• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night |OT| What is a Kickstarter?!?! A Miserable Pile of Delays!

On PC, what's the 'cinematic' option in some graphics settings?
I had to Google this myself.

Apparently Epic restricts the framerate of certain effects, Cinematic lifts that cap. Not super important unless you are playing at 120+ hz apparently. However because Cinematic does allow effects to sync to your framerate, whatever it may be, it will generally look better than Epic even if you are locked to 60 hz. So just leave it on.

I had to Google this myself.

Apparently Epic restricts the framerate of certain effects, Cinematic lifts that cap. Not super important unless you are playing at 120+ hz apparently. However because Cinematic does allow effects to sync to your framerate, whatever it may be, it will generally look better than Epic even if you are locked to 60 hz. So just leave it on.

Interesting. Don't think I've heard of something like that before. I guess it's good to have options? Lol

Zangiefy360

Banned
Just started playing on my PS4 Pro. I'm having elements of the UI off the screen, for example the notification of the item I pick up that's on the very bottom left.

Is anyone else having this issue? My screen is 1080p and I verified the settings are correct and I tried shinking the screen size down in the system settings but no luck.

Shouta

Just started playing on my PS4 Pro. I'm having elements of the UI off the screen, for example the notification of the item I pick up that's on the very bottom left.

Is anyone else having this issue? My screen is 1080p and I verified the settings are correct and I tried shinking the screen size down in the system settings but no luck.

Maybe there's overscan on your TV?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
wow the clocktower level is really cool. it looks amazing and it's this neat weird vertical spiral w all these branching paths and steampunk gears. there have been many clocktower levels but this is one of the best.

Dontero

Banned
There is more SOTN references, but I would compare the game itself more to the Sorrows than SOTN. Most the stuff from Dawn of Sorrow return with some missing SOTN stuff and a little OOE thrown in.

ARIA and DAWN were better mechanics wise than SOTN while SOTN was better castle design wise. So imho he is right. Bloodstained castle is way better than ARIA/SORROW while it shares interesting kind of design from SOTN.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Another evening taken by this game, lol.

After getting invert I couldn't really figure what to do next. I don't know what I was supposed to do to get into the oriental sorcery lab but I definitely just brute forced it with potions and food and high defense. I have a carpenter's key and can't figure where it goes. Farmed a bunch of bovine plume and now I'm quite mobile!

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Well you guys weren't kidding. It's a really smooth start and gradual ramp up. Then I looked up at the clock and realized I hadn't even stopped to use the bathroom in 5 hours. Holy hell this game is addicting. I think I'll have to double dip on Switch eventually after a sale because I just want to keep playing, and being able to dock it and take the game to other rooms sounds appealing.

Last edited:
Despite getting to the final boss around 10 hours in, I ended up spending hours on a grind quest to get everything I wanted to buff Miriam, and craft the best stuff for my build.
tBOPaql.png

That final .30% is haunting me, I assume it's only 3 secret rooms! At least I got the bestiary completed and all bosses down.

Also if anyone is wondering about enemy no. 44 it's in the train, go to the only seat you can sit in and look out the window, he'll eventually appear on the lake and just keep watching him.

Also the secret boss was dope!

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Dice Dice That's the main progression hangup I had. Once you get that ability, go to the twin dragon tower room and invert to the top for a chest that negates spike damage.

Yeah that stuff is fucking bad design. Twin towers are effectively double map size since they rotate and stuff you need invert into is completely arbitrary.

Imho better way would be for devs to put that chest somewhere player can see but can't access but nope, that chest is completely hidden and you don't know about it unless you literally hug every ceiling you can find in whole castle.

-MD-

So say I've never played Castlevania before, should I just go emulate one of those or start here?

Dontero

Banned
So say I've never played Castlevania before, should I just go emulate one of those or start here?

Start here. Each Igavania is self contained. Dawn of Sorrow is sequel to Aria but you don't need to play Aria to get Dawn.
Either way all of them are mostly gameplay as there are very few cutscenes and dialogs.

Have I skipped 2 bosses?

At the Blood Maiden Boss Fight but it says I need to face two offer bosses first according to the Trophy Guide???

Am I on the right track? I now have The Ray of Light Travel thing

ARIA and DAWN were better mechanics wise than SOTN while SOTN was better castle design wise. So imho he is right. Bloodstained castle is way better than ARIA/SORROW while it shares interesting kind of design from SOTN.

Aria and Dawn didn't have the annoying cruft or lack of warp rooms of SotN.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

wow it seems that the switch version looks just fine.
and the 30 fps 720p limit seems ok?

fuck i might double dip

don't mind the stupid echo in the video just mute sound for now

Last edited:

Daymos

I'm going to use this game for a scientific analysis of my brain and how the internet influences it!

I preordered this for Switch, and just for the fun of it I'm going to attempt to play through the whole game without reading any reviews or complaints about it (it will be difficult). Then when I'm done I'll read the stuff and see whether or not I actually noticed all the problems.

The game isn't that long or expensive and I've played through aria of sorrow, dawn of sorrow, and symphony of the night so it should be enjoyable enough for me.

Last edited:

Spukc

I'm going to use this game for a scientific analysis of my brain and how the internet influences it!

I preordered this for Switch, and just for the fun of it I'm going to attempt to play through the whole game without reading any reviews or complaints about it (it will be difficult). Then when I'm done I'll read the stuff and see whether or not I actually noticed all the problems.

The game isn't that long or expensive and I've played through aria of sorrow, dawn of sorrow, and symphony of the night so it should be enjoyable enough for me.
well 20 hours in 79% map completion

Almost done with my first run, it'll probably clock in around 20 hours or so. I feel like this is definitely Iga's best iteration on his formula, I'm still pretty blown away at how good it is. Kickstarters have churned out some real gems among the sea of duds.

Bloodstained is already a critical success, I hope it sells through the roof too. I wonder if there are suits at Konami kicking themselves in the ass for letting Iga go.

Darak

This game does some pretty strange things to the usual Metroidvania conventions. I mean, the stuff you need to progress is not always clear. Sometimes the new traversal power is a big pop-up you get after beating a boss, but in some occasions the thing you need to progress is just a normal shard you get from a mob. The way you unlock your way forward can also be somewhat obscure.

Everything makes sense in hindsight, but you really need to pay attention to those shop lady hints.

Dontero

Banned
Any idea where to go after The twin dragons boss fight ?

Another type of poorly handled progression. You get item from those dragons which you pick up and sometimes you don't even know you picket this stuff up since stuff is still happening on screen and item itself looks like some crafting material.

Go talk with shopkeeper for photograph (at the end of the room) and then OD.

Last edited:

xviper

Another type of poorly handled progression. You get item from those dragons which you pick up and sometimes you don't even know you picket this stuff up since stuff is still happening on screen and item itself looks like some crafting material.

Go talk with shopkeeper for photograph (at the end of the room) and then OD.
Thanks a lot man, i've been lost for over an hour.

Vitacat

If you can afford the purchase, start with Bloodstained. It's new, it's excellent, and it's one of the best examples of the genre. Plus, you'll be helping this genre to stay relevant and rewarding good work.

Having said that, if you enjoy Bloodstained, definitely check out the Castlevanias as well. Lots of fun to be had. One nice aspect of the Castlevania series is how it evolved over time. If you want something straight-forward and simple, the earlier games are perfect for an action fix. Then, starting with SOTN, if you want something a bit deeper, you have the Igavanias offering new gameplay mechanics and decreased linearity (though always with the core action gameplay that makes these games viscerally fun).

Last edited:

dalekjay

4h in, the game is there, is good, it’s glitchy, save games could be the one thing not copied from SOTN. I may had killed almost all bosses twice because of the save system hahah.
But is super competent if you count as a small team game.

The only true downside is the bosses, they are lacking in style and charm, very generic, and every boss up to now (I already defeated the guy that should defeat right away) you can just tank the damage and go berserk with the book as a shield shard.

I really hope it gets a continuation and be a perpetual franchise, I will buy bloodstained 2 day 1

Last edited:
Damn, I hit 99.3 I think. Level 47, right at 25 hours. Probably around 5 of those hours were idle time though. It was awesome, will play again for sure.
Now on to The Sinking City!

KiteGr

I've just received today the post office notification of my copy arriving.
The problem is, i can only get my package the day after the note... And they are closed on on weekends...

Haha...I just ran into Gebel without realizing it, beat him and got what was obviously the bad ending. I was surprised...but then i forgot I had not saved in half an hour, so I had to backtrack and go redo everything I did. Fuck me.

Also, flame cannon is too damned good once maxed out for being one of the earliest shards one can get. 5 fireballs at a time, super cheap mana wise, and spammable. I have pretty much mowed down every boss with this single shard alone. It's crazy.

Petrae

That game-breaking bug makes me glad that I haven’t opened my PS4 copy yet. I only spent an hour or so on the XBO version, so I’ll just restart it next week.

Definitely shitty for those who spent hours on the game, only to have it broken by a patch and having that time wasted. I’m glad I haven’t had time to get that invested yet. While the overall response is positive, shit like this isn’t okay and those responsible for the game are deserving of some criticism and venting toward them (within reason).

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Is there a way to see which weapons have techniques on them from the equipment screen?

What does mastering a technique do?

Last edited:

Spukc

Finally i finished the game on normal.
can't wait now to 100% it and find all the secrets.

And then next week do it all again on the switch XD

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Is there a way to see which weapons have techniques on them from the equipment screen?

What does mastering a technique do?

Mastering a technique lets you use it with any weapon of the same type, e.g. greatswords, boots, rather than just the weapons listed on the technique journal entry.

Archives --> techniques will list everything you've successfully used, and archives --> journal entries will list all the technique entries. Once you master the relevant techniques for your preferred weapon type(s) you shouldn't need it listed on the equipment screen.

Top Bottom