• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty file size watch (Now 220GB w/ season 4 update on PS5, MP alone is 155GB)

Drizzlehell

Banned
A full install for both games is so huge that I simply can't fit them on my 825 GB PS5 which is just beyond ridiculous. Literally no game can justify an installation size like that, and especially not Call of friggin Duty, lol. What the hell is taking so much space in there, captain Price's mutton chops?

rolandss

What the fuck? Didn't they state they would [drastically] reduce file size a couple of months ago?

Why is this game's install size so big anyway?
My theory has always been that it forces everyone to download all of the new paid DLC that you haven't actually purchased to push it on you so when you buy it its there. These updates only ever seem to come out when there's new paid DLC and they're always massive. I've never paid for CoD DLC but somehow the game has bloated to 3 times the size compared to when I bought it. I don't suddenly have 3 times the game. If i'm right its the worst way to do it and seems totally lazy. Sony and MS should introduce policies to stop it.

CuNi

Gold Member
My theory has always been that it forces everyone to download all of the new paid DLC that you haven't actually purchased to push it on you so when you buy it its there. These updates only ever seem to come out when there's new paid DLC and they're always massive. I've never paid for CoD DLC but somehow the game has bloated to 3 times the size compared to when I bought it. I don't suddenly have 3 times the game. If i'm right its the worst way to do it and seems totally lazy. Sony and MS should introduce policies to stop it.

I think it depends on what bloats it up.
If it's maps then yeah. If you don't own them, they shouldn't be downloaded. But you need everything else like weapons, skins, animations, textures etc. Because people you play against even on old maps could be using those so you need those assets if you don't want to start splitting the player base to only match make with people that own the same DLC combination.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I've never paid for CoD DLC but somehow the game has bloated to 3 times the size compared to when I bought it. I don't suddenly have 3 times the game.
Yes you do, cold war doesn't have paid DLC map packs, all the added maps are free for everyone, the free battlepass also has free gun skins and operators.
They moved away from paid map packs so the player base doesn't get splintered.

Edit:
Install sizes launch - now
MP 28GB - 45GB (21 maps added)
Zombies 7.5GB - 19GB (3 maps added)
Dead ops 12GB - 14GB
HD assets 38GB - 43GB
Raytracing 12GB - 13.4GB

Last edited:
Top Bottom