• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sales at Bungie were running 45% below projections for year

Roxkis_ii

Neogaf: Destiny 2 is such a shit game.
Steam:
mLJF5Tr.png

Mostly positive for recent reviews, even after a bad expansion. Hopefully a lesson was learned from lightfall and the delay of final shape will help it be better.

Also, no one here played the factions game that was canceled. So no one here is able to judge it's quality. It could have actually sucked.

Ozriel

M$FT
Steam:
mLJF5Tr.png

Mostly positive for recent reviews, even after a bad expansion. Hopefully a lesson was learned from lightfall and the delay of final shape will help it be better.

Also, no one here played the factions game that was canceled. So no one here is able to judge it's quality. It could have actually sucked.

Stop making up arguments to refute. People aren’t saying Destiny 2 was a bad game. The commentary is about the most recent expansion that was poorly received by critics and players.

You have hard data about reduced engagement and declining revenues below projections and
71% is two percentage points above the 69% Metacritic.

Destiny is 9 yo. This "massive" layoff round is good for them.

Good thing the bulk of the conversation is about Destiny 2, eh?

Ronin_7

Banned
I think Bungie knows Destiny is done and is moving on.

The next expansion is the last one, i think Destiny is done for.

So makes sense they get rid of Destiny Team or transfer the Developers into other projects.

After lay offs Bungie has around 1100-1150 employees.

Goalus

You have hard data about reduced engagement and declining revenues below projections and
What I learned from recent threads here is that engagement is not a real metric and is only used to cover up otherwise bad numbers.
So I don't think that reduced engagement is anything to worry about. Whether a game has 0 or a million DAUs makes no difference. What matters is how many copies were sold during the first two weeks.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Destiny when it was first announced sounded great, then we found out it was a grind fest GaaS dumpster.

Not trying to offend anyone who likes it as I know it has amazing gunplay and feels great to play from the few dozen hours I played of it and 2.

But in reality why can Bungie now not make an amazing single player game, or are they just stuck in this multiplayer vicious circle now, genuine question. Destiny is so unappealing to new fans now as it seems if you weren’t in from the start, it’s very difficult to get in to. A “lifestyle” game as many people say.

Still not sure why they were acquired, seems like a huge waste of money with basically zero output so far.

Steam:
mLJF5Tr.png

Being a Naughty Dog game, I doubt the game sucked, more likely the problem was sustainability and monetization path.

I think the rumors and hyperbole around the game area are likely overstated.

I'm guessing they were planning to release the game in late spring or early summer to cash in on the hype of the tv show and the release of the PC game, but when it didn't meet expectations they decided to delay the game.

In deciding to delay the game it doesn't make sense to maintain a level of support for the game or QA testers who are on contract. It also may make more sense to focus on other games while they think about the monetization structure of the game and create a new roadmap.

They almost certainly want to get TLOU2 ready for PS5 and PC for season 2, but my guess is season 2 is going to be delayed maybe up to early 2025.

So the actor strike itself may be a good reason to delay the online game further.

I think the delays around the show and the game probably pushed Naughty Dog off the 2024 slate, and when that became clear, they had to reduce costs.

TLOU Online - Initially planned for 2023
TLOU2 PS5/PC - Initially planned for 2024
New IP - Originally planned for 2025/2026

Then you probably have complications due to the likely Uncharted game not faring well at Sony Visual Arts, meaning Naughty Dog has probably been brought in to take over that game as well. That being either Uncharted Reboot or Uncharted 5.

So if Naughty Dog has to take over Uncharted, do Neil's new IP, manage the port of TLOU2 in-house since they don't trust Iron Galaxy anymore, you could see why things would get shuffled and why they might lay some non-essential staff off.

So if you think about

TLOU Online
TLOU 2 PS5/PC
New IP
Uncharted

That is a lot of potential work, so would it be at all surprising to delay TLOU Online or put it on ice?

I mentioned that Naughty Dog could be working on the following games:

TLOU Online
TLOU 2 PS5/PC
New IP
Uncharted

But they also almost certainly have TLOU3 on the books as well...

Imagine this new timetable/roadmap

TLOU 2 PS5/PC - 2025
Season 2 of TLOU (TLOU2 Part 1) - 2025
TLOU Online - 2025/2026
Season 3 of TLOU (TLOU2 Part 2) - 2026
Uncharted Reboot - 2026
New IP - 2027
TLOU3 - 2028
Season 4 TLOU (TLOU3) - 2029

That would be crazy output if that is the case. Even if you took out the Uncharted Reboot.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

TLOU Online
TLOU 2 PS5/PC
New IP
Uncharted

TLOU 2 PS5/PC - 2025
TLOU Online - 2025/2026
Uncharted Reboot - 2026
New IP - 2027
TLOU3 - 2028

That would be crazy output if that is the case. Even if you took out the Uncharted Reboot.

3 of those are television shows produced by HBO. The actual game developers aren’t really working on that are they?

TLOU2 looks incredible as it is, I don’t really need anymore remakes of TLOU, it’s getting beyond absurd.

That timetable looks extremely bleak to me in all honesty. There’s such a thing as too much of a particular IP.

Last edited:

Alex Scott

TLOU Online
TLOU 2 PS5/PC
New IP
Uncharted

TLOU 2 PS5/PC - 2025
TLOU Online - 2025/2026
Uncharted Reboot - 2026
New IP - 2027
TLOU3 - 2028

Stop counting TV shows as games. It is ridiculous. THey are not making it. Thats HBO and Sony TV.
At best NaughtyDog have TLOU online or TLOU 3. The rest you mention is only in your head.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Steam:
mLJF5Tr.png

its bad and its gonna get worse :p

Tams

I just stopped caring about Destiny after they launched the second one and didn't really address any of my concerns from the first game. Not bad by any stretch, and the art direction was fantastic. I just didn't give a shit enough about the story to feel encouraged to come back and the nature of it's PVP system and grinding for loot to be viable just killed my enthusiasm. Even if they were to make a stellar 3rd game, I just don't care about the universe and would probably skip it unless they were doing something so well and unique that I had no choice but to play.

I remember the trailer in the first one and was expecting a Guild Wars in the future with shooting.

Massive let down.

MMaRsu

Banned
Steam:
mLJF5Tr.png

You mean fans of the game will give it a good rating?

Wow

MMaRsu

Banned

Yeah firing the people who designed the Halo logo, and made Bungie what they are... Sure fire them instead of the dumbass execs at the top who made these false projections.

Bond007

I think they have messed up by continuing D2.
Its too big for its own good at the moment- convoluted if you ask me. This coming from someone that has played most of its expansions.

Make a new IP or draw the crowd back in with a fresh next gen D3.

Portugeezer

Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.
Yeah I tried getting into it when they released the 60fps patch and it went "free to start" because Destiny 1 was OK, but boy what a confusing mess.

I can understand current players who enjoy the game sticking around, but they make it hard to attract new players like this, surely.

Tomeru

Yeah firing the people who designed the Halo logo, and made Bungie what they are... Sure fire them instead of the dumbass execs at the top who made these false projections.
Holy shit they fired the people who designed the halo logo?!?!

It’s fine that Bungie has GaaS games but they shouldn’t have forgotten their roots. With as many teams as they have had, they should’ve had one make it decent campaign experience with co-op and just have it be stand.

Stop counting TV shows as games. It is ridiculous. THey are not making it. Thats HBO and Sony TV.
At best NaughtyDog have TLOU online or TLOU 3. The rest you mention is only in your head.

Where did I say they were games and yes Naughty Dog is involved with the making of these TV shows, so it counts against their workload, particularly Neil's.

Also,

If you don't think they're going to port TLOU2 to PC, you're out of your mind.

And Neil has already confirmed he is working on a new original IP

We also know that there have been cuts at Visual Arts which was supposed to be building out a new Uncharted game.

MMaRsu

Banned
Holy shit they fired the people who designed the halo logo?!?!

Yup

It came to light Bungie had fired some incredibly storied veterans of the company like its composer Michael Salvatori, there since the pre-Halo days, and Lorraine McLees, who designed the original Halo logo.

She started in 1999 at Bungie.

Tomeru

I was being sarcastic.

Being a veteran doesn't automatically mean you know what you're doing. Being a veteran is good when your product kills it, but means nothing when you kill the product. There are enough examples of veterans who don't create anything "good" around.
Lol designed the halo logo. Who gives a shit.

NickFire

Destiny 2 was good for a while. But too much monetization, followed by next time we will get it right type of messages, and older content feeling useless over time turned me right off.

MMaRsu

Banned
I was being sarcastic.

Being a veteran doesn't automatically mean you know what you're doing. Being a veteran is good when your product kills it, but means nothing when you kill the product. There are enough examples of veterans who don't create anything "good" around.
Lol designed the halo logo. Who gives a shit.

You are an absolute idiot, sorry to say. She was an art director for 20 years at the company.

The reason these people are being fired is because they would have gotten their shares vested, but if your fired before a certain year after Sony acquisition those shares revert to Bungie.

Its all about money, it has nothing to do with talent you jackass.

Tomeru

You are an absolute idiot, sorry to say. She was an art director for 20 years at the company.

The reason these people are being fired is because they would have gotten their shares vested, but if your fired before a certain year after Sony acquisition those shares revert to Bungie.

That's Mr. Idiot Jackass to you.

Shut0wen

Biggest problem with destiny 2 is right now its impossible to attract new players, especially considering how much you have to pay in order to experience the full game, i made a thread saying i wanted to try the game out but theres so many expansions and alot of them get delisted after a couple of years (seriously who thought that was a good idea) theres a reason why activision fucked them off now sony is left to deal with them, cant see them making a come back until they give up the ghost and make a new IP

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

It's about both.

They fired the most expendable employees and retained those they thought provided the company with the most value.

People who are 50+ years old are ancient in the creative fields.

Freeman76

This company are dogshit.

Lets make a loot game and sell the best looking loot seperately from the main game

Lets sell a season pass for everything and then fuck all the cunts who didnt get time to play it when it was 'live'

Lets put a shitload of activities behind paywalls so people dont even know what version of the game they need to access everything

Lets vault content cos we cant be arsed to make it fit anymore

Lets fire 100 ppl who had nothing to do with these decisions because our playerbase arent happy with us and arent paying up.

Total cunts at the helm of this company, and we all thought Activision were the problem. Since that partnership ended its got WORSE.

Top Bottom