• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloomberg] PS5 M.2 storage support coming in 'summer' with fan curve update

ILHASS

This is 980 Pro temp test in the PC case.I have a bad feeling about this..
samsung-ssd-980-pro-temperatures.jpg

futurama78

Banned
My m.2 in my old notebook didn’t have a heatsink or a fan. So it’s fine I guess. It’s away from the gpu and cpu. Maybe a 1 or 2 degree ambient rise if anything. My 360 had screen tearing and my friends didn’t. Wonder if it’ll happen.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I’m waiting for the “we can’t come to agreements on ssd speed so this feature will never work” as an excuse to NEVER enable this.
They have to as the next call of duty won't fit on the ps5s ssd.

Besides they aren't going to miss the chance to make bank selling you $250 ssds.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is the same insider who had stated SCIE Team Japan will be killed by Sony that turned out to be true.

Another exaggeration. Seems to me what's actually happening is they are consolidating internal dev around Team Asobi and their leadership, hence the former heads of the other team are either leaving or being merged in.

Its actually quite a natural progression given how Sony no longer develop their own handheld titles.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
if remember right some of the teardown's did express concern about the expansion SSD running hot, I think it was digital foundry where I first seen it but a couple of others pointed it out

cormack12

Gold Member
Thing is, this was always going to be the case. They test the M2, get the telemetry data, update the fan profiles then update them via firmware.

The PS5 acoustics have been measured against power draw not fan speed. The box (including M2) can't pull any more power than is allowed, the real question is around the part of the talk that says the engineers have to 'estimate' what is a bearable audio level in dB. Cerny admitted they didn't do a great job with this previously so we're probably not going to actually know until another two years when games are really stressing the hardware.

Also, if these drives are lining up to be the same price as the Seagate one from MS, then 🖕

ManaByte

Gold Member
if remember right some of the teardown's did express concern about the expansion SSD running hot, I think it was digital foundry where I first seen it but a couple of others pointed it out

It's an enclosed slot that is then again covered by the white back plate. Anyone familiar with M.2 SSDs knows just by looking at it that it's not a good idea to put a hot SSD in that little compartment.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also, if these drives are lining up to be the same price as the Seagate one from MS, then 🖕

That's the price you pay for NMVe speed at 7gb/sec.

You're looking at around $230 for 1TB and $430 for 2TB. It's not a "MS thing" like some try to make it out to be. The technology is still expensive.

cormack12

Gold Member

You're looking at around $230 for 1TB and $430 for 2TB. It's not a "MS thing" like some try to make it out to be. The technology is still expensive.

To be honest, it's more the fact there is only a 1TB model. A 500GB @ £120 is much more palatable. I'm guessing if Sony use off the shelf then there will be more choice, but at the cost of the priority lanes (from memory?)

reksveks

I keep repeating the same question but just interested in knowing how the system interacts with a non-valid m2 ssd.

ManaByte

Gold Member
To be honest, it's more the fact there is only a 1TB model. A 500GB @ £120 is much more palatable. I'm guessing if Sony use off the shelf then there will be more choice, but at the cost of the priority lanes (from memory?)

You really don't have more options. There are just two right now, Samsung and WD and both are about the same price.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It has been asked many times now, why do you assume 7 GB/s is the minimum speed needed?

Regardless of what may be announced later on in the year, there is nothing in the Road to PS5 segment that states it. The only mention around required speed is “a bit above” the internal SSD 5.5 GB/s ratings (as the custom SSD controller needs to manage the 6 priority levels the PS5 expects with off the shelves SSD NVMe drives that offer 2). 7 GB/s was quoted as speed drives would hit in 2020 to reduce fears 5.5 GB/s or more would be impossible to match for SSD’s you are able to purchase yourself.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Yep. I will be shocked if they add this feature. We got screwed.

The SSD bay should've been located more at the fan's exhaust rather than the intake, that would solve all the potential APU heat issues. Still, we don't know how much headroom is left, and how much they're going to bump up the fan speed, so who knows, maybe it'll still remain whisper quiet after all, or be barely audible at worst. I personally don't think we will ever experience Pro's jet engine ever again, nowhere near it.

reksveks

It won't even boot to the menu. Tells you to take out the SSD and then restart the system.

Wonder if that continues to be the case, bit shit if so. I can see some people wanting to use that slow as a cold storage device for ps4 game.

But least I have a good understanding of the current status

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wonder if that continues to be the case, bit shit if so. I can see some people wanting to use that slow as a cold storage device for ps4 game.

The problem with even PS4 cold storage is it takes FOREVER to copy a PS4 game from the SSD to the external. I accidentally installed a PS4 game on the SSD (from disc, never happened digitally) and then wanted to copy it to my external because I didn't want it clogging the SSD. It took almost an HOUR to copy.

On the Series X copying back and forth from the externals/internal is pretty fast.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Makes me think if Sony implemented some S.M.A.R.T. function that they are going to monitor the temp of the drive? 🤔

nosseman

My m.2 in my old notebook didn’t have a heatsink or a fan. So it’s fine I guess. It’s away from the gpu and cpu. Maybe a 1 or 2 degree ambient rise if anything. My 360 had screen tearing and my friends didn’t. Wonder if it’ll happen.

There is a big difference between OEM slowpoke cheap m2-drives you find in laptop compared to fast NVME drives.

gundalf

I call BS regarding increased fan speed:
  • The M2 Slot already comes with a heatsink
  • The M2 Slot is isolated from the fans airflow
  • The M2 Slot placement is far away from the SoC, so heat from it is irrelevant
  • M2 SSDs only need passiv cooling with a small heatsink
If anything the reporter mixed things up and there will be simply a big PS5 OS update this summer from which internal SSD support AND a higher performance profile will be included features.

Interfectum

This feature will be coming nearly three quarters of a year late (perhaps a full year considering they haven't given us a solid date)... that is a surefire sign there is a pretty big issue they are doing R&D for.

Last edited:

wOs

Perhaps now (for most consoles), but the summer with 30+ degree room temperature + the SSD could be interesting.
Wait what? I get this argument if you play your ps5 in a hut, but the temperature at my house is what it is. we keep it on 75 degrees . Only in the winter when it is off does it get colder.

meditation: maybe I'm pampered by always having air conditioning. /sometimes ignorant.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

So the ms solution was a better option??....zero issues with the Seagate slot in stick despite the stupid price
I don't want my ps5 sounding like a hair dryer so I would pay extra for a custom solution that does not make it louder
Embracing the FUD early, I see. You do realize they make SSDs for laptops, right? I have 2 in my laptop right now. Heat is relative when discussing electronics, and both my laptop and the PS5 already have fairly hot components in them. The fan speed will increase because of the SSD bay, but I doubt it's going to be a massive increase in speed, unless they simply designed the SSD bay cooling poorly. Given the size of the vents going into it, I assume that they didn't expect it to generate a massive amount of heat, so I wouldn't expect the fan speed to increase significantly.

Also, you can also just not get extra drive. Given that costs scale much better on PC components than proprietary parts, the Sony solution should prove to be the best bang for buck long-term. PS5 owners will have the advantage of buying units that sell to PS5 owners and PC owners combined, while the XSX solution will depend largely on the Xbox ecosystem to scale production costs.

Last edited:

Interfectum

You don't have smart shift without forward thinking. High clocks were by designed and it wasn't some last minute decision. The flaw with expandable storage similar to XsX is that you have to buy storage device MS gives you. PS5 allows you to choose your own that's compatible.
Series X's storage solution is far more convenient and actually works right now. You can't even upgrade or do shit with PS5's storage yet and when you can it sounds like it will actually change how the system acts. That is fucking horrible design.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Makes me think if Sony implemented some S.M.A.R.T. function that they are going to monitor the temp of the drive? 🤔
That's fairly standard. My laptop fan spins up based on the temp of the SSD(s). I can see this with the temps showing in the Samsung Magician app.

turtlepowa

Banned
Wait what? I get this argument if you play your ps5 in a hut, but the temperature at my house is what it is. we keep it on 75 degrees . Only in the winter when it is off does it get colder.

meditation: maybe I'm pampered by always having air conditioning. /sometimes ignorant.
ACs are not that common in europe i guess. I don't have one and i don't know any person that does. You can bet that many people have very hot rooms in summer.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That's fairly standard. My laptop fan spins up based on the temp of the SSD(s). I can see this with the temps showing in the Samsung Magician app.
It is standard on PC for sure, however it was just a question out of curiosity, hell I had PC 15 years ago with S.M.A.R.T. it was first used just for the error detection. It's probably going to be there.

Concern

I really don't get how something like this wasn't supported day one. Why not leave it as simple as it was on the Ps4? Just let us swap in whatever storage we want, as long as its at minimum the same speed as the one already in.

MastaKiiLA

ACs are not that common in europe i guess. I don't have one and i don't know any person that does. You can bet that many people have very hot rooms in summer.
So many people buying $400-500 gaming consoles can't afford a $100-200 window A/C unit? I do find some of the leaps in logic to be amusing. It's essentially saying that people would suffer discomfort so that they can play games. Also, this would be no different than European gamers with gaming PCs and laptops. Since it's the SSD itself that needs to be cooled, the issue is the same regardless of device. Unless SSDs are simply useless in Europe, then I think this is a lot of hot air (pun intended).

longdi

Banned
So the ms solution was a better option??....zero issues with the Seagate slot in stick despite the stupid price
I don't want my ps5 sounding like a hair dryer so I would pay extra for a custom solution that does not make it louder

i said this long ago. pretty no brainer if one puts aside the fan boy calling outs.

sony choice may offer better flexibility in 2-3 years later, once hispeed pcie4 class ssd are cheaper and cooler. but that's a long time to wait...

MastaKiiLA

I really don't get how something like this wasn't supported day one. Why not leave it as simple as it was on the Ps4? Just let us swap in whatever storage we want, as long as its at minimum the same speed as the one already in.
That's exactly what they've done. SATA doesn't support the minimum drive speed of the PS5 SSD. Only NVME does. So they put in an NVME slot in a bay that supports literally all current M2 card sizes. I think they will have to provide guidance in the form of certification or an approved devices list, because the PS5 SSD speed is faster than the vast majority of SSD drives on the market right now. It's assumed that the Samsung 980 and WD Black drives are fast enough, based on spec, but we can't even be sure that those meet the tolerances required. So you'll be able to use whatever meets the speed requirements, but we don't yet know for certain which drives those are. Sony has yet to provide a list of supported drives. That's why there was no point in making this available on day 1. You'd be surprised how incredibly stupid and unsavvy most people are. Letting people connect 970 or slower drives to a launch PS5 would just result in tears and bad PR.

skit_data

The SSD bay should've been located more at the fan's exhaust rather than the intake, that would solve all the potential APU heat issues. Still, we don't know how much headroom is left, and how much they're going to bump up the fan speed, so who knows, maybe it'll still remain whisper quiet after all, or be barely audible at worst. I personally don't think we will ever experience Pro's jet engine ever again, nowhere near it.
I think its situated at a pretty good place, the blades of the fan are pretty wide and acts by shoveling/pushing air down and into the system. There is an opening at the ”top” and ”bottom” of the slot so when the fan shovels air into the system, some air will travel through it and escape at the bottom and from there travel along with the rest of the air to the exhaust.
npxmipj.jpg

4fMKbyf.jpg

turtlepowa

Banned
So many people buying $400-500 gaming consoles can't afford a $100-200 window A/C unit? I do find some of the leaps in logic to be amusing. It's essentially saying that people would suffer discomfort so that they can play games. Also, this would be no different than European gamers with gaming PCs and laptops. Since it's the SSD itself that needs to be cooled, the issue is the same regardless of device. Unless SSDs are simply useless in Europe, then I think this is a lot of hot air (pun intended).
I got some news for you: There are millions of people on earth wothout an ac. I got a 200m² house and could afford it, but windows acs look like shit and they are loud. I can stand 2-3 hot weeks a year. And it's not every year that hot here. I get it if you live in Texas or something like that.

Concern

That's exactly what they've done. SATA doesn't support the minimum drive speed of the PS5 SSD. Only NVME does. So they put in an NVME slot in a bay that supports literally all current M2 card sizes. I think they will have to provide guidance in the form of certification or an approved devices list, because the PS5 SSD speed is faster than the vast majority of SSD drives on the market right now. It's assumed that the Samsung 980 and WD Black drives are fast enough, based on spec, but we can't even be sure that those meet the tolerances required. So you'll be able to use whatever meets the speed requirements, but we don't yet know for certain which drives those are. Sony has yet to provide a list of supported drives. That's why there was no point in making this available on day 1. You'd be surprised how incredibly stupid and unsavvy most people are. Letting people connect 970 or slower drives to a launch PS5 would just result in tears and bad PR.

So basically we can't swap the original but we can have two internals? Or am I misunderstanding something? If so, thats good. Im not a fan of external drives.

Top Bottom