• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sales at Bungie were running 45% below projections for year

Draugoth

Gold Member
640x427.jpg

According to a new Bloomberg Report, Bungie sales last year were very low:

Bungie’s decision to cut an estimated 100 jobs from its staff of about 1,200 followed dire management warnings earlier this month of a sharp drop in the popularity of its flagship video game Destiny 2.

Just two weeks ago, executives at the Sony-owned game developer told employees that revenue was running 45% below projections for the year, according to people who attended the meeting.

Chief Executive Officer Pete Parsons pinned the big miss on weak player retention for Destiny 2, which has faced a poor reception since the release of its latest expansion, Lightfall.

The next expansion, The Final Shape, was getting good — not great feedback — and management told those present that they planned to push back the release to June 2024 from February, according the people, who asked not to be identified because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly. The additional time would give developers a chance to improve the product.

Godot25

Banned
I mean. I get missing projections...but holy shit, 45%?

And I get that Lightfall was not that good, but they also increased price of Season Pass so that should have offset things a bit.

And funniest thing about it is that THIS Bungie is advising PlayStation what to do with their live service portfolio and they basically cancelled TLOU Factions game and probably also cancelled Deviation GaaS game. Truly insane.

I just stopped caring about Destiny after they launched the second one and didn't really address any of my concerns from the first game. Not bad by any stretch, and the art direction was fantastic. I just didn't give a shit enough about the story to feel encouraged to come back and the nature of it's PVP system and grinding for loot to be viable just killed my enthusiasm.

Even if they were to make a stellar 3rd game, I just don't care about the universe and would probably skip it unless they were doing something so well and unique that I had no choice but to play.

Last edited:
I played D2 since launch, but Lightfall was the final nail in the coffin that made me abandon the game.

They sold us an expansion that was the most expensive one they'd ever priced, was the most lacking in content (with half cut-out and sold separately in dungeon and raid passes), with a completely shitty and forgettable story, with the single worst voice-acted character in the history of Destiny (yes... even worse than Phoned-in Peter Drinklage from D1).

They inexplicably jacked up the difficulty of the game, which made doing even the basic activities a chore, and made what was already a grindy-ass game, into a fucking absurd grindfest on a similar level of Korean MMOs.

And to make it even worse, the story went nowhere and ended on a cliffhanger wherein nothing of any real value even happened.

From that point, it was clear Bungie had well and truly gone to shit. So I wasn't going to support their shit any longer. They fucked up with the original D2 launch and first-year expansions, but clawed it back over the next few years, creating one of the best live service games out there... only to shit all the player goodwill down the crapper with LightFall.... You can't make this level of utter fucking blunder twice... players won't forgive you a second time.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.
yeah everytime i wanna jump back in destiny i always have to ask my old clan what exactly do i need and they always seem to have no clue, they just buy the mega ultimate editions with life passes and whatever dumb shit.

I really hope D3 is this big reset like apparently all the rumors say it's going to be.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Well, the latest stuff has been super underwhelming. Everything in the two seasons after the expansion, should have been in the expansion. They were literally vital to the story of it but were cut out for money. Don’t even get me started on the content of the expansion either. They then raised the prices of everything and charged for more things.

It’s been a bed of their own making. I bought the expansion and the season pass 4 pack and can’t be troubled to even log back in right now.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.

And for returning players as well. I last played at the launch of Witch Queen. Kinda wanted to jump back in about a month ago, but the minute I started researching what to do and how... I abandoned that idea, probably for good. No real desire to see what Destiny 3 does different, because I have a feeling that no matter what they promise, it'll be more of the same.

Sanepar

How do you figure?
Ceo leaving. No leadership with strengths to take his place. Stupid gaas strategy when u are the best to create sp games and that's what made u leader worldwide on console business.

PS with only 16 studios mosy really small. Now trying to pivot strategy. 1 aaa game released this year. Poor comunication with consumers. No roadmap of future launches. Besides wolwerine there is no clue of internal fp games. Nothing for 2024 until now.

I thinking they are flerting hard for a ps3 disaster again next gen.

Legendary studio. Destiny 2 is ten year old.

Some of you don’t know wtf you’re talking about.
Don't think you really get to tell people that they don't know what they are talking about when you can't even do a simple 2 digit math equation.

Here let me help you, according to YOU Destiny 2 came out in 2013 because 2023 minus 10 is 2013. But Destiny 2 came out in 2017, so + 10 is 2027.

Your welcome. Math is hard I know, go back to school and get educated.

On topic though, this was a horrible acquisition. Sony really fucked themselves. Bungie is too worried about the LatinX bullshit pandering instead of making good games and less greedy fucking decisions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom