• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Sales at Bungie were running 45% below projections for year

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yeah, I have to imagine that the amount of new players is crazy low at this point. They always said it was a 10 year game, and it's been 10 years.

I had my fill after like a year in Destiny 1, and i think that "loot cave" exploit was the most fun i had with the game. I did like the gunplay though.

The game has run its course. Time to KILL IT!

MarkMe2525

Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.
I jumped in about a year ago and quickly noped out when I could not figure out what dlc I needed. Granted I didn't spend much time looking into it, but I also should not have to.

Bungie can make great gameplay

They can even make great Co-Op GaaS games

BUT.....

They are overburdened with all sorts of baggage. Need to find a way to make new players not overwhelmed with their universe so that it's more inviting, and a way to combine all their expansions so getting loot in one doesn't automatically render another obsolete

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sad that people lost jobs, but I hope that this is interpreted as a wake up call about A) Loot games having had their moment in the mainstream and B) about how much is an appropriate amount to spend on a game's development.

If more games were focused on being less expensive to develop but fun to play, rather than cinematic experiences with gameplay loops that hook players into doing repetitive grinding daily, then we might have games that have more personality, individuality and not cause studios to be closed down if they have a game underperform.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

D2 is a mess and a microtransaction hellhole with pieces of the main stories and content missing. One of the worst developers that take advantage of their userbase.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Time for the "its fine" sony brigade to assemble once again for this thread ... GO GO GO

P.s. on topic... GOOD! fuck gaas and fuck Sony push for it ..

GHound

MS and Sony should allow Bungie to develop a multiplat Halo game with f2p MP.
That's funny as hell and something I'd like to see.
If only for the fights it would cause.

Happy Hour Sport GIF by US Open

Last edited:

Pelao

I've never liked a single Bungie game and I've been giving them chances here and there since 2001. I understand that their games control well, but everything else surrounding the control responsiveness of their games seems like crap to me.
And with Destiny 2 I didn't even try, since by the time I wanted to give it a shot, the content at the beginning of the game wasn't available for some retarded reason. So forgive me if I never understood the hype for this acquisition in the first place.

Lupin25

This isnt a surprise to those who play Destiny 2.

The bigger issue are the delays.

No one wants Destiny 2 anymore. Player count will plummet even more by the time the next expansion arrives.. Annnd since it’s delayed, we know the product isn’t good enough.

The wait for Marathon will be excruciating.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bungie had it right the first time. The grass isn't always greener...

however...staying with Xbox...Destiny would have never been made. Halo 4 5 and 6 woulda been all Bungie.

Last edited:

decisions

The layoffs are justified by Sony with a 45% miss. That is massive and I expect Sony to also shuffle Bungie leadership and whatever business departments created those targets.

Puscifer

Destiny 2 is expensive and buying DLC is convoluted for new players.
Literally turned me away from it, just do what MMOs do and release everything after a major expansion for previous players. I honestly can't tell what I SHOULD be buying even though it's very popular on my Steam friends list

Lightfall = Profitfall

Really dumb to lay a stinker like that before the final DLC but here we are.

All anyone wanted was some space aliens with coherent nefarious schemes to fight and some lore reveals... ya know, like we got with Witch Queen. Instead we got a non-binary space surfer ninja turtle and a plot where they don't even try to explain their MacGuffin.

Sleepwalker

Mentioned it in the other thread but the biggest joke here is the fact that Jimbo and co thought it was appropriate to let Bungie start advising all their other studios regarding GAAS.

funny-lol.gif

Fire the lot of them.
Not only that but buying a studio like this and allowing it to stay multiplatform + it literally having only 1 valuable IP that's on the decline.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Stepping in to it:
Destiny always seemed to have a lot of potential but the execution was always a cluster fuck.

I have to wonder how out of touch those projections were. Likely worse than EIDOS Squeenix Shit.

Pro Tip: Make a real single player Marathon Triology and make a couple $Billion, no big deal.

Not only that but buying a studio like this and allowing it to stay multiplatform + it literally having only 1 valuable IP that's on the decline.
it seems Bungie's management is at fault. Sony must be pissed, especially when there are people telling this for years. Sony's way is to get rid of people at the top when this shit happens, probably they are protected by the contract

it seems Bungie's management is at fault. Sony must be pissed, especially when there are people telling this for years. Sony's way is to get rid of people at the top when this shit happens, probably they are protected by the contract

Eh, it's just the nature of product lifecycles, being honest.

I think it's hard to keep a game fresh like this for years. it's amazing they did it for over a decade.

If Sony wanted Bungie, they knew they had to play the long game because GaaS is a fickle beast.

Ceo leaving. No leadership with strengths to take his place. Stupid gaas strategy when u are the best to create sp games and that's what made u leader worldwide on console business.

PS with only 16 studios mosy really small. Now trying to pivot strategy. 1 aaa game released this year. Poor comunication with consumers. No roadmap of future launches. Besides wolwerine there is no clue of internal fp games. Nothing for 2024 until now.

I thinking they are flerting hard for a ps3 disaster again next gen.
They have plenty of exclusive games for next year, Even if those are not first party, some of them are second party too. So quit smoking because next year is also going to be amazing for Playstation, and their first party studios Will correct their way.

They need to salvage Bungie somehow. What a terrible purchase by Sony.
Bungie needs to save itself. The amount of ego this studio has is ridiculous. (they are overrated).

listening to a couple of videos on the matter. It seems these layoffs hit differently. The next year is going to be hell for them. Fans have not been happy, Destiny is on the decline and now have Sony and their studios looking at them like...."Are these 🤡🤡 the so called Live Games experts"?. The moral has to be in the gutter.

Nikodemos

GaaS have the same fundamental issue as streaming services. People only have so much time and money to spend. So the natural endpoint is a couple of big names taking most of the market, plus a couple more second-tier getting some of the leftovers. And all the rest end up on the wrong side of the door.

Having a single company (Sony) put out 5+ GaaS is madness. Sure, "throw shit at the wall until something sticks", but what about all that wasted money and engineer-hours (for the ones that don't)? What if nothing sticks?

Last edited:
Eh, it's just the nature of product lifecycles, being honest.
Some individuals within Bungie (ex-bungie?) have suggested that this could have been avoided.

the game getting old is natural of course. but no the way it has been handled.

I think it's hard to keep a game fresh like this for years. it's amazing they did it for over a decade.
i just watched a video of the decline of the total war franchise/creative assembly issues....that is scary shit. It feels like video games making (in the context of being a business) is like a house of cards.

reminded me of the story of Destiny 2 and that they were building a new engine and they failed at it and hat to return to old one (or something like that).

Of course is amazing...but not in a good way.

If Sony wanted Bungie, they knew they had to play the long game because GaaS is a fickle beast.
i have my interpretation of things. But this acquisition always felt iffy. Like sony didn't tell the whole story of why they decided to buy Bungie.

hlm666

I've never liked a single Bungie game and I've been giving them chances here and there since 2001.
Myth 1 and 2 were my fave games from them. Be interesting to see what they would do with a myth 3, but this day and age it would be ruined by all the gaas shit so i'm happy to just keep the memories.

skit_data

Hasn't Destiny 2 always had this on/off relationship with players? People dropping off only to be reeled in when Bungie realize they need to shape up for a while. Are there any numbers on how many players dropped off/came back for the previous expansions?

Hasn't Destiny 2 always had this on/off relationship with players? People dropping off only to be reeled in when Bungie realize they need to shape up for a while. Are there any numbers on how many players dropped off/came back for the previous expansions?
Yes, it might be the most up and down game I've ever played. It's kind of like alternating Windows releases for many years where they flipped between utter trash and somehow very stable and pleasant to use.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The problem with Destiny is that it's too similar to a single player game. You run through the content in a few weeks and you instantly want them to lay down more track. Incredibly expensive from a design point of view.

It doesn't have the replayability of the leaders in the field.

An issue that will likely be corrected with Marathon.

Caffeine

Destiny 2 at its best was still average compared to destiny 1. Anyway i was done with the mmo lite formula during the 3rd expansion

Last edited:

GHound

GaaS is today and the future. Fate Go probably makes more money for Sony than everything in PlayStation combined
With it only just hitting $7bn global lifetime revenue in (I believe it was) August I'm afraid that isn't in the cards.
As a Type-Moon fan I would definitely get at minimum a chuckle out of seeing what the end result is of a reality where TM properties are generating enough revenue/profit yearly to outclass SIE in any significant way.

Killjoy-NL

Such a stupid acquisition.
Bungie is a solid acquisition. You can say what you want about Destiny, but the gunplay is top-notch.

Bungie's problem was with their management and business decisions, as well as absolutely retarded handling of the production of both Destiny 1 and 2.

They clearly need to be managed properly and restructure their company and my guess would be that they are doing so right now.
With Sony overseeing their game production, they should do a lot better than when they were independent.

Because let's be real, Bungie managed to reboot both Destiny 1 and 2 a year before release. What incompetent morons would do such a thing, especially twice in a row?

These layoffs and drop in sales are symptoms of their issues from before the Sony acquisition.

Last edited:
The writing has been on the wall for Bungie for a while. Its been blatantly obviously suffering from shitty management for years now. I mean seriously, how the fuck can a studio of a thousand people struggle so badly with very standard content drops.

One crucible map in three years. One.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I feel a lot of people trued to get into gaas due to covid and its now bit them in the ass.

You can't blame Sony. No one can predict market trends and there will be suit's pressuring Jim to get behind it.....then as soon as it shows cracks and starts to fail its his head on the chopping block.

Cruel shit.

Hudo

Bungie need to return to the style of Halo ie campaign with fleshed out multiplayer all there on day one. Then spend the next few years making a sequel.
Imagine if their upcoming Marathon game had a proper singleplayer campaign (they can still have their shitty extraction multiplayer as a separate component).

Chechack

Sony could have invested/buy any Japanese studio and make gacha waifu game like Genshin etc which cost lesser and can print money easily but nopeeee they choose to invest in this shoot bang calladoody type of company game.

Wasted.

unlurkified

I’m sorry, but Bungie’s response should be nothing but surprised Pikachu faces all around. How do you expect anyone to keep playing a nine-year-old phoned in half-assed gaas game in a year full of bangers? Of course people are playing other stuff. People quickly jumped off D4 too once people realized the devs didn’t bring their A-game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom