• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - IMO one of Nintendo's best games in years

VGEsoterica

Nintendo always makes amazing games. They rarely if ever release something that plays or reviews poorly (I said rarely because Star Fox on Wii U is def iffy...) but sometimes they develop a game that is so new, unique and different that it feels special EVEN FOR NINTENDO.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is 100% one of those games. From the first Captain Toad level in 3D World to the last level in Treasure Tracker.

It's "Nintendo Creative" in the fact it takes an established genre (platforming) and changes just enough about it for it to feel almost like a new sub-genre onto itself. Who knew that removing the jump button would be enough to totally change our expectations!

Jumping is something we just 100% take for granted in gaming. If your character moves...they jump. From the original Mario Bros up through Odyssey jumping has been as common as moving left and right.

When Nintendo created Captain Toad levels for 3D Land what did they do? They took away our ability to jump. Then they made an entire 3D platforming game around this entire limitation...and it felt amazing.

Captain Toad both feels like an extension of the Mario franchise and an entirely new genre of Platformer at the same time. 3D navigation, path finding, avoiding enemies, collecting items...all here!

But not being able to jump changes the entire game and I say for the better.

But as someone who has been playing Nintendo games since the original Mario Bros on NES I 100% feel Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is one of Nintendo's best games in years. Fingers crossed we get a sequel!

cormack12

Gold Member
Nintendo always makes amazing games.

giphy-downsized.gif

jk

fart town usa

Gold Member
Captain Toad is awesome. I picked it up a few months back (WiiU) Need to finish it still but it's fun as hell. The first boss level is so great. Climbing up and avoiding the Dragon's fire. Really charming game.

Last edited:

Moomalade74

Banned
I loved the game design but there was something about the way the camera was always spinning around to see the neccessary angles that gave me a little bit of motion sickness. No other game outside VR has had that effect. Shame, had to stop playing.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think it's a shame it forever stuck with the "diorama" level design. It fit very nicely with the 3D mode on 3DS, even though that version is inferior in all other respects. However, it would be a better game if they let you explore full isometric maps. Maybe it would require the camera to lock up a bit more (oh noes...) but otherwise it would've made the game more engaging. Every level was a visual treat but felt like a tiny bite of cake at a time.

I liked it enough to play through all three chapters of the Wii U version. Tried the demo on the 3DS version and wished I had played it through that way.

Codes 208

it’s a very fun little puzzle game. I was pleasantly surprised when it came to the switch. And bonus: it’s one of the few switch ports that wasn’t full priced as well.

Hudo

Is there any replay value with that game? I'm not asking to mock or to be an ass. I am asking because I'm genuinely interested but I'm usually not a guy who buys a game just for one playthrough. And I figure that a puzzle game like that is fun for one playthrough and that's it.

JimboJones

Is there any replay value with that game? I'm not asking to mock or to be an ass. I am asking because I'm genuinely interested but I'm usually not a guy who buys a game just for one playthrough. And I figure that a puzzle game like that is fun for one playthrough and that's it.
Probably not, if you can get a lend of it or get it cheap second hand or WiiU version might be your best bet.

Hestar69

I beat this on the wiiu back in the day and enjoyed it. I had to rush because I had it on gamefly (gotta send it back to get a new game!) recently got it on the walmart price error and the game really is fun! nice change of pace to play after some PUBG.

Arkam

Had a great time with this one on the WiiU. Some really fun fun puzzles/levels. Never finished it. Would love to play it again but not going to rebuy for the switch. A shame. Would be a great travel game.

Holammer

Tried it with an emulator, actually played it to the point where you get to play as Toadette.
I'm buy a native PC version (easy promise, never gonna happen).

Codes 208

It was the same price it launched on Wii U though.
That hasn’t stopped them from upping the price of their ports (do tropical freeze was $50 on the Wii U)

But to further elaborate I’m referring to $60 as full price. This game launched at $40

Last edited:
Yep great mobile game that is pick up and play. Has challenges for each level and is cute to boot.
Needs more downloadable expansions for more levels and characters.

VGEsoterica

Yep great mobile game that is pick up and play. Has challenges for each level and is cute to boot.
Needs more downloadable expansions for more levels and characters.
I am surprised Nintendo didn't build expansion packs for it. I'd happily drop $5-10 for another 15 levels of Captain Toad

TexMex

It’s alright. Good not great. I got it on that Wal Mart pricing error with all the DLC for $4 which is of course worth it.

Shifty1897

I love this game to bits, it's my ultimate chill-out game. Highly recommended to anyone who is a little jaded from modern game design.

Shouta

Game is a lot of fun. You can also do speed runs and get stages down to some really low times which is pretty cool.

VGEsoterica

Game is a lot of fun. You can also do speed runs and get stages down to some really low times which is pretty cool.
It seems like the perfect speed run game as it's wholly down to memorization and input control. Seems like very little RNG in the game

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Probably the very best "B" tier game from Nintendo that they've made. Certainly enjoyed it more than Yoshi's Crafted World, anything Kirby, or Pikmin.

Although Link's Awakening was very, very good and that might be considered a B tier Nintendo game?

Shouta

It seems like the perfect speed run game as it's wholly down to memorization and input control. Seems like very little RNG in the game
Boss bird fights have a little bit of randomization but it's pretty small.

Interesting fact but some of the best times on individual stages are only achievable after going into the stage and then either dying once or restarting from within it.

Reviewer complains about having to find treasures to progress in a game called Treasure Trackers? ((shrugs))

Camera and touch/mic may have been a problem on Wii U, I don't know, I only played it on 3DS and don't recall having any issues with either. My only gripe was trying to control Sonic Toad in some of those later speed run levels. Yeesh.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I love the game, which we picked up at Christmas. I still need to finish it.

The presentation is vintage "little gardens" Nintendo, where you just marvel at the lovely dioramas of each level.

Have you played it with Labo VR? It's a great experience, even if it only lets you go through a subset of the total levels that way.

VGEsoterica

I love the game, which we picked up at Christmas. I still need to finish it.

The presentation is vintage "little gardens" Nintendo, where you just marvel at the lovely dioramas of each level.

Have you played it with Labo VR? It's a great experience, even if it only lets you go through a subset of the total levels that way.
I did. Lots of fun but it really just made me want Nintendo to create real VR hardware

Batiman

Banned
You just made me want to play it again. Loved this game and haven’t played since launch year on WiiU. I think I needed 2 or 3 more levels to actually 100% it. Some levels are hard as fuck form what I remember.

sublimit

Banned
I agree. One of the first games i picked for my WiiU (got the box that also included the Amiibo) and definetely one of the best for the system. Beautiful and clever without being pointlessly frustrating.

They really need to make a sequel.

Ah yes, here we have the common Nintendo apologist in its natural habitat.
I'm okay with the name calling. The irony still exists, whether you can appreciate it or not, in a review complaining that progression is tied to finding treasures in a game that is literally called Treasure Tracker.

That's similar to complaining that fighting games require you to win the fight, or racing games require you to place...

I'm okay with the name calling. The irony still exists, whether you can appreciate it or not, in a review complaining that progression is tied to finding treasures in a game that is literally called Treasure Tracker.

That's similar to complaining that fighting games require you to win the fight, or racing games require you to place...

I love the game, but your argument doesn't hold. An Assassin's Creed game can have a bunch of assasin missions that are not fun to play. That would be a legitimate complaint in a review, even of the word "Assassin" is in the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom