• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the state Nintendo launched Tears of the Kingdom in?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't have a switch anymore I'm dying to play this game and Xeno 3 DLC 😭
what-did-you-do-your-in-trouble.gif

Tams

Yeah, every time I enter a shrine I can’t help but think that it could’ve been nothing more but a portal straight trough (instant loading) on a modern system. That’d have been fantastic.
I'm not sure how that would add to the gameplay in any way.

Sure, the shrines have been made to suit the losing screen and that's one reason why that design was chosen.

But they also very clearly want the players to see them as separate spaces and instead of just invisibly banning outside objects being brought in, making it clear that your supposed to used the objects in the shrines to solve the puzzles.

SiahWester

The frame rate actually really bothers me lol. It can get unbearable in some areas dropping below 30fps. Overall it is a pretty stable game, but that should be expected since it's so similar to the first game I'd think.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

The frame rate actually really bothers me lol. It can get unbearable in some areas dropping below 30fps. Overall it is a pretty stable game, but that should be expected since it's so similar to the first game I'd think.
Framerate gets so bad in the villages. It’s terrible when there are too many effects too

Hopefully switch 2 gets a patch for this so it can be played the way it was meant to be

I mean is there anything else besides building random shit that this game is doing. Because I cant see anything here thats getting me excited lol I played and liked twilight princess. That was my last zelda.

But felt like a more focused, heroes journey experience. This feels like an open world following a trend of "look, player freedom" that makes modern gamers feel high brow. While seemingly....missing the charm of its predecessors. But im happy to be wrong if someone can sell me on it.

LakeOf9

I mean is there anything else besides building random shit that this game is doing. Because I cant see anything here thats getting me excited lol I played and liked twilight princess. That was my last zelda.

But felt like a more focused, heroes journey experience. This feels like an open world following a trend of "look, player freedom" that makes modern gamers feel high brow. While seemingly....missing the charm of its predecessors. But im happy to be wrong if someone can sell me on it.
Have you seen this trailer?

SiahWester

Framerate gets so bad in the villages. It’s terrible when there are too many effects too

Hopefully switch 2 gets a patch for this so it can be played the way it was meant to be
I think the worst frame dips I've got so far are around Zora's domain. It got nearly unplayable for me at times. Oddly enough the performance issues go away once you get rid of the sludge.

You can actually already run this game on an emulator at 60fps. I haven't tried it yet, but there's footage online. It looks like a modern game on emulators.

LakeOf9

I think the worst frame dips I've got so far are around Zora's domain. It got nearly unplayable for me at times. Oddly enough the performance issues go away once you get rid of the sludge.

You can actually already run this game on an emulator at 60fps. I haven't tried it yet, but there's footage online. It looks like a modern game on emulators.
Ya I’m going to replay this on emulation, I can’t even imagine how pretty it will look

I’ll also probably mod the menus a little because they’re so annoying in this lol

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I agree they are wizards, please Nintendo, give them some more power! If they can do this with this hardware, imagine what they could do with more!
Soon, I know, soon........

Fredrik

I agree they are wizards, please Nintendo, give them some more power! If they can do this with this hardware, imagine what they could do with more!
Soon, I know, soon........
Just don’t focus too much on 4K resolution, high res textures and ray-tracing. They need to keep using the power mainly for the underlying game systems that make TOTK so great.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just don’t focus too much on 4K resolution, high res textures and ray-tracing. They need to keep using the power mainly for the underlying game systems that make TOTK so great.

Not too worried about that, Nintendo has always managed to focus on gameplay first.

Have you seen this trailer?

You know I watched that trailer, and its strange...I typically love adventure-esque games. One of my all time favorites is kingdom hearts for gods sake.

There certainly seems like theres a ton in that game to kinda...do right? Like it showed alot of stuff link was doing, but still...I wondered, why am I not excited? Why am I not grabbed? Like I can see how it looks...grand, but for some reason something still bothers me.

Then I went and watched old trailers that excited me before the game released.

Here's one:

Notice the difference...

Then I watched metal gear 3's old ps2 trailer, god of war 2018 "be a warrior" trailer (hated ragnarok though)

This masterpiece of a trailer:

And I noticed something. And I figured it out. The Tears trailer had no...cohesive story. Like it showed link doing alot of stuff but it felt more like "look at all this shit you'll randomly do with no context", it didnt do anything to qwell my fears that this is a game with a light narrative focus but you kinda run around and find all this neat stuff.

rather, in the others, the trailers set up a form of pacing that got you to know that this is a journey. With people you'll meet, etc.

Zelda showed some...characters but it looked...not on the same level. It didnt set up the world well or give context to things that were happening on screen? Whereas in the kingdom hearts trailer, you really felt like the trailer was a mini adventure with a STORY. same with the sword of destiny trailer, the trailer told a story.

The zelda one in comparison felt like it had some lines from the story, and then just showed all the open world stuff.

Good trailer though. But yeah...watch those other trailers again, especially sword of destiny and kingdom hearts, then watch zeldas. Theres more of a randomness to zeldas that bothers me.

Good trailer though. But yeah...watch those other trailers again, especially sword of destiny and kingdom hearts, then watch zeldas. Theres more of a randomness to zeldas that bothers me.
Itis a true open world. There is no fixed sequence of events. You are not told to meet specific people. The game doesn't show what you would be doing because Nintendo doesn't know what you are doing. You are asking for a fixed script when it isn't a game on rails. This is a sandbox game that let you do things or not do them. It is NOT narrative driven.

EDIT: I got confirmation that the game allow you to fight the last boss with NO story quests done. As in no cut-scenes that explain the plot is needed, and no essential npcs, you don't even need the master sword or any power ups. The ending cut-scene would actually remember that you haven't gotten the master sword yet and hand it to you before the credits roll.

Hence the game trailer doesn't want to tell you what to do.

Spoilers

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
💯

Slightly related too, as it is to do with Nintendo and the rest of the industry. But I just watched RGT’s latest upload and I fully agree with a point he made. Nintendo’s withered technology approach is the best approach for consoles (he speculated that it might be). Whilst Microsoft and Sony (and other major devs) are locked in high expense, high risk, high reward cycles - Nintendo for the most part can keep dev costs relatively low. Everyone else is at risk of crashing at the moment IMO.
Not really.
The problem is one of perception. People expect “better” games on more expensive hardware because, well, the hardware just can.
You see people here say “I haven’t bought a $500 box to play indies” all the time. And that’s all there is to it. A game like TOTK could run at 6K on those machines, but it still wouldn’t be what people expect from those boxes. So it becomes a necessity to push those hardwares with cutting-edge graphics and uncompressed sound and all that shit because otherwise people will think they’ve wasted their money. Yet they absolutely want ever-better tech because it‘s assumed that it’s the tech that pushes the industry ahead. Nintendo making such games on weak hardware puts the industry into perspective, that’s why so many people are mad about its success and can‘t stop talking about “industry bias” and “Nintendo getting a pass for things others would be roasted for”.

Robb

Gold Member
I'm not sure how that would add to the gameplay in any way.

Sure, the shrines have been made to suit the losing screen and that's one reason why that design was chosen.

But they also very clearly want the players to see them as separate spaces and instead of just invisibly banning outside objects being brought in, making it clear that your supposed to used the objects in the shrines to solve the puzzles.
Oh, it wouldn’t. That’d just be a QoL feature I’d love to see. Sometimes I enter one of those ‘eventide-shrines’ and don’t really feel like doing it at that moment so I walk out. Having everything just be seamless would be amazing.

Last edited:
Itis a true open world. There is no fixed sequence of events. You are not told to meet specific people. The game doesn't show what you would be doing because Nintendo doesn't know what you are doing. You are asking for a fixed script when it isn't a game on rails. This is a sandbox game that let you do things or not do them. It is NOT narrative driven.

EDIT: I got confirmation that the game allow you to fight the last boss with NO story quests done. As in no cut-scenes that explain the plot is needed, and no essential npcs, you don't even need the master sword or any power ups. The ending cut-scene would actually remember that you haven't gotten the master sword yet and hand it to you before the credits roll.

Hence the game trailer doesn't want to tell you what to do.

Spoilers

I get that, but Im not feeling this tone of "not being told to meet certain people" or havung direction/context or something as just being seen as "omg they are telling me what to do". In gaming right now, people say it like its a superior way of gaming and I think its a potentially hurtful mindset for the medium.

Also it usually results in the open world quests being dull "grab this in this cave" etc that botw had. So its not like there needs to be a great main narrative, but the quests tend to have dry/repetitive context also. Thats just results as an excuse to um..."explore" more and do random shit to get to a destination. Give me some creative situations thats not always solely built around the combat mechanics or building something....

I hate to say this, because I KNOW some will fight me on this, but I just think its creatively....easier to replicate a non story game that has this mentality than it is to curate an engaging adventure that has people you care about, crrative non repetitive scenarios etc And thats why you are seeing more of it tbh.

You remember how kids used to/still play GTA? They'd just run around doing random shit right. Causing chaos. Even though gta has some awesome storytelling in there, thats how alot of people played it.

I feel like thats how everyone wants to play every open world game now lol

Other AAA titles are bad as well though. Broken on launch forcing people to wait for patches among other issues, AAA games are a joke period for years so I wouldn't just say it's this game.

Pigenator

Well they had ~6? years of dev time, with a game map, animations, and many assets that's mostly reused for this game as well.
Them basically neglecting any kind of graphical advancement, targeting 1080p @ 30 fps at best is such a lowly target that they can put all their efforts into gameplay and polish (one of the managers literally said they dedicated a whole year for bug fixing & polish)

LakeOf9

Well they had ~6? years of dev time, with a game map, animations, and many assets that's mostly reused for this game as well.
Them basically neglecting any kind of graphical advancement, targeting 1080p @ 30 fps at best is such a lowly target that they can put all their efforts into gameplay and polish (one of the managers literally said they dedicated a whole year for bug fixing & polish)
Nothing stops other developers from prioritizing game design and polish over nonsensical push for graphics

Top Bottom