• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sales at Bungie were running 45% below projections for year

ByWatterson

I played D2 since launch, but Lightfall was the final nail in the coffin that made me abandon the game.

They sold us an expansion that was the most expensive one they'd ever priced, was the most lacking in content (with half cut-out and sold separately in dungeon and raid passes), with a completely shitty and forgettable story, with the single worst voice-acted character in the history of Destiny (yes... even worse than Phoned-in Peter Drinklage from D1).

They inexplicably jacked up the difficulty of the game, which made doing even the basic activities a chore, and made what was already a grindy-ass game, into a fucking absurd grindfest on a similar level of Korean MMOs.

And to make it even worse, the story went nowhere and ended on a cliffhanger wherein nothing of any real value even happened.

From that point, it was clear Bungie had well and truly gone to shit. So I wasn't going to support their shit any longer. They fucked up with the original D2 launch and first-year expansions, but clawed it back over the next few years, creating one of the best live service games out there... only to shit all the player goodwill down the crapper with LightFall.... You can't make this level of utter fucking blunder twice... players won't forgive you a second time.

You are speaking with the same clarity I felt when leaving after Beyond Light. The monetization of FOMO (combined with NO support for PVP) became too much.

Halo Infinite does it so well - season passes that pay for themselves AND that NEVER expire, cool, free events, new maps and modes all free, and a cosmetic store that isn't necessary to use unless you're a huge fan.

Seriously, Halo is everything I wish Destiny was. Supported, fair, and essentially NO FOMO.

Astray

Gold Member
The more details that come out about those layoffs the dumber they seem tbh.

Also the COVID boom days are clearly well and truly over for the industry, there's gonna be some hard times coming.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ceo leaving. No leadership with strengths to take his place. Stupid gaas strategy when u are the best to create sp games and that's what made u leader worldwide on console business.

PS with only 16 studios mosy really small. Now trying to pivot strategy. 1 aaa game released this year. Poor comunication with consumers. No roadmap of future launches. Besides wolwerine there is no clue of internal fp games. Nothing for 2024 until now.

I thinking they are flerting hard for a ps3 disaster again next gen.

I remember when we pointed out that Xbox lacked first party games for YEARS and the response we got was, "Who cares about exclusives? It's about multiplat titles."

[Sigma]

Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.
And for returning players as well. I last played at the launch of Witch Queen. Kinda wanted to jump back in about a month ago, but the minute I started researching what to do and how... I abandoned that idea, probably for good. No real desire to see what Destiny 3 does different, because I have a feeling that no matter what they promise, it'll be more of the same.
This is ultimately why I haven't played. I've said several times on here I believe that I may as well become a destiny player since Battlefield has let me down and im not playing any other multiplayer shooters and im now having that itch to play them. But as a soon as I looked into the store everything looked daunting so I closed it out and never entertained it again.

Last edited:

Ogbert

I absolutely love Destiny to bits. Alongside WoW, it’s given me such good times.

But the game is so tired these days. Recycling the same shit content and events. They pour all their focus into expansions, in terms of the campaign, but then fall back on the same tired stuff for the rest of the season.

Game needs a total change in direction.

Well they’re still milking the same game over and over again. Who still has time for Destiny 2? There’s so many great games coming out, why stick with D2?

Maybe they should make something new. And this time maybe make it single-player and I might even buy it for $70.

Out of gaas.
Bungie, ND and Play Station:
LCk1oyp.gif

Thirty7ven

Banned
Don't think you really get to tell people that they don't know what they are talking about when you can't even do a simple 2 digit math equation.

Here let me help you, according to YOU Destiny 2 came out in 2013 because 2023 minus 10 is 2013. But Destiny 2 came out in 2017, so + 10 is 2027.

Your welcome. Math is hard I know, go back to school and get educated.

On topic though, this was a horrible acquisition. Sony really fucked themselves. Bungie is too worried about the LatinX bullshit pandering instead of making good games and less greedy fucking decisions.

I’m glad you left all pretense of being anything other than a smooth brain behind you. You made a meal out of that?

Your speculation sounds like hopium but that’s more of the same.

Karma for canceling Factions. Maybe their GaaS strategy isn’t so great long term
Time to release Factions. Naughty Dog have done more for Sony than Bungie will ever do.

Bungie should never have a say on any of the big Sony Studios games anyway.

If they don't want to release Factions as its own game at least bundle it into the Part 2 remaster and PC release.

Bungie is getting a reality check. 45% below expectations and basically a 1-year delay?

I wondered how Sony and ND are taking this news from the supposed experts on GaaS.

I would be pretty fucking pissed. This shitstorm is just beginning.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Bungie is getting a reality check. 45% below expectations and basically a 1-year delay?

I wondered how Sony and ND are taking this news from the supposed experts on GaaS.

Naughty Dog can’t come out with a Gaas Last of Us that will be supported for years, this is the problem. Unless they turned their whole studio into gaas dev?

I think Sony moving forward is in a world of hurt along with their studios. It's going to be rough times which is sad because I wanted too see what ND is cooking up.

Muffdraul

Sorry, Bungie. I've been a fan since I played Marathon 1 in 1995, but you can suck my dick with your MMO Destiny shit. I decided a long time ago, you're not getting any more of my money until you give me another good solo campaign I can sink my teeth into, like you always used to.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Layoffs are always unfortunate, but I wish the lead designers of Destiny 2 could be replaced. So many aspects of the game and the way they do business feels anti-consumer, or just plain dumb. Example: they design a game explicitly meant to be a social experience in many respects, and yet after years of being in service it still lacks some basic social tools to connect players for much of the content. They instead encourage people to use third party websites and Discord. Like, I don't want to live the Destiny lifestyle or some shit just to enjoy the game. I want to sit on my couch, fire up the game, and play with others for a half hour or so. Not fire up the game, get my laptop ready to browse to some site, have Discord running on my iPad, and spend a half hour just trying to find people to play with.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I dunno, maybe make a new game? And an actual full normal game? I've tried it a couple of times, not even sure what to do, and the levels I tried seemed......ok?
It's only been 6 years and counting.......

I said at the time that acquiring Bungie felt like a knee jerk reaction to Bethesda. Even so, Destiny was clearly on a decline. I can't say I ever fancied it but none of my friends who used to play it so do anymore. Looking at my friends list on PlayStation so few people even have trophies for Destiny or Destiny 2.

That being said they're still independent within PlayStation.

Though maybe people will finally start asking questions.

Naughty Dog project allegedly on ice. Many laid off there. Bungie on layoffs. Connie Booth and her team gone.

I wonder when more people will think Jim Ryan has been given marching orders.

I said at the time that acquiring Bungie felt like a knee jerk reaction to Bethesda. Even so, Destiny was clearly on a decline. I can't say I ever fancied it but none of my friends who used to play it so do anymore. Looking at my friends list on PlayStation so few people even have trophies for Destiny or Destiny 2.

That being said they're still independent within PlayStation.

Though maybe people will finally start asking questions.

Naughty Dog project allegedly on ice. Many laid off there. Bungie on layoffs. Connie Booth and her team gone.

I wonder when more people will think Jim Ryan has been given marching orders.
The biggest problem is how apparently the wokeness at Bungie spread like a mind virus and infected the rest of Playstation Studios in the West. Hopefully they'll cull the wokes with this round of layoffs and try to reduce the spread of the virus. I know Japan doesn't give a fuck about wokeness, so if the actual Japanese execs regain control of Playstation they can probably right the culture of Sony Interactive Entertainment pretty quickly.

The biggest problem is how apparently the wokeness at Bungie spread like a mind virus and infected the rest of Playstation Studios in the West. Hopefully they'll cull the wokes with this round of layoffs and try to reduce the spread of the virus. I know Japan doesn't give a fuck about wokeness, so if the actual Japanese execs regain control of Playstation they can probably right the culture of Sony Interactive Entertainment pretty quickly.
Play station was already infected

Dynasty8

Destiny's story has been on a roller coaster because of this mind virus. Lightfall's narrative was driven by that bullshit too.

You can thank narrative lead Robert Brookes who insists on forcing many of the game's characters as gay, trans and cringe. It's pretty clear what's changed since he was brought into the position of lead. The tone of interesting mystery has dissipated in exchange for childish marvel/fortnite humor. Lightfall's Nimbus is the worst character I've ever seen in any video game.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Bungie hoodwinked Sony for $3.6 billion.

No doubt both parties looked over numbers, came to an agreement on a price and everything is rosy.

Woops. Looks like Bungie overestimated juicy projections and Sony fell for it. Makes no sense how a gaming company can miss by 45%.

Sony should had offered $1.6 billion.

I love the faux surprise.

Destiny Light Fall has a 69 on metacritic with a user review average of 2.9...

Why would anyone be surprised that sales were half of what was expected?

This compared to Witch Queen last year which had a metacritic of 85 and a user review of 8.0.

I love the faux surprise.

Destiny Light Fall has a 69 on metacritic with a user review average of 2.9...

Why would anyone be surprised that sales were half of what was expected?

This compared to Witch Queen last year which had a metacritic of 85 and a user review of 8.0.
the surprise is that maybe the hardcore fans are finally moving on and the game is so old that they are not getting new users.

catastrophic.

taylor34

Neo Member
I've tried to get into Destiny multiple times. The thing that kills it for me is that the navigation for new players is atrocious. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go most of the time, making it hard to get into, I just give up before getting too far.

Neolombax

They have nobody to blame but themselves for weak sales. After the Witch Queen expansion, I was so ready for Lightfall. But ever since the Lightfall reveal up to playing the actual expansion, it has been nothing but disappointment. Story content was absolutely weak and confusing, the recycled weapons were uninspiring, the big expansion raid was a letdown. So far 1 new PVP map, and only 1 new strike. Rumors were that Lightfall was supposed to be the last expansion, but instead they stretched it and content was redistributed to include another expansion The Final Shape. And the latest Final Shape showcase was not exciting at all. There was nothing shown that made me want to drop a pre-order.

Shubh_C63

I don't know how people got the impression Bungie isn't the Top talented studio in the world, yes even including Destiny.

LIGHTFALL despite being bad is still pulling around the same numbers it did for previous seasons. That's a fact.

You don't need micro transactions for ANYTHING except emotes/skins. And things gets confusing whenever you don't follow Bungie's prime payment plan of people buying Annual pass, which is priced really well if you ONLY play Destiny.

It's reaping benefits of their labor time at Bungie, and LIGHTFALL was absolutely that. Cash grab. Their projection were clearly WAY TOO HIGH to have missed 45% given their own known quality of LF expansion.

Bungie is literally amongst the Top 5 company (might even be Rank#2) who was able to sustain GaaS model. Buying them was a no brainer for Sony.

FeastYoEyes

I know a couple people who play Destiny 2 still and they do not like it. It sounds like a full time job and there's no joy left in it for them.

Top Bottom