• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] PS5 M.2 storage support coming in 'summer' with fan curve update

vpance

Worst case scenario if it becomes loud you can always move the game you’re playing on the internal SSD and keep the expansion as storage.

Woody337

Worst case scenario if it becomes loud you can always move the game you’re playing on the internal SSD and keep the expansion as storage.
I would bet money on the ps5 seeing both drives as one to limit confusion with an external drive being attached also. I could be wrong

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So the ms solution was a better option??....zero issues with the Seagate slot in stick despite the stupid price
I don't want my ps5 sounding like a hair dryer so I would pay extra for a custom solution that does not make it louder
Not really better, just different. Like everything about the consoles.

Sony's way I can hopefully have a choice of off the shelf drives. I do wish the PS5 had a plug n play way like the Series consoles tho. I got an NVMe drive with an enclosure, and I cant really use it because of external drive issues.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
So many people buying $400-500 gaming consoles can't afford a $100-200 window A/C unit? I do find some of the leaps in logic to be amusing. It's essentially saying that people would suffer discomfort so that they can play games. Also, this would be no different than European gamers with gaming PCs and laptops. Since it's the SSD itself that needs to be cooled, the issue is the same regardless of device. Unless SSDs are simply useless in Europe, then I think this is a lot of hot air (pun intended).
Many places can't fit a window A/C unit for various reasons. I know I can't due to the facade of the building being protected so it can't be changed (100 years old building).

MastaKiiLA

I got some news for you: There are millions of people on earth wothout an ac. I got a 200m² house and could afford it, but windows acs look like shit and they are loud. I can stand 2-3 hot weeks a year. And it's not every year that hot here. I get it if you live in Texas or something like that.
I lived throughout the state of NY for a few years, and had a/c all the time. And I was born and raised in the tropics. I grew up with just fans, but once you get to the point where you can buy $500 electronic devices, you can afford higher levels of comfort. A window a/c unit might only get used for a month or 2 each year, but it's a godsend during a heat wave. I know most of the world doesn't have a/c, but most of the world also can't afford a Playstation. A PS5 owner complaining that their room will get too hot would be like a computer cafe that has only overhead fans. Even in poor countries, computer/internet cafes still have aircon. Why? They have devices that can't tolerate excessive heat. If you have a PC in your house now, your PS5 will be fine. The PS5 isn't going to need any special climate control that a standard laptop or PC would need. I don't think it's much of a concern.
So basically we can't swap the original but we can have two internals? Or am I misunderstanding something? If so, thats good. Im not a fan of external drives.
I don't think you'll have an external drive that can support PS5 drive speeds. Not before the generation is over. I feel like just going through a USB controller alone makes that idea unrealistic. So you're dealing with 2 internal drives. You have the hardwired 800GB drive that comes with the PS5, and then you have a drive bay that accepts 1 NVME SSD in the M2 form factor. These range in length, but all current lengths are supported by the drive by in the PS5. Heatsink size would be the bigger question, but I think if you get a drive built for laptops, that you shouldn't have an issue. They're made to run without heatsinks, so they'll definitely fit.

skit_data

That would still be a complete failure imo. I think the difference in fan speed and noise will be quite minimal in the end. I think the main reason for this whole delay is due to the fact that there are not that many drives to actually test yet. Sony probably want to provide a decent list of compatible drives instead of having people run and buy ones only to realize they bought the wrong ones. Easier to just lock them all out atm and when time comes provide a longer list.

ZywyPL

Banned
I think its situated at a pretty good place, the blades of the fan are pretty wide and acts by shoveling/pushing air down and into the system. There is an opening at the ”top” and ”bottom” of the slot so when the fan shovels air into the system, some air will travel through it and escape at the bottom and from there travel along with the rest of the air to the exhaust.
npxmipj.jpg

4fMKbyf.jpg

I guess it will all depend on the SSDs people will install, if it will be something flat like Samsung 980 Pro, which can be covered by the bay cover, I don't think the inhaled air's temperature will go up by more than literally just a few degrees, but when someone will decide to mount an SSD with one of those huge-ass heatsinks that will make impossible to isolate the drive in the bay, most of that hot air will be sucked in by the fan. We will see how it plays out, I'm sure there will be ton's of tests and reviews on the internet once the said update drops.

vpance

I would bet money on the ps5 seeing both drives as one to limit confusion with an external drive being attached also. I could be wrong

It’s certainly possible but I think it’s an option they’d probably want to include at some point for QoL if you ever need to swap the SSD for whatever reason. Otherwise there would be no way to copy around game installs between drives.

turtlepowa

Banned
I lived throughout the state of NY for a few years, and had a/c all the time. And I was born and raised in the tropics. I grew up with just fans, but once you get to the point where you can buy $500 electronic devices, you can afford higher levels of comfort. A window a/c unit might only get used for a month or 2 each year, but it's a godsend during a heat wave. I know most of the world doesn't have a/c, but most of the world also can't afford a Playstation. A PS5 owner complaining that their room will get too hot would be like a computer cafe that has only overhead fans. Even in poor countries, computer/internet cafes still have aircon. Why? They have devices that can't tolerate excessive heat. If you have a PC in your house now, your PS5 will be fine. The PS5 isn't going to need any special climate control that a standard laptop or PC would need. I don't think it's much of a concern.
I was never talking about getting problems or having concerns about dying PS5s, just about it getting louder because of the fan curves.

Woody337

It’s certainly possible but I think it’s an option they’d probably want to include at some point for QoL if you ever need to swap the SSD for whatever reason. Otherwise there would be no way to copy around game installs between drives.
Thats true

Andodalf

Banned
That would be bad to the point of unworkable. What happens if I remove the expansion SSD? I loose random games and saves?

skit_data

This sounds like the dumbest execution of expandable storage ever. Doesn't exist for year after launch, and makes the machine louder. Well done sony. Guess those who were complaining about xsx/xsd are eating a big crow sandwhich at this point.
We dont know if it will even effect the noise level to a noticeable degree. I will eat my crow 3 years into the cycle if the price of storage wont be at least 2/3 of the price of the Xbox proprietary solution.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think its situated at a pretty good place, the blades of the fan are pretty wide and acts by shoveling/pushing air down and into the system. There is an opening at the ”top” and ”bottom” of the slot so when the fan shovels air into the system, some air will travel through it and escape at the bottom and from there travel along with the rest of the air to the exhaust.
npxmipj.jpg

4fMKbyf.jpg
Yup, the official tear down went over this too. IIRC there was an interview with the guy a few weeks after the teardown. Also, look how big the opening is, large heat sinks on the drive itself might fit. Thats a plus for off the shelf vs proprietary.

Andodalf

Banned
We dont know if it will even effect the noise level to a noticeable degree. I will eat my crow 3 years into the cycle if the price of storage wont be at least 2/3 of the price of the Xbox proprietary solution.

NVME gets very hot, and with the speeds they need typically require active cooling. It's going to be tangible.

Xbox is going to be getting new expansion options from different manufacturers driving the price down. Plus we're going to see console revisions by that time anyway

phil_t98

#SonyToo

you dont think Microsoft storage will also get cheaper or that there will be third part storage cheaper as well?

skit_data

NVME gets very hot, and with the speeds they need typically require active cooling. It's going to be tangible.

Xbox is going to be getting new expansion options from different manufacturers driving the price down. Plus we're going to see console revisions by that time anyway
Do you know what exact capacity of cooling the air that travels through the slot provides?

That is possible, but will it have enough options to drive the price down enough to compete with the whole market?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I really hope it has the space to support M.2 with heatsinks, some of those can make a dramatic difference due to the increased surface area.

Actually right now you can have m.2 with aftermarket tiny fans+heatsink but keep it exposed without the m.2 metal cover. To me, I think I will not need to expand as I have a good fiber connection and can redownload the games again in 10-30min.

vlcsnap-2020-10-07-16h47m35s258.png

Traxtech

It's a big difference when it's in its own chamber instead of surrounded by a hot GPU and motherboard due to heat soak. Between that and how the air pressure seems to work in the ps5 it should be more than fine.

In saying that, they could boost the fan rpm and you probably wouldn't even notice it due to the nature of those kind of fans.

They need to shut the disc drive up though that's for sure.

Last edited:

Elios83

Lol the usual drama and concern over nothing to try to get hits.
They already stated that the fan is programmable and they're looking at usage profiles to better optimize it in the future with firmware updates.
With an extra component generating heat inside the console it's clear they need to be careful about what's going inside it and they need to handle all the cases.
That's normal when you go with an open standard. The other option was to go proprietary and pay much more for the same space.

I'm really looking forward to see which models will be approved and which ones will fit with a heatsink on it. Can't wait to upgrade the SSD size which unfortunately is too small.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Games today account for a lot of gigabytes thankfully for the progress of bigger open world game and it's good to know upgrading hard and soft drives are possible on the PS5.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I forget. If someone adds a PC SSD, that adds to the 825gb right? If so, it makes sense it would need fan adjustments/cooling as it's another part running inside the console.

I gotta be honest, I think it is gonna be fine.

Not every NVMe heatsink is a huge clonker you see when you google them. Yeah, some of them come with huge heatsinks but they also sell some with very modest ones that would fit in the expansion bay fine.

My motherboard has a built-in gel-like thing that attached the NVMe drive to the mobo's thin heatsink. There are multiple styles/ways of cooling these drives. I could see PS5 compatible drives just needing a little heatsink and not one of those huge monolithic ones.

I don't think installing an expansion drive is going to make the PS5 "go jet engine." Mine is super silent even after being on all day. I don't see that drastically changing.

What bugs me is that we will be waiting so long to be be able to add more ultra fast storage. The 650 gigs (or whatever it is exactly) available free space is gonna fill up long before the summer for me.

wOs

ACs are not that common in europe i guess. I don't have one and i don't know any person that does. You can bet that many people have very hot rooms in summer.

I live in Florida and it's so hot and humid outside in the summer that you feel like taking another shower as soon as you step out. I couldn't imagine though I would sooner or later get used to it, feeling that way inside my house.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Series X's storage solution is far more convenient and actually works right now. You can't even upgrade or do shit with PS5's storage yet and when you can it sounds like it will actually change how the system acts. That is fucking horrible design.
This "right now" argument doesn't work because it cannot be used later since it will be compatible soon. You're limited to one type of standard SSD on the XsX while you have way more options on the PS5.

This "right now" argument doesn't work because it cannot be used later since it will be compatible soon. You're limited to one type of standard SSD on the XsX while you have way more options on the PS5.

Pretty much every 7gb/s SSD costs the same though (230 bucks for 1TB. 420ish for 2TB). Those are non-heatsink versions of the drives I checked. Yeah, those prices will drop over time, and yes the XsX expansion drive is a little overpriced (probably should be 150-170 buck range), but I still am not sold that Sony's approach was better, at this point.

I think it is fair to say there are merits to both MS' and Sony's approach here.

Regardless, as long as the expansion bay works and I can run everything just as fast off the extra drive as I can from the main drive, I will be happy. The wait is killing me though.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
This gonna be PS5's achilles heel.

People will want extra storage but not potential of extra fan noise.

White-fire

This gonna be PS5's achilles heel.

People will want extra storage but not potential of extra fan noise.

It probably won’t be as loud as you’re thinking. And definitely not like the PS4. So no, I don’t think people will choose to have less games on their console because of a possibly marginal fan increase.

clintar

there's some cerny magic in this design . /s Honestly how is it possible that they didn't realize the heat increase they would need to change the fan speed (probably in addition to generating more noise will it take more watts?)
I don't like the sound of all of this at all..
maybe they were testing it with newer SSDs and now they know?

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don’t have any skin in the game with PS5, but I am curious how their aftermarket m.2 support is. From looking at the port it would seem there’s virtually no airflow to the drive, combined with the shallow space so a heat-sinked drive will not fit and that seems a recipe for disaster.

Entroyp

I don’t have any skin in the game with PS5, but I am curious how their aftermarket m.2 support is. From looking at the port it would seem there’s virtually no airflow to the drive, combined with the shallow space so a heat-sinked drive will not fit and that seems a recipe for disaster.

This concern was address in the teardown video. Don’t worry.

skit_data

I think it is fair to say there are merits to both MS' and Sony's approach
I was just thinking the same thing, they both have up- and downsides to their respective approach. Im pretty sure Sonys solution will be less expensive in general in a couple of years but the convenience of having compatible drives from the start is a big plus to the Xbox approach.

Another thing in favor of Xbox approach will probably be a more consistent quality of the drives. Having a more open solution might come at the risk of having data corrupted due to shitty build quality on cheaper drives, for example.

Top Bottom