• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty file size watch (Now 220GB w/ season 4 update on PS5, MP alone is 155GB)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-200-gb-file/

Probably the same on XSX but article only refs PS5

For many Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War players, file size is a constant concern on all platforms. As the game continues to add additional content, fans are watching the already massive file continue to grow. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Season 4's new addition of maps and weapons has amplified this issue, and fans increasingly want Treyarch to reduce the file size.

display

As a partial solution to this, fans can uninstall individual aspects of the game to try and reduce its file size. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies and the main campaign can be uninstalled if the player only wants to access its online multiplayer. Still, uninstalling the campaign only brings the number down to 154 GB, with the file still being larger than other titles.

TrueLegend

I HATE THIS large file trend. I have shadow of war but have never fully downloaded it yet looking at that 107GB file size. And I am sure the series X download size is going to be bigger. Just look at Forza and Gears 5 download size. It takes two is 44 GB meanwhile Sekiro is like 10GB. Why must we download 10 other language files which just inflate these download sizes. Can these companies not develop a better download mechanism.

-hadouken

They’re still working on the actual next-gen update for PS5 and Series X|S.

Article from May 2021.
Hope that includes Modern Warfare and not just Warzone. The install packs are so glitchy that reddit is full of posts about MW being off limits :/

FranXico

Yep on ps5 it 60 something gb for hitman 3 with all dlc etc on , im sure hitman 2 with all the dlc was 100-120gb but with hitman 3 they have managed to compress it all right down, cod is just a joke at that size, lets see what this yrs cod comes in at
Right, I was indeed making an assumption based on Hitman 2. But asset duplication is less of an issue nowadays. Good to know btw.

CuNi

Gold Member
Just saw a Update queued for Warzone and BLOPS3 and this thread just was that drop that made the barrel spill.
Uninstalled both and reclaimed 300GB HDD Space. That one Single Bundle was hogging 10% of my Game-Drive.
I'll come back when full install size gets below 150GB.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Betting it'll be asset duplication due to there being so many "open-world" areas. Each of which will likely heavily duplicate assets.

For example in Zombies alone, there are 5 outbreak maps which are derived from, but different to, the first Warzone map. 2 full-size round-based maps set in unique locations, and a load of smaller onslaught maps which are drawn from a variety of sources.

MastaKiiLA

Ha! That file size should belong to the largest-scale game ever made. Instead, it's a MP-focused shooter. So long as people keep buying these low-effort games, the devs won't feel motivated to optimize.

anthony2690

Banned
Source: https://gamerant.com/call-of-duty-black-ops-cold-war-200-gb-file/

Probably the same on XSX but article only refs PS5

For many Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War players, file size is a constant concern on all platforms. As the game continues to add additional content, fans are watching the already massive file continue to grow. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Season 4's new addition of maps and weapons has amplified this issue, and fans increasingly want Treyarch to reduce the file size.

display

As a partial solution to this, fans can uninstall individual aspects of the game to try and reduce its file size. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Zombies and the main campaign can be uninstalled if the player only wants to access its online multiplayer. Still, uninstalling the campaign only brings the number down to 154 GB, with the file still being larger than other titles.
Thanks reminded me to delete this game.
195GB with season 4 on series x.
Absolutely stupid how much space it takes.

Kilau

Gold Member
With the crazy short development cycles these games have, something’s gotta give and it’s your disk space.

Who knows there might be a sinister motive too given this is activison. Make the player feel invested so they don’t drop the game and take up so much space they can’t install any other games to distract them away.

KingT731

With the crazy short development cycles these games have, something’s gotta give and it’s your disk space.

Who knows there might be a sinister motive too given this is activison. Make the player feel invested so they don’t drop the game and take up so much space they can’t install any other games to distract them away.
The dev cycle for CoD isn't even short. They rotate the studios.

Cravis

It appears the issues are not the PS5 in actual next-gen games that take advantage of proper compression techniques and the like.

Queue Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem and the storage % charts.
They need to devote some resources to using the compression.

it reminds of Rockstar and how GTA Online took so long to boot. A fan took it upon themselves and discovered the reason for it and it was something that you’d think a multi billion dollar company would have had people that were looking at and fixing.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They need to devote some resources to using the compression.

it reminds of Rockstar and how GTA Online took so long to boot. A fan took it upon themselves and discovered the reason for it and it was something that you’d think a multi billion dollar company would have had people that were looking at and fixing.
They need to just get out the next gen native versions already, but something they're not being rushed with. I still think they will be over-bloated in comparison with most other games, even then.

As for the R* thing, I am wondering why they don't just patch that considering that it seemed like an easy edit, unless they wanted it by design for some unknown reason.

Last edited:

MikeM

I noticed it on my PS5 last week. There is no bloody way that CW is using PS5's compression tech with a size like that nor are duplicate textures removed. Lezz skinz, more file shrinkage devs.

Little Man Shrink GIF by Holly Logan

Last edited:
Top Bottom