zewp

What I like about cats is that they tend to have very big variations in personality, even in the same breed. One golden retriever is pretty much just as goofy as the next. Cats vary a lot more. I have two and they couldn't be more different.

In that regard, rats are also very similar to cars. I owned pet rats a couple of years and every rat had a unique personality and quirks.

I refuse to accept the underlying premise of the study.

It is rather flimsy. Making a claim based on evidence intended to substantiate an unproven idea. Though I guess that's just the state of modern science.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
dogs are wholly domesticated. they have been trained to see humans as superiors, not equals. they are dependent on humans, and this dependency has made them subservient. in some way perhaps this puts them into a human mindset. at the very least they have bought into this arrangement.

by contrast cats still live like they are in the wild. they look at humans as just another animal, as equals, this is why their behavior is the same as their behavior towards other cats. they kind of have a dgaf attitude towards humans, wheres dogs are almost pathetically dependent on them.

it makes sense that dogs would do better at a human test because they have been trained for it for thousands of years.

Last edited:
Dogs don't see all humans as superiors. Dogs develop an inter-family social hierarchy with humans. Your dog will see just the one it perceives as the alpha male or female as the superior. Sometimes it will see itself as the sole alpha, typically if paired with a passive owner.

Interesting fact: while humans have about 16 billion neurons in cerebral cortex, Long-finned pilot whales have two times more, gorillas/orangutans are at around 9 billion:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of_neurons#Cerebral_cortex

Pilot Whales weigh ~15-20x more than the typical human. The typical dog weighs ~3-4x more than a typical cat.

Last edited:

Duallusion

"I believe the absolute number of neurons an animal has, especially in the cerebral cortex, determines the richness of their internal mental state and their ability to predict what is about to happen in their environment based on past experience," said Suzana Herculano-Houzel, associate professor of psychology and biological sciences at Vanderbilt, who oversaw the study with a collection of international researchers."

Call me lacking in number of neurons but... how exactly did this experiment prove her theory?

EDIT: Not that I necessarily object to the underlining (pre-)assumption that dogs in general are - or at the very least seem - smarter but still.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Still not smart enough to believe in intelligence dynamics.

FOOLED YOU PETTY HUMAN! LOOK AT YOU DESTROY THIS WORLD WITH YOUR LOWLY SUPERIORITY COMPLEX, WHY WE, DOG AND CAT, LIVE IN HARMONY!!!!!

I_D

He had his ribs surgically removed to do it.
It's true, look it up
it's not true

As a side note: This rumor was started before the internet, yet we all know it.
I find the propagation of rumors in the pre-internet age to be rather fascinating.

On-topic: While I do think dogs are smarter than cats, coming from a person who owns cats and not dogs, I don't know if the number of cortical neurons is an accurate measurement. It could simply mean that cats have become more streamlined than dogs. The whale mention is a perfect example; a larger number of neurons does not necessarily imply intelligence.

Top Bottom